was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

Im having a bit of tightness in my chest but have not taken a buspar since yestrday at 9 am.....now only on xnax and started celexa this afternoon    only took 2 doses of buspar,,,would it still be in my system i wont go to dr

Hi hazy,

A lot of people experience tightness in the chest, so this may still be from your Xanax crossover. Have you take an anti-depressant before? The Buspar probably did not have time to build up in your system. You should be fine.

T2 :smitten:

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh mY GOD Now i think im allergic to teh celexa cause my tounge feels funny i took the 10 mg at 2 pm my time..imsick of this i cant be allergic to everythign

Oh mY GOD Now i think im allergic to teh celexa cause my tounge feels funny i took the 10 mg at 2 pm my time..imsick of this i cant be allergic to everythign

Did you do your research on Celexa and it's potential side effects? You need to calm down and try not to over analyze everything. You are really just making your anxiety worse.

Im thinking this xanx is making me feel so wieerd im gonna switch back to ativan and see if the worst depressed feeling go away..i hope i dont get dizzy,,,,but the pharmacy said it might of been the risperdal causing the dizziness because i wasnt dizzy when i first went on ativan and the xanax dont make me dizzy...wouldnt they both make me dizzy since same kind of drug

Im thinking this xanx is making me feel so wieerd im gonna switch back to ativan and see if the worst depressed feeling go away..i hope i dont get dizzy,,,,but the pharmacy said it might of been the risperdal causing the dizziness because i wasnt dizzy when i first went on ativan and the xanax dont make me dizzy...wouldnt they both make me dizzy since same kind of drug

Hi hazy,

I don't know what could be making you dizzy. Even though Xanax and Ativan are in the same class, they are not exactly the same.

yeah its funny im nt dizzy on the xanax i just feel more depressed on it and im having the wierd feelings in my head so its 1 pm and i just took a ativan im kinda scared because its been about 14 days since i have had a ativan im sure im not allergic to them since i was on them since aug till nov 13 even though i sometimes gota burnin in my cheeks after taking it,,,,i guess i freak about being allergic to much already now 10 min after taking it i think my mouth feels funny,,,,im a sick person

well i tried the ativan again for 2 doses made have the wierd head feeling and worse dizziness than the xanax so im back on the xanax,,,,ok i was on 0.5  mg of ativan ever 4 hours up to 3 mgs a day i split the pills in half and took it every 4 hours instead of 8 hours now on the xnax they pprescribed 1 mg 3 times a day bbut felt too stron so im taking 1/2 mg 3 times a day and having sucha depressed feeling and again some dizziness do u think im taking to little xanax or to much and could all my problems be withdrawal somewhat feromt he ativan even though on xnax i cant sleep well and i sweat so at night,,,,im becoming very upset by how im feeling,,,,if i take to little xanax am i at risk for a seizure

Hey hazy,

I think the switching back and forth from the ativan to xanax and xanax to ativan is probably causing some of your issues. Anytime someone does a cross-over, there is a time of adjustment and results with symptoms. I would recommend to stay on one of them and stabilize, then start doing your taper. People who are at risks for seizures are those who cold turkey from their benzo. What have you decided to stay on and are you taking it at the same time (s) everyday??

Lori :smitten:

im on the xanax just tried 2 doses of aivan,,,,,,i cant sleep i sweat feel wierd  i feel wierd in the head been on the xanax now since nov 13 08 any more ideas what could be up plus i have lost interest in all things

im on the xanax just tried 2 doses of aivan,,,,,,i cant sleep i sweat feel wierd  i feel wierd in the head been on the xanax now since nov 13 08 any more ideas what could be up plus i have lost interest in all things

You need to get on and stay on the same one until you feel relatively stable. Switching back and forth will only add to your weird feelings. As far as losing interest in things, it would be best to force yourself to distract yourself.

Im at a loss this xnaax is taking all my emotion away i have no interest in anything im trying to stay busy and do what i need to do i took the celexa last night i ddint want to get up this mornigni lay there thinking abaout dying i may have to try ativan again i know i shoudnt be switching but i think the dizziness must be better than this feeling that im in a black hole,,,,,,,,i seem to remenber feeling this way when thay tried me on xanax back in feb and i was tapered off it using klonopin and in the ned was put on ativan any advice please

i may have to try ativan again i know i shoudnt be switching but i think the dizziness must be better than this feeling that im in a black hole,,,,,,,,i seem to remenber feeling this way when thay tried me on xanax back in feb and i was tapered off it using klonopin and in the ned was put on ativan any advice please

Hey hazy,

If you feel better about tapering off of the ativan, then switch back, but don't switch again. All the switching can be causing you that "black hole" feeling and other symptoms. If you switch back to the ativan, hold on it for atleast 7 days before you begin your taper. I am so sorry that you are having all these feelings. These benzos can really mess with us physically, emotionally, and mentally. Once you start tapering, you will probably start feeling better. I know after my year of tolerance to klonopin, I still had withdrawal symptoms, but I felt better by my 3rd cut. Just hang on and take it one day at a time, sometimes, one hour at a time.

Im at a loss this xnaax is taking all my emotion away i have no interest in anything im trying to stay busy and do what i need to do i took the celexa last night i ddint want to get up this mornigni lay there thinking abaout dying i may have to try ativan again i know i shoudnt be switching but i think the dizziness must be better than this feeling that im in a black hole,,,,,,,,i seem to remenber feeling this way when thay tried me on xanax back in feb and i was tapered off it using klonopin and in the ned was put on ativan any advice please

Just keep telling yourself, this is just the pills and it is temporary.  I won't always feel like this.

This is from the Ashton Manual:

Depression, emotional blunting. Long-term benzodiazepine users, like alcoholics and barbiturate-dependent patients, are often depressed, and the depression may first appear during prolonged benzodiazepine use. Benzodiazepines may both cause and aggravate depression, possibly by reducing the brain's output of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and norepinephrine (noradrenaline). However, anxiety and depression often co-exist and benzodiazepines are frequently prescribed for mixed anxiety and depression. Sometimes the drugs seem to precipitate suicidal tendencies in such patients. Of the first 50 of the patients attending my withdrawal clinic (reported in 1987), ten had taken drug overdoses requiring hospital admission while on chronic benzodiazepine medication; only two of these had a history of depressive illness before they were prescribed benzodiazepines. The depression lifted in these patients after benzodiazepine withdrawal and none took further overdoses during the 10 months to 3.5 years follow-up period after withdrawal. In 1988 the Committee on Safety of Medicines in the UK recommended that "benzodiazepines should not be used alone to treat depression or anxiety associated with depression. Suicide may be precipitated in such patients".

"Emotional anaesthesia", the inability to feel pleasure or pain, is a common complaint of long-term benzodiazepine users. Such emotional blunting is probably related to the inhibitory effect of benzodiazepines on activity in emotional centres in the brain. Former long-term benzodiazepine users often bitterly regret their lack of emotional responses to family members - children and spouses or partners - during the period when they were taking the drugs. Chronic benzodiazepine use can be a cause of domestic disharmony and even marriage break-up.

I would be surprised if these effects lifted by switching back to ativan since ativan also causes the same depression and emotional blunting.  Do call a hotline or call your doctor if the feelings about dying every turn into thinking about ways to do it. 

I actually started tapering of my benzo because of depression and started to feel better about mid-way through my taper.  There really is life after benzos.  If you need some encouragement, I highly recommend looking through the Success Stories.

Thanks for the answers BUT when i was on the ativan I did not feel like i was in thsi BLACK hole i have a call in to my dr but i think i will go ahead and try the ativan  hopefully i wont get the dizziness a pharmaissit told me maybe the xanx is too stron g for me and its making me feel this way,,,i have no idea

i Just need to feel something..............could this be from not tapering the ativan and will i need to taper the xanx to go back to ativan

Hey hazy,

could this be from not tapering the ativan and will i need to taper the xanx to go back to ativan

I would not recommend taking your xanax at the same time as the ativan. So, if you are going to switch back to the ativan, go ahead and do so, but don't take the xanax as well so you can taper off of it. You just really should stay on the ativan by itself for 7-14 days, stabilize, then begin your taper off the ativan. I hope the ativan brings you out of the black hole feeling. Keep us posted....

ok its 12 10 pm my time and i just took a 0.5 mg ativan how long should that last this morning at 4 am i had a 0.5 mg xnax and later i was freaking so i took another o.5 mg at 7 am but im allowed 1 mg of xnax 3 times a day but i wont take no more today as now i  have had the ativan i pray it dont make me have that wierd dizziness or fast heartrate im having such trouble concentrating  how can benzos affects you differnetly

Hey hazy,

Were you taking 1mg of ativan 3 times a day, originally? If so, you need to take 3mg total a day of it and at the same times each day. It is very important not just to take them throughout the day when you "feel" like you need it. I take my klonopin 2 times a day. Sometimes, I have withdrawal symptoms at 3 in the afternoon, but I have to wait until 5 pm to take my next dose. It is hard to wait, but I try to do things to keep my mind off of the time (like get on here or go for a walk). I am not exactly sure how/why each benzo affects people differently. It may have something to do with their half-life?? Even the same benzo, like klonopin, can have different side effects or withdrawal symptoms on 2 people who are taking the same dose. It is really hard to say. If you have any other questions, just let us know...

yes orginally i was on 1 mg 3 times a day but i cut thre dose to 0.5 mg like every 5 hours but no more than 3 pills a day,,,im wondering ig i was taking it too close togehter and maybe thats where the dizziness came from because when i was first prescribed it i took one every 8 hours i think,,,,,,,,,i took it abit ago and im thinking im allgericv to it,,,,,,,,how silly,,,,,i know i didnt feel the greatest on it but did not feel like in such a black hole,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so anyways im not sure how much of it i should take now and how often with stopping the xanx which i was taking 0.5 mg every 5 hours,,,,,about and taking about 2 mg instead of 3 mg also on the ativan i was down to 2 1/2 mg

oh and im praying the ativan doesnt raise my heartrate thats something else it did..i feel so out of it hard tiome thinking,,,,,,,,,i thought benzos made us feel up i know when i was first on them all those years ago i felt up and then the last 6 years ago up till lasrt year i drank beer wirh my xnax and i was so happy..my hubby sometimes trys to get me to have a drink but im afraid too even though i did it for years........and why would ativan casue dizziness aftr being on it 2 1/2 months like i said i didnt have dizziness when first put on it,,,,just some questions and do u think since i stopped it nov 13 i could be allergic to it now as long as this black hole lifts i guess i have to give the celexa a fair try also

I hope someone will answer this post if i was taking 0.5 mg of xanax 3 to 4 times a day and now im going back to my 0.5 mg of ativan do i need to adjust it i was taking it well a total of 2 1/2 mg a day,i dont want to feel any withdrawal and im so praying the ativan doesnt give me to dizziness or the wierd shakey walking and then i can continue to taper off it once i am stabilized again,,,,most pharmacys i talk to say tehat its unusual for xanax to cause this deep darkness and blank feeling im having so i just dont know..i guess i will go ahead and take teh celexa again tonight,,hope all this switching meds today from xaanx to ativan dont mess with my blood pressure and heartrate,,,i would appraciate any words,sometimes i feel the ativan makes me feel week adn the xanx didnt

I hope someone will answer this post if i was taking 0.5 mg of xanax 3 to 4 times a day and now im going back to my 0.5 mg of ativan do i need to adjust it i was taking it well a total of 2 1/2 mg a day,i dont want to feel any withdrawal and im so praying the ativan doesnt give me to dizziness or the wierd shakey walking and then i can continue to taper off it once i am stabilized again,,,,most pharmacys i talk to say tehat its unusual for xanax to cause this deep darkness and blank feeling im having so i just dont know..i guess i will go ahead and take teh celexa again tonight,,hope all this switching meds today from xaanx to ativan dont mess with my blood pressure and heartrate,,,i would appraciate any words,sometimes i feel the ativan makes me feel week adn the xanx didnt

What we have suggested is to find what works best and stabilize on it. If you feel the Xanax is creating this severe depression, I suggested you talk to your doctor before switching back to Ativan. Going back and forth is not helpful.

im doing the ativan and as i said i hope it wont make me all dizzy and funny feeling again,but i am having some trouble concentrating again tonight,,,do u think its from switching i actually have been having it all along since the first switch on nov 13,im so afraid now i will have withdrawals from the xanax

im doing the ativan and as i said i hope it wont make me all dizzy and funny feeling again,but i am having some trouble concentrating again tonight,,,do u think its from switching i actually have been having it all along since the first switch on nov 13,im so afraid now i will have withdrawals from the xanax

It is hard to say why you are having trouble concentrating. It could be from switching. I also sent you a personal message, have you read that yet?

yes i got the pm thanks and again im sorry..i feel like my mind is leaving me it didnt happen this fast when i switched from ativan to xanax,,i dont know what to do i had 1 xanax today and 1 ativan coulsd it be withdrawal from the xanx i know before back in feb i was on xanax and later they used klonopin to taper me off,,,but this time there was no taper off the ativan onto teh xaanx and i guess no taper off the xanax to get back on the ativan,,,,do u think the celexa will help my mind

Just want to let everyone know that i am also sweetpea1960,,,i had forgot my login at the time i made hazyworld,,im so sorry when i remembered my sweetpea login i was ashamed to let anyone know i was so forgeetful as i feel like im losing my mind so please if you respond to sweetpea do it here to hazyworld thanks for all the advice