Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Ok, all the scale questions...this is my take on all of it. Keep it simple. It's a scale. Once you figure out how to use it don't mess with it too much. I never adjusted or did anything special to the scale every time. I simply had the number I needed to get for my dose.

I never once ever double checked weights etc. As long as the scale turned on and went to zero I was good to go. If the dose was the ballpark figure that was good enough for me.

You can drive yourself crazy trying to fine tune every part of the scale, but it's simply a tool. Use common sense and you're ok.

Kiddo has simplified her math enormously compared to what I was dealing with when I started. Again, keep it simple!  :smitten:

Saga

Driving yourself crazy is an understatement. Just as an experiment I decided to attempt to cut off segments of the pills to get my current dose. Just out of curiosity I crushed those segmented pills to compare what I had been taking, and the new powder form looks like double the amount I've been taking. Driving me nuts.

I just spent and hour and a half on the scale trying to figure out what's the most efficient way. I came to the conclusion that at the doses I'm at its "impossible"  to get accurate doses every day. The margin of error for me is "at least"  + or - 0.02. Seems like I'm dosing anywhere from 0.16 to 0.12, when my target is 0.14. To be honest it's kinda making me insecure and making my head spin lol.

Feels like a dry cut is going to be much more inaccurate than I thought.

Cosmic, this is why I'm telling you not to worry so much! As long as your dose is going down you're fine. I believe it's nearly impossible at the lowest doses to have definitive accuracy. Do your best but don't overreact!  :smitten:

Ok, all the scale questions...this is my take on all of it. Keep it simple. It's a scale. Once you figure out how to use it don't mess with it too much. I never adjusted or did anything special to the scale every time. I simply had the number I needed to get for my dose.

I never once ever double checked weights etc. As long as the scale turned on and went to zero I was good to go. If the dose was the ballpark figure that was good enough for me.

You can drive yourself crazy trying to fine tune every part of the scale, but it's simply a tool. Use common sense and you're ok.

Kiddo has simplified her math enormously compared to what I was dealing with when I started. Again, keep it simple!  :smitten:

Saga

Driving yourself crazy is an understatement. Just as an experiment I decided to attempt to cut off segments of the pills to get my current dose. Just out of curiosity I crushed those segmented pills to compare what I had been taking, and the new powder form looks like double the amount I've been taking. Driving me nuts.

I just spent and hour and a half on the scale trying to figure out what's the most efficient way. I came to the conclusion that at the doses I'm at its "impossible"  to get accurate doses every day. The margin of error for me is "at least"  + or - 0.02. Seems like I'm dosing anywhere from 0.16 to 0.12, when my target is 0.14. To be honest it's kinda making me insecure and making my head spin lol.

Cosmic, this is why I'm telling you not to worry so much! As long as your dose is going down you're fine. I believe it's nearly impossible at the lowest doses to have definitive accuracy. Do your best but don't overreact!  :smitten:

I agree that one should not overreact. But depending on one's method, tools, and skill set, it is certainly possible to have very high accuracy in preparing a dose. This is what drove me to the liquid ativan as one can measure volume very precisely at home with cheap plastic (syringes). High performance scales aren't cheap, though with good technique and a sound method, one should be able to dial in reasonably precise doses, even with a run of the mill "bargain" scale. Bouncing around in dose can't be good for wd (at least for those who are sensitive to benzos).  :)

Saga

Hahaha easier said than done! I'm trying!

Saga

I agree that one should not overreact. But depending on one's method, tools, and skill set, it is certainly possible to have very high accuracy in preparing a dose. This is what drove me to the liquid ativan as one can measure volume very precisely at home with cheap plastic (syringes). High performance scales aren't cheap, though with good technique and a sound method, one should be able to dial in reasonably precise doses, even with a run of the mill "bargain" scale. Bouncing around in dose can't be good for wd (at least for those who are sensitive to benzos).  :)

Definitely, I'm trying the best I can. Honestly no matter how careful you are the scale will not read the same values consecutively. When I noticed that my newest method seems like I should be dosing twice as much it hit a trigger. Now I'm all paranoid and intrusive thoughty and anxious.

Regarding your previous question about REM, the sleep app uses the smart phones sensors to monitor breathing and heart rate and movement, it details a very accurate reading of your sleep patterns. However, the REM reading is a "somewhat" accurate assumption regarding the pattern and graphing detailed from light and deeper sleeps.

Cosmic, Laser is making some really good points about accuracy in dosing using the liquid. Even if you weren't about to get liquid Ativan you could certainly make your own and finish your taper with a greater degree of accuracy if you're concerned about the scale...

I honestly thought I would switch it up at the lower doses myself, and make the suspension with the tiny bit of vodka. I just felt comfortable with the scale and any inaccuracies I was making. If you're getting freaked out by the possibilities you could always change up the method.

Saga :smitten:

Cosmic, Laser is making some really good points about accuracy in dosing using the liquid. Even if you weren't about to get liquid Ativan you could certainly make your own and finish your taper with a greater degree of accuracy if you're concerned about the scale...

I honestly thought I would switch it up at the lower doses myself, and make the suspension with the tiny bit of vodka. I just felt comfortable with the scale and any inaccuracies I was making. If you're getting freaked out by the possibilities you could always change up the method.

I may consider that. Do people respond poorly to liquid suspension?  Is there a crossover period? What should I expect?

I may consider that. Do people respond poorly to liquid suspension?  Is there a crossover period? What should I expect?

My opinion would be there is the possibility of needing time to adapt to a new method, meaning I've heard other people discuss switching to a liquid equal to a cut. So to be safe I'd stay at your current dose and maybe switch over one dose at a time,if you're worried. Or you could switch all of the doses the same time with the knowledge it could feel like a cut or the same.

Everyone's so different. I think you need peace of mind right now, and if switching your method helps you feel more comfortable, by all means consider this. I want you to feel as comfortable as you can. If you're worried about accuracy etc. it plays with your head. I understand. Honestly, I do.

My opinion would be there is the possibility of needing time to adapt to a new method, meaning I've heard other people discuss switching to a liquid equal to a cut. So to be safe I'd stay at your current dose and maybe switch over one dose at a time,if you're worried. Or you could switch all of the doses the same time with the knowledge it could feel like a cut or the same.

Everyone's so different. I think you need peace of mind right now, and if switching your method helps you feel more comfortable, by all means consider this. I want you to feel as comfortable as you can. If you're worried about accuracy etc. it plays with your head. I understand. Honestly, I do.

Haha saga, quite honestly everything seems to be playing with my head. I'll look into it and assess if it's the right choice. I think I'm heading into a wave right now. I feel like I'm being removed from my body somehow lol. And my nipples are on fire.

How are you feeling lately??

Haha saga, quite honestly everything seems to be playing with my head. I'll look into it and assess if it's the right choice. I think I'm heading into a wave right now. I feel like I'm being removed from my body somehow lol. And my nipples are on fire.

Well, keep your options open, that's all I can say. It's funny, I was always surprised by waves. I'm actually doing ok, considering. Keeping the bar low, you know...I see some small improvements but I don't get too excited since I'm only off a month, after all.

The days are still very changeable, good to bad to good every few hours. So basically the same as tapering except no tapering worries. That in itself is huge, I must say. So just the waiting game going on...

Well, keep your options open, that's all I can say. It's funny, I was always surprised by waves. I'm actually doing ok, considering. Keeping the bar low, you know...I see some small improvements but I don't get too excited since I'm only off a month, after all.

The days are still very changeable, good to bad to good every few hours. So basically the same as tapering except no tapering worries. That in itself is huge, I must say. So just the waiting game going on...

Just being off must be a huge relief in anxiety I'd assume? I know for me the day I jump it's going to be a huge mental relief. Can't wait, that date seems forever from this point. I wish I could have tapered as quickly as you.

Cosmic - I would ask SophiasNana, Omnifarious and GreenIrishTweed about how their switch to liquid went. Laser switched in one fell swoop and had no issues. Things were a little bumpy with Green for a week or so and I'm not sure about Nana and Omni. If the scale is stressing you out, make the switch. I think it's imperative that you get rid of anything, within your control, that causes anxiety.

I don't worry about the scale at all. I used to, but I don't now. I just don't care. It's accurate enough for me....my pieces are getting smaller so I'm happy. I know, at the very minimum, my doses are in the ballpark I want to be in so that's enough for me.

Cosmic I want you to know that Ive been praying for you, I know youre having a tough time. I personally wasn't comfortable with the scale option, nor was I comfortable with getting a solution made from a compounding pharmacy. Im doing the liquid titration method, so Im basically making my own solution (actually its a suspension) every night. I dose 3 times a day. I didn't experience ANY sxs when switching from pure pill form to the liquid suspension. I didn't starting cutting till I was on the suspension for 3 days though, just to be sure. If the scale is causing you anxiety, I'd suggest you look into making your own suspension. I can give you a link to Nana's method (which I am using only slightly modified for my own preferences) so you can look over it and see if it suits you. Just take a deep breath and don't be afraid to lean on God, for He is our refuge. Heres the link I mentioned http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96798.0     

You can message Nana directly if you have any questions, she is very nice and very helpful. Ive come to be quite comfortable with this method myself, so I can offer you my take on how do it as well.

How is everyone else doing? Good I hope?  :smitten:

Well Cosmic,

It WAS a huge boost mentally, yes, I agree. My taper is actually becoming a distant memory and I can hardly believe that at a month off... I probably didn't save myself any healing time, but my level of body pain improved so much the lower I went there was no way I was slowing down. I'm very happy the way I did it. Again, there are so many variables in play and we all come from different circumstances. You'll get there! Tapers are very individual for a reason.

See, now you've for more people sharing good reasons and their experiences, good luck! :smitten:

Saga

Well Cosmic,

It WAS a huge boost mentally, yes, I agree. My taper is actually becoming a distant memory and I can hardly believe that at a month off... I probably didn't save myself any healing time, but my level of body pain improved so much the lower I went there was no way I was slowing down. I'm very happy the way I did it. Again, there are so many variables in play and we all come from different circumstances. You'll get there! Tapers are very individual for a reason.

See, now you've for more people sharing good reasons and their experiences, good luck! :smitten:

Saga

Thats absolutely fantastic to hear. Distant memory it will be. I know it's individual, but I'm getting more rotten as I lower my dose!  My brain should be healing and saying hey I feel better with lower amount of this poison!

Cosmic I want you to know that Ive been praying for you, I know youre having a tough time. I personally wasn't comfortable with the scale option, nor was I comfortable with getting a solution made from a compounding pharmacy. Im doing the liquid titration method, so Im basically making my own solution (actually its a suspension) every night. I dose 3 times a day. I didn't experience ANY sxs when switching from pure pill form to the liquid suspension. I didn't starting cutting till I was on the suspension for 3 days though, just to be sure. If the scale is causing you anxiety, I'd suggest you look into making your own suspension. I can give you a link to Nana's method (which I am using only slightly modified for my own preferences) so you can look over it and see if it suits you. Just take a deep breath and don't be afraid to lean on God, for He is our refuge. Heres the link I mentioned http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96798.0     

You can message Nana directly if you have any questions, she is very nice and very helpful. Ive come to be quite comfortable with this method myself, so I can offer you my take on how do it as well.

Hey Omni, that's very very kind of you. Thanks for the support!

Yes I will look more into it and I will probably switch over at 0.1 mg (goal to hit next month crossing fingers) . That's great to hear that it wasn't difficult to start the liquid solution. Thanks again for the help!

Cosmic - I would ask SophiasNana, Omnifarious and GreenIrishTweed about how their switch to liquid went. Laser switched in one fell swoop and had no issues. Things were a little bumpy with Green for a week or so and I'm not sure about Nana and Omni. If the scale is stressing you out, make the switch. I think it's imperative that you get rid of anything, within your control, that causes anxiety.

I don't worry about the scale at all. I used to, but I don't now. I just don't care. It's accurate enough for me....my pieces are getting smaller so I'm happy. I know, at the very minimum, my doses are in the ballpark I want to be in so that's enough for me.

I agree!  At higher doses I really didn't care because the % error was much smaller. At the lower doses the scale inaccuracies can have a huge impact. The powder content varied so much day to day that it was giving me anxiety. I'd look at one batch and compare it to another and they'd look totally different. Heck, I've been feeling OK the last 4 days, but the dose I took today looked like half in comparison to the others. Maybe that's why I feel disassociated.

I agree!  At higher doses I really didn't care because the % error was much smaller. At the lower doses the scale inaccuracies can have a huge impact. The powder content varied so much day to day that it was giving me anxiety. I'd look at one batch and compare it to another and they'd look totally different. Heck, I've been feeling OK the last 4 days, but the dose I took today looked like half in comparison to the others. Maybe that's why I feel disassociated.

See Cosmic, this post is one of the reasons I think you should consider the liquid. Omni gave you a great link. If you have any concerns about your dose and/ or worries about how it may be right or wrong, it simply adds to the mental torture and you don't need that feeling. It's stressful enough without the taper worries.

Whatever your decision, you're still making great progress with your taper. Hoping you're not headed for a wave. :smitten:

Saga

Saga

Definitely, I'm trying the best I can. Honestly no matter how careful you are the scale will not read the same values consecutively. When I noticed that my newest method seems like I should be dosing twice as much it hit a trigger. Now I'm all paranoid and intrusive thoughty and anxious.

Regarding your previous question about REM, the sleep app uses the smart phones sensors to monitor breathing and heart rate and movement, it details a very accurate reading of your sleep patterns. However, the REM reading is a "somewhat" accurate assumption regarding the pattern and graphing detailed from light and deeper sleeps.

Take a single pill and measure it on your scale 5 times, each time under precisely the same conditions (scale location, placement, same pill, shielded from air currents, etc.). What is the average weight, max and min weights obtained, and (god help me here) the standard deviation (S.D)? MS-Excel can calculate SD for you. These values will tell you (me) just how good your scale/technique is, and maybe it is good enough! For example, if your coefficient of variation (C.V=SD/average) is 50% then your method/equipment is not good enough, however, if C.V<15% I'd stick with the method/tools youve got. There is no rule of thumb on "acceptable" variability, the values I provided are just for example to make the point.

Hey Omni, that's very very kind of you. Thanks for the support!

Yes I will look more into it and I will probably switch over at 0.1 mg (goal to hit next month crossing fingers) . That's great to hear that it wasn't difficult to start the liquid solution. Thanks again for the help!

Anytime my friend. Let me know if you need anything  :thumbsup:

Cosmic , I wanted to let you know I found the way to use the scale for me. I weigh my 0.5 Ativan, weighs in  at  66 , Some weigh 67,68 ,  If they are different I make a new formula for each weight and have it where I can see it as I weighing. then  I divide by 2 to get a 1/4 = 33  , then by 2 again for 1/8th = .01625 ,then by 2 again to get 1/16 th .008 .    My new morning and night dose is now  13/16 mg or by weight 107. I do not make small pieces I shave the pill to make as little work as possible. The scale makes that easy.  I talked to a person at a compounding pharmacy today. She said when you use little pieces it might not have the right dose as the pill has fillers in it. So my take on that is small doses you have to use powder or liquid or go to a place that compounds meds. She said she could make me small doses and put in a capsule . I did find out insurance does not pay for that ,it is so expensive to have that done. Might have to be an option for me at some point at the end.  I started today so will see how this works. It did not take me long to do it once I got the hang of it. I get so anxious that makes it hard to focus at times . We all have been there.  Let me know what you think.

I read online that the psych doctors don't really know how to get us off the benzos the best way and what we go through . They said they were not trained in that part of it?  Everyone take care.

Cosmic , I wanted to let you know I found the way to use the scale for me. I weigh my 0.5 Ativan, weighs in  at  66 , Some weigh 67,68 ,  If they are different I make a new formula for each weight and have it where I can see it as I weighing. then  I divide by 2 to get a 1/4 = 33  , then by 2 again for 1/8th = .01625 ,then by 2 again to get 1/16 th .008 .    My new morning and night dose is now  13/16 mg or by weight 107. I do not make small pieces I shave the pill to make as little work as possible. The scale makes that easy.  I talked to a person at a compounding pharmacy today. She said when you use little pieces it might not have the right dose as the pill has fillers in it. So my take on that is small doses you have to use powder or liquid or go to a place that compounds meds. She said she could make me small doses and put in a capsule . I did find out insurance does not pay for that ,it is so expensive to have that done. Might have to be an option for me at some point at the end.  I started today so will see how this works. It did not take me long to do it once I got the hang of it. I get so anxious that makes it hard to focus at times . We all have been there.  Let me know what you think.

I read online that the psych doctors don't really know how to get us off the benzos the best way and what we go through . They said they were not trained in that part of it?  Everyone take care.

There isn't the same consistency within each pill??  That is fucked up. Even more to get me anxious and riled up. I have a feeling all these factors are playing a role in why I'm jumping in and out of waves. It would be relatively stupid if there wasn't a somewhat equal pattern of distribution from the actual benzo molecule throughout the pill.

I'm glad you figured a way to do your doses. I just wish there was some way I could Snap my fingers and get the exact dose every time.

And yes, most doctors don't know much about these drugs. I've gotten many many many different viewpoints and methods, all of which don't really work or make sense.

Saga

Take a single pill and measure it on your scale 5 times, each time under precisely the same conditions (scale location, placement, same pill, shielded from air currents, etc.). What is the average weight, max and min weights obtained, and (god help me here) the standard deviation (S.D)? MS-Excel can calculate SD for you. These values will tell you (me) just how good your scale/technique is, and maybe it is good enough! For example, if your coefficient of variation (C.V=SD/average) is 50% then your method/equipment is not good enough, however, if C.V<15% I'd stick with the method/tools youve got. There is no rule of thumb on "acceptable" variability, the values I provided are just for example to make the point.

Thing is, I'm not entirely concerned about the skill or the setting and precautions taken regarding the scale. I'm concerned about the scale itself. For example, I weighed one pill several times and got anywhere between 0.048 and 0.051. There's a difference of 0.003 there. However, that difference is still present when weighing my actual dose(fragments of the pill). For example, one segmented pill could weigh 0.012,and that same pill could then again weigh 0.015, or anywhere in between. This tells me that there's an issue with the accuracy of the scale. Scaling such small doses may be out of this scales league.

Cosmic,  The pills have the same amount in them as far as potency . A  0.5mg is a 0.5mg . No worries  about that.  So please relax and take a deep breath. It will be ok.

Your scale sounds off . One  pill always weighs the same on my scale. You have to wait till it settles down after you put the pill on the scale. Try that and see if that works.

Cosmic,  The pills have the same amount in them as far as potency . A  0.5mg is a 0.5mg . No worries  about that.  So please relax and take a deep breath. It will be ok.

Your scale sounds off . One  pill always weighs the same on my scale. You have to wait till it settles down after you put the pill on the scale. Try that and see if that works.

I have. I generally wait a couple of minutes and recalibrate. Your pills always weigh the same???  My scale always reads different, generally if you wait a minute or two.

I know 0.5 will be that potent, but if the molecules aren't distributed throughout the pill evenly that's a big issue.

I feel like I read somewhere that if a pill is "scored" then the active ingredient is evenly distributed. Hopefully Laser will chime in, that's his area of expertise. You could also call the pharmacy and ask or look it up online.

The reason I never weighed my pills first was because of fillers. All pills have fillers and I knew the weight of every pill would be different. I don't think, personally, it makes enough difference because pills have to be within a certain percentage of accuracy when they are made.

If it is really upsetting you, get your pills compounded into capsules or liquid. In Ontario, my liquid cost me $78 for 30 days. You could probably be off your remaining dose in 90-120 days max....so it would cost you $312 which is peanuts if it stops the insanity and you can taper a little faster with more accuracy.  :thumbsup: