Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Poplady so your opinion would to rid the 3am first before any of the other 4? So I'm at .25 on the 3am dose.. Cut that in half is what you're saying.

Michelle,

Yes that's what I think.  Then if you can cut the 3am dose completely next time you only have 4 doses to worry about.  Then I would cut the other doses down equally.  You would have to keep a chart showing which dose you took from and take from a different one each time. This would help to keep your med level in your blood stream. Just remember to hold after each cut.  At any time you could do a water titration and take out what you are tapering for the day and divide the rest of it into 4 jars for 4 doses.  Whatever is easiest.  If you think you need the 3am dose, you could water titrate and divide into 5 doses.  I hope I haven't confused you too much.

Hugs, Poplady

satasha.....No...you must have misunderstood...I didn't want to cross over to valium also I meant by getting it without my insurance what someone else mentioned that I could just not go through my insurance and pay for it myself but it would probably cost more.

Anyways...I just started a new topic on the this board. I wanted to know what should I do take .25 mg morning and .25 mg as late as possible say 8 hrs later and then that would cut out my 1/4 at like 5pm. OR should I take .25mg and then split the afternoon dose in 1/4 afternoon and 1/4 a few hours later. I don't know what is best to do to keep the medication level. The fear I am having is just anxiety being afraid of tapering the ativan again. I tapered off Paxil back in July and the w/d were absolute hell! I am still not 100% myself although am MUCH better than a few months ago! I was on the paxil 4 years.  No one told me not to take it that long! So mad about that! 

Sunnydaze,

I am not sure what your total dose is for the day.  It looks as though you take .25 in the morning, .25 afternoon, and .25 at night.  What mg pill are you tapering from.  This would make a difference if it is too small to cut.  You might want to consider water titration and this way you could mix the pill, take out the days taper and divide the rest into 3 or 4 doses to keep it even in your bloodstream.  Let us know and then we can help you.

Hugs,

Poplady

Bloody hell, exactly when I started tapering less and going slower which of course is good, I had a car accident yesterday (not my fault, not injured) and that set me back quite a bit. I had the first anxiety attack for weeks. It lasted only 1 minute, but it sure brought back very bad memories.  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

I hope it won't stick.

Poplady I take .25mg morning about 6:30am then .125 mg aboug 12:30pm and .125 mg about 6:30. The total daily dose is .5 mg. I am now on my 3rd day of this dosage drop and so far havr been having night sweats and muscle and body aches plus crazy mood swings. One minute ill be fine then a little bit later I'm furious for no reason just something irritates me. Also I'm more fatigued. I am soo sensitive to cuts its ridiculous.  The water titration sounds somewhat complicated to me I would need some more help explaining how to do it. Would this be a better way?

It might really be a better way to water titrate. I do that and have had hardly any symptoms at all.

Slow is the word....

However, I find milk works even better because its denser.

There are several ways to do it.

I do it like this, because it was very easy to do:

Put 100ml of milk (get a good measuring device, high and narrow!) in a slightly bigger jar with a good screw top / lid. Then drop in one 1mg Ativan tablet. Then in the moring and whenever you have a dose during the day, shake it up well (do not stir, makes uneven patterns) and immediately draw your dose with a 10ml syringe (or whatever you have - the smaller the more precise but also the more times you draw). Best pour directly into mouth (slowly - I managed once to lose part of my dose because I rushed). Wash the syringe thoroughly with dishwashing liquid. Put milk back in fridge.

Your daily 0.5mg would end up being half a jar out of 100ml, lasting two days. Then every day, you could lower one of your doses 1ml. Or you could lower all of them .05ml. Or whatever suits you.

Others do the basic solution and then divide it in three or four jars by using a syringe, which they then empty whenever they have a dose. Up to you.

Poplady I take .25mg morning about 6:30am then .125 mg about 12:30pm and .125 mg about 6:30. The total daily dose is .5 mg. I am now on my 3rd day of this dosage drop and so far Harv been having night sweats and muscle and body aches plus crazy mood swings. One minute ill be fine then a little bit later I'm furious for no reason just something irritates me. Also I'm more fatigued. I am SO sensitive to cuts its ridiculous.  The water titration sounds somewhat complicated to me I would need some more help explaining how to do it. Would this be a better way?

You may be cutting too fast.  Why don't you try holding at this dosage for 2 weeks.  The lower you go the harder the symptoms become.  That's why you need to give your body a chance to heal.  I can give you a titration schedule that was made for me, and we can adjust it.  Many people feel that titrating in water you are able to see the suspension better and you can divide the doses for the day and not have to refrigerate them if you need to take a dose with you.  It's up to you.  You can also equalize your doses or make the nighttime one larger.

Hugs, Poplady

Yes that would probably help. I will just stay at this dose for about 3 weeks I guess...I wonder why its harder the lower you get?? You would think it would get easier. Also yes could you give me a schedule? I don't take any at night and never have so I don't want to have to depend on it to help me sleep....my last dose is usually at 6pm.  It seems as if its starting to level out now that I've been at this new dose for about 5 days now. Thing is now I'm getting night sweats ever since I decreased. Ugh! Thank you for yout help! I get discouraged about all this. It's frustrating and I'm soo sick of tapering off of stuff. Can't wait to be done with this. I just want to feel normal again.

What you're having is most probably interdose withdrawal. Since the half-life of Ativan is something like 6 or 8 hours, you go down to almost zero at night and your body does not to like that.

Yes that would probably help. I will just stay at this dose for about 3 weeks I guess...I wonder why its harder the lower you get?? You would think it would get easier. Also yes could you give me a schedule? I don't take any at night and never have so I don't want to have to depend on it to help me sleep....my last dose is usually at 6pm.  It seems as if its starting to level out now that I've been at this new dose for about 5 days now. Thing is now I'm getting night sweats ever since I decreased. Ugh! Thank you for yout help! I get discouraged about all this. It's frustrating and I'm soo sick of tapering off of stuff. Can't wait to be done with this. I just want to feel normal again.

It might really be a better way to water titrate. I do that and have had hardly any symptoms at all.

Slow is the word....

However, I find milk works even better because its denser.

There are several ways to do it.

I do it like this, because it was very easy to do:

Put 100ml of milk (get a good measuring device, high and narrow!) in a slightly bigger jar with a good screw top / lid. Then drop in one 1mg Ativan tablet. Then in the moring and whenever you have a dose during the day, shake it up well (do not stir, makes uneven patterns) and immediately draw your dose with a 10ml syringe (or whatever you have - the smaller the more precise but also the more times you draw). Best pour directly into mouth (slowly - I managed once to lose part of my dose because I rushed). Wash the syringe thoroughly with dishwashing liquid. Put milk back in fridge.

Your daily 0.5mg would end up being half a jar out of 100ml, lasting two days. Then every day, you could lower one of your doses 1ml. Or you could lower all of them .05ml. Or whatever suits you.

Others do the basic solution and then divide it in three or four jars by using a syringe, which they then empty whenever they have a dose. Up to you.

Satashasatasha system may work for you.  However, you do not have to use milk with Ativan (Lorazepam).  It dissolves easily in water and then you can see the suspension easier.  You can also divide into the three doses you need and take them with you because water doesn't need to be refrigerated for the day.  After you take your dose be it through the syringe or individual glass container be sure to rinse with water and drink it.  Ativan tends to stick to the sides of the syringe and the glass.

If you need more detailed instructions read the titration taper thread on what you need such as 100ml container, etc. and post a thread on that site and we can give you a more instructions.

Hug,

Poplady

I know Poplady.  ;)

I've read almost all there is about titrating. I even sent Prof. Lader an email! And he replied! But he didn't know much either.

I think that if you're always doing it the same way (e.g. always out of the same container, always with the same syringe, etc.) you're more or less on the safe side. And my tablets here in Europe just don't dissolve nicely enough in water. Or rather, they drop to the ground very fast after stirring. I experimented some, and with a denser liquid as ora-plus, but also with sugar water, it woprks much better. But I can't have sugar, and ora-plus is not available here - so that's why I do it that way.

Right I would like to know also what is difference....also I can get the liquid from a compounding pharmacy buy I have to pay like $50 for it since our insurance doesnt cover anything from compoumding pharmacy.

I know Poplady.  ;)

I've read almost all there is about titrating. I even sent Prof. Lader an email! And he replied! But he didn't know much either.

I think that if you're always doing it the same way (e.g. always out of the same container, always with the same syringe, etc.) you're more or less on the safe side. And my tablets here in Europe just don't dissolve nicely enough in water. Or rather, they drop to the ground very fast after stirring. I experimented some, and with a denser liquid as ora-plus, but also with sugar water, it woprks much better. But I can't have sugar, and ora-plus is not available here - so that's why I do it that way.

I am glad your system works for you, and hopefully it will work for others as well.  We all need to chime in so that the buddy can find the easiest system for them.    :thumbsup:

Hugs, Popcornlady    :smitten:

Quick question I have started having super tense muscles through my back and it didn't seem to start until i reduced my dose..also it makes me so mad but today and other day I was somewhat tired and laid down to take a little nap but everytme I start falling asleep I get these energizing surges through my body only way to describe it and i can't fall asleep it keeps happening. Only happens when I try and nap.! Annoying!  >:(

Quick question I have started having super tense muscles through my back and it didn't seem to start until i reduced my dose..also it makes me so mad but today and other day I was somewhat tired and laid down to take a little nap but everytme I start falling asleep I get these energizing surges through my body only way to describe it and i can't fall asleep it keeps happening. Only happens when I try and nap.! Annoying!  >:(

My muscles where a mess especially my head my husband sent me to get a massage for 2 hours. I really helped allot. My massage therapist said that every one of my muscles were so bunched up he could spend a whole session on each. Ugg let me tell u physical and emotional stress really bunch up your muscles.

Just something that helped.

Tanya

A massage definitely sounds good! I had been considering that! So the dosage drops can do that?? Also have you had that issue with naps during day?? I dont usually nap buy today is a snow day for the kids and wanted sooo much to relax but nope!! I think I'm also just to tensed up about tapering and I'm worrying too much about it! It's hard not too though

I was also wondering about the liquide form of ativan. (suspension version).... I am thinking of trying it but a little scared. Has anybody here tried this....

I know people who have tried and had success.  Post a new question asking if anyone has used it, I think one of the moderators has.

Popcornlady

Hi Poppins--

Yes, sleep has been better!!  :)  FINALLY.  I took your advice and held my last dose for a full 8 or 9 days and then the dose I am at now, I have been holding for 5 days.  Well guess what--I answered my own question--HOLDING WORKS!!  LOL.  I was just soooooooo intent on getting off these pills ASAP that I kept pushing myself.  I can't tell you that it's been all kittens and roses, but I do feel better :)  I slept 7 hours last night, and 6 hours the night before that--and that's without any sleep aids.  I am feeling so much more confident in my body's ability to heal.  I've been staying away from the board a little bit because I was getting quite obsessed and focusing too much on all the sadness/horror stories.  Anyway, now that I am feeling generally stable, I have a new plan to hold each dose a full 5 days and then go down by .01 at each cut.  So today I am at .125 (day 5) and tomorrow I will cut to .115.  I am hoping that will give my body enough time to adapt to each cut.  If all goes well, I will be done mid-March--yay!  How much do you cut each time?  Just curious.  My biggest annoyance right now is a sort of anxious feeling in my chest that comes and goes throughout the day--but I'm loads better than I was 2 weeks ago.  We took the kids to Sea World San Diego yesterday and tonight I am meeting up with a girlfriend for dinner--appetite back too :)  I hope it all continues this smoothly...

How are you feeling these days?  You know, we were in NZ exactly 9 years ago this January.  Is there still that wonderful winery by Lake Wanaka?  I hope to enjoy my glass of chardonnay again someday :)

Hugs to you,

Tina