Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Thanks Green  ! Good to know about not having to wait if you do small cuts. I will ease myself into that and see how I feel each day.  I have to say I never really felt too bad after I started  my first morning  1/16th cut . Now on my 3rd night of 1/16 cut. I slept in till 5:20 am for  2 nights now . That is huge  ! It sure beats 2-3-4- am.

Ativan was causing me to be so anxious for years I did not get it till my doctor put me up to 4mg a day , that was horrible. It was then that  I thought Ativan could be the problem. It was ! Slow and steady wins the race  ! Hang in there everyone !

I am thinking of crossing over to Valium again.

Found a Dr. 5 hours away who will take me. Also asking my two local Dr's to help me cross over so i don't have to go through the added expense and time.

I have cut my doses into 5 daily segments of .27 on the 23rd and then 4 days later i got hit. Its a week later and i am still waking up with tremors and in w/d and it seems like i never do catch up to stabilize through out the day. I am constantly feeling the w/d an hour before my dose. I took a dose two hours early a few days ago and it actually stabilized me for a little while. So i am pretty sure it is i/d w/d

The company that makes the Lorazepam's pills weight 1.18 - 1.20 mg each so i think my original dose was more like 1.75 and i was dosing once in AM and  mid to late afternoon. When i dropped to 5x .30 i had really strong w/d for about 7- 10 days then evened out a bit but still lots of side...they became tolerable so i dropped to .27 as i said above and 4 days later ...pow!

I think i could stand the w/d sxs better if they were not so up and down so often during the day. Its the i/d that is getting me.

and knowing i still am at the beginning of the journey. It not about just me...its my wife and kids. My wife is at the end of her rope watching me suffer and bounce around every day.

I am also considering to do what one Dr. told me and just set aside 2 months and blast through it in the mountains or something.

Also not sure my business will make it with this kind of w/d for 6 months...i am thinking the Valium will at least let me not i/d and i can get some work done and make some money.

I know i have asked a lot of this forum....and i will ask again if you could please give me your opinions here on making this decision in the next day or so to make my appointment with the new C/O Dr.

Thanks again!

Hi Mark,

You're not asking a lot of this forum, the point of the forum is to get opinions and advice...I think you should consider the crossover for several reasons.

Interdose being number one. There is not much way around it if you've split to 5 x a day. Switching to Valium would eliminate or lessen the interdose entirely, in my opinion.

Stability is the second reason. Your first post here you were taking between 1.5 and 2.0. You were trying to stabilize at 1.5. It doesn't sound as though it happened, now that you've used the scale it sounds like you see the difference more clearly. It's a huge difference.

If you crossover, PLEASE do a proper crossover. No direct or abbreviated crossovers, please, they spell disaster. You may also need to go a little higher with the Valium to where you actually were, that's at 2 mgs of Ativan equals 20 mg Valium. You should take the full time plus a big hold to stabilize before tapering, in my opinion. This is going to require more time, and you should be prepared for this additional time.

The only advice I have now is stop talking about 6 months, or going on a 2 month taper. It doesn't work that way. You need to accept this is going to be a  process for some time, whether or not you taper quickly or slowly, your brain and CNS determine healing. There are no short cuts.

Ok, my mini lecture is over...I'm just afraid you haven't come to the acceptance part of this which is crucial. It's very hard to wrap your head around this , but it's essential.

I wish you the best of luck, message me anytime :smitten:

Saga

SAGA

Thanks so much for the caring response with lots of good information that i will take into deep consideration and hopefully follow!

One thing i have learned about the mind over years of doing therapy is that it seeks to take shortcuts...and mine has a bit extra.

As acceptance settles in ( i dont think it is a digital thing on/off) i notice two parts of my mind....one that gets it and is sad and settling in for the long journey ahead...and another part that knows it can find a way out...it has too.

I think it is the same part that considers death. There must be a way out!

Problem is there is no way to have the luxury of escapism when on this stuff experiencing w/d. There is only what is happening now...no place to go hide in the mind as the w/d sxs pull you to what is happening now. It is like training a dog in my mind while dealing with sxs.

I have studied people who claim to be awake and enlightened....both people who have woken up through bliss and those who become awake through what they call Waking Down....through adversity in life. Either way they both say you cannot go into illusion anymore. Presence in now mandatory!  Much like it is for all of us.

My little 6 year old daughter came in my bed this morning and snuggled with me as she fell back to sleep. My heart really opened as i was considering what was really important right in front of me. At one point it opened to the point all the w/d sxs i was going through went away and i went to a really nice place beyond sxs. It is the second time i have experienced this in the last few months. I would like to experience it more.... a lot more..and maybe this journey will teach me more of how to do it.

Maybe then i can say it might have been worth it

Thanks again  :smitten:

My apologies to all my fellow taperers.....I've been MIA that last few days due to being busy and getting slammed (again). Withdrawal is nothing if it isn't interesting.  :D. I'm back in the saddle and hope everyone is faring well.

Mark - I'm so very leery of c/o, although I know that it is recommended by Prof. Ashoton and many people swear it saved them. I guess my question is whether or not your truly ever stabilized yet. That could be where you are having trouble. Please know, and prepare yourself, that even though you switch you will not have a symptom free ride. Valium may help to eliminate the ups and downs, but may add other problems. Depression is a biggie with Valium. That was the number one reason I didn't want to c/o. Either way, I support you fully. This is YOUR taper and you have to do what's best for you and your family. Please do keep us posted  :)

Judy - glad to see you making some progress. That's so great  :thumbsup:

Cosmic - how are you? Your last post was asking for prayers? Have you made it through the other side yet?  :-\

Warrior - look at you go!!! I'm really happy that you are managing all of this so well  :)

Green - thanks for the drive by....glad to see/hear you are still doing so well! Why oh why am I so afraid of the liquid?!!!?  :crazy:

Nolan - you are also doing great! How are you feeling?  8)

Omni - I enjoy reading your posts and how you try and remain in a positive state of mind. That will pay off in spades for you  :thumbsup:

Kiddo Thanks! I haven't crossed over yet. I really do appreciate your honesty. I love data from both sides of the equation :)

One of my natural tendencies is to go up and down in a day...originally i am a New Yorker and a bit more animated that most....and that seems to feed into the i/d w/d in a bad way. I feel like a rubber ball bouncing around a room all day so maybe some stability and evenness might do me good.

Is there a place to find info on this forum about Valium depression?

Tanks again Kiddo!

Kiddo you may be right...i may not have stabilized. From some of the posts i read..some folks never do. I will keep on .27 until the appointment on the 14th and if i feel a lot better i'll take another go at lorazepam taper!  Thx

Mark - I would check out the "depression" boards (there is a whole section dedicated to that) and see just how many people are on Valium or post in that section asking if Valium made people depressed. I know of quite a few people who couldn't complete the c/o because of the depression so I just wanted it to be something you took into consideration while deciding on which route to take.  :thumbsup:

Also, I wanted to tell you that 95% of the time I get hit the hardest on Day 4 of a cut. I never feel "well" and I get what I refer to as "rapid cycling" of windows and waves every day. I don't believe this to be interdose. I think it's healing. I think my brain is trying to figure shit out. To me, interdose would be absolutely needing your next dose and getting instant relief of symptoms when you take it. I sometimes get pretty edgy about 15 min before my next dose but other than that I just generally feel shitty almost all the time. I tell you this because my feeling is that what you are experiencing is just plain old withdrawal. Withdrawal doesn't "go away" even after you take your dose. Does that make sense?  :smitten:

If you cut small enough holds are rarely necessary. I've held for about 4 days in the last 50. And I just held for the heck of it and not because I needed to. I know it will take me longer to finish my taper this way but I don't care. I feel great and am able to work. Hope it stays this good.

Hi Green: Just have a few questions re: the compounded liquid . What percentage are you cutting weekly? I think you mentioned the liquid has to be refrigerated? Do you divide your daily dose throughout the day? If so how do you handle transporting your doses with you for work, travel etc? Thanks.

I cut 0.002mg daily. So in a week I guess that would be 0.014mg. That would be with no holds. My signature pretty much shows my taper rate. It's slow but suits me. Yes it needs to be refrigerated. I dose 3 times daily. 2 of those are from home. One before I leave for work and one before bed. The one I bring to work is put into a small plastic container. Similar to what a roll of camera film came in if you remember those. Then I put that into a small thermos and put about 6 ice cubes surrounding it. I leave that right on my desk at work. Come 3:30 I crack it open and the ice is barely melted. Down the hatch it goes. Super easy. Hope that helps.

If you cut small enough holds are rarely necessary. I've held for about 4 days in the last 50. And I just held for the heck of it and not because I needed to. I know it will take me longer to finish my taper this way but I don't care. I feel great and am able to work. Hope it stays this good.

Hi Green: Just have a few questions re: the compounded liquid . What percentage are you cutting weekly? I think you mentioned the liquid has to be refrigerated? Do you divide your daily dose throughout the day? If so how do you handle transporting your doses with you for work, travel etc? Thanks.

I cut 0.002mg daily. So in a week I guess that would be 0.014mg. That would be with no holds. My signature pretty much shows my taper rate. It's slow but suits me. Yes it needs to be refrigerated. I dose 3 times daily. 2 of those are from home. One before I leave for work and one before bed. The one I bring to work is put into a small plastic container. Similar to what a roll of camera film came in if you remember those. Then I put that into a small thermos and put about 6 ice cubes surrounding it. I leave that right on my desk at work. Come 3:30 I crack it open and the ice is barely melted. Down the hatch it goes. Super easy. Hope that helps.

Green you said you get that from compound pharmacy? Or you make it yourself.

Green - thanks for the drive by....glad to see/hear you are still doing so well! Why oh why am I so afraid of the liquid?!!!?  :crazy:

This!!!!!!!!!

Green you said you get that from compound pharmacy? Or you make it yourself.

I get it made monthly at a Compound Pharmacy down the street.

This!!!!!!!!!

Kiddo I'm sure at some point you're going to have to switch to liquid, perhaps after the hold at 0.50??

Not everyone is a powerhouse like Saga and can plow through their taper. Remember the lower you go the harder it is to use the scale.

Thanks Green: So excuse my silly question ( fractions confuse me!) So you are cutting approx 6% per month? Thanks

Hi people, I'm just going to chime in and say hello to everyone, wishing good health and smooth tapers. :)

I've been busy with my recovery from the Effexor XR, I went cold turkey week ago since I couldn't stand the adverse effects from that crap and I'm feeling if not 100 but maybe 70% better than on that crappy SNRI. I hated this drug and decided to use my vacation to get rid of it. To be honest, I expected real hell but apart from usual "brain zaps" (they were not zaps actually just weird feeling when eyes are moved sideways) stomach cramps and bad insomnia for a couple of days I didn't have any other w/d symptoms. I have to say supplements like Omega3, Magnesium and B6 did wonders during the cold turkey w/d.

I'm back to work in full force, not bothering about mild brain zaps, totally ignoring it and they will pass with time.

Also I did crossover to diazepam and to my surprise I didnt have any depression from it, taking antidepressants away I was hoping that depression will catch me up but it didnt. Started tapering diazepam and currently I'm on 16mg.

I canceled appointment with the pDoc since I dont want to give money for usual crap and questions on the session and decided to do this on my own completely. I have two more drugs to quit, it wont be easy but I'm determined to do it.

Wish you all good health and happiness.

Dready - that's so exciting and it progress indeed  :thumbsup:  Im glad you aren't  having any depression. I hope Mark reads this as he is contemplating a c/o as well. Good job on the Effexor too. Way too tough it out. Keep us posted  :)

Yes Kiddo i read what Dready said...thanks to you both  :)

funny when going through w/d i tend to forget i also run high blood pressure which can vary from 160-180/100-110

and Hashimotos....which when i factor in those two things i think c/o and smoothness instead of w/d will benefit me.

When i was diagnosed with Hashimotos last spring it was the tinnitus that made him do all the blood work....i am now looking all the way back to last December and wondering how many of the Lorazepam symptoms might have been misdiagnosed as something else.

I would get really bad DP/DR and visual disrortions at night time. And back then i was taking 10-20ea. 1 mg lorazepam per month.

usually in late morning early Afternoon...just enough time for it to wear off and start to feel some weirdness. When i would take a lorazepam it would settle the symptoms down...but more so i just didn't care i had the sxs and that alone would make them less. Unfortunately the one effect that made lorazepam worth it to me has worn off...i can't ever get to the place where i don't care about the sxs and just get on with my day.

People tell me to occupy my mind more...and i do...but i tell them ...as a metaphor...it is like being poked with a pencil in the back all day ....you can distract for a bit but the pencil still reminds you it is there.

I am hoping this c/o can get me a bit of relief so i can focus on something positive other than the i/d w/d :)

That would also make my wife very happy...maybe more than me...lol

Thanks all

Yes Kiddo i read what Dready said...thanks to you both  :)

funny when going through w/d i tend to forget i also run high blood pressure which can vary from 160-180/100-110

and Hashimotos....which when i factor in those two things i think c/o and smoothness instead of w/d will benefit me.

When i was diagnosed with Hashimotos last spring it was the tinnitus that made him do all the blood work....i am now looking all the way back to last December and wondering how many of the Lorazepam symptoms might have been misdiagnosed as something else.

I would get really bad DP/DR and visual disrortions at night time. And back then i was taking 10-20ea. 1 mg lorazepam per month.

usually in late morning early Afternoon...just enough time for it to wear off and start to feel some weirdness. When i would take a lorazepam it would settle the symptoms down...but more so i just didn't care i had the sxs and that alone would make them less. Unfortunately the one effect that made lorazepam worth it to me has worn off...i can't ever get to the place where i don't care about the sxs and just get on with my day.

People tell me to occupy my mind more...and i do...but i tell them ...as a metaphor...it is like being poked with a pencil in the back all day ....you can distract for a bit but the pencil still reminds you it is there.

I am hoping this c/o can get me a bit of relief so i can focus on something positive other than the i/d w/d :)

That would also make my wife very happy...maybe more than me...lol

Thanks all

Hi Mark:

Not trying to advise you on the planned c/o here. I'd say it is probably a worthwhile effort for you to read the relevant valium threads to get a sense of people's experiences crossing over as well as the experiences of those who are tapering valium (w/o crossover). I did this initially when I gave c/o some thought. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. I too, was bouncing off the walls daily on lorazepam. I don't know how I made it into work (almost) everyday.

Laser yes thanks!

i have been over there posting and reading. I have had some really nice responses from folks who were on ativan/lzp and they all have said it helped with i/d and settled them even though they still experienced sxs.

I am pretty sure i have gone into acute w/d 1 time and maybe two times. It was horrible horrible... but i got through it.

So i am thinking if i went through that and all these i/d w/d every day i should be good on Valium if i take it slow. I am not expecting miracles just a slowing of the everyday bouncing off the walls ride on LZP.

When i am working it is a good distraction. Helping my friend move for 8 hours worked. Filming, editing and assisting on a course for three weeks was good as i was focused on outside stuff. The work i do now at home is creative work....coming up with new products and ideas....this is much much harder to do on LZP....again hoping Valium gives me a bit more smoothness during the day.

As far as depression. I get it on LZP but they seem to be short bouts and gone. I guess i'll have to see if trading works.

Yesterday was tough tough and came close to taking an extra dose early but i didnt. Today is a bit better and could probably keep going with cutting LZP.....but i remember too many bad times already where this rest bit is a illusion.

Thanks  :)

Hi people, I'm just going to chime in and say hello to everyone, wishing good health and smooth tapers. :)

I've been busy with my recovery from the Effexor XR, I went cold turkey week ago since I couldn't stand the adverse effects from that crap and I'm feeling if not 100 but maybe 70% better than on that crappy SNRI. I hated this drug and decided to use my vacation to get rid of it. To be honest, I expected real hell but apart from usual "brain zaps" (they were not zaps actually just weird feeling when eyes are moved sideways) stomach cramps and bad insomnia for a couple of days I didn't have any other w/d symptoms. I have to say supplements like Omega3, Magnesium and B6 did wonders during the cold turkey w/d.

I'm back to work in full force, not bothering about mild brain zaps, totally ignoring it and they will pass with time.

Also I did crossover to diazepam and to my surprise I didnt have any depression from it, taking antidepressants away I was hoping that depression will catch me up but it didnt. Started tapering diazepam and currently I'm on 16mg.

I canceled appointment with the pDoc since I dont want to give money for usual crap and questions on the session and decided to do this on my own completely. I have two more drugs to quit, it wont be easy but I'm determined to do it.

Wish you all good health and happiness.

Dready this is all great news! So happy for you! Effexor was my first really rough w/d...the first of many AD w/ds...you are on your way, and I have no doubt you'll succeed in being drug- free... :smitten:

Thanks Green: So excuse my silly question ( fractions confuse me!) So you are cutting approx 6% per month? Thanks

I don't really focus too much on that stuff. But if my math is correct...multiply that....divide by this....carry the one..... I think it comes out to about 12% per month. (0.06mg from 0.50mg)

Hi, GIT:

Hey, don't take that the wrong way  :thumbsup: You're the first person I've run into who is dosing liquid at a lower taper dose than me, and doing just fine. I make it myself 'cause my MD is lame, but otherwise I'm doing the same thing you are, more or less. I taper at 0.012 mg/day. I found that going to 4X/day dosing eliminated some IW sx I didn't know I had. The solution is OK at room temp for a few hours. My method is linked at the end of my sig if you're curious.

Aweigh

Hi, GIT:

Hey, don't take that the wrong way  :thumbsup: You're the first person I've run into who is dosing liquid at a lower taper dose than me, and doing just fine. I make it myself 'cause my MD is lame, but otherwise I'm doing the same thing you are, more or less. I taper at 0.012 mg/day. I found that going to 4X/day dosing eliminated some IW sx I didn't know I had. The solution is OK at room temp for a few hours. My method is linked at the end of my sig if you're curious.

Aweigh

I believe the higher you are in dose the more you can cut. You'll probably find that cutting 0.012mg daily will be more difficult once you get lower in dose. That's what I've heard anyway.

Hi, GIT:

Aweigh

I believe the higher you are in dose the more you can cut. You'll probably find that cutting 0.012mg daily will be more difficult once you get lower in dose. That's what I've heard anyway.

I wish I could cut @ 0.012/day. I would have been done my taper in a month.

GIT:

I expect you're right. As the dose drops, the % of the dose that you're cutting increases. If you want to keep cutting the same relative amount [%] you have to < the dose. I also take 5 mg of Valium/day. I'm sure that helps with stability and will be the last benzo to go. That's not part of my taper, I was taking it for muscle spasms before I discovered I had IW sx.

CM:

You can. And relatively easily because you're at a very low dose.

Aweigh