Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Cosmic,

Kiddo makes valid points about the short term use etc, and the other examples. We all simply need to evaluate our own situations and take all the variables into consideration. There are many reasons for all the discussions on the forum.

I'm very different than you, my experience won't be yours. My " acute" so far has not been much different than my end of taper. I'm ecstatic about it. Far better than I expected. Tough- quite. Still...we all hope for the best. :smitten:

Saga

Cosmic - you won't. You'll likely have an acute period but it's no worse than tapering (or so I've been told). Even Saga for example jumped at .09 after making large cuts and she had an uptick in sx for a few days and then back to just regular shitty. Even the people I mentioned, all have said that tapering was way harder. In fact, quite a few people mentioned that wish they had jumped earlier if they knew how anti-climatic it was going to be. So if you think that way....you are already surviving the worst.  :thumbsup:

And FYI there are no ridiculous questions in withdrawal  :smitten:

Hi Mark,

Yes, you've for my vote  :laugh: :laugh:  I know many people who have stopped benzos with no problems as well. we are the lucky ones ;)

I agree about limiting exposure, especially for short term users, but that's a personal opinion. I don't agree with long term users needing longer to taper, again, a personal opinion.

There are just too many personal variables to take into consideration, and many people to use as examples for each of us to back up our theories.

The bottom line is just that. They are theories.

We all do the best we can under the circumstances. Kiddo calls me Swiss sometimes, can you tell :laugh:

Saga

Well that's great to hear.

Kiddo, do you think you could have survived cold turkey from the 10 days? It makes you wonder huh. It's something to think about. When I stopped after my first month for a week I felt nothing, nothing! Then a couple days later my body just started disintegrating, hard. Then a couple of trips to the ER later I didn't have much a choice but to taper. I'm so glad that although my starting doses were at 1mg (probably around where I got dependant)  I was able to start my taper all the way down at 0.375,  I am so grateful for that, at least. Now at my current dose I'm not so stingy about reducing quickly.

Mark - that's the caveat....some people have no issues with benzo's at all. My mom has taken them (sporadically) for years and stopped when she saw what was happening to me. No issue. A friend of mine has been on Ativan for 3 years, drinks almost everyday and stops taking A whenever she needs to. No issue. We have to remember that the thousands of people on these boards (and others) are the minority when it comes to this class of drugs. There is something about our genetic makeup that it makes it difficult. Until "they" find out what that is all we can do is be safe, get educated and understand we aren't alone. It's really really sad.

Slower vs Quicker

My thoughts on this are evolving. I actually wish I had c/t'd after the 10 days. But I was a hot mess and hindsight is 20/20. To me there is a fine line between tapering too slow And further creating a dependency and tapering too fast and burning out your CNS. That's why I'm trying to increase my % as I go in hopes to find MY optimal healing rate. I think we need to feel some discomfort in order for our brain to know it has to work to fix the deficiency. But that's obviously just a theory

Did Parker's Post work??

Hello, Kiddo:

My hands are painful, so I'll have to keep this short, but I need to respond to a couple of your comments. Many people have had their lives more or less destroyed by cold turkey wd from benzos. There are plenty of their stories on this site, where CT is generally regarded (as it is in the larger benzo community) as a dangerous and risky approach to wd. To advise people otherwise is potentially harmful.

As with other addictive drugs, anyone who takes benzos daily for several weeks will have changes in their nervous system leading to wd sx upon cessation or rapid reduction. The severity of these sx varies widely and is fairly unpredictable, but certainly dose and time-related.

Your statement that "most [who have bad sx]are the minority when it comes to this class of drugs. There is something about our genetic makeup that it makes it difficult" is simply wrong. If you want evidence for what I say, it's all over this site. I think there's a statement in bold red type on the opening page regarding the dangers of CT.

Anyway, please don't take this personally, but I do feel that you are [no doubt sincerely] disseminating potentially dangerous misinformation.

Aweigh

Cosmic - I don't know if I could have handled it. I might have had I known what it was. Unfortunately, I was on it for another month while researching before I figured it out. Bummer. I sure wish I had gone back on at 1mg or .50mg but nooooooo my doc told me 2mg. FML!!!!!!

Saga / aka. Swiss - love you  :smitten:

Aweigh - firstly, I would like to say that I have never, nor would I ever, advise a cold turkey. I'm really not even sure what you are referring to to be quite honest. I find it a little odd that I've never said that in a post at any point in time...perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else. How would I recommend a c/t when I'm tapering 5% a week?

Secondly, whether you agree or not, we are the minority in the degree of severity of benzo withdrawal. These medications are taken by millions of people annually and the majority can come off with little disruption in their lives. We are not those people. I know many people personally that have no trouble coming on and off benzo's. You are also taking my "quote" out of context. I did NOT say "most who have had bad symptoms are the minority" as you stated. The point I was making is that WE as a WHOLE on THIS board are the minority. And we are. You don't have to agree.

Well I don't mind you offering your opinion, I would appreciate it if you don't skew mine. We are both entitled to our thoughts, theories and concerns but I don't appreciate you taking mine out of context and insinuating that I'm misleading people.

Hopefully, you'll go back and re-read the post that your quoting and this can just be water under the bridge.

Wishing you windows and healing, Kiddo 

Hi, Kiddo:

I focused on your statement "I actually wish I had c/t'd after the 10 days." under the heading 'Slower vs. Quicker' without looking at the whole context. Although I don't understand most of what follows the statement I quote above, you do make it clear that tapering too fast can damage your CNS. My bad. I'm right with you on each of us finding our own optimal healing rate.

When you say that the majority of people who take benzos don't have a problem with them [which is debatable], I can see inexperienced people saying to themselves, "not to worry, the odds are with me, I only take them for sleep." That's how I started. But that's just me. I do think the statement is misleading, no insinuation there--but, as you say, it's my opinion. And not an accusation.

I put [who have bad sx] in square brackets and italics to indicate that it was my addition and not your verbatim quote. I almost added -Ed. but figured it was unnecessary. I believed I was supplying implied meaning, but obviously I was mistaken. My apologies.

Wide windows and weak waves,

Aweigh

Aweigh - thanks for clarifying....I realized afterwards you probably didn't read all the posts leading up to that one. No worries. How are things going with your taper?

Guys, random question. Have you heard of anyone that started their taper without Interdose wd, however later on in their taper they did?  For example, I'm dosing 3x and never really had an issue with Interdose. Now at halfway I suspect I may be going through some degree of Interdose. Thoughts?

Cosmic - hey buddy....my thoughts on this are perhaps as your dose is getting lower and the pieces are becoming so small you aren't getting as much "time" from each dose? I have no idea. Just spit balling. I'm not even sure if that makes sense since I'm getting lower in dose and not getting interdose. I know sometimes people have to switch their tapers up more than once, I'm sure I'll have to at some point if things go south. Maybe it's time to try 4x a day? That seems to be the average for Ativan users. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give another perspective.

Cosmic - hey buddy....my thoughts on this are perhaps as your dose is getting lower and the pieces are becoming so small you aren't getting as much "time" from each dose? I have no idea. Just spit balling. I'm not even sure if that makes sense since I'm getting lower in dose and not getting interdose. I know sometimes people have to switch their tapers up more than once, I'm sure I'll have to at some point if things go south. Maybe it's time to try 4x a day? That seems to be the average for Ativan users. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give another perspective.

Definitely something I'll consider. Generally my night to morning dose is 10 hours apart, and I don't really have much Interdose other than a bit of depression, but I would suspect that's more seroquel than anything.

Another thing that's really baffling me, my physical symptoms have really diminished lately, little bits of tight chest, a tiny bit of burning skin, the minor stuff. However my anxiety has been through the roof the last 3 weeks. One thing that helped me get through my first half was literally just letting go. Telling myself that nothing bad can happen. After my recent wave, which was much worse than any wave I've ever experienced before, I can't stop thinking about withdrawal and negative things, it's the only thing on my mind. Do you think my last wave could have resparked my anxiety?

Definitely something I'll consider. Generally my night to morning dose is 10 hours apart, and I don't really have much Interdose other than a bit of depression, but I would suspect that's more seroquel than anything.

Another thing that's really baffling me, my physical symptoms have really diminished lately, little bits of tight chest, a tiny bit of burning skin, the minor stuff. However my anxiety has been through the roof the last 3 weeks. One thing that helped me get through my first half was literally just letting go. Telling myself that nothing bad can happen. After my recent wave, which was much worse than any wave I've ever experienced before, I can't stop thinking about withdrawal and negative things, it's the only thing on my mind. Do you think my last wave could have resparked my anxiety?

Hi Cosmic,

If you think interdose is a problem I'd definitely switch it up to 4x day. I believe 3x would be tough. It could also simply be more difficult as you're going lower with the taper. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's a possibility.

About the anxiety, my belief is that this is such an anxiety ridden process, you're probably far more anxious after this last wave. Now you're waiting for something negative to happen- creating far more anxiety. I think that's part of everyone's experience. Certainly it played a big part for me. I was always expecting something else to happen. It's tough to get out of your head when you reach that point. Distract distract distract :smitten:

Saga

Hi Cosmic,

If you think interdose is a problem I'd definitely switch it up to 4x day. I believe 3x would be tough. It could also simply be more difficult as you're going lower with the taper. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's a possibility.

About the anxiety, my belief is that this is such an anxiety ridden process, you're probably far more anxious after this last wave. Now you're waiting for something negative to happen- creating far more anxiety. I think that's part of everyone's experience. Certainly it played a big part for me. I was always expecting something else to happen. It's tough to get out of your head when you reach that point. Distract distract distract :smitten:

Saga

Thats definitely a possibility. Honestly at first I was really confident  because lowering my dose hadn't posed major problems. I was confident that I would get off with no problems, and working on my anxiety was the main concern. The thing that kinda jolted me this last wave is that I cant control anxiety from benzo. I felt helpless.

I've been holding for a little while now with minor relief in anxiety, I feel a tiny bit more stable but I'm quite scared to cut again.

The thing is, I don't even know what Windows are anymore. For example, today I went to play a moderate level of soccer, I was capable with no major problems, however, the moment I return to doing nothing my mind starts racing and racing and bringing me down. I still dont feel comfortable, I can't relax because my mind is occupied with all this withdrawal stuff, but I am capable to do things.

Hey Cosmic - I think that fact you are able to go and play soccer and do thing is testament to two things:

1) how well your taper is going, you are obviously doing something right

2) how distraction is key. When you are out doing things you don't have the time to ruminate

Anxiety was pre-existing for you, so it natural and normal that you will feel it in withdrawal. Remember, even if we go slow, there are still going to be windows and waves. I, personally, don't believe there is a symptom free taper. There may be a few people who have done it, but I think most of us will struggle with symptoms....the difference being the intensity.

I agree with not being able to control chemical anxiety. It's a different beast than the anxiety I've had all my life for sure. All I can do is remind myself that's it's just a symptom of withdrawal, it's normal and it isn't going to hurt me. It's very difficult some days.

Hey Cosmic - I think that fact you are able to go and play soccer and do thing is testament to two things:

1) how well your taper is going, you are obviously doing something right

2) how distraction is key. When you are out doing things you don't have the time to ruminate

Anxiety was pre-existing for you, so it natural and normal that you will feel it in withdrawal. Remember, even if we go slow, there are still going to be windows and waves. I, personally, don't believe there is a symptom free taper. There may be a few people who have done it, but I think most of us will struggle with symptoms....the difference being the intensity.

I agree with not being able to control chemical anxiety. It's a different beast than the anxiety I've had all my life for sure. All I can do is remind myself that's it's just a symptom of withdrawal, it's normal and it isn't going to hurt me. It's very difficult some days.

I love you guys. You are always able to give me hope and motivation with your words. Here I am terrorizing my withdrawal in fear thinking it's the worse ever without realizing the positives. I really need to grasp and hold onto the moments I'm not suffering. Thank you guys

Also I want to let you guys know that I save all the uplifting messages and kind words you guys give. In tougher times I always read them for reassurance. I'm starting to collect quite the novel now.

That's a great idea Cosmic  :thumbsup:  I think Saga does something similar too. We are ALL going to be better human beings after all this is over  :smitten:

Also I want to let you guys know that I save all the uplifting messages and kind words you guys give. In tougher times I always read them for reassurance. I'm starting to collect quite the novel now.

Love back at you Cosmic :smitten:  Really glad to be helping in any way. Just remember you are stronger than you know. Try to stop fearing the "what ifs". The mental part of this is really tough.you can do this :thumbsup:

Love back at you Cosmic :smitten:  Really glad to be helping in any way. Just remember you are stronger than you know. Try to stop fearing the "what ifs". The mental part of this is really tough.you can do this :thumbsup:

I'm trying my best. I think a wave is coming upon me. I'm getting flashbacks of me at the ER and how I feel when I have convulsions. It's very unsettling.

Cosmic - it sounds unsettling. But remember you are safe. You are uncomfortable and scared, but safe. You've gotten through it before and this time will be no different.

Have you ever noticed a correlation between when you get out and do a lot (soccer, hanging out with friends, biking) that you get an uptick in symptoms later on? I find that true for me, maybe something to just keep an eye on. Staying busy is amazing as long as you aren't over doing it. Even good stress can rev me up.

We are here if you need us  :smitten:

Cosmic - it sounds unsettling. But remember you are safe. You are uncomfortable and scared, but safe. You've gotten through it before and this time will be no different.

Have you ever noticed a correlation between when you get out and do a lot (soccer, hanging out with friends, biking) that you get an uptick in symptoms later on? I find that true for me, maybe something to just keep an eye on. Staying busy is amazing as long as you aren't over doing it. Even good stress can rev me up.

We are here if you need us  :smitten:

That may be true actually, especially after doing sports. But when I do hang out with friends I feel depressed after, because I re enter the realities of withdrawal

Cosmic - that happens to me too. I get really jealous of all the people out living their lives without a care in the world. I hate the feeling of envy....I'm not used to it. But this is a different kind of envy. It deeper  :(