Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Luey,

Oh yes it was all very helpful!  Lot's of stuff to keep it simple and not obsessively overthink.  So Thank you.

I hope to get to .05ml - .10ml. Right now baby steps .02 and .03 with the tiny lines until I get confident.

I will order clear syringes with black markings. Easier on the eyes I think.

So true about the pills. I am sure even if I'm not exactly on that syringe line it's much more accurate/even than cutting and weighing.

This has helped me to stop over thinking  the dosage and just make sure that plunger is going in the right direction every day or other. I like the measure cup idea but my pharmacist was adamant about "not altering the medicine". Don't see how it would be any different than me drinking water right after taking it.

I have had couch paralysis. In an obsessive, fear state of poor me a bit. But I am working my darndest to come out of this. Work has been a great distraction.  I love my garden. We have a pool ad I am usually in it everyday so time to get back to that. A dear friend called today asking where i have been. I told her what's up and she chided me for not reaching out. Says I HAVE to get out of the house. So coming to get me to do something Sunday.

Powerball-I agree with Luey. You have just done an amazing thing, during a crazy time, in an amazing way. Give yourself a rest.

Hey lorazefam, just a midweek check-in. I love seeing everyone’s progress!! I’m doing well...lost some sleep this week and have been dealing with some more internal tremor in the night and early morning than I’d like, but both have been completely manageable. I tried some very low-intensity swimming today to ease the morning cortisol surge, and it was wonderful. Something about being weightless in water on a beautiful summer day. Tonight, I was able to make my family a big dinner, and it felt like such a major accomplishment. We’ve been ordering too much take out with quarantine and my withdrawal issues...it was awesome to do something so normal. The kids gobbled it down and licked their plates and helped clean the kitchen and all is right in our little speck of the world.

We have a clear schedule for the next several weeks - I’m hoping to make some great progress on this taper while we are off for summer.

Keep going everyone! We are getting there.

Wow Luey 55! :thumbsup:  You are doing so well!

Happy Saturday to my L family!

I passed my fear and have been going down, however very slowly. I did not have couch paralysis and swam, gardened a bit, cooked a breakfast and last night cleared and washed dishes after having our kids and grand kids for dinner.

There is a bit of a empowerment that comes with starting to taper down again. I see my itty bitty drops and all your leaps in comparison and get a bit discouraged. But I have to celebrate my small victories. I am at .79 and plan on picking up the pace this week and see how it goes.

I am curious on everyone's methods of reducing. Do you reduce evenly everyday on your doses or do you go down more on one and then even it out on the next? Do you reduce the same amount each day or more one day and less the next?

Do you set goals for a week, two weeks or a month or just follow what your body lets you do?

Do you plan of reducing one dose down and removing it?

Saturday Greetings,

It's been a tough week in the u.s.a..  I hope you all are managing stress the best you can. For me stress can make tapering and everything else more difficult.  I have to keep taking care of myself if I want to help anyone else.

JuJu, Good work moving past immobilization and fear.  I think we all have to remember each of us is doing our best and not to compare, even though it can be tempting. I'm now moving down equally across doses, a micro amount everyday.  It did take a long time to move doses around and figure out a pace in the first few months. I held and slowed down until I felt better and then stayed at very tiny reductions for a long time. Only recently have I tried to speed it up a little bit after several months of feeling better.  The #1 way I figure out my taper is based on how I feel one day at a time. 

I feel like my body was stuck in a cycle of nausea and fatigue in the beginning.  Slowing down over time seemed to help my body to find a state of homeostasis. 

Hopefully some others, both old and new members on this support thread, will also share their experiences.

I find all of this a process of balancing. Take good care everybody!

Luey

Luey

Every time I look you are closer and closer! I am afraid you all will graduate to the other side and leave me behind.  But that would actually make me happy to see that happen for you all. :)

As far as the stress I try to stay away from the news and social media as much as possible. It is a trying time here. As selfish as it makes me feel, right now I have to take care of me.

I am getting more comfortable with the taper.  I did do some moving around this weekend to even things out a little more. Took from the day to add to the night time. Sometimes the moves are like a reduction. It usually takes me 24-48 hours to feel it so I will know tomorrow. I actually felt better yesterday reducing my afternoon dose. Less day dreamy and head fog. I would also get really emotional after that dose would peak.  Getting good at finding distractions and getting my skittish hiney off the couch. I have cooked dinner, go swimming, reading and started a puzzle. No real places here to hike in nature.  There is a trail around the lake but temp has shot up in the 90's so too hot for longer walks.

I did have a wonderful window day yesterday. It felt so "normal" I laughed and felt emotion, was relaxed and happy.  Gave me a taste of where I will be when off this. Great motivation.

I hope everyone is staying safe and doing well.

[b6...]

Hey all

So I was on lorazepam for 3 months 4 and a half including tapering. I was on 0.5mg as and when then ended up on 1mg as and when as my anxiety got really bad after having a baby end of jan. I the started sertraline to treat post natal depression so I took 1.5mg a day for 2 weeks then 2mg a day for 2 weeks to help me through the side effects. However after it settles I dropped back down to 1.5mg for a a week, went down to 1mg and held for 2 weeks, I then went down to 0.75mg, after a week dropped to 0.5mg again after a week dropped to 0.25mg and then jumped. I haven’t really had any withdrawl symptoms Iv been off it 5 days I did notice my anxiety going higher a little and abit if derealisation but Iv managed to sleep well still, eating well ect I wanted to just ask is this a good sign in regard to withdrawl? Iv been reading up on people’s posts and I’m worried it’s going to hit me like a ton of bricks I didn’t even no about Benzos before I read up on them.

Thank you x

It sounds like you’re doing great - especially if you didn’t have symptoms tapering either. In five days, I think you would feel ‘something’ - although, I have also read stories of lorazepam acute showing up later than that. Just take it one day at a time, and we are here for you if you need us!

Hi all,

I'm new here and learned of this thread from beautyfromashes. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to wean off of Ativan for months. I read about micro taper and got my scale today. I had been alternating b/w 0.25 and 0.125mg (halving the 0.5 and then quartering it, so not very exact) and wasn't sure where to start my taper. I decided to start at about 0.1875mg (halfway in between). I can see why liquid could be easier as the pill cutting to achieve such tiny changes in weight is a job, but I'm committed, and HOPEFUL. I've been dealing with so much in the midst of this and no one but me thought it could be the benzos. I was against them from the start, but the doctors told me it would be easy to get off when I was healthier from my depression and anxiety. And here I kept thinking that this anxiety is so bad and why aren't my meds working and could I have bipolar and a million other things... That is the problem with these meds. You think you just aren't getting better from the original diagnosis when the issue is the medication. Scary stuff. I appreciate this group and hope to be a success story myself eventually.

Thanks!

ldbenzohelp

Jmb1992

I sounds to me that you did a great job tapering.  You are off the Lorazepam and that is a good thing. 

When I first came out here I read a lot of posts as well. Sometimes they can be scary. Everyone is so different. Just because someone else experienced that, it does not mean you will.  I agree with Beauty that you would think you would feel symptoms in the 5 days. 

If you do need us, as Beauty said, we will be here.

ldbenzohelp,

Welcome! Glad you found us. You already have success just by working towards getting off Ativan.

I started with micro-cutting pills and switched to a liquid so not sure I can be much help with micro-cutting tips. Many have done so with success. Beauty is micro-cutting and I am sure will be a great resource for you.

I understand your frustration. Most of us have heard the same story from doctors of how easy they are to get off of. These are very strong drugs and can be scary but you are in the right place. This is a great supportive group.

Luey as you can recall my life events better than I, reading this post of yours came from the heavens to my mind. I need to give myself a break. M stress level is down a tad , but that is just a tad. I began a Xanax taper. 2.5% night 1, 2.5% the next night 2 (5%) and then cut 3% last night and it did not work. I could have pushed through I think but with what I am going through now, I just cannot risk losing sleep. I just cannot. I am working on page proofs for my next book and they only give you 14 days to do it. My last date is Saturday and I have a very big project from work landing in my lap on Friday, so Luey I am talking your advice. There is someone on a Xanax site I stumbled accross (NO WAY AS GOOD AS THIS ONE), and a nice woman has a 300 day plan to get off 1 mg of Xanax (my dose). I simply cannot do that. How the F did I get on 2 Benzos?????????????????????  Anyway, good night. Peace with you all. I am from the South (SC) and Black Lives Matter.

Welcome Jmb and Benzohelp,

Jmb, Good to hear you are doing well.  I think it's good to avoid the "horror stories" on BBs. My heart goes out to people suffering but if you haven't had problems so far I don't think you will.

Benzohelp, Sorry to hear of all you've gone through. I can relate.  I think most of us here have gone through a lot of challenges, both what brought us here in the first place and then figuring out how to taper. I also have struggled with depression and anxiety and was taking a high dose of 6mg. before I was ready to taper.

We all have much in common and yet all of our journeys are so unique. Some of us do dry cutting and weighing, some DLMT (daily liquid micro-tapering), some have switched from dry cutting to liquid mid-way. I started out with "cut and hold" and now use DLMT by making my own solution.  The important thing is to figure out what works for you. And know you're not alone. I believe we can heal and recover.

JuJu, Beauty and PB, Thanks for checking in.

Best wishes for the start of a new week. Take good care everybody.

Luey

I think I need to reread instructions on micro taper with dry cutting. The weight may be the same but the dose different (very slightly). How can I possibly tweak that??? Especially if I'm using a scale. Any words of advice to get this right? Thanks!

Hi ld,

I’m doing a dry microtaper. It’s very hard at the doses you and I are at, but it is absolutely doable. I wanted to ask whether you feel stable at your current dose. With up and down dosing and only dosing once a day, you may be experiencing interdose withdrawal and general instability. If not, wonderful! If yes, I think you’d be well-served to pick the dose you feel stable at (or weigh out something between the two) and stick with it to start your taper. Also, if you’re struggling with daytime symptoms, you might consider dividing your dose into two or three small doses over the day. After you decide how to proceed, you can use your scale to weigh your dose/s.

My total daily dose of .225mg weighs .027g. I generally drop .001g off each of my doses over a few days...then hold a few days to stabilize if needed. Others have consistently dropped .001g or even .002g every other day, every third day, every fourth day, or even per week. It’s all about listening to your body and going at a pace that allows you to remain functional in taper.

Note, dry tapering will almost always be faster than the ‘5-10% of your current dose every 7-10 days’ rule if you’re using a cheap scale and cutting more than once or twice a week...but it will allow you to remain within the Ashton Manual protocol of dropping .05-.1mg every 1-2 weeks. Only you can decide what your body will tolerate. Many here say Ashton felt too quick at the end...I’m just now at the point of dipping my toe in that water.

At some point, if dry tapering becomes too hard (those crumbles get tiny!), we have many members who can help you with liquid tapering. I’ve looked into it, but dry tapering continues to go well for me.

Clear as mud? :)

Hi again ldbenzohelp,

I'm not sure specifically what you're asking.  Would you mind clarifying your question. 

Wow, I just played around with (dry) weighing your current .25mg dose and calculated a hypothetical 10% reduction every 10 days.  It was pretty much impossible for me to weigh such a tiny difference. I must say I am amazed how those of you dry cutting at low doses can do it with a gram scale if you want to keep your percentages low.  I understand why Beauty says the smallest amount she can reduce is by .001grams and does it every few days. 

Even though liquid is easier to measure micro-amounts of a low dose, I no longer reduce by percentages.  I found a fixed amount per day I could comfortably reduce by and just keep the same routine unless my body tells me otherwise.

Hang in there as you figure out what works for you.  You will be successful!

Luey

Hi again ldbenzohelp,

I'm not sure specifically what you're asking.  Would you mind clarifying your question. 

Wow, I just played around with (dry) weighing your current .25mg dose and calculated a hypothetical 10% reduction every 10 days.  It was pretty much impossible for me to weigh such a tiny difference. I must say I am amazed how those of you dry cutting at low doses can do it with a gram scale if you want to keep your percentages low.  I understand why Beauty says the smallest amount she can reduce is by .001grams and does it every few days. 

Even though liquid is easier to measure micro-amounts of a low dose, I no longer reduce by percentages.  I found a fixed amount per day I could comfortably reduce by and just keep the same routine unless my body tells me otherwise.

Hang in there as you figure out what works for you.  You will be successful!

Luey

Hi Luey,

It is quite difficult to taper a dose when the weight is the same for several dosages because the difference is so tiny. So if I'm trying to cut down a dose, but using the scale to do it, it seems almost impossible. I can't find a better way to verbalize what I'm trying to say. Does that help???

Hi all

The only time I feel well is in the evening. It's been like that for months.

I did decide to start my taper at the dose between 0.125 and 0.25 (since I was alternating between those dosages before), which is 0.1875mg. Today was day 1. I felt not good. Not as horrible as I have in the past, but not good.

My fear about splitting the dose is that the evening bliss will go away. Also, although the dose would be the same, I'm fearful of increasing the times I take it. Taking it more often just seems counterintuitive.

Do any of you have thoughts about splitting the dose? Pros? Cons?

Thanks so much for your input.

Hi ldbenzohelp,

So sorry you haven't been feeling well.  I went through that for a long time too- no fun. Hopefully some of the others who are dry cutting will share their technique for weighing such tiny reductions on the scale.

Do you take your whole dose in the morning?  Interesting that you feel better in the evening and not when you take your dose.  That doesn't sound like inter-dose withdrawal to me. I agree with you to listen to your intuition and not split your doses; rather hold where you are at this new amount to stabilize and then slowly taper. I often felt better by evening too when I was having a harder time.

Don't worry you're not alone in trying to figure this all out.  It's amazing we're using such sophisticated individualized methods that the majority of our docs. don't even understand. 

Big hugs,

Luey

Hello group-

I was recommended to join this thread.  I am (was) a physically fit healthy guy and had some anxiety when the COVID broke out.  I'm 54 and have never been on any meds for anything in my life.  Just on a voice mail to my doctor I asked him if I should take something for anxiety temporality and without ever speaking to him I got a text message that my prescription was ready.. it was 60 1mg Lorazepam every 12 hours..  I did that for 2 weeks having no idea of the dangers of this.  Then I started researching and quit cold turkey for 3 weeks.  I tried all sorts of natural supplements which I think now it made matters worse.. and then my doctor tried to put me on Paxil and tried that for 2 days and stopped immediately, that was horrible (I'm not depressed)..  if only I did not have the horrible insomnia I think I could have beating this CT..  out of desperation for sleep 2 weeks ago I was started taking 1mg a night for sleep but still only getting a few hours..  week 2 I just took .75 of the pill and seems to still work..  I am going to a new caring doctor today who will put me on a taper plan..  I would love any advice.  I do not like reading all the horror stories and I know I can beat this.

I’m sorry your doctor gave you so many pills and no information about the risk of dependence on your fiirst prescription! Fortunately you caught this super early. It sounds like you are in a rough patch now. We do heal. I have difficult symptoms at each dose reduction, but have Windows when I feel amazing. I hold onto those and remind myself that this is a process and I will feel better soon. I pray you will soon feel better too.

Thanks for all the support..  it certainly feels like that within a few weeks my life will never be the same.  but I do have hope and faith in God and my new doctor..

Hi everyone,

Just up early preparing for the day and thinking of all of you. I’m somewhere close to .21-.22mg now, and I feel really good most of the time. I’m hoping to make .2 by the 15th, and then I’ll take a break to gather my strength for the last mile. Symptoms come and go throughout the day, but all have been mild since the nausea a few weeks ago.

Next weekend is my 40th birthday. I never imagined I’d be spending it like this. Life is what happens when we’re busy making other plans, though, right? I pray that I’ll have some nice windows and be able to enjoy the ‘big’ day. All plans are very low key with just family. The virus is making a play in our neck of the woods, so we aren’t gathering or going out.

Welcome to the new members on our thread! I’m so glad you’re here.

One day at a time, friends.