Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

i read the information on a site for this new drug that can help people get through this quicker

i was searching help in a positive direction when i saw it

Sorry it threw you in fits...did the same for me

Always keep in mind generally those that aren't successful are the ones that don't have the proper information generally guided by ignorant doctors, psychiatrists, or on their own.

Here on BB you'll have more than enough information and support to drastically increase that % chance of coming off.

Yeah I need to stay off these boards and the Internet because I honestly feel that at times it can really halt my taper. There are so any trigger words and experiences that jolt my anxiety to extreme levels.

Saga

thanks!

yeah not sure how much more i can take of this.

six months of this everyday will do me in

4AM a skunk filled my house with scent...i woke up in severe w/d and having a hard time breathing/palpitations

took my dose early at 5 am getting some relief but having a hard time

read something last night that said what i am trying to do by tapering only has 20% success rate...is this true?

how the heck do folks get off this crap

im worn out

will i stabilize at new dose do you think? or will i just be on edge until next cut and go through this horror each time

Thanks!

Hi Mark,

I came to check this thread and I typed a huge post in response yesterday, now I see it never went through..UGH.. Sorry about that...in a wave here...

So, you're on day 4 of your cut, I felt the brunt of my cuts on day 4 then things improved from that point on, leveling off again. I believe it takes some time to get accustomed to tapering. Since this is your first cut, you haven't figured out a pattern. This is called listening to your body, like Cosmic was pointing out.

I think the people who don't succeed haven't found the forum, and have no idea what's happening. The is very hard work. Don't get caught up in the people who don't succeed, think in a positive way that you will a success. The mental challenge is enormous, but I believe it's essential to frame this in a positive way whenever possible. Of course you can be negative, I go on rants all the time!

I'm not sure what drug you were reading about helping w/d...I keep to the forum, and reading Ashton. I haven't spent a lot of time doing outside research. If there was a magic pill that helped with w/d I dare say we would all be taking it...LOL...

I have found I need to limit my reading even on the forum. A benzo brain is very susceptible to all sorts of irrational and illogical thinking...I can be influenced very easily by certain negatives areas...so, a day late here, but hopefully this helps in some way :smitten:

Saga

I'm not exactly sure what happened but I'm thrown into a really bad wave once again. I don't know if it was reading a couple of posts on here yesterday or it was just bound to happen. I think I may have to hold, once again...

I'm really hoping that this switch over to liquid will help with the precision and help me stabilize once and for all so I can do a proper sxs based taper rather than this ridiculousness of jumping in and out of waves. It's really starting to piss me off. I can't put one step in front of the other and try to deal with my anxiety linearly when I feel good 2 days then I'm thrown in bed for 3,having to start the process all over again.

Saga Thanks for both posts you wrote :-)

First off i wonder i am wondering if there is a glossary here i can refer to when i don't understand words?

I find a month later at this forum i am still learning new terms that would have saved me some posts.

I was going through old posts yesterday and understood them better now i know the meanings...and went on searches for meanings i didn't get and it made a lot more sense. For instance i realized Julia, first let me in here had done a thorough job of answering questions i was still asking throughout the month mainly because i didn't understand what she was telling me. As i get to know this journey better i can see how powerful and to the point a lot of answers have been.

Right now i am wondering what a "wave" is

My nature is to search and sift through as much data as i can in the beginning and then sit tight for the journey. So i do ask a lot of questions and search into areas that others might fear to tread or cause upset. Not meaning to cause upset just trying to find out what my chances and odds are. Even if low i am a willing to go for it type. But i want to know what i am up against. I am not afraid to look at it all and then adjust for the journey.

I find much of what i went through with my 2.5 month journey getting off Metoprolol is being applied here.

I do get this is a chaotic and a non-linear journey. Like the weather we cannot always tell what it will be but when we can make enough distinctions, enough sometimes to at least know what to do in rough weather.

In the spring in Tornado alley there isn't much predictability (but its getting better). To the folks in California they have no idea what the folks in Oklahoma are experiencing...both are experiencing something different, like each of our journey's on Benzos will be different. But even if i never go to California or Oklahoma during my Benzo journey i still want to be prepared as best i can by building a mental storm cellar or mental earthquake proof house or as close as i can. So i gather lots of data.

6 months + can be a long journey. It isn't just a journey...it will be a place i live.

I realized that yesterday and it was tough. I keep trying to escape in my mind and play this game like it is not happening to me. Something like...because i was tricked into this dependence by a Dr. i should have some kind of hall pass out of it.

I came face to face with my own deep pattern of denial and i am pretty sure its not leaving anytime soon.

Yes this pill worked as a magic pill to help me through the horrible Metoprolol withdrawals i experienced...but there is no magic pill for getting out of this.

And it weird to have to take a pill that once helped me with withdrawals is causing me withdrawals. I figured it would at least give me some relief while tapering...but what the hell can you expect from a pill.

I still do have a hard time believing those that made this designer drug didn't have a clue that this is what happens before they let it out to the public...either that or they have changed the formula along the way.

Enough for now i guess.  Thanks for the ear :-)

I'm not exactly sure what happened but I'm thrown into a really bad wave once again. I don't know if it was reading a couple of posts on here yesterday or it was just bound to happen. I think I may have to hold, once again...

I'm really hoping that this switch over to liquid will help with the precision and help me stabilize once and for all so I can do a proper sxs based taper rather than this ridiculousness of jumping in and out of waves. It's really starting to piss me off. I can't put one step in front of the other and try to deal with my anxiety linearly when I feel good 2 days then I'm thrown in bed for 3,having to start the process all over again.

I hear you Cosmic, and I'm sorry...I'd like to say this gets to be more predictable post taper but really it's not...what I believe will happen for you is the knowledge of better precision with the liquid, and that will ease your anxiety about the dosing. It's  very hard to anticipate how this all goes...in fact I'd say it's impossible at times!

Hold as long as you feel necessary, then start moving when you feel ready. It's all you can do...hope this wave passes quickly... :smitten:

Saga

Saga Thanks for both posts you wrote :-)

First off i wonder i am wondering if there is a glossary here i can refer to when i don't understand words?

I find a month later at this forum i am still learning new terms that would have saved me some posts.

I was going through old posts yesterday and understood them better now i know the meanings...and went on searches for meanings i didn't get and it made a lot more sense. For instance i realized Julia, first let me in here had done a thorough job of answering questions i was still asking throughout the month mainly because i didn't understand what she was telling me. As i get to know this journey better i can see how powerful and to the point a lot of answers have been.

Right now i am wondering what a "wave" is

My nature is to search and sift through as much data as i can in the beginning and then sit tight for the journey. So i do ask a lot of questions and search into areas that others might fear to tread or cause upset. Not meaning to cause upset just trying to find out what my chances and odds are. Even if low i am a willing to go for it type. But i want to know what i am up against. I am not afraid to look at it all and then adjust for the journey.

I find much of what i went through with my 2.5 month journey getting off Metoprolol is being applied here.

I do get this is a chaotic and a non-linear journey. Like the weather we cannot always tell what it will be but when we can make enough distinctions, enough sometimes to at least know what to do in rough weather.

In the spring in Tornado alley there isn't much predictability (but its getting better). To the folks in California they have no idea what the folks in Oklahoma are experiencing...both are experiencing something different, like each of our journey's on Benzos will be different. But even if i never go to California or Oklahoma during my Benzo journey i still want to be prepared as best i can by building a mental storm cellar or mental earthquake proof house or as close as i can. So i gather lots of data.

6 months + can be a long journey. It isn't just a journey...it will be a place i live.

I realized that yesterday and it was tough. I keep trying to escape in my mind and play this game like it is not happening to me. Something like...because i was tricked into this dependence by a Dr. i should have some kind of hall pass out of it.

I came face to face with my own deep pattern of denial and i am pretty sure its not leaving anytime soon.

Yes this pill worked as a magic pill to help me through the horrible Metoprolol withdrawals i experienced...but there is no magic pill for getting out of this.

And it weird to have to take a pill that once helped me with withdrawals is causing me withdrawals. I figured it would at least give me some relief while tapering...but what the hell can you expect from a pill.

I still do have a hard time believing those that made this designer drug didn't have a clue that this is what happens before they let it out to the public...either that or they have changed the formula along the way.

Enough for now i guess.  Thanks for the ear :-)

You're very welcome Mark, trying to help where I can! First of all at the top of the w/d section are yellow sticky notes that have common terms etc...I'd read those sections first.

I'm the same way, wanting as much knowledge as possible. I wish I'd found this forum before I started tapering..anyway,you'll find your way through this maze of craziness and learn along the way. I'm not sure you can truthfully be prepared for this, either mentally or physically, to be perfectly honest.

The best thing in my mind is acceptance there is only one way out, and that's through this. You must desperately want this. You must believe in success. You have to will yourself through the tough times, and accept there will be tough times.

I don't want this to sound negative, you already know this is a slog...an endurance test. There is very little predictable about this whole business...I'm in a wave right now. Meaning a tsunami of mental and physical sxs to me. My definition of a window is a felling of utter and sheer joy and peacefulness I have rarely experienced in the last 25 years. I can have many sxs, but still be in a window. I believe these terms are somewhat subjective in nature...everyone has their own idea of what these mean.

By all means, keep reading and learning. You'll gain confidence in your ability along the way to handle this process. Keep asking questions and reading.

Saga  :smitten:

Sorry that you are in a wave Cosmic and Saga, I hope it gets better soon. Ill be praying for you guys. (and for all the people that come to this forum in general, theres a lot of people here, but nothing is too difficult for God)  ;D

Yeah Sorry that you are in a wave Cosmic and Saga, hope you both get some still waters soon!

I will check out the information you sent Saga...thx!

Started out walking this morning while still in w/d...got worse by end of walk but i think it was because of all the smoke in the air from the fires in Northern California. Sky if full of smoke.

I was feeling pretty bad but had promised a good friend i would help him move today. It was a hot 95 with smoke in the air.

At first it was very tough and would take breaks in my car with a/c running. I remember folks said exercise was good so i kept at it. At certain points i was really hallucinating...seeing patterns that were not really there while inside the hot moving truck.

But i kept going ...just kept a good pace and not too much...then followed him to his new house 20 miles away to unpack the truck. About 8 hours total.

The reason i point this out is that at one point i was really tired from all the work...but i realized i felt pretty good in my body.

I am more of a white collar worker..but this felt good. Maybe it is all the BDNF from working out going through my system that has a healing effect.

So my plan is to exercise even more. I was a bit nervous with the palpitations but they seemed to subside though the day...the opposite of what i thought.

Lets both hope for some more of these wonderful windows you talk about  8)

I hear you Cosmic, and I'm sorry...I'd like to say this gets to be more predictable post taper but really it's not...what I believe will happen for you is the knowledge of better precision with the liquid, and that will ease your anxiety about the dosing. It's  very hard to anticipate how this all goes...in fact I'd say it's impossible at times!

Hold as long as you feel necessary, then start moving when you feel ready. It's all you can do...hope this wave passes quickly... :smitten:

Saga

:(

Guys, keep me in your prayers this is not going to be an easy one.

Saga hold my hand well walk through this one together.

Guys, keep me in your prayers this is not going to be an easy one.

Saga hold my hand well walk through this one together.

Will do my friend :)

7-28  I  tried a 1/16th cut off my  7/8 mg morning dose it went well. 8-3 I just cut my bedtime dose by 1/16 from 7/8mg. So now I'm taking 13/16 mg morning and night. Kiddo I know we had talked about cutting both at the same time, but I was to afraid so I did it this way.  Do people cut that low every week or so is that a too low of a dose. I know it will take me a long time this way. I have been having good days for the most part, by small doses so far.  I appreciate reading everyone's thoughts so much. Thank you for sharing it makes it a win -win for everyone. That is why BBs is such a terrific place to come too.

I told my psych doctor about using a scale . He never heard of it. But thought it was a great idea and said he was going to past that on to his other  patients.  I love my scale. I was so nervous about learning how to do it and Kiddo and Sage really made it easy after my brain could get it. LOL  All of you all so wonderful and have giving hearts !

Omni thank you so much, that's  very kind of you!

Cosmic, I'm here anytime, you can always message me as well. I know you didn't want to hear it about the waves, and being able to predict them. Oh, if only we could :sick: I'm mentally rebounding right now, physically still a slog, but I'll take it. Just remember, they always end...

Warrior, great your Dr. Actually listened and said something positive about tapering and using the scale! Glad you figured it out so easily, it does seem overwhelming at times...if you're feeling ok I don't believe it matters if you're cutting smaller amounts. Everyone finds their own way tapering based on their personal situation. No problems with going slowly at all!

Warrior, great your Dr. Actually listened and said something positive about tapering and using the scale! Glad you figured it out so easily, it does seem overwhelming at times...if you're feeling ok I don't believe it matters if you're cutting smaller amounts. Everyone finds their own way tapering based on their personal situation. No problems with going slowly at all!

Saga after 25 years using Ativan you tapered 0,40mg in barely a month (or little more than a month), You're one tough Lady :P I'm Impressed !  ;)

I'm currently holding at 0,40mg until this Friday (since Thursday I will see my girlfriend  :smitten: ) . I'm planning on doing 0,01g/day of Ativan reduction.

Did you felt "Ok" doing this last fast taper at then end or was it a rough time (I mean even harder than previous months ? )

Saga after 25 years using Ativan you tapered 0,40mg in barely a month (or little more than a month), You're one tough Lady :P I'm Impressed !  ;)

I'm currently holding at 0,40mg until this Friday (since Thursday I will see my girlfriend  :smitten: ) . I'm planning on doing 0,01g/day of Ativan reduction.

Did you felt "Ok" doing this last fast taper at then end or was it a rough time (I mean even harder than previous months ? )

I don't know if it was hanging tough or sheer insanity  :laugh: I had a lot of reasons for tapering the way I chose. My best option would've been to cross over and get myself out of tolerance. By the time I found the forum I half heartedly updosed but it didn't help. Drs got me into this mess and I didn't trust them to get me out. I couldn't trust them. Sad but true...

I used the anger I felt at what's happened to me over the last 25 years and decided to try gutting it out. It was brutal all the way, but the debilitating pain I've been in kept improving the lower I went. I HAD to know for sure it was the Ativan...

I just knew I turned a corner at the end,I knew I was going to make it. One of my largest cuts sent me into acute, I felt the immediete uptick, about where I started at the top of my taper. I chose to jump early, figuring it wouldn't get any worse...it didn't :)

I'm close to 100% positive it was the Ativan all along, so my gamble paid off. I wouldn't recommend doing it the way I did, but I have no regrets whatsoever.

So, I wouldn't advise it but I'm not at all sorry... :smitten:

Saga

Cosmic, I'm here anytime, you can always message me as well. I know you didn't want to hear it about the waves, and being able to predict them. Oh, if only we could :sick: I'm mentally rebounding right now, physically still a slog, but I'll take it. Just remember, they always end...

love you saga.

the more i delve deeper into the benzo world the more i realize how this whole process works out. It's crucial for me to work on my anxiety because as asthon says it really is making all my symptoms 100x worse. I think that through my past experience in CT ive wired my brain to automatically panic at any intense sxs, because i didnt know what was happening to me. I feel like i have no choice but to panic, the obsessive intrusive thoughts get real powerful and come down hard.

Last night was heavy, and i knew it was coming. I woke up in the middle of the night with really bad nerve burn and bug crawling in skin sensation. My body was panicked but somehow i was capable of keeping my mind calm.

Ive also noticed that the last 4 waves ive gone through, have been sparked by something ive read benzo related on the internet or on here. Something to keep in mind.

I don't know if it was hanging tough or sheer insanity  :laugh: I had a lot of reasons for tapering the way I chose. My best option would've been to cross over and get myself out of tolerance. By the time I found the forum I half heartedly updosed but it didn't help. Drs got me into this mess and I didn't trust them to get me out. I couldn't trust them. Sad but true...

I used the anger I felt at what's happened to me over the last 25 years and decided to try gutting it out. It was brutal all the way, but the debilitating pain I've been in kept improving the lower I went. I HAD to know for sure it was the Ativan...

I just knew I turned a corner at the end,I knew I was going to make it. One of my largest cuts sent me into acute, I felt the immediete uptick, about where I started at the top of my taper. I chose to jump early, figuring it wouldn't get any worse...it didn't :)

I'm close to 100% positive it was the Ativan all along, so my gamble paid off. I wouldn't recommend doing it the way I did, but I have no regrets whatsoever.

So, I wouldn't advise it but I'm not at all sorry... :smitten:

Saga

You think that you can hit acute even before getting off the drug?

Saga, I'm so glad you found out it was Ativan . What a relief just to know. I hope you feel better soon !

I feel my vocal cord dysfunction was brought on by Ativan . Now that I'm going down I have not had hardly any breathing problems. That drug is  poison . Look at the money a person spends on tests to find out what is wrong, then to find out it was Ativan all the time . Cutting my dose by 1/16th has been easier for me. Time will tell if I have less waves by just cutting 1/16th at a time.  At 1/8 I could not cut as soon so I will keep you posted . I also have noticed I'm more a live. Like I'm waking up little by little. Does anyone else see that in themselves?

We will never let this beat us . WE ARE STRONG AND WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS TOGETHER !

A big thank you to all my B Buddies. You are like breath of fresh air to me.  WE ARE NEVER ALONE !

love you saga.

the more i delve deeper into the benzo world the more i realize how this whole process works out. It's crucial for me to work on my anxiety because as asthon says it really is making all my symptoms 100x worse. I think that through my past experience in CT ive wired my brain to automatically panic at any intense sxs, because i didnt know what was happening to me. I feel like i have no choice but to panic, the obsessive intrusive thoughts get real powerful and come down hard.

Last night was heavy, and i knew it was coming. I woke up in the middle of the night with really bad nerve burn and bug crawling in skin sensation. My body was panicked but somehow i was capable of keeping my mind calm.

Ive also noticed that the last 4 waves ive gone through, have been sparked by something ive read benzo related on the internet or on here. Something to keep in mind.

Love you too Cosmic  :smitten:in my opinion you can absolutely hit acute before you jump! I certainly did, and I knew it was a possibility. I did it anyway...acute just means significant sxs, in my opinion...

But yes, you can send yourself into a worse position mentally by becoming so anxious about something you've read. You're picking up something that triggers the anxiety. Naturally you end up making it worse. I'm having that problem now with sleep and the twitches and jerks. Even though I know they won't hurt me, I tense up thinking about it and make it worse. Then I don't sleep for a few hours.

I never had an anxiety before benzos...I expect it's harder if you come into this with one, so training yourself now is a good plan. Sounds like you're doing ok learning how to manage this right now. :smitten:

Saga

Im tapering fairly fast because I don't have many refills left with no guarantee I can get more. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body. Start at a slow/moderate pace and go from there. If you start getting harsh sxs, back off, if you have titrated daily at a certain pace for a while and you feel fairly well, you can try cutting a bit faster, just don't overdo it. Also, watch out for lag time. You might make a cut and not feel it for a few days.

Saga, I'm so glad you found out it was Ativan . What a relief just to know. I hope you feel better soon !

I feel my vocal cord dysfunction was brought on by Ativan . Now that I'm going down I have not had hardly any breathing problems. That drug is  poison . Look at the money a person spends on tests to find out what is wrong, then to find out it was Ativan all the time . Cutting my dose by 1/16th has been easier for me. Time will tell if I have less waves by just cutting 1/16th at a time.  At 1/8 I could not cut as soon so I will keep you posted . I also have noticed I'm more a live. Like I'm waking up little by little. Does anyone else see that in themselves?

We will never let this beat us . WE ARE STRONG AND WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS TOGETHER !

A big thank you to all my B Buddies. You are like breath of fresh air to me.  WE ARE NEVER ALONE !

Thanks Warrior! Yes, I'm paying for my taper with some heavy sxs, but it was well worth it to me. Healing is happening, and I'm still able to work. That's all I cared about.

Your vocal cord dysfunction absolutely could be caused by the Ativan. Yes, these drugs are pure poison! I am feeling far different already, more alive as you said. I welcome this, I'm glad you're seeing this as well! :smitten:

Saga

Im tapering fairly fast because I don't have many refills left with no guarantee I can get more. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body. Start at a slow/moderate pace and go from there. If you start getting harsh sxs, back off, if you have titrated daily at a certain pace for a while and you feel fairly well, you can try cutting a bit faster, just don't overdo it. Also, watch out for lag time. You might make a cut and not feel it for a few days.

Honestly for daily titration, rriver has a nice method where she daily cuts for 5 days and holds 2 days every weekend. I think this is smart because you're doing the necessary holds for daily titration and if cutting right amount you can enjoy the weekends, hopefully, with fewer sxs.

If you cut small enough holds are rarely necessary. I've held for about 4 days in the last 50. And I just held for the heck of it and not because I needed to. I know it will take me longer to finish my taper this way but I don't care. I feel great and am able to work. Hope it stays this good.

If you cut small enough holds are rarely necessary. I've held for about 4 days in the last 50. And I just held for the heck of it and not because I needed to. I know it will take me longer to finish my taper this way but I don't care. I feel great and am able to work. Hope it stays this good.

Hi Green: Just have a few questions re: the compounded liquid . What percentage are you cutting weekly? I think you mentioned the liquid has to be refrigerated? Do you divide your daily dose throughout the day? If so how do you handle transporting your doses with you for work, travel etc? Thanks.

I am thinking of crossing over to Valium again.

Found a Dr. 5 hours away who will take me. Also asking my two local Dr's to help me cross over so i don't have to go through the added expense and time.

I have cut my doses into 5 daily segments of .27 on the 23rd and then 4 days later i got hit. Its a week later and i am still waking up with tremors and in w/d and it seems like i never do catch up to stabilize through out the day. I am constantly feeling the w/d an hour before my dose. I took a dose two hours early a few days ago and it actually stabilized me for a little while. So i am pretty sure it is i/d w/d

The company that makes the Lorazepam's pills weight 1.18 - 1.20 mg each so i think my original dose was more like 1.75 and i was dosing once in AM and  mid to late afternoon. When i dropped to 5x .30 i had really strong w/d for about 7- 10 days then evened out a bit but still lots of side...they became tolerable so i dropped to .27 as i said above and 4 days later ...pow!

I think i could stand the w/d sxs better if they were not so up and down so often during the day. Its the i/d that is getting me.

and knowing i still am at the beginning of the journey. It not about just me...its my wife and kids. My wife is at the end of her rope watching me suffer and bounce around every day.

I am also considering to do what one Dr. told me and just set aside 2 months and blast through it in the mountains or something.

Also not sure my business will make it with this kind of w/d for 6 months...i am thinking the Valium will at least let me not i/d and i can get some work done and make some money.

I know i have asked a lot of this forum....and i will ask again if you could please give me your opinions here on making this decision in the next day or so to make my appointment with the new C/O Dr.

Thanks again!