Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Quick question I have started having super tense muscles through my back and it didn't seem to start until i reduced my dose..also it makes me so mad but today and other day I was somewhat tired and laid down to take a little nap but everytme I start falling asleep I get these energizing surges through my body only way to describe it and i can't fall asleep it keeps happening. Only happens when I try and nap.! Annoying!  >:(

Hi Sunnydayze, a lot of BB folks find relief from tense or cramping muscles by taking magnesium...tablet or topical oil that you absorb through the skin or ebsom salt bath. If I went for a more than a day without taking the magnesium my foot would cramp.

I also had the jolts at nap time....really nasty. They have been much rarer for the past 6 months but I still get them once in a while.....if I am on benedryl they seem to stay away. God bless.

Hey Tina

Thats such a great update - I'm so pleased to hear you have stabilized.  Isn't sleep just the best thing?  When I cut, I'm dropping between .01 and .02 mg.  I got hit hard when I did a .04 so I know thats too much. 

I know what you mean about getting a bit focussed on stories and the benzo world.  I make myself read \ success stories, too, and agree its important to keep a focus outside of these boards to have balance.  Its sad to see how many people are here needing reassurance, comfort, are fearful and confused or bewildered. And new people come every day.  I'm sure some day there will be a big scandal about the effects of these drugs.  Its also lovely to make these connections - most here are generous and caring I find.

Ten years since you came huh.  You'd be surprised, there are many vineyards in Central Otago and the Lakes District now.  Pinot Noir is a grape that grows especially well there, as its dry and hot hot hot. 

I'm in the middle of planning a major trip starting at the end of March this year, so excited to be traveling and seeing some sights.  Starting Puerto Rico, ending in Greece!

best

poppins

Wow--amazing Poppins!  Sounds like a fantastic trip!  I guess that begs the question--are you going to be finished with your taper by then, are you going to "hold" during the trip, or just continue your taper while traveing?  I am so glad you are living your life to the fullest despite all this.  I don't even go anywhere overnight since my compound is refrigerated.  Day trips only.  I hate it, but I should be done with all this mid-March so I can see an end in sight.. 

Tina  :smitten:

I'm going to be living on a catamaran for 6 months - very exciting - probably rules out landlocked Switzerland thanks though Satashasha.  We leave in 10 weeks.  Will be either just finished or just finishing my taper - depends on how my surgery goes and how long I have to hold.

I've been on four sailing trips through my taper and if anything find it better.  Something about all the sun and sea and being away from computers just helps it all settle down.

Tina I don't refrigerate my compound, it justs says store where its cool and dry.  I make up little bottles 5 days ahead, and just have them by my bedside, or take the with me when I travel.

its a lovely day here today, the sea is sparkling and I can hear happy sounds of people swimming and kids playing on the beach across the road.

cheers

Poppins

You sound like quite the explorer Poppins!  Sounds like an amazing trip--and you are right that it's good to get away from the computer.  Nature has a way of healing us in its own way. 

That's right--it's SUMMER in NZ!  :)  I hope I am very close to 100% healed by the time it's summer here in Cali--my favorite season.  :)

So you get the compound from the pharmacy and divide it up in bottles?  I hate that I have to be attached to my fridge for now.  We did a day trip and I put a dose in a cooler  :laugh: I get a another bottle of compound from the pharmacy tomorrow and it should be the last one that I will complete my taper with!!

Also, since you are cutting very small doses like me, what is your compound?  Mine is .25 mg/5 mL...  Just curious...I always get worried before picking up a new bottle that it will be made incorrectly or something--like what if they make it wrong and I get too much/too little?  ???  My hubby says I worry to much :), but I know how there can be a human error.  Sometimes I wish I was titrating myself, then I would be in control and know for sure how much Ativan is in there...Just saying...

Poppins - Wowieee!

I gather you're rich...  :laugh:

My next trip is also the first in a year. It will bring me to the meditarrenean area (how do you spell that??) with a camper van / mobile home. And my husband and kids are coming along of course.

Long gone are the days of travelling around the world (and I did a lot of that). It was great. But I only miss it once in a while. At the moment there are other important things. And when the twins are older, we'll restart the whole travelling with Australia.  :yippee:

Hello Tina!

Just came across your thread tonite.  Thank you so much for starting it!  I'm tapering off Adivan/Lorazepam also.  Have already learned this stuff comes with really big claws that don't want to let go of us.  Will read all thread posts tomorrow and be up to speed to talk more then.

David B

Can anyone suggest a compounding concentration that worked for them in this area)?

I am at or slightly below 0.2mg/day (four 0.05mg doses /day).  Have been dry-cut tapering (4 doses/day) with a "relatively inexpensive" lab scale, now reaching unit's +/- tollerance limits.

Tina

looks like we are in the same ballpark, ativan/Lorazepam wise, I believe I'm at 0.17mg/day.  Do I have it correctively, your compound bottle is .25mg/5ml? Any suggestions or techniques you like for taking it etc? (I am just now switching to compounded from dry cutting)

Sunnydayze

Had lower back muscle cramps also seemed to respond somewhat to hot water bottle or "TENS" unit which is supposed to stimulate muscles with weak electrical signal until they relax, wife has had one 15 years

Thanks, David B

You sound like quite the explorer Poppins!  Sounds like an amazing trip--and you are right that it's good to get away from the computer.  Nature has a way of healing us in its own way. 

That's right--it's SUMMER in NZ!  :)  I hope I am very close to 100% healed by the time it's summer here in Cali--my favorite season.  :)

So you get the compound from the pharmacy and divide it up in bottles?  I hate that I have to be attached to my fridge for now.  We did a day trip and I put a dose in a cooler  :laugh: I get a another bottle of compound from the pharmacy tomorrow and it should be the last one that I will complete my taper with!!

Also, since you are cutting very small doses like me, what is your compound?  Mine is .25 mg/5 mL...  Just curious...I always get worried before picking up a new bottle that it will be made incorrectly or something--like what if they make it wrong and I get too much/too little?  ???  My hubby says I worry to much :), but I know how there can be a human error.  Sometimes I wish I was titrating myself, then I would be in control and know for sure how much Ativan is in there...Just saying...

Yes I have some old Dr Haushka bath oil bottles that hold 10 mls.  I shake up my pharmacy bottle really well, then extract up to 5 days worth at a time, fill my little bottles, then I feel much more free of all the paraphernalia. 

My pharmacy compound is .1mg/ml, I'm hopefully on my last bottle too yay us!!!

poppins

Hi David

I'm not very strong at maths, and have found the .1mg/1ml makes it really straight forward.  I'm currently dosing at .22 so just withdraw 2.2ml with my 5ml syringe.  I reckon you'll find the accuracy with the compound reassuring, and nice to stop the tiny pill chopping I remember so well.

you, me and Tina are all at a similar place in our tapers, feels as if I can see the end coming into focus on this journey now.

I've found muscle pain one of the enduring withdrawal symptoms, suspect ativan is worse for this than some of the other blends.

best

poppins

hi Poppins

I have pain/numbness on the bottom of my feet that co-relates with the short time I was on ativan/Lorazepam so I appreciate what you are saying.  What rate are you actually reducing at now?  I was pushing and reducing about 0.1mg/month, but i think my body is beginning to tell me thats too fast at this lower level.

David--

Yes my compound is .25mg/5mL.  I am currently at .115 mg.  I am dropping .01 every 5 days.  Today I woke up with a tingly feeling in my cheeks and chin.  I am just going to expect it to get worse as I continue my taper.  I hear it eventually lessens and goes away completely, but might take a long time.  I am bummed to have this new symptom as I have actually been feeling better lately!

Tina

Tina

sorry aboute your new symptom, don't really know whether its suppoosed to get better or worse towards the end but am thinking going slower with smaller cuts at end is worth considering.  Maybe Beeper has some thoughts.  I'm starting to get hammered (in my head) at .16mg/day.  Surprisingly one buffered asprin seems to help me somewhat.

Hey David! Welcome. I read somewhere (I think in a text by Prof. Lader) that some people are as addicted after 6 weeks as others after 6 years, so there's really no telling beforehand how one individual reacts. But as a general rule, slow does it. Mostly people who go too fast have been known to run into troubles, so we're all trying to be wise and follow that advice - although its nerve consuming to say the least  :-\

Well Im pretty proud of myself!  :yippee: I rid my 3am dose the correct way! I was dosing 5 time a day, now four. I was taking every 5 hours, now every 6. I spread out my doses so they would be even after eliminating my 3am dose. I did fairly well last night. It was mostly my mind wondering, but here I am and doing ok. I'll probably hold at this dose for a few weeks or until my body says push forward! Again this isn't a race, but I'm making strides.. One step at a time.

MK

Just wanted to wish a good morning to all my fellow Ativan-taperers.  I hope everything is going well for you today.

Tina  :smitten: :smitten:

Mine show up quickly--anywhere between 4 and 48 hours.  It's never really the same though.  I guess this means that after we finish our taper, we'll know pretty quickly if any w/d symptoms come up?  That is one advantage of Ativan--the V and K taperers sometimes don't get hit until after a week or 2!  I would hate not knowing for that long...

I'm hoping to skate by:) yesterday I was emotional, thinking about my cut. It was a huge step for me. Plus no sleep the night before anticipating the worst. But last night I drank my tart cherry juice before bed and slept 7 hrs. Woke up at 12am to dose, but hey.. I'll take it.

Yeah Michelle--I think you are in the clear from your cut!  Yay!  I know what you mean about "anticipation anxiety" before a cut.  This last cut, I actually slept worse the night before the cut than the night after it.  I was so worried it would be like a few weeks ago when I was hit hard! I took a cut yesterday and slept 6 hours which is great these days.  I am stll waiting to be hit, but maybe I'll be ok this time.  Yay us for surviving our cuts--one step closer to freedom!!!  :yippee:

I pray were in the clear! I got a ways to go, but I'll take it. I mean I actually feel better cutting this dose. It's amazing what this pill does to us. It truly is poison! I hate the anticipating anxiety. But we can't help it! Yay for us!!! :yippee: