was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

I may be on to something about the burning i was reading back to nov 26 on here and my face cheeks were burning then and i thought it was the ativan so maybe thats what it is,i took 1/2 mg this mornig as needed and 1/2 yestrday i woke up with my legs burning and my face is burning like crazy..also would cuting back to 1/2 mg klonopin 2 times a day from 1 mg 2 timesa a day make me dizzy?

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey hazy,

Over the last 14 days since I have been klonopin free, I have had the burning in my face. Feels like my skin is on fire. Hot and cold feelings are very typical withdrawal symptoms, so let's not worry about this. Just accept it as a healing symptom. Glad to see that you have decided to taper off the klonopin. These benzos are not our friends and can truly cause so many mental and physical problems. Hope you feel better.....

Lori :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
Update onme was taking off lexapro oh it made me ill,was put back on cymbalta for 4 days terrible dierehha,now ;last night was started on abilify 5 mg and still on Klono still scared ,im scared about the abilify,i wss on risperdal once ...Any thoughts

Update onme was taking off lexapro oh it made me ill,was put back on cymbalta for 4 days terrible dierehha,now ;last night was started on abilify 5 mg and still on Klono still scared ,im scared about the abilify,i wss on risperdal once ...Any thoughts

Hi hazy,

We can't possibly comment on all these different drugs as we are not doctors. Changing medicines so often will cause problems in itself. The only choice doctors have at this point is to keep trying different things until one seems to work since what works for one person may not work for another.  All psych drugs do tend to have some side effects, it's up to you to do the research. I wish we had definitive answers for you but even doctors don't have all the answers. I hope this combination works out for you.

T2 :smitten:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hazy,

I just posted in your old thread and then was directed here. 

Currently I'm Zoloft and Klonopin.  I see from some of the posts here that you've been having problems for awhile.

Why are you being switched so much from drug to drug? 

My personal experience with SSRI's isn't really a pretty one.  I'm not only having depression from the benzos, I'm clinically depressed as well.  Lexapro was my wonder drug.  Within 3 days of swallowing it I was a new person!  I did this off and on for a couple years and then the last time I tried the Lexapro I had a reaction to it.  I'm not sure if it had anything to do with using it intermittently for years or what.  Then they tried me on Paxil CR.  The day after swallowing the first pill, I had some of the side effects that the Lexapro had hit me with.  After months of denying I was depressed, really scared out of my mind of SSRI's, I accepted a prescription for Zoloft.  I've done well on Zoloft at 50mg, but when I tried to increase my dose to 75mg, my body reacted again so I backed down to the 50mg and have been there since.

Now I've begun my Klonopin taper and will not even think about the SSRI, other than to swallow it, until I'm benzo free!  Right now I'm at .5/.5/.5 on the Klonopin and hoping to make a cut within the next week.

The diarrhea you mentioned could very well be from the benzos and not the Cymbalta.  It's really hard to predict those things when there are several drugs partying at the same time!

Why were you told to take Abilify??  OMG I want to throw a brick at the tv when the commercial comes on.  "oh is your antidepressant not enough... here have more drugs!"    :tickedoff:

Sorry for the rant!  I'm just so sick and tired of doctors and their drugs they know nothing about, but dish out so freely!  I also agree with T2 in her statement of "Changing medicines so often will cause problems in itself."  Do yourself a favor.... pick your poison and stay with it!  Right now I'm sure your body is in a really confused state.

I do hope you get to feeling better soon!      :hug:

Phyllis

Why were you told to take Abilify??  OMG I want to throw a brick at the tv when the commercial comes on.  "oh is your antidepressant not enough... here have more drugs!"     :tickedoff:

[move] :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:[/move]

Thank you Phyllis, for the laugh once again. I needed it! I CANNOT STAND that commercial about the Abilify! Makes me want to throw a brick at the tv as well! I also am amazed at commercials about medications. They spend 30 seconds reading off all the side effects and some of the side effects sound WORSE than what the medicine is taken for to begin with!!! Oh, yes, and possible death???!!!

Oh, yes, and possible death???!!!

Ohhh I want 2 prescriptions of that!!  Sounds lovely!    :idiot:

You're right about the side effects being alot worse most of the time than the actual symptoms you are having!  Too bad once the brain picks up the name of the drug, it keeps repeating it over and over so it doesn't forget.  In the meantime, all of the side effects have been said and gone through like they are nothing!!  I know personally when I think of Zoloft, I don't remember a damn side effect in that commercial because the little white bubble guy was so cute and reminded me of myself!   

The really sad part about pharmaceutical companies and their drug side effects, is that if you take a xanax and stub your toe during trials, they have to report that as a side effect.  Then those who are truely looking for what the drug does, has so much babble to look at it's all confusing!

Phyllis    :smitten:

Side Effects have actually kept me from taking prescriptions that I have already purchased!! I don't remember the Zoloft commercial you are talking about with the white bubble guy. But, if I see it, I will think about you!!

Now I remember the commercial! It's older though, isn't it. Thanks for posting the link for it.

Sorry, hazy for our hijacking your thread for a couple of posts!

Hey Hazy,

How have you been feeling?  Did the Abilify agree with you?

also would cuting back to 1/2 mg klonopin 2 times a day from 1 mg 2 timesa a day make me dizzy?
  Yes!

Phyllis  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
i forgot my password and this account this came up thanks to all about the  negative words on teh commercial on abilify,,,,it has helped me butim starting to have bad dizziness again  Hazyworld

Hey hazy,

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better. What benzo are you on right now and how have you been doing? Did you ever go to a hopital/detox?

Im on klonopin na d the abilify like i said im having the bad dizziness again,,,wondering if the abilify is doing it been on it since jan 20  no detox

Hey hazy,

I thought the dr. prescribed Abilify to someone who is already on an antidepressant. Are you also on an antidepressant or just the klonopin and Abilify? I am not sure if dizziness is a side effect of Abilify. I know it can be a withdrawal symptom from the klonopin. Have you asked your dr. or the pharmacist about that?

i found i cant take anridepressants so just on abilify.The dizziness a\has started the last couple weeks,I am trying to cut baack on klonopin,,,i ask my dr and she told me to take 1/2 a klonopin and see if my dizziness gets better

i found i cant take anridepressants so just on abilify.The dizziness a\has started the last couple weeks,I am trying to cut baack on klonopin,,,i ask my dr and she told me to take 1/2 a klonopin and see if my dizziness gets better

Hey hazy,

Did you just drop down half of your klonopin in one day? If so, you may get more withdrawal symptoms than just dizziness. Remember, it's better to go slowly when you are tapering. I just don't want you to be worse off by making such a big drop so fast in your dose. Take care....

yes i dropped from 05 mg to a half of one morning and night and i was on 2 whole pills and one half....im taking 1/2 in morning 1/2 A  in middle of afternoon and 1/2 atnight most nights for 4 days now i think how should i do it

ok i want off the klonopin was taking 1 .05 mg in am 1/2 at middle of day and 1 at night,,,been cutting them in half per dr. but she didnt say how often to take one so im taking 1/2 in am 1/2 in afternoon and 1/2 at bedtime total 1 1/2 pills.............This mornign i went back to a whole one in am as my dizziness and anxiety got worse.I was wondering if i was cutting back wrong,,by taking a half about every 5 hours,thats on .25 mg at a time down from 05 mg,,,any advice

Hi sweetpea,

What does the directions say on the bottle?? If it says take 3X/day, that would be every 8 hours. Cutting your dosage too much at one time could make you dizzy too!

They are .05 mg and it says take 2 1/2 pills a day,she changed it from when i first started them in jan,back then it was take 1 every twelve hours for a total of 2 but then i was on aivan also and when i stopped ativan she upped it to 2 1/2 pills. So im gonna go back to whole in am i think and see if i do better but would still like to taper off

This mornign i went back to a whole one in am as my dizziness and anxiety got worse.I was wondering if i was cutting back wrong

Hey hazy,

Anxiety and dizziness can both be withdrawal symptoms. When you get withdrawal symptoms, the worst thing a person can do is to updose and take more to make the symptoms go away. It is not really solving the problem, but making the problem worse by doing this. It's very hard to push thru the symptoms, but that is what a person has to do when they are tapering off the benzo. Taking the same amount at the same time everyday throughout the taper is the way to go. I hate to see that your dr. uped your dose of klonopin from 2 pills a day to 2 1/2 pills a day since January. Maybe this is because you stopped the Ativan, but cold turkeying the Ativan can give you withdrawals as well. If you are interested in a tapering schedule off the klonopin, I could make one for you. Just let me know how much you are on and when you take it.

im on 2 1/2 pills a day  one usually at 6 or 7 am the 1/2 about 6 hours laterand the other one at about 6pm.But the last two days i went down to like only 1 1/2 pills and im very dizzy today............I so want to taper off so YES if you can tell me how would be great!

im on 2 1/2 pills a day   one usually at 6 or 7 am the 1/2 about 6 hours laterand the other one at about 6pm.But the last two days i went down to like only 1 1/2 pills and im very dizzy today............I so want to taper off so YES if you can tell me how would be great!

Hi sweetpea,

We recommend that you get on a consistent dosage taken the same time every day. If you have .50mg tablets, most here are able to taper by 1/4 of a tablet (.125mg) every week or two.