Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Klonopin Klub

[re...]

Deep the problem with up dosing is how long it will work for you. I would try and go up by .5 mg increments but again no one can say what will or will not work - or how long it will work.

Is there another drug that you can get that would work better for you that is not a benzo. I would be asking this of the doctor.

One other thing-  I know you didn't ask, but if it were me I would have the endoscopic exam so I would rule everything medical out. I had an issue when I started this journey and I had one done - it is not that bad - better than a colonoscopy that is for sure and this way you will absolutely know it is the drug and not a physical thing. 

• Replies 31.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ca...]

• [NY...]

• [In...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Deep the problem with up dosing is how long it will work for you. I would try and go up by .5 mg increments but again no one can say what will or will not work - or how long it will work.

Is there another drug that you can get that would work better for you that is not a benzo. I would be asking this of the doctor.

One other thing-  I know you didn't ask, but if it were me I would have the endoscopic exam so I would rule everything medical out. I had an issue when I started this journey and I had one done - it is not that bad - better than a colonoscopy that is for sure and this way you will absolutely know it is the drug and not a physical thing.

my primary said there are 1000's of meds out there if this doesnt work to try..but try what my body knows first i guess..

and they want me to not have the endoscophy cause the ent looked at all the film and was pretty confident theres nothing there..and i am at a high risk of something happening on the table from the condition i am in..if i could post a pic of myself now everyone would not even recognize me i look like a crack head to say the least and everyone is worried about that more than anything getting some weight on..and since the swallowing got worse as i got lower thats what is making them pretty sure about everything and if there was a mass or anything there my primary said that the one updose i did that lasted quite a few weeks that i was able to eat wouldnt have helped.

Kgirl, did they knock you out for the Upper Scope I may need one as I take Previcid and I get reflux and when the Doc brought it up I said no drugs ok He rolled His eyes,so just wondering and the only way to see what going on is thru a scope @ Deep did you have an Upper Endo like kgirl asked @ WR, Hope your feeling better from that wave TG ?

Kgirl, did they knock you out for the Upper Scope I may need one as I take Previcid and I get reflux and when the Doc brought it up I said no drugs ok He rolled His eyes,so just wondering and the only way to see what going on is thru a scope @ Deep did you have an Upper Endo like kgirl asked @ WR, Hope your feeling better from that wave TG ?

he did a partial up my nose and down right below my vocal cords and i didnt let him use the lidocaine..he said not many ent do the total one up the nose into the stomach..and no they said cancel the endoscopy they are pretty sure its nothing from the 4 barium swallows and looking at the film.

the one test i would like to have is the barium swallow where you swallow different foods like applesauce, crackers and they watch it cause then if there was anything anywhere and it was sticking it would show up..then we would know too.

I think it's so important to go slow.  Real slow as I get down lower.  Yes health is important.  Had to updose yesterday which no one likes doing.  When in full withdrawl or unable to manage or survive. That's no good.  After reading on here and elsewhere the body needs to heal and the mind .  I've excepted this will be slower going then I ever imagined. 

Healing to everybody.

Deep:  I had a swallowing test which used an MRI I think  - this was after my endoscopic exam. You eat something - oatmeal and they watch it go down your body so you a a long time but it didn't hurt. I wonder if this is something to look into - but I am not a doctor so I don't know.

Can Do:  I had the propofal with it and I did not have any reaction at all to it. Actually the entire day I felt great - and then the following day I was just back to my crappy s/x from my taper.  It was no big deal to be honest and way better than a colonoscopy since there is no awful prep.    I think lots of others have had it with the same type of drug - and had no issues as well.  Better to find out what the heck is going on vs. wondering if it is the K or the V.  Sometimes it isn't the benzo. In my case it was.  Thank you again to K. 

Deep:  I had a swallowing test which used an MRI I think  - this was after my endoscopic exam. You eat something - oatmeal and they watch it go down your body so you a a long time but it didn't hurt. I wonder if this is something to look into - but I am not a doctor so I don't know.

Can Do:  I had the propofal with it and I did not have any reaction at all to it. Actually the entire day I felt great - and then the following day I was just back to my crappy s/x from my taper.  It was no big deal to be honest and way better than a colonoscopy since there is no awful prep.    I think lots of others have had it with the same type of drug - and had no issues as well.  Better to find out what the heck is going on vs. wondering if it is the K or the V.  Sometimes it isn't the benzo. In my case it was.  Thank you again to K.

I cant do the mri cause i have some metal clips they left in my neck when i was a kid and had my tonsils out cause if i could have an mri i sure would.

Benzogirl,

Do you have her phone number ?  ;)

It would be useful to talk to somewhat with that level of knowledge, if we could get past the cliches.

Yes, I do.

Hi CD.  Feeling better today, thanks.  Not sure what set me off yesterday, and happily I am not even trying to figure it out for a change.  Hope your eye is better today?

Deep, glad you checked in here.  I hope you and your doctor find something to help with your recovery.  If K is what gets you to eat, even if for two weeks, then perhaps that is your best bet.  I don't think anyone here really knows, only bits based on our individual experiences.  So, here's mine, fwiw.

If in your shoes, I would try every other option available to me before taking a chance on getting dependent on a higher dose of K, especially when your last updose only worked for two weeks.  This feels similar to what happened to me, and got me up to 8mg K - always trying to chase off withdrawal symptoms, and it just didn't work. I'd get minimal relief for 2 months maximum, then back into full-blown withdrawal.

Also,  "Difficulty with swallowing" is listed here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/clonazepam-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20072102 - a side effect of klonopin, so not sure why your doctor would want to increase your dose...seems like a better bet to try med that doesn't potentially cause what you're trying to treat.

Again, ultimately only you know what is best.  We're all here rooting for you.

Thinking of you, and sending my love.

WR

Hi CD.  Feeling better today, thanks.  Not sure what set me off yesterday, and happily I am not even trying to figure it out for a change.  Hope your eye is better today?

Deep, glad you checked in here.  I hope you and your doctor find something to help with your recovery.  If K is what gets you to eat, even if for two weeks, then perhaps that is your best bet.  I don't think anyone here really knows, only bits based on our individual experiences.  So, here's mine, fwiw.

If in your shoes, I would try every other option available to me before taking a chance on getting dependent on a higher dose of K, especially when your last updose only worked for two weeks.  This feels similar to what happened to me, and got me up to 8mg K - always trying to chase off withdrawal symptoms, and it just didn't work. I'd get minimal relief for 2 months maximum, then back into full-blown withdrawal.

Also,  "Difficulty with swallowing" is listed here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/clonazepam-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20072102 - a side effect of klonopin, so not sure why your doctor would want to increase your dose...seems like a better bet to try med that doesn't potentially cause what you're trying to treat.

WR

WR..thanks for writing..they are wanting me to get in with a speech therapist for swallowing techniques, so waiting for an appt for that..not sure of any other options..or what kind of meds the doctor could offer that would relax just my throat muscles..i think the theory of updosing is that i was better off before i started the taper to get off didnt have all these medical problems and sure didnt have the problem of being malnourished to the point of being on the verge of a feeding tube being put in and they are trying to avoid that for sure..

so kinda what you are saying is that once you start to get off the k if you try and updose you can never get back to just being the you on the dose you were on before you started to taper cause then you will just go into withdrawals there..cause i dont understand alot of that cause i was put on 4mgs of k 35 yrs ago and never upped or lowered it until i started 2 yrs ago..so hope you can maybe shed some light on that for me..

i have missed you and the others so much and sure hope good things are going on for you :)

big hugs

deep

WR

WR..thanks for writing..they are wanting me to get in with a speech therapist for swallowing techniques, so waiting for an appt for that..not sure of any other options..or what kind of meds the doctor could offer that would relax just my throat muscles..i think the theory of updosing is that i was better off before i started the taper to get off didnt have all these medical problems and sure didnt have the problem of being malnourished to the point of being on the verge of a feeding tube being put in and they are trying to avoid that for sure..

so kinda what you are saying is that once you start to get off the k if you try and updose you can never get back to just being the you on the dose you were on before you started to taper cause then you will just go into withdrawals there..cause i dont understand alot of that cause i was put on 4mgs of k 35 yrs ago and never upped or lowered it until i started 2 yrs ago..so hope you can maybe shed some light on that for me..

i have missed you and the others so much and sure hope good things are going on for you :)

big hugs

deep

I thought twice about posting, b/c I don't know how useful it is to share my individual exeperince, but I did, so I'll elaborate.  My memory is hazy but I think it was on 1mg of K when tolerance withdrawal set in - when I started getting weird symptoms, feeling sick, no medical cause.  I got my dose raised to 3mg, and felt better for a couple of months, then sick/anxious/depressed again.  This went on for ten years, until I got to 8-10 mg.  I thought you had mentioned also getting side effects/withdrawal symptoms from K before you tapered.  If not, then our experiences are very differnt. I wish I had answers, and could make your suffering stop.  Sending love and hugs,  WR

WR

big hugs

deep

I thought twice about posting, b/c I don't know how useful it is to share my individual exeperince, but I did, so I'll elaborate.  My memory is hazy but I think it was on 1mg of K when tolerance withdrawal set in - when I started getting weird symptoms, feeling sick, no medical cause.  I got my dose raised to 3mg, and felt better for a couple of months, then sick/anxious/depressed again.  This went on for ten years, until I got to 8-10 mg.  I thought you had mentioned also getting side effects/withdrawal symptoms from K before you tapered.  If not, then our experiences are very differnt. I wish I had answers, and could make your suffering stop.  Sending love and hugs,  WR

Individual experiences always help i think cause your post might just be the one that helps :)..i guess i had been in tolerance withdrawal for 30 yrs but i had learned to get around it and deal with it cause i didnt know what it was and i functioned i was doing so much with the auctions and mkt when i started the taper and now cant even take a shower alone and dont drive any more..i think the docs are wondering if i would level out to the way i was at 4mgs the same i had been on..but i know alot on here have updosed not sure to where they were before and it just wasnt the same and i sure dont want to go back up another 1.25mgs to find out it didnt help i have went up 1mg already but over time and no help yet..so thats why i dont know what to suggest to the docs cause as we all know they really dont know how to treat us..

and thanks for sharing your personal story and for always being so kind and helpful  :smitten:

deep

[27...]

WR

Hi everyone,

Deep, I completely agree with KGirl and NYW.I would find out what other medications could help you to swallow that wasn't klonopin. Since none of us are doctors, it is hard to give advice. Klonopin makes so many people sick. I would hate to see you updose and get sicker since swallowing issues can be caused by klonopin . I remember reading about someone that had a similar issue with swallowing ,but their doctor told them to continue tapering and their swallowing got better. I would go for a different medication that wasn't addictive. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. We are here for you for whatever decision that you make. Maybe one of the moderators could direct you towards a benzo wise doctor that you could consult with . Just an idea.

As for me, I'm just plugging along.

Just keep swimming,

Grace

Deep: I think Grace had a great idea.  Perhaps you can do a telephone consult with a benzo wise doctor.

For me when I updosed like WR I felt good for about 2 1/2 months. Then disaster.  It was at this time I realized I had no choice but to get off.  Like WR those awful, horrible days are now behind me. I went down to 99 lbs and could not gain an ounce. I looked and felt terrible.  I don't even want to remember how I felt and if were not for some buddies here and my husband I don't think I would have made it.  So for me the only way I have healed is to get off of this drug.  There are no easy answers for any of us - I wish there were.  You need to do what feels right to you and what you can live with -I can only speak to my own experience. 

Good to hear from you Deep but, so sorry you are still having such a rough time with swallowing and eating  :(  Glad you gained a couple of pounds-hope that will continue for you.  Hope the speech therapist is helpful, too.  Don't know what to tell you about updosing.  I tried it once but, it was just a little temporary help. 

Have the doctors suggested any alternative kinds of drugs instead of benzos?  Are your throat muscles tight and that's what's affecting you swallowing ability?  Perhaps a non-benzo muscle relaxer or anti-spasmodic would be helpful?

I'm thinking of you all the time and hoping for the best for you.  Stay strong and keep fighting!  Sending lots of hugs and support your way  :)

I just went and looked at my progress log not that i write alot in it but i did copy and paste some of my taper there cause i ran out of space on here..

i noticed that i was at my lowest in jan when this started basically..then i updosed in march..cause it would go away on its own when it happened in dec . 1.75mgs to 1.93mgs a day and got relief for about 3 weeks if i remember right and now i have updosed since then to 2.5mgs and now i am at 2.75mgs and have gotten no relief...if anything the health anxiety has gotten worse as far as my phobias of dying and everything..i cant even watch the news or a movie thats not basically a comedy i get to stressed out from it.

so now i am thinking that maybe the updose actually made it worse instead of better and not sure what to do about that one..i know i cant taper at the moment and risk any other strange s/xs to come along but i dont think going up would be a good idea either..i know when i look at my taper i was ok in nov and not having any problems and was still doing the auctions..i stopped them in jan.

maybe one of you can help me make some sense of this cause i know that my doctors cant they will tell me to either updose, stay or taper whatever feels right to me..but right now nothing seems right..i just need weight..

Burned and Grace thank you for writing me and i will have to talk to my doctor when i go back but thats not til the 6th and see what he says cause i dont know that the speech therapist will know anything at all about this being caused by a benzo.

hope this info helps someone find a missing piece to this puzzle for me that i cant seem to figure out i am getting desperate

thanks again my bb family  :smitten:

Hey K Klubbers,

Floating on the raft today in the swamp.  No windows last 4 days so, think I've got one foot in acute.  Will keep reducing dose to 0 if able to keep pre-benzo issues as calm as possible.

Hope you all have an ok day.  Take care!

Deep as I posted the answer for me was to cut my pills and add in the 2mg of Valium so I could taper the K.  Your answer will probably be different.  But if going up is not working and holding  I don't know what else you can do.  If I recall correctly you can't do a cross over to something else like Valium or Librium  but that is what I would try next if it were me other than cutting. 

Ah Burned - sorry to hear you are in acute. Hang in there buddy. 

Hey K Klubbers,

Floating on the raft today in the swamp.  No windows last 4 days so, think I've got one foot in acute.  Will keep reducing dose to 0 if able to keep pre-benzo issues as calm as possible.

Sorry you're hurting Burned.  I'll join you on the communal raft now bc everything I do seems to make me feel worse.  Just took a long walk and my GI went nuts.  Staying put now, easy does it.

Big hug,

WR

Sorry you are feeling worse too WR :(  Climb aboard.  I wonder if this is like some kind of healing crisis at this point?  "Easy does it" sounds good to me, too.

Hugs back at ya, 

Burned

Hey K Klubbers,

Sorry you're hurting Burned.  I'll join you on the communal raft now bc everything I do seems to make me feel worse.  Just took a long walk and my GI went nuts.  Staying put now, easy does it.

Big hug,

WR

WR, Sorry but as long as your floating all is good TG ! @ Burned sorry but your getting there so just stay afloat also ! Figured I would join the kamakazee  club here and decided to cut again 12% I figure like how much worse can it get ( don`t answer that ) Sending Huggs to (((( ALL )))) ~  CD

:laugh:  CD now you get the Chomper badge. 

I've got some of that ol' tripping on acid sxs stuff going on today, like the good old days.    :crazy:

Big huggs!

[d4...]