Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

12-24 months and up support group

[La...]

How do you guys explain your symptoms to friends/ family. I desperately try to appear normal, as I don't  have physical symptoms harder to explain. People keep saying go away fir few days make you feel better, when can't even go out for the day, Do feel pretty low got nowhere complaining to the official ombudsman fir NHS, just got told will chase thing up with surgery. Just get so angry GP's can virtually do as they like, ignore guidance as nobody does a thing, just close ranks. Think this course made me feel worse. Send some of your optimism across the pond to me Lady D please.😖

A quick response as it’s late here & I gotta try & sleep.  I stopped trying to explain to people.  I simply just fake it.  To me there is no pint trying to explain this crazy BWD who just can’t fathom it - & I’m glad they can’t & hope they never will experience it themselves.

Happy Birthday! It will get better for you.  Hard to do but forget about the wrong stuff the doctors have done to you - it’s hurting you thinking about it.  Try to focus on positive stuff. Good on you for trying the course out.  You are healing - I know it doesn’t feel like you are but you are indeed healing. It’s going to be ok. I’m on a terrible wave right now after feeling a lot better - I’m just breathing through it.  Just breathe & think hood thoughts, eat well & drink lots of water.  Keep putting one foot in front of the other.. you will get there. You will you will you will.

Thanks Bess hope the wave soon passes and you get some sleep.. Yes combination trying the course and the supplement sent me into a wave I think. I do try to appear normal but getting really hard, and people keep saying haven't you been  back to doctors, aren't you better yet, sure they think I'm crazy.. My son just thinks it's OCD, and should just do CBT. Been doing that for months done zilch. Just get so envious of people who are improving, which makes me a really horrible person, even though I really am pleased they are recoveringnd but a bad trait to have, can't even  read the success stories anymore. I just wish I could discover what triggered the thought pattern, I have never in my life wanted to hurt anybody, so baffles me why I feel like this. Rambling on I'll shut up😃

Good morning ( it’s morning in the USA)  :) I’ve read all of your posts. It seems that we all are having a rough time right now. It’s ok because we all know by now that it’s temporary even though it sucks.

Becks I have read your story and it is very heartbreaking that you still haven’t healed as much as most have being 9 years off. I know this has you depressed every day. It’s understandable. It would depress anybody. I wonder if you could try acupuncture? I hate suggesting things like this to anyone because I don’t want to be responsible for making anyone feel worse. But in your case, I think it might be worth a try. Just wondering if you ever considered it. I’ve read on here how it helped some of the worse cases. I wish there was something that would alleviate your discomfort. I know from what you’ve shared, that some of your issues are disease related. Maybe if those are addressed then you might feel better. Also are you currently taking any herbs or supplements? Maybe some of those are making you worse. I’m thinking with an injured brain they certainly wouldn’t be processed properly. Anyway under the circumstances I think you do as best as you can each day. You should be proud of that. I know you’re miserable but you are alive and making it each day. It shows your perseverance. All is not loss. That is a great quality to have.

Leann I’m happy to share some positivity and send you some across the waters. I think that you’re not giving yourself enough credit either. Take a minute and look at how far you’ve come but yet you’re also still here. That takes much strength to get through the day every day but YOU do it. Is there any way you can start fighting the depression a little more? Is there something you can implement when it’s really bad? Knit? Watch something funny? Play a game or puzzle? Art? Write in a journal positive things? Etc. There’s a very cute little monkey on YouTube that I watch when I’m having a not so good day. Her name is BiBi. Go check her out! Smartest human like monkey I’ve ever seen. The key is distracting from your symptoms so you don’t let it get worse. That’s what I do to stay positive. And I agree with you that the supplements might have made you worse. Tough love here….are you done doing that? We all have to give our poor injured brains the space to heal without interference. In my opinion it’s best to not give an injured brain another job of processing something while it’s already struggling to keep up with normal body functions. Even Dr Ashton said this same thing. Her words are “ unless it’s absolutely necessary”. From all that I’ve read, it DISRUPTS healing. There’s no magic combination that will cure this. I know when we feel really bad day, the first thing we think is what can we do to feel better and usually those thoughts involve taking something. I’m not getting on to you Leann but I’m being a friend showing you love. That’s my intent! Do you have a pet? Bess got a pet to help her cope. She can tell you how comforting it is to her. Maybe you can start going for walks when your feeling very low. Nature is naturally soothing. Walking naturally fights depression and stress. Maybe you can set a time to walk each day even if it’s cold. That’s one of the things I wish I could do every day. Go for walks. But I’ll get back to doing that when my body is ready. It’s already making progress  :thumbsup: Maybe take this birthday and make a fresh start of engaging in more positive things that bring you joy. You’ll feel so much better if you do.

Bess I’m sorry that you’re having waves again. I’m also having them. You already know they’re temporary. We just have to distract and wait until it leaves. You’re doing very well. Keep up the good work. I hope today the window returns. Right now I’m here as a distraction. When I’m feeling better I’m going to try to go outside with the help of my caregiver. It’s a bit cloudy today but I don’t care. I’m tired of being indoors lol If I have to I might crawl out of here.  :laugh: Well I guess that’s a sign that I’m getting cabin fever. Love and hugs 🤗

GG I’m hoping you are doing well darling lady 😊 what have you been up to? Been anywhere fun? Decorating for Xmas? What do you do for the holidays? Sending you bigggg huggsss too 🤗🤗🤗

Leann asked the good question about explaining to family/friends about this. I’d like to chime in to say there’s not much we can do to get them to understand any of this. We tell them but they don’t get it. Even the ones who are supporting us don’t get it. They just see that we are in distress. I’ve explained this on another thread Leann that it’s like describing to a young female what it’s like to give birth. They’ve never had that experience so even telling them doesn’t do much to help them understand. It only gives them a very general idea. Some things HAVE to be experienced in order to truly know. This recovery is one of those things. Until that young lady gets pregnant herself and give birth herself, she CANNOT know what it’s like. Our family and friends can’t know what we’re really going through because it’s not THEIR experience. Think about it, we barely can put it into words ourselves! If we wouldn’t have been going through this we wouldn’t understand it either. Most of us look fine on the outside so that’s what they see. Out of fairness, they cannot see what’s going on inside. I’m in no way excusing our loved ones for not being supportive, ignoring us, abandoning us, disregarding our needs, etc. SHAME ON THEM! I’ve watched some people treat their dogs better than their sick loved ones. Their sick dogs or cats was shown unconditional attention and care. Leann it’s sad but it’s many of our realities. We have to be our own advocates in this. Not our own enemies. I’m glad we here on BB has each other’s backs. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

You are right about no more supplements. I'm very unsure about the booster jab, people still seem be getting covid  here despite having all the jabs. I'll decide next year. I go out for a walk every  day, make myself so I don't end up agrophobic, go to a pilates class every week. Think just get frustrated can't do things I used to do, or plan evening or day out anywhere.

Funny I've done loads knitting, does pass the time. The distractions worked well for first year or so but not so effective now. Just in bit of low mood at moment can't seem to shake.

I know it's hard for others to understand, just grateful my husband really patient with me. Think you said you don't have partner, makes me admire you even more for being so positive!

How very sweet of you darling Leann. Thank you! I haven’t lost hope for you. You will get better and so will I. I’m glad you’re getting out ea h day and also going for walks.  :thumbsup: It’s ok you’re having low mood, that’s also a symptom. Just wanted to see if there was something else you can do to pass your time while you heal. To put a smile on your face today  :hug:

I pray you enjoy your birthday and have all the joy you can hold.

Yes I’m without a partner ( he left me and were divorcing). I’m glad yours is there for you showing patience, love and devotion. That is a blessing. I’ve read many others on here had the same thing happen to them while going through this. Their partner left them when they needed them the most. I’ve taken on a new disposition about my situation….he didn’t leave me, he freed me!  :thumbsup: I’m looking forward to finding a new life and love. Enjoying my healing. I’m excited about that. I don’t need a man to be happy but a companion is nice to have.

Have any of you tried chamomile. I've taken capsules throughout for sleep.. Life still pretty awful so wondering if chamomile might be prolonging symptoms. Whether I should try stopping it, but just paranoid insomnia will return if I stop them

Ohhhhhhh lordddddd Leannn! Chamomile acts on gaba receptors. In my opinion it’s not good. Maybe that’s why you feel so terrible! Wow. Dr Ashton said to stay clear away from it as well as oregano and a good list of other things. If you look up chamomlie effects on the brain you will see what I’m talking about. ANYTHING that acts on those damaged receptors should be avoided. It’s classified as a natural benzodiazepine.  :o

Check this out…a component of chamomile is apigenin which binds to the SAME receptor sites as benzodiazepines in the brain. This is why it’s used to induce sleep.

I'll try stopping it. Reached rock  bottom, won't put into words what I'm thinking. Day from hell, wish I knew why suddenly get hit with this overwhelming depression, affecting my husband, he went off a couple hours ago hasn't come home yet, Can't go on like this.

I don't believe that chamomile tea is bad for anyone.  It's a natural herb.  I don't think we should avoid taking those things that are natural.  They don't act on the GABA receptors at all like man-made benzo's and Z-drugs do.  I've been taking a bit of Dr's Best Elemental magnesium too for years now and it helps me sleep and be regular.  It contains glycine and lysine and those amino acids are good for people.  I did read where some people said certain substances are on the potentially dangerous list and it wasn't Dr. Ashton who said it.  Who are these people?  I don't see where Dr. Ashton had a dangerous list:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements/

This article says that chamomile tea is good for people.  It is a natural antioxidant too:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/5-benefits-of-chamomile-tea#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4

The benzo coalition that you linked to has doctors on it's board. Also Jennifer Leigh who is very knowledgable also advised against chamomile. I'm not saying it is bad, just saying there is some evidence that it along with certain other things can be detrimental . The proof is if I try stopping it for a week see if makes any difference. But I know some on here can't tolerate it. I think any herbs you will alway get for and against points of view.

Wow I've been busy the last few days and missed this really good conversation ... I have been so torn about trying the camomile again myself.  Before this nightmare I used to drink one or two cups a day and I really felt that it calmed me down.  And Becks is right it has great benefits which I'd love to get back to.  I quit it about 4 months into withdrawal because I thought it might be contributing to my intense pain flares, but hard to know for sure.  I did drink it for those first few months into acute WD and it definitely helped me sleep.  I experimented with it once in May 2020 to get through a family gathering at I was fine for about 4 days then had an intense pain flare, but that could have been the stress.  Camomile is on my list of things to get back to for sure.

But with all that said Leanne it is worth a try to stop it for a week and see...I think it would take about 5 days for it to clear your system so keep that in mind.  I bet the seasonal thing is definitely a huge factor for you, it is for me.  I use the lightbox and it really helps me this time of year.  It helps make serotonin, and that would help you make melatonin too.  Leanne you also can't tweeze out how much the pandemic has affected everyone's mental health.  There is a huge crisis looming with an epidemic of mental health issues from this horrible pandemic  :'(

Jennifer Leigh advises against it as do few others think because it's Affects the GABBa. I used to take valerian to help with sleep, worked for a while but then seemed to make me anxious after few months. Do seemed of stirred up a hornets nest, I'm not saying it's bad, but I'll try stopping it for week let you know. I am really sensitive to most supplements so might be affecting me without realising it. I take the capsules the tea never did anything for me.

Morning everyone.

Ok let me say it again….chamomile and other things that make you sleepy acts on the gaba receptors! Point, blank, period! Herbs do have health benefits. I’m not saying they don’t but are we not talking about damaged gaba receptors here?? Dr Ashton, Dr Jen Lee and others DID advise caution against chamomile and magnesium as well as others. These things ARE on the no no list. Which is why some BBs are still suffering and possibly the reason they aren’t healed as well as they could be. It makes sense because they STILL hitting their receptors. Some people can use these herbs with no problem. Some at first it doesn’t cause an issue but down the road it turns on them. Some can’t can’t use them but later in their healing they can. Some can’t use them at all.

Here’s MY opinion, it’s hard to tell what is causing what when there’s an injured brain involved. So it’s best to not disrupt the healing process with trying this and that. Why would anybody take a chance of causing themselves more serif it’s not necessary? Does that not make sense??? To me it’s like having a bleeding wound that finally stopped bleeding and have scabbed over. Then you sit there picking the scab off which introduces germs and start it to bleeding again. Which now it gets infected ( worse) when all you had to do was leave it alone! This happened to me when I was a kid. I’m sure you all had this experience too.  Keep in mind with injured brains sometimes the thinking skills are not that good. All kinds of “ bright ideas” to so called help ourselves pop up in our head. That doesn’t mean it IS a good idea. Matter of fact, since we’re aware that we have these thoughts, shouldn’t we question even more the ideas? I’d say, the majority of them we should dismiss them altogether.

Leann As I said before, I would hate to see you or anyone suffer more than they have to because they’re trying this or that. But I’m not in control of anybody as far as what they do with their own body. It won’t be affected by what they do. But as I said before, as a friend, if I KNOW what I’m saying is accurate, I will warn people. It is out of love! At the end of the day, each of us is responsible for own our recovery. Many People on here give advice. Some is good common sense and some is not so good. Please discern for yourself what is right for you. They mean well but taking ill advice can have serious consequences in which YOU will be the one suffering. Once again, I will advise anyone to never do anything to disrupt their healing. By now we all know good and well how this goes…waves and windows some months worse than others until we heal.

Once again, I’m not anybody’s savior or expert BUT I’m a loving supportive friend who will do all I can to help someone else make it through the day even though I’m in bad physical shape myself. That’s just the kind of heart God put in me. I really do care. I really do love y’all. I hope I didn’t come across mean but at some point the question within ourselves need to be answered….ok, when am I going to STOP trying things to heal myself when every time I do, it doesn’t work? Why don’t I just sit down let time past and distract myself with something positive every day?

:smitten::hug:

I agree with you Lady Den, people forget lot of medicines are derived from herbs. Just got slated by everyone saying how wonderful chamomile is on another post. I agree things we could take previously, may affect us now. I'm stopping taking it fir a week, see if makes a difference anyway. Everything is very trial and error with herbs and supplements I think. But you make a very valid points. I'll update see  if makes any difference, I'm not strongly for or against it, just trying eliminating any possible supplements that might be affecting recovery😊

Morning everyone.

Ok let me say it again….chamomile and other things that make you sleepy acts on the gaba receptors! Point, blank, period! Herbs do have health benefits. I’m not saying they don’t but are we not talking about damaged gaba receptors here?? Dr Ashton, Dr Jen Lee and others DID advise caution against chamomile and magnesium as well as others. These things ARE on the no no list. Which is why some BBs are still suffering and possibly the reason they aren’t healed as well as they could be. It makes sense because they STILL hitting their receptors. Some people can use these herbs with no problem. Some at first it doesn’t cause an issue but down the road it turns on them. Some can’t can’t use them but later in their healing they can. Some can’t use them at all.

Here’s MY opinion, it’s hard to tell what is causing what when there’s an injured brain involved. So it’s best to not disrupt the healing process with trying this and that. Why would anybody take a chance of causing themselves more serif it’s not necessary? Does that not make sense??? To me it’s like having a bleeding wound that finally stopped bleeding and have scabbed over. Then you sit there picking the scab off which introduces germs and start it to bleeding again. Which now it gets infected ( worse) when all you had to do was leave it alone! This happened to me when I was a kid. I’m sure you all had this experience too.  Keep in mind with injured brains sometimes the thinking skills are not that good. All kinds of “ bright ideas” to so called help ourselves pop up in our head. That doesn’t mean it IS a good idea. Matter of fact, since we’re aware that we have these thoughts, shouldn’t we question even more the ideas? I’d say, the majority of them we should dismiss them altogether.

Leann As I said before, I would hate to see you or anyone suffer more than they have to because they’re trying this or that. But I’m not in control of anybody as far as what they do with their own body. It won’t be affected by what they do. But as I said before, as a friend, if I KNOW what I’m saying is accurate, I will warn people. It is out of love! At the end of the day, each of us is responsible for own our recovery. Many People on here give advice. Some is good common sense and some is not so good. Please discern for yourself what is right for you. They mean well but taking ill advice can have serious consequences in which YOU will be the one suffering. Once again, I will advise anyone to never do anything to disrupt their healing. By now we all know good and well how this goes…waves and windows some months worse than others until we heal.

Once again, I’m not anybody’s savior or expert BUT I’m a loving supportive friend who will do all I can to help someone else make it through the day even though I’m in bad physical shape myself. That’s just the kind of heart God put in me. I really do care. I really do love y’all. I hope I didn’t come across mean but at some point the question within ourselves need to be answered….ok, when am I going to STOP trying things to heal myself when every time I do, it doesn’t work? Why don’t I just sit down let time past and distract myself with something positive every day?

Dr. Ashton and Dr. Lee  do not have experience and expertise with herbs. Parsley and Celery affects gaba receptors too many things we eat binds to GABA like potatoes that have a relaxing effect. We don't avoid those. The list that Ashton made is outdated and unscientific and her opinion not scientific fact. The fact is the sedating herbs are beneficial for the nervous system to restore and repair it as they are neuroprotective anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. These herbs do not delay healing they speed it up as Dr. Peter Smith says. Many people on this forum have found relief and benefit from these herbs including myself. What we should stay away from is herb and supplements that stimulate the nervous system like coffee, B12, synthetic Vit D, etc..

Chamomile is gentle and neuroprotective the herb has been used for people with neurodegenerative diseases with good results.

Morning everyone.

Dr. Ashton and Dr. Lee  do not have experience and expertise with herbs. Parsley and Celery affects gaba receptors too many things we eat binds to GABA like potatoes that have a relaxing effect. We don't avoid those. The list that Ashton made is outdated and unscientific and her opinion not scientific fact. The fact is the sedating herbs are beneficial for the nervous system to restore and repair it as they are neuroprotective anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. These herbs do not delay healing they speed it up as Dr. Peter Smith says. Many people on this forum have found relief and benefit from these herbs including myself. What we should stay away from is herb and supplements that stimulate the nervous system like coffee, B12, synthetic Vit D, etc..

Chamomile is gentle and neuroprotective the herb has been used for people with neurodegenerative diseases with good results.

Chamomile stuffs me - sets me back. 

I agree with you Lady Den, people forget lot of medicines are derived from herbs. Just got slated by everyone saying how wonderful chamomile is on another post. I agree things we could take previously, may affect us now. I'm stopping taking it fir a week, see if makes a difference anyway. Everything is very trial and error with herbs and supplements I think. But you make a very valid points. I'll update see  if makes any difference, I'm not strongly for or against it, just trying eliminating any possible supplements that might be affecting recovery😊

Very good Leann. I’m glad to hear you will stop using it for awhile to see if it makes a difference. As I said some can handle chamomile and some can’t. I’m looking forward to seeing if you start feeling better. Sending you love and hugs 🤗

Very good Leann. I’m glad to hear you will stop using it for awhile to see if it makes a difference. As I said some can handle chamomile and some can’t. I’m looking forward to seeing if you start feeling better. Sending you love and hugs 🤗

I’m with lady den. Good on you LeAnn for giving it a go getting off camomile.  I understand the need in BWD to try & get the symptoms to go away - but more times than not what we take can increase symptoms.  I think give it more than a week to see how you feel off camomile.  Give it at least 8 weeks. You will heal Leann - you just have to tube totes of time.  Remember that you only came off AD’s 18 months ago, I think I remember reading on your lists you have had rescue doses & tried to reinstate? This can affect the length of BWD also. Give yourself time. You will be ok. Just keep

On breathing, keep drinking lots of water, keep meditating & doing Yoga  keep eating clean healthy whole foods. You will be ok.  I’m looking forward to hearing some positive posts from you. You will be ok.  Just keep on going.

Yes think will stay off supplements anything I've tried seems make things worse. I have taken the odd rescue dose when dealing with all stress my Mum's actions caused. Haven't really reinstated, just taken zop fir couple nights, probably hasn't helped I agree. Just I never get a window or glimpse of normality. Be glad when Christmas over, the fact meant to be happy family time triggers lot stuff. I was listening to Jennifer Leigh video, she said if you don't believe you are going to recover, or have additional stress it won't actually stop you healing which is something!

Ok so

I’m gonna disagree with you LeAnn on you not having a window - I remember a couple of times you’ve said you’ve had small windows - you have had windows.  I’m glad you watched Jennifer Leigh - watch more - watch as many as you can. Eat well, drink lots of water, Meditate, do yoga. Think as many kind thoughts about yourself to yourself.  You are gonna be ok. Just keep going. One foot in front of the other. 

Had an hour one morning once where I felt OK briefly. I guess it depends what you class as a windiw. The anxiety and the intrusive thoughts are there 24/7 , just they intensify some times more than others. I maybe be wrong but thought a window was when you felt improved and more hopeful about recovery?  Correct me if I'm wrong, don't really know what is judged to be a window having only experienced it once!Yes Jennifer Leigh  did a short video about intrusive thoughts described them perfectly. Have felt really depressed recently, probably partly time year. Think it's just fact feel worse than I did months ago. If I see one more Christmas advert going to scream as well!!

Yep what you experienced was a window. An hour window is good.  Windows aren’t the same for everyone - my womsuws would be different to many people but you’ve delicately had a window. Start to focus on the fast you have had windows & try not to focus so ouch on the lack of windows.  Focus on what you want. Watch the secret on Netflix. Watch 14 peaks too.  Watch things that are uplifting. Start saying to yourself that you are healing - because you are. Healing comes in ebbs & flows. The nature of BWD us not linear so it’s normal you go up & down during WD. You are healing. Repeat that to yourself. Tomorrow post something here about something positive that happened to you today.

Something positive that happened to

Me today was I got a really easy parking spot. I got some new business for my business & I am staying at a friends place while they are away & that gave pool I can swim in.  Now it’s your turn to oust somethings that happened to you that are positive. You have to take control of your mind through BWD & turn things around as much as you can.

Thanks Bess. Think it depends what your symptoms are, think with severe mental symptoms, as Jennifer Leigh said you totally loose control of your thoughts, you can't actually stop them. So trying to find positivity really hard. When I had physical stuff was easier to distract and work through it. Think most people with bad mental symptoms really struggle. I agree it's definitely non linear. Thanks for your kind words anyway😊

I’m with lady den. Good on you LeAnn for giving it a go getting off camomile.  I understand the need in BWD to try & get the symptoms to go away - but more times than not what we take can increase symptoms.  I think give it more than a week to see how you feel off camomile.  Give it at least 8 weeks. You will heal Leann - you just have to tube totes of time.  Remember that you only came off AD’s 18 months ago, I think I remember reading on your lists you have had rescue doses & tried to reinstate? This can affect the length of BWD also. Give yourself time. You will be ok. Just keep

On breathing, keep drinking lots of water, keep meditating & doing Yoga  keep eating clean healthy whole foods. You will be ok.  I’m looking forward to hearing some positive posts from you. You will be ok.  Just keep on going.

I absolutely agree with this Bess.  :thumbsup: It needs to be more than a week of just letting the body have a break. I’m also looking forward to reading Leann’s post about her progress. I’m so excited for her and us! Leann has been through a lot. We all have. But as you said we must keep going because we will be ok. A good thing I try to remember is this… I have healed some already so I know I can heal more. Matter of fact, it’s in the making right now so all I have to do is wait. Like waiting on a train to arrive. It’s coming! I hear the whistle blowing! It’s close so I’m going to stand right here and wait.  :smitten:

Bess, may today be a happy window for you. And you too Leann. We’re here for each other. We got this!