was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

I started the depokote last night..im shaking so bad...tommorow i will try to space teh xanax out more...i made it 41/2 hours since my last dose but i am wondering if i could make it longer i might be better...............gaba is a neurtransmitter in the brain or something like that and depokote is suppose to get it back to where it should be  thank u all for caring

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

also i find it odd that last weekend i was working sat and sun at my new part time job and now i feel so down and out no happiness no joy no emotion,,,the only thing i did differnt was experiment between xnax and ativan those 2 days and also start teh celexa which i kinda wonder if the celexa pushed me over the edge but im sitting here today trying to do things and i feel so empty and i feel dread,,,could it be the xanax causing a deep depresssion i haave to fight this i know but when i feel so emotionless like i just dont care anymore its hard i dont know where to turn i guess i just have to do what the dr said take the xanx and this depokote and pray i can make it

All benzos have a tendency to cause the blunting of emotions and even depression, hazy.  I doubt that going back and forth between the xanax and ativan caused it.  In fact, celexa is an anti-depressant (A/D) so your doctor has already started treating you for depression.  Most  A/D's take 3-4 weeks to take affect so you need to just keep plodding along as best you can. My depression started to lift about a month before I finished my taper and I've been slowly getting my feelings back ever since.

That is great that you have a part-time job on weekends.  I know it will help out your family and it's good for you not to be alone at the house too much, either.  :thumbsup:

my dr told me i could stop the celexa becasue that seems to be why i freaked out and had the racing mind i havent taking for 2 nights nad im not having the racing thoughts only the emptiness no joy feeling and supposely the depokote will help with that

Hey hazy,

I am not sure if taking the xanax every 4 hours is making you feel depressed. Maybe try spreading it out and taking it every 6-8 hours, instead of every 4 hours? Withdrawals and tolerance to any benzo can cause depression. The following is from the Ashton Manual. Notice the very first sentence:

Depression, aggression, obsessions. Depressive symptoms are common both during long-term benzodiazepine use and in withdrawal. It is not surprising that some patients feel depressed considering the amalgam of other psychological and physical symptoms that may assail them. Sometimes the depression becomes severe enough to qualify as a "major depressive disorder", to use the psychiatric term. This disorder includes the risk of suicide and may require treatment with psychotherapy and/or antidepressant drugs.

Severe depression may result from biochemical changes in the brain induced by benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines are known to decrease the activity of serotonin and norepinephrine (noradrenaline), neurotransmitters believed to be closely involved in depression. Antidepressant drugs including the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs such as Prozac) are thought to act by increasing the activity of such neurotransmitters.

Depression in withdrawal may become protracted (see section on protracted symptoms) and if it does not lift within a few weeks and is unresponsive to simple reassurance and encouragement, it is worth seeking a medical opinion and possibly taking an antidepressant drug (see section on adjuvant medication). Depression in withdrawal responds to antidepressant drugs in the same way as depressive disorders where benzodiazepines are not involved. If, as in many cases, an antidepressant drug is already being taken along with the benzodiazepine, it is important to continue the antidepressant until after benzodiazepine withdrawal is complete. Withdrawal from the antidepressant can be considered separately at a later stage (See Chapter II, Schedule 13).

Aggressive disorders are also associated with low serotonin activity (among other factors) and the appearance of anger and irritability during benzodiazepine withdrawal may involve similar mechanisms as depression. However, these symptoms usually disappear spontaneously and do not last very long. Obsessive disorders (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, OCD) also respond to SSRIs, suggesting a similar mechanism. Obsessive traits may be temporarily increased during withdrawal and seem to reflect a mixture of anxiety and depression. These tend to settle spontaneously as anxiety levels decline.

I am tapering off of klonopin, and I have my share of depressed and lonely days. Hope you feel better...

Lori :smitten:

Thanks, hazy.  I woke up really sad but I feel a little better now.  When I wake up like that, I wonder if I had a sad dream or something.  I used to wake up and find I had been crying in my sleep so I think it must have been bad dreams.

Now that you've dropped the celexa and started the depakote, you seem to be feeling a bit better as well.  I don't think any of us feel 100% but we do look for any little improvement for encouragement.  :)

hi Last night was my 3rd night on the depakote er yesterday afternoon  i started notice i was breathing kinda funny and my blood pressure and heart rate were going lower than usual not to bad and i started getting that swaying dizziness that i had when on the ativan im on the xanx and as of friday evening i have been going between 6 to 8 hours before taking one,,,anyone have any ideas why i would start feeling so dizzy and kinda week again...i was beginning to think the depakote was gonna work now im feeling this way while standing up curling my hair i kept feeling like i was swaaying...is this wierd or what and my heart rate was up to 100 which i know isnt high but im kinda just feeling funny even in the chest area and i know i have had the feeling before so i dont think its my heart but im scared and having trouble concentrating could it be from spacing out the xanax whne i was used to it every 4 to 5 hours and now im going longer? Any words would be great

Hey, hazy.

It's best not to dwell on everything you are feeling. You are probably going to have strange feelings while tapering off the benzo.  A lot of people get dizzy for a while but it eventually passes. There just isn't any way around feeling weird from time to time getting off benzos.  Acceptance and patience will help  you get past it.

But i havnet begun tapering just off the ativan and on the xanx im thinking its the depokte i have taking 3 of them hope its not an allergic reaction to it my heart is racing and im not thinking right im scared and dizzy I remember i was on depokote years ago and was not allergic to it then so why would i be allergic now?

You aren't allergic to the depakote.  And you don't have to be tapering to suffer withdrawal symptoms.  It's called tolerance withdrawal and it happens when your body says "give me more".  The only way to heal is to get off the ativan or xanax, whichever one you are on now.

But i have such a heaviness in my chest and i looked up allergic reactions and it said tightness in chest anxiety dizziness faint feeling and im having all these started yesterday afternoon i was sitting in my chair and felt like i was gonna fall over

im scared maybe its hyventaltion can u do that all day

It's not allergies. Just because it matches up with something you read on the net, doesn't mean it's right. Beeper is right - ALL of your symptoms are due to Benzo Tolerance and Tolerance Withdrawal. Playing russion roullette with these meds is only going to screw you up further...

Yes, hyperventilation can last all day. I have had it last WEEKS and it's unpleasant.

But i have such a heaviness in my chest and i looked up allergic reactions and it said tightness in chest anxiety dizziness faint feeling and im having all these started yesterday afternoon i was sitting in my chair and felt like i was gonna fall over

im scared maybe its hyventaltion can u do that all day

When you are anxious, you can develop a lot of symptoms that are the same as those reported with benzo withdrawal and tolerance withdrawal.  Hyperventilating can bring on an outright panic attack.  You really need to learn how to distract and calm yourself.  Here are some symptoms of anxiety from the National Anxiety & Panic Disorder News:

Anxiety & Panic Attacks Symptoms

It is not important to try and understand the physiology of the human body but it is important to remember that each of the anxiety symptoms you experience can be explained. Do not dwell on what you are feeling, instead, project yourself into more useful subjects, do something constructive, exercise, learn a skill or craft and escape the body trap.

The following list of anxiety symptoms includes the most common ones reported by actual anxiety sufferers. Whilst the list is fairly comprehensive, there may be symptoms that you experience that are not listed; this does not mean that you are more ill or suffering from something else, we are all biologically different in many ways and some people simply react differently during anxiety.

Anxiety Symptoms

Smothering sensations and Shortness of breath

Racing heart, slow heart beat, palpitations

Chest Pain

Lump in throat & Difficulty swallowing

Skin losing colour (blanching)

Sweating

Shaking or shivering (Visibly or internally)

Neck & shoulder pain & numbness in face or head

Rapid gastric emptying

Indigestion, heartburn, constipation and diarrhea

Symptoms of urinary tract infection

Skin rashes

Weakness in arms & tingling in the hands or feet

Electric shock feeling anywhere in the body

Dry mouth

Insomnia

Nightmares

Fears of going mad or losing control

Increased depression & suicidal feelings

Aggression

Symptoms like 'flu'

Distorted vision

Disturbed hearing

Hormone problems

Headaches & feelings of having a tight band around head

Sore eyes

Agoraphobia

Hallucinations

Creeping or pins and needles sensations in the skin

Increased sensitivity to light, sound, touch, and smell

Hyperactivity

Dramatic increase in sexual feelings

Pain in the face or jaw that resembles a toothache

Derealisation and depersonalisation

Benzos can and will cause anxiety.  Whether you are still taking them, in tolerance, tapering, or completely off and recovering, you can still have full blown anxiety attacks from benzo use. 

Hazy, you need to get really familiar with all the symptoms and affects of what benzos can do to you.  Tapering off benzos is not an easy job and you need to work on it everyday, we can only do so much for you here.  Once you have taken control of what you are going to do, and what you are going to taper off of, you will feel much better and have an idea of what is going on with you and what to expect. 

This is a link to the Ashton Manual, you will need to print it out and read it.  Look at it everytime you have something going on that scares you, you will find that it's very normal for tolerace to benzos. 

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm#0

My hubby got really drunk ;ast night and hit me in the left side of the head and i think the forehead as he knocked my glasses off im scared imight have a concuncion but he says im fine my left eye seems kinda fuzzy but maybe its cause my glasses are off kilter after getting them knocked off im scared and im having severre anxiety i cant go to the dr because my hubby is a wonderful man and has never hit me before,,,how would i know if i have head conconsion and what should i do

My hubby got really drunk ;ast night and hit me in the left side of the head and i think the forehead as he knocked my glasses off im scared imight have a concuncion but he says im fine my left eye seems kinda fuzzy but maybe its cause my glasses are off kilter after getting them knocked off im scared and im having severre anxiety i cant go to the dr because my hubby is a wonderful man and has never hit me before,,,how would i know if i have head conconsion and what should i do

Hi Sweetpea,

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I hope he has apologized and promises it will never happen again. Symptoms of a concussion are headache, ringing in the ears and nausea/vomiting. If sounds like your glasses are off kilter. If you start having these other symptoms, you may want to be checked out by a doctor. Please try and relax.

T2 :smitten:

Hi sweetpea,

Listen, I was physically abused by a boyfriend when I was young. It only happened when he was drunk and he always said it wouldn't happen again.  I know you think your husband is wonderful but if it happened once, it will happen again, even if it's never happened before. Please tell someone. This shouldn't be kept a secret.

1. GO TO THE HOSPITAL and get your head checked. A conncusion isn't something to play around with.

2. CALL THE POLICE and let them know about what he did. Once an abuser, ALWAYS an abuser. This won't end unless you do something.

i made it thru yesterday without a headache i wonder how long after being hit you still might get a concusion,i made dinner i drove the car could i do all that with a concussion,my hubby was justr so out of it i never saw him that way before and he had to ak me what even started teh argument,,,,im hoping i am ok because as i said i cant go to the dr and i would never report him to the cops my marriage would be over just because he made one mistake im just hoping a concusion doesnt happen days after being hit there was no blood  i have no lump on my head or anythign nd my visoin is ok i thank u all for your conserns i waa just scared more because i was getting a bit better with my new med and anxiety adn depresion now i feel all down again..anayone with experience with concusions

Hey hazy,

I have never had a concusion before, but I think you would have had a headache and extreme drowsiness by now if you had one. I know you don't want to report this incident, but if it happens again, it might be a pattern that is forming. Just concerned for your welfare. Try to relax as best you can and maybe you can get back to the way you were feeling before all this happened.

Lori :smitten:

thanks im feeling abit confused but who knows if thats from the hit on the head or me im praying i will be ok im feeling still depresssed and i thought the depakote was suppose to help that

Hazy  :hug:

Depression takes a long time to treat and depakote is more of a mood-stabilizer anyway.  I'm pretty sure you need to be on it for several weeks before you can tell a difference but you might want to call your doctor's office and ask.  Also, confusion and depression are common when on benzos.  I have much less of both since I stopped taking mine in July.