Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

I would continue to hold and try to stabilize... It can take longer than 2 weeks.  How did you feel at 1mg?  If you really can't stand holding then I would suggest going back to 1mg, stabilizing and then making smaller cuts from there by quartering  the .5 mg tablets.  If that's too tough then you should probably consider crossing over to v, or getting the pharmacy compounded liquid ativan.

Thank you both for taking time to respond. The one one thing I'm unclear on is the 10% thing. Is everyone using liquid? How can you cut pills that are in quarters in 10 percent increments ?

Thanks!

???

I tried dry cutting 0.5mg Ativan pills....very difficult to get below 1mg/day. Lots of interdose wd from uneven cuts even with 4-6 doses/day....6 hour half-life of Ativan is just to flashy...especially at lower doses. I have a friend on BB who ended up trying several scales to weigh his Ativan doses....finally ended up with an expensive lab grade scale....and now at 0.2mg/day Ativan he has switched to the liquid.

You will save yourself a lot of hassle and pain by getting the liquid or switching to Valium if your doc is supportive.

For most the Valium taper is easier. But it also has to be said that not all cross overs are successful, and some can't just easily cross over, and have new/other symptoms when they do. I know several who had to go back to Ativan and felt even worse.

Hi,

I must admit to have only skimmed the last two pages, so I may have the wrong end of the stick, or this thread may not have developed in quite the way I understand, but I wish to add a few general thoughts you might find useful.

First of all, the literature suggests that dependency can develop in as little as two weeks (maybe even a week), but these must unusual, marginal cases. I would expect dependency to benzodiazepines (and 'z-drugs) to follow a bell curve, where the vast majority of people develop dependency over many months to years, with a small number developing dependency within weeks, and small number never seemingly developing dependency, even after taking high doses for very many years.

Dependency is not absolute - I would expect the depth of dependency to develop over time, but for some (as my above comments would suggest), the depth of the dependency might develop rapidly, while for others, it will develop much more slowly. I cannot offer any figures for this - it just seems like common sense to me. What we do know is that there are huge differences in how individuals develop dependency to benzodiazepines.

So, what does this translate into for those looking to taper off benzos, with varying length of use and levels of dependency? Unless you have already tried to quit, you are likely unsure of how dependent you have become to benzodiazepines. It makes sense - since large numbers of people do develop deep dependency to benzodiazepines - that you initially proceed cautiously to gauge your level of dependency. But, I mean these as general guidelines. I suggest the following rules of thumb:

• If you have been taking benzodiazepines for days: taper off over a few days (or just stop);

• If you have been taking benzos for a few weeks: taper off for no more than a few weeks;

• If you have been taking benzos for a few months: taper off for no more than a few months (many/most, will find that they too can taper of over just a few weeks);

• If you have been taking benzos for very many months: you can probably plan on tapering off over a few months (or less);

• If you have been taking benzos for years: you most likely will taper off over a few months / many months.

The above rules of thumb are meant only as rough guidelines, and presuppose some level of dependency if you have been taking benzodiazepines for more than a few weeks. If you have already tried quitting, especially if you followed some kind of taper (rather than quitting cold turkey), it would seem sensible to follow, at least initially, a slow taper to test the water - you can always speed up your taper later according to how you react.

If you have been taking a very short acting benzo (more precisely, 'z-drug'), such as zaleplon (Sonata) or zolpidem (Ambien, Stilnoct), just once a day (usually when going to sleep), Ashton suggests that you are highly unlikely to have become dependent and can just stop taking it. It should be medically safe, and going cold turkey should not illicit withdrawal symptoms. Though, if you are nervous about this, I would suggest that a short taper plan would do no harm, allowing you to adjust to going to sleep without the aid of a hypnotic.

Titration is just a method to allow you to make daily (or near daily) tiny cuts to your dose, that usually add up to an overall reasonable taper rate over a week or two. Titration is usually employed by those that find they cannot tolerate larger single cuts that arise from quartering their pill. It is often employed by those that, for whatever reason, do not have access to lower dose pills. Titration is rarely utilised by those taking Valium (especially those using 2mg Valium tablets), as (quarter-pill) reductions (of long half-life benzodiazepines) have only a gradual effect upon blood levels (it will take a week or two for most of the effect of a single (reasonably sized) cut to result in an equivalent fall in blood levels). Because dependency is unlikely after a few weeks of use, or at least the level of dependency is likely to be low, titration is unlikely to be of benefit and is unnecessary for this group of people.

Please read: A Short Overview of the Three Supported Methods of Benzodiazepine Withdrawal

Me too. 3 weeks for me. I'm fully enslaved.

My doctor reinstated me at 2mg about a week after my ct from 3mg of Ativan.

I thought I was starting to level out but 8 days into the reinstatement I'm having severe anxiety again just as in the cold turkey phase. I guess the plan is to hold one more week and begin cutting.

I'm basically terrified.

A

I was only on originally 7 weeks.  Now it's been 4 months and still trying to taper off--and it was a small amount!  My taper was going pretty well but then I cut too much/too quickly and something changed.  I had a bad night (almost like some sort of psychosis) a few days after that cut.  Since then, I can only sleep 0-1 hours a night and this is for a week now.  My body has forgotten how to sleep!  I am sooooooo exhausted but can't sleep.  Before that, I was sleeping 6 hours a night.  I tried updosing a bit which I know isn't recommended but was desperate, and it did NOTHING.  Now I have an appointment to try and switch to Valium for some relief.  But I have a feeling it won't relieve anything and just prolong this.  I am so frustrated I updosed, because now I know it will be more difficult to go down again.  I am very symptomatic and just spend my days pacing the halls, have lost a lot of weight, can't sit still even for a moment to play with my children.  My life as I know it is over for a long time all because I took Ativan for 7 weeks!  The sleep deprivation is killing me.  This morning I noticed muscle weakness in my hands.  My HR is always over 100.  I feel like I'm in acute withdrawal even though I'm still "tapering" which I can't continue right now because I feel too weak.  This is torture and a living hell.  I wish I hadn't made that big cut but felt pressured all along from my doctor who originally made me feel like a fool to proceed so slowly.  He never really believe I could be hooked so quickly.  Now I am in this for the long haul.  Sorry guys, I am just very depressed over this.  I have two little kids and I am losing it.  I cannot believe my sleep left me and I still have to taper (probably kindled now too from updosing??)  What a mess. :( :( :(

Tina I'm so sorry that you are in that situation. But I believe you are near the end. You are at such a small dose and you are in the care of a doctor. Something will give soon. I promise. Hang in there.

Benzo Down--Are you stabilizing??  Are you glad you reinstated?  I updosed after cutting too fast and it didn't do a thing.

I sort of stabilized. It's been a week since my updose and I still get pretty awful symptoms once a day. It didn't lift the symptoms altogether. I have been able to go back to work. It seems like once you are down to a certain point, going back isn't going to give you the relief  that you are dying for. I'm no expert at all but it sounds like you might be just keeping yourself in mild withdrawal by stretching so long at such small doses.

I wonder if you just need to jump and let the worst come, maybe in a medical detox facility. It's only after you completely stop that you actually begin to heal as I understand it.

You are definitely going to get there. That is the good news.

a

I would be jumping from equivalent of 1.1 mg. Valium and am in a very weakened state from the lack of sleep, weight loss.  Not sure if I could survive a cold turkey.  Maybe if I was stronger.  Tapers take a TOLL on you and I've been tapering for several months...

Satasha I would really be interested in your progress after you do jump.

You and I have a similar history and you are further along.

Congratulations on being almost there.

I won't jump...  ;) So to speak. I'll just drop my dose slowly, and I have one more week to go. Can't wait to get rid of this stuff.

I'll let you guys know how it feels to be benzo free.

At the moment I'm fighting heart racing, not sure if it is benzo related...

Dear people,

I did not slow down and the taper is nearing its end. As I had guessed, lowering did not make things worse so I just went ahead and cut some more. Now I'm down to 3 times 1ml and I'll be finished on Sunday. I feel a bit dizzy at the moment, but not worse than some days ago.

I'll let you know how it's going.

So happy for you.  I am so sensitive to this crap.  I have upped my dose twice since a big cut and gained no relief.  I am totally stuck with a long road ahead.  Consider yourself very lucky and very blessed.  I wish I was in the same boat.  And I was so close... :(

Tina, I'm so sorry...

Maybe try a different approach as with meditation or something?

I once decided never to updose (for psychological reasons, so to speak), and only to hold, and it seems it was the right decision for me.

I sure hope your find your own road out of this mess...  :-*

Tina, I'm so sorry...

Maybe try a different approach as with meditation or something?

I once decided never to updose (for psychological reasons, so to speak), and only to hold, and it seems it was the right decision for me.

I sure hope your find your own road out of this mess...  :-*

I so second that, I basically decided that if s*** hits the fan at least I'm on my way to freedom from this drug and on my way to finding some real answers...

I have been off ativan for several months now and crossed over to Librium to taper. Feeling pretty good. This taper is going very smooth for the most part. I sleep well and function in life just fine. No depression or anything like that. The only bad part is upper GI irriation at times. Easy to just avoid certain foods during that time, and bad sinus headaches which are taken care of with an antihistamine and saline rinses. I only have 22 more doses left to drop and it's good bye benzo's forever!

Satasha--

I am sooooo happy for you!!!  You must have awesome GABA receptors that are UPREGULATING for you!! :)  I am trying a second attempt at crossing over to Valium.  Still so frustrated I am stuck on Benzos on such a low dose.  I am just trying to stabilize at this point and get my sleep to return.  I am VERY envious of you to be honest.  I feel like I'll never be off these meds :(  Anways, cheers to you girlie--you go enjoy your life now!!!!

Tina :)

Tina, I had a bad day 4 days ago and almost gave up. I was very tempted to updose. But now it all went well. My first day off today (was down to 3x0.5ml before I jumped, which wasn't a jump really) was not different from other days. It's incredible, but after all these months of cutting it took only 24h and already I can hardly remember what it was like to be on benzos.

I sure hope I'm not getting any backflashes etc.

I need help on tapering off 3 mgs Ativan and 5 v

On benzo 23 yrs and not taking them on schedule - failed Ashton's method w severe depression

Wore my story in

Main forum desperate for help no dr here