Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Kry

I understand how you feel.  It will get better.  You will get off this med and heal.  Bibsjo is right in lucky you caught this early and not on it for longer than you were or a higher dose.

I would recommend reading the Ashton Manual.  It helps to understand what the drug does and why we have the symptoms we do. It is also the best place to start for understanding the whole process. This helped remove the fear out of it, for me at least.

This is a great group in here that can help in many ways and help answer your questions.

Good morning Beauty,

.22!  You have come such a long way in a short time. You are a Rockstar! 

So glad to hear you are feeling better. Nausea is one of the worst.

I will keep you in my prayers that your birthday weekend is all bright windows.

You are on the last stretch of this. I read a lot that lower doses are the hardest but in reading I found the below.  (I have quoted this for all who are on or are getting to the end doses)

Keep in mind the mg referred to are Valium equivalents

“Stopping the last few milligrams is often viewed as particularly difficult. This is mainly due to fear of how you will cope without any drug at all. In fact, the final parting is surprisingly easy. People are usually delighted by the new sense of freedom gained. In any case the 1mg or 0.5mg diazepam per day which you are taking at the end of your schedule is having little effect apart from keeping the dependence going."

I have also gone back and read some older posts in this thread where many found that the lower doses were not any harder and in some cases easier.  We are all so different in how we process this drug, But nothing sets it in stone that the end will be the hardest,

Can anyone post a link for a water taper? My dosages are so low that I think I'm going to need to dilute. Also, I'm lactose intolerant so milk won't work. Thanks!

Hello Friends,

For the last two days I have totally forgotten to take my 1:30 dose and remembered later and took it as late as 2:45.

I have now set an alarm so I will remember.

Could this be an issue?  Should I adjust my other doses or just move on a scheduled.

Thanks

Hi ldbenzohelp,

I switched to Daily Liquid Micro Tapering (DLMT) when I was having difficult withdrawal symptoms using the method of "cut and hold." A couple of the other "old-timers" (they've been pretty quiet recently) on this thread also switched to DLMT and have reported that it has been much easier for them than dry cutting.  Powerball is the "old-timer" who used dry cutting all the way down.  I think he has an expensive micro-gram scale and was only dosing once per day for sleep.

Jim Hawk, a former active BB member from Switzerland, developed a computer app. for micro-tapering.  His README FIRST page (link found on the "Liquid Daily Taper Plan" page)  helped me get an overview and understanding of DLMT.  I also played around with plugging in numbers with the app.  Eventually though I learned to do my own calculations from another BB member who helped many of us start DLMT.  I will be happy to give you the simple formula for doing your own calculations if you want.

Here's the link to Jim Hawk's computer app.

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes to you and everyone,

Luey

p.s. Although I know many people on BBs have reported having difficulty at lower doses (remember we are a skewed population), I have had a much easier time at lower doses. 

Hi Luey,

Looks like your taper is going very well. 52! WOW

I have read back in some of the older posts in the Ativan thread and have seen quite a few mentions of lower doses being easier. Is it maybe the difference in the drug in comparison to other Benzos.  That makes us all hopeful I think?

Or maybe this is just an fabulous group of people on this thread  ;D

On the DLMT do most reduce every day?  I am right now just testing the water and take a large one then wait it out a day or 2 then take a smaller one. Seeing where my threshold is.  Not in any hurry really. Trying to lessen symptoms and be able to live life.  I also think I do better paying attention to the mg than the percentage. Maybe psychological but I feel if I look at the percentage I feel pressured to meet that set percentage guideline.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi all,

Thank you Luey for the link.

For those who do liquid Ativan, where do you get it? Is it compounded by a compounding pharmacy?

Hello ld

I get mine from a compounded pharmacy. I called the compound pharmacy first and talked to them about it asked a ton of questions.  They knew my doctor as he used that pharmacy often for patience. Next doctor visit we discussed it and he called it in as a liquid.

It is not always covered by insurance and is expensive.

Hi JuJuBi,

Yes, I lower a tiny amount everyday. 

I asked the same question earlier on and was encouraged to find a pace where I could lower daily vs. cutting and holding.  It took me a while to find the right daily deduction. (Of course I would hold or change the amount if I needed to).  Fortunately I have actually been able to speed up recently.

Good night,

Luey

Just checking in .15 , Luey congratulations keep up the good work .

Sleep is still being affected but I am moving on .

Peace to all

Lisa

Good evening All. TECH you are getting down there. I checked my records and at that dose I jumped 42 days later, but I was doing the micro, micro taper. At that level I would do .15 mg for 3 nights and then down to .14 and so forth until the jump all the way down to .01mg. I was so horrified of jumping too early! Like Luey I had heard the same thing (on No! The Horrid symptoms of the Low dose!) My thought is perhaps the lower you go the temptation to jump is stronger, Holding off on my Xanax taper for a while. I need some time. My job is eating me alive so it is time for a man's Plan B. Everyman must have a plan. Sometimes B, C  &  D. I cannot speak for women but this is what a man has to do. Pulling the plan off is another discussion. I need more self care. Less reactive, more strategy. I will try.  I grew a little beard as a quarantine protest, but that isn't me. I turned 59 yesterday. I don't feel 59 at all. I was jumping off high cliffs in Curacao just 2 1/2 years ago. But I do miss my body of 55 or even 50. All these drugs have taken a toll on me and I took NOTHING until I turned 50!  F the DGS! Sorry. Like the compartmentalizing Bill Clinton once said I believe, "I get up and put one foot in front of the other." Or maybe he didn't say this at all. Who knows? Good night. 

Good to hear from you Powerball.  I am the newbie but I do love your posts.  You will find your way. I do understand having Plans A,B , C and D.  You went to Curacao.  My picture is from Curacao! Klien Island (little Curacao) We went in December 2016. Spent 10 fabulous stress free days. That is a little slice of heaven. I learned to scuba for the first time at 54 there. I did a beach dive but it still counts.  When all this craziness is over I will go back. This does take a toll but you will come back and feel your young self again.

Tech - you are getting down there. Way to go!

Luey-I was contemplating my daily dose reduction. I am thinking  .006 mg (.06ml). I tested the water with that amount one day on, one day off for a few days and I am still working and functioning.  I am giving it a try for a few days and see. Last Saturday I did .014 mg (accident really) but not sure I am ready to dive into that daily.

Wishing everyone well

Goodnight

Did I ever say Powerball (his real name was Buddy) was our deaf from birth dachshund. We got him around age 10 because we decided to adopt an older dachshund this time. The current one is Wayne, a mix, no-one wants a mix either. We thought he was hard of hearing but showed up totally deaf and nearly half blind and had learned no sign language. I cannot fault the foster mom, they know if they tell the full gory horror story the dog will not be adopted. They do want the best homes for the fragile ones and thus the "shading of the full story." I must say I was a little surprised that he showed up with a pill of 10mg of Lasix. I guess I missed that!  A little bit of heart failure I must say. But as a cardiac RN I thought "we can do this." This picture of him is from doggie day care. His head is big and his body is small. He just had a thoracentesis and they pulled about 2 liters of fluid off his chest and then to doggie day care the next day, looking swell! Our end goal was for him to live at least 1 yr. I even taught him a few signs like "Wanna go outside?" He was totally house broken. He died 11 months and 1 week. I thought I would share this. Powerball? I have no idea where that came from. Maybe I lost the Powerball that day. Namaste.

Happy Birthday Beauty and Powerball!

Tech, You are getting so close!

JuJuBi, I would make up little rules for myself like if I had three days in a row of not feeling well I would decrease my reductions until finally I started feeling well most of the time. Maybe you could try .003mg drop per day.

"Powerball" the dog is an inspiration.  :smitten:

Wishing you all a peaceful weekend,

Luey

Hello-

I am a 54 year old fit guy and was never on any meds for anything my entire life..  This COVID crises is why I went to doctors and he prescribed me Ativan.. I had no idea what it was.. below is where I have been and where I am now..  I do not want to switch to Valium for my taper..  I'd love to hear from anyone with advice

On April 8th 2020 I took my first 1mg dose of Ativan and I took 2 pills for a few days and then just 1 at night and then did ½ pill the last few days and at the end of 14 days I quit cold turkey.  I was strong but did not fully understand the symptoms and went to a Naturopath and started in on a bunch of supplements and vitamins.  I was relatively feeling ok during the day but night time was not good.  I also tried Benadryl & Unisom, made things worse.  Little did I know that this was ramping me up more.  Had I just stayed active with a clean diet I really believe I would be fine today.  A few weeks ago I had to start with Ativan at night at 1mg..  I am now down to .5 and I really want to get off this by the end of July..  Since I am a short term user is this possible?  I would love to hear from anyone with advice.  I do not feel like I can start my recovery until this is out of my system.

Hello-

I am a 54 year old fit guy and was never on any meds for anything my entire life..  This COVID crises is why I went to doctors and he prescribed me Ativan.. I had no idea what it was.. below is where I have been and where I am now..  I do not want to switch to Valium for my taper..  I'd love to hear from anyone with advice

On April 8th 2020 I took my first 1mg dose of Ativan and I took 2 pills for a few days and then just 1 at night and then did ½ pill the last few days and at the end of 14 days I quit cold turkey.  I was strong but did not fully understand the symptoms and went to a Naturopath and started in on a bunch of supplements and vitamins.  I was relatively feeling ok during the day but night time was not good.  I also tried Benadryl & Unisom, made things worse.  Little did I know that this was ramping me up more.  Had I just stayed active with a clean diet I really believe I would be fine today.  A few weeks ago I had to start with Ativan at night at 1mg..  I am now down to .5 and I really want to get off this by the end of July..  Since I am a short term user is this possible?  I would love to hear from anyone with advice.  I do not feel like I can start my recovery until this is out of my system.

Hello kry! Welcome and consider this your lucky day as you found the place that will help you find the answers. You will most certainly be able to taper off of Ativan, I have faith in that! First you will want to read the entire Ashton Manual...have you done that yet?

Yes I did read the Ashton Manual, I am looking for some real world advice in my situation..  I'm at .50 right now and don't feel any worse than when I was at .75

I desperately want to get off this poison as we all do and I do not want to change to any other Benzo

Sometimes it helps to create your signature that gives info on when you started and how long, starting mg and where you are as of your last reduction. That way is gives everyone a starting point to give feedback. 

You are in the right place.

Hi Kry123

I understand your frustration after such a short time and low dose.

A direct taper reducing by 1/8mg at a time would be the most simple if you can do it.  (Ask your doc. for 0.5mg tablets and break them with your hands. It's impossible to divide them exactly, but it's close enough as long as you don't have intolerable symptoms.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-withdrawal-methods/direct-taper/

If you try direct taper and your symptoms are too difficult, you could do a micro-taper.  Here's a computer app. where you can learn about it. 

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/

Somethings to consider: 

Some of us have underlying conditions/illnesses we need to be treated for first.  For example moderate to severe generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) or anxiety from major depression disorder (MDD).  First line of treatment of these is usually an SSRI.

If you're suffering from insomnia here's a good article for natural treatment.  Some people on this thread have had success with a temporary low dose of Melatonin. (I've read on here NOT to take valerian while taking benzos).

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/sleep-issues/natural-insomnia-treatment/

If you do decide to try Melatonin, let me know and I can give you a couple of good brands.  I used it for sleep earlier on in my taper.

Keep doing your healthy eating, exercise, stress reduction, etc.

Finally and most important:  listen to your body to determine an individualized plan that works best for you.  Hopefully your doctor will support you.

I hope this helps, stick with this group for taper support.

Luey

Thanks Luey..

I did try melatonin and had no success.. in fact I got caught up in the whole supplement circus when I quit CT after 2 weeks and now I know that made matters worse..  My BP was elevated and my doc put me on a low dose BP med which really is helping.. right now I am on the path of clean diet, running everyday (and I do want to start weight training again) and staying active while I taper..  no supplements, vitamins, sugar, coffee, alcohol, anything processed..  just whole foods and I am starting to juice greens again, I'm staying away of juicing fruits so I just eat fruit whole for the fiber...  Before this I was a big juicer and usually do a juice fast every year..  other than my BP now, I have no underlying health issues..  I'm so determined to get off this and never look back and get back to my life before 4/8/20.. Im so glad I found this site.. last night I did a Podcast with "Benzodiazepine Awareness with Geraldine Burns"  she has a YouTube channel too..  its not up yet.. should be up by tomorrow..  she is wonderful

kry123,

I totally know what you mean about the supplements!  I tried taking them and they made me very sick so I stopped them except for sometimes Omega 3, Turmeric and Magnesium Buffered Chelate (supposed to help w/ relax/sleep).  Many people on BB say the same thing.

I think a healthy diet and MODERATE exercise help a lot. Too much exercise has made me feel worse (supposedly releases cortisol). I have very slowly built my stamina up closer to normal.  I've always eaten healthy but I became even more disciplined during this time with a low-inflammation diet.  It has seemed to help.

Keep us posted,

Luey

Dear Kry123

I will try to make it short , I dont have a signature as I erased it by mistake and never put it back ..... I also was given Ativan for an event in my life and I never thought it would react to me as it did. Most of my problems were at night .. I wont go into detail because my taper has been very long and very difficult.... at the begining when I was not sure what to do and I didnt have this site to go to I just dropped and went way to fast. For me micro taper with liquid has been the only way I could have done this.

I am almost finished It has taken me a little over a year.... My sleep was affected the worst. I didnt sleep for months and when I did it was always broken up or felt like I never really fell asleep. The most important thing is to listen to your body.. dont taper too fast. It can be very difficult and you can have all kinds of weird feeling but you can do it.

I have found that Zquil has been very helpful to me, at least it lets me get about 4 hours per night.

I wish you the best you will be fine if you listen to your body and ask alot of questions here.

Best Lisa