Important Survey - Please Participate ×

12-24 months and up support group

[La...]

Good morning lovely buddies! I pray that y’all slept well last night. I’ve been thinking about something….our bodies restores, repairs and regenerates when we sleep then why don’t we heal faster? Me personally, most nights I sleep pretty good. A bad night for me is when I get 4 hours. My usual is about 6-7 hours mostly solid sleep. I’m not bragging or saying this to make anyone feel bad if they’re still struggling with insomnia. Just wanted to say that. But I’ve been sleeping pretty well nearly my whole taper and duration of my almost 18 months of recovery. This has been a puzzling question I’ve had from the start. Perhaps nobody can answer it but it just doesn’t make sense. I’ve read posts of other buddies saying once they started sleeping decently they started healing faster. I’ve also read them saying if they have a bad night then the rest of the day they feel like crap. The last sentence has been the case for me as well. I feel awful all day if I don’t sleep well.

Anybody want to weigh in? What’s your experiences?

I think if you are in pain sleep  would indeed help, but anxiety, mental symptoms does nothing to help. I only sleep max about 5 hours broken sleep,  but if get bad night agree it makes symptoms seems worse, but sleeping through does nothing to help. I coped for years with insomnia, was working, and was functioning much better than I am now, even though I'm generally sleeping reasonably. There seems no rhyme nor reason to any of this , there are people with insomnia still able to function, go to work through withdrawal. But then others like me who do sleep , but  very limited to what they can do. I don't personally  think it has much bearing on healing unless of course your only symptom is insomnia, then of course it would make a tremendous difference.

Thank you Leann. What you said makes sense as well. And that’s what I’m talking about…it’s all mixed up. Hard to wrap our minds around the concept. It just doesn’t make sense. For example you said when you were not sleeping well, you functioned better  :laugh: that’s crazy isn’t it? All of this is a mystery it seems.

How are you doing today sweetie?

Today so far I’ve had a window. I just came from outside. I was able to walk the breezeway a bit. Woooohooo! Thank God for small victories 🙏

Big hugs to you Leann. Thanks for weighing in with your experience. ❤️🌹

Yes it's crazy, you would think sleep would improve things, sadly not. Yet Shayna getting very little sleep but amazingly managing to work and cope with 3 kids, she is a tough cookie though! I would imagine it helps to sleep if you are in lot  physical pain though, as it relaxes the body.

Not great, mood has lifted bit tonight. Had really bad couple nights after stopping chamomile, still not sure what to do as it does help with sleep, everything trial and error!!.

Pleased you had a window you deserve it❤️🇬🇧

Awww so sweet! Thank you and you deserve a window too. Just give things some time Leann. I’m sure you’ll start to see better days real soon. That will let you know how good your decision was.  :thumbsup: Until then we are here for you. I’m glad your mood lifted a bit. That’s a real good sign.  :thumbsup:

Good morning lovely buddies! I pray that y’all slept well last night. I’ve been thinking about something….our bodies restores, repairs and regenerates when we sleep then why don’t we heal faster? Me personally, most nights I sleep pretty good. A bad night for me is when I get 4 hours. My usual is about 6-7 hours mostly solid sleep. I’m not bragging or saying this to make anyone feel bad if they’re still struggling with insomnia. Just wanted to say that. But I’ve been sleeping pretty well nearly my whole taper and duration of my almost 18 months of recovery. This has been a puzzling question I’ve had from the start. Perhaps nobody can answer it but it just doesn’t make sense. I’ve read posts of other buddies saying once they started sleeping decently they started healing faster. I’ve also read them saying if they have a bad night then the rest of the day they feel like crap. The last sentence has been the case for me as well. I feel awful all day if I don’t sleep well.

Hey LadyDen I often ponder this as well.  I sleep pretty darn well considering that the only reason I took Ambien was for difficulty with falling and staying asleep.  You would think that would be my main issue then, but it is the least of my symptoms.  I have so many physical manifestations of this drug injury, and I would have hoped I'd be healed by now considering I'm coming up on 17 months.  I believe now that our gene expression has been altered by the use of the drug, and hence our bodies have to revert back to our old pattern of gene expression.  That certainly doesn't happen overnight.  I'm not sure the body even knows how impacted it is.  It may think everything is just fine, and so it doesn't think there's anything to heal.  There are long stretches when I can't discern any healing.  I sometimes think I make my best progress after something like an immunization, or a viral illness, or a bad wave due to stress.  As if our body has to experience that it is still not fixed by not responding to stress appropriately.  So do we push ourselves?  That is always the question.

Hey LadyDen I often ponder this as well.  I sleep pretty darn well considering that the only reason I took Ambien was for difficulty with falling and staying asleep.  You would think that would be my main issue then, but it is the least of my symptoms.  I have so many physical manifestations of this drug injury, and I would have hoped I'd be healed by now considering I'm coming up on 17 months.  I believe now that our gene expression has been altered by the use of the drug, and hence our bodies have to revert back to our old pattern of gene expression.  That certainly doesn't happen overnight.  I'm not sure the body even knows how impacted it is.  It may think everything is just fine, and so it doesn't think there's anything to heal.  There are long stretches when I can't discern any healing.  I sometimes think I make my best progress after something like an immunization, or a viral illness, or a bad wave due to stress.  As if our body has to experience that it is still not fixed by not responding to stress appropriately.  So do we push ourselves?  That is always the question.

Hey everyone!

Hope you’re all doing ok.  I found this post interesting - I push myself - a lot.  I’m

Not sure if it helps or hinders but I keep pushing myself.  I’ve started not to dwell on the symptoms & that repeat to myself when I’m in a wave “I’m healing, I’m healing, I’m healing”.  Hope everyone has a good night :))

Wow this is my same exact experience! My symptoms are physical. I did have mental ones while in tolerance/ interdose and acute but they were short lived and mild. I also find that after I’m very stressed out then I make some progress. So weird! Just like you, I wonder if I should push myself more. But if I do, then how much? How often? Etc. I have the same questions. Then when we try to push ourselves…boom! We get setbacks.  :tickedoff: So what do we do?

Wow this is my same exact experience! My symptoms are physical. I did have mental ones while in tolerance/ interdose and acute but they were short lived and mild. I also find that after I’m very stressed out then I make some progress. So weird! Just like you, I wonder if I should push myself more. But if I do, then how much? How often? Etc. I have the same questions. Then when we try to push ourselves…boom! We get setbacks.  :tickedoff: So what do we do?

Good morning all.  LadyDen I do believe in pushing myself.  I try to get out everyday and do ‘something’. It could be just a walk around the block or sitting outside on the ground.  I find if I put my bare feet on the dirt or sand it really seems to help - I dont know why.  This week I have been pushing myself to eat more carbs to balance out my diet.  It has not been easy because all carbs really revv me up.  If we dont push our bodies, just enough, I dont feel the body will adapt.  There are times when I push too much and I dont take it as far the next day.  Anyway just my two cents.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. 

JB that’s the balance I’m still trying to figure out…how much to push and when. It’s great to hear others like yourself push a bit, it gives me the courage to push too. Thank you for posting this! I really need it. Sounds like it’s very beneficial to push a bit. Wow going outside helps you? That’s what I’m trying to do more now that my balance and walking has improved. I went outside yesterday to get sunlight for 3 minutes. It was lovely. I’m going to continue to push a bit as you said to let my body and brain adapt. To let it know that this is what I’m supposed to be doing. Thank you this has helped me!  :thumbsup: Outside here I come!

Good morning all.  LadyDen I do believe in pushing myself.  I try to get out everyday and do ‘something’. It could be just a walk around the block or sitting outside on the ground. I find if I put my bare feet on the dirt or sand it really seems to help - I dont know why.  This week I have been pushing myself to eat more carbs to balance out my diet.  It has not been easy because all carbs really revv me up.  If we dont push our bodies, just enough, I dont feel the body will adapt.  There are times when I push too much and I dont take it as far the next day.  Anyway just my two cents.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

You might be benefiting from "grounding" JBen. There has been a few studies carried out on mental health, chronic pain etc. This article has some links to studies that some may find interesting

https://www.healthline.com/health/grounding

Either way, glad it seems to help

Mare I’ve heard of the grounding thing. I’ve read about it. It is fascinating.

Happy Saturday everyone! What are you doing today? How are you feeling?

My morning dread is not that bad. Thank God! I’m planning on doing some art today for first time in 3 months. Even if I can’t complete it, I’ll still be happy. I won’t know unless I try. Right?

Yes LadyD and everyone I think we have to keep pushing forward! I used to get adrenaline surges when I shopped  in stores. I didn’t let it stop  me though. I just kept going bc I wanted to. And it gradually got better. I also have been exercise intolerant which is killing me. I tried here and there for the last few months and Thursday was the first time I could do a 30 min walk without and pain flare afterwards. I had a teeny bit of insomnia that night but no pain which I interpret as progress.

I have a grounding mat. Use it every night in bed. I think it definitely helps!!

Thank you Bess for your input. Do you get more intense waves from pushing? Do you get better healing progress too?

I’m

Not sure if I get more intense waves as I always push myself to do more & to get through the waves so

I’m not sure - or about getting better healing progress as I just have to keep going.  I have an unchecked lottery ticket from last night so if I’ve won I’ll be able to stop & stand still for a bit! 

Hope you’re doing ok lovely xxx

Bess I hope you win! Good luck. It’s funny you said that because I was just talking about winning the lottery with a friend of mine.I said “ I don’t have to win it all. I’m not greedy. Half the winning will do!”  :laugh:

Ok thanks for answering my question. I guess this far out it’s hard to tell because of being active. That makes sense.

Hey everyone I’m 18 months!!!! 🤗❤️🎉  Time to make big leaps in my healing!!!

Congrats LadyD!!!! 18 months is HUGE!  Lots of good healing right in front of you!

This past WE we traveled to visit my 95 year old mother-in-law and had to stay in a hotel.  Lots of socializing with family, strange bed, traveling hours in a car, etc etc.  Was really fine through it all and had a bit of restlessness and insomnia last night, but NO PAIN FLARES, so I think I may have turned a healing corner.  I'll only know in hindsight.

Big week coming up with preparations for Christmas - hoping to thread the needle and not do so much to land me with the benzo flu.  Happy healing to all.

Awesome Deanna! How great that you did all that with no pain flares! Yay!! Yes sounds like we both are turning corners. I’m so excited for us. I have a good feeling about this upcoming year. I can feel my healing happening. It’s so weird but great! I hope you enjoyed your family visit. You’re smart not to do too much so you can enjoy Xmas day. Happy holidays to you sweetie! May your Xmas and new year be merry and bright!

❄️❄️☃️❄️❄️❤️

Good morning everyone! Hope today is going well for you? If it’s not then just know this is temporary. Trust the recovery process. Know that your brain is beautifully made and it knows how to heal itself. Trust the windows!

Congrats LadyD!!!! 18 months is HUGE!  Lots of good healing right in front of you!

This past WE we traveled to visit my 95 year old mother-in-law and had to stay in a hotel.  Lots of socializing with family, strange bed, traveling hours in a car, etc etc.  Was really fine through it all and had a bit of restlessness and insomnia last night, but NO PAIN FLARES, so I think I may have turned a healing corner.  I'll only know in hindsight.

Big week coming up with preparations for Christmas - hoping to thread the needle and not do so much to land me with the benzo flu.  Happy healing to all.

This is awesome - so pleased for you, xx

Awesome Deanna! How great that you did all that with no pain flares! Yay!! Yes sounds like we both are turning corners. I’m so excited for us. I have a good feeling about this upcoming year. I can feel my healing happening. It’s so weird but great! I hope you enjoyed your family visit. You’re smart not to do too much so you can enjoy Xmas day. Happy holidays to you sweetie! May your Xmas and new year be merry and bright!

❄️❄️☃️❄️❄️❤️

Good morning everyone! Hope today is going well for you? If it’s not then just know this is temporary. Trust the recovery process. Know that your brain is beautifully made and it knows how to heal itself. Trust the windows!

Yippeeeee! Wonderful news bout turning a corner. Xx

Big hugs to you lovely Bess and to everyone! Are you all ready for Xmas?

I didn’t get outside yesterday because it was way too cold and windy made it colder. But today I’ll be bundling up to go outside anyway. I want to keep up with making progress. I must be careful not to get too cold. I’m so sensitive to temperature changes.

What’s on your agendas today? How are you feeling?

Good work LadyD!

I'm probably pushing things just a bit too much, had a mini pain flare at 5am this morning, BUT the thing that's weird is it was primarily in my right leg - a place where I've never ever had pain in all of three years of this nightmare.  Really wondering why an area of my nervous system which never had an issue is suddenly involved.  I used to focus on my right leg while in pain bc it was a neutral/OK feel while the rest of me was in despair.  Now it is joining in on the unwanted party, LOL.

Going to rest today and pare down my expectations of what I hope to accomplish this week.  Acceptance!!!

Healing hugs to all  :hug:

Hey LadyD.  Just seeing you are at 18 months. Congrats.  That is a huge milestone!  So glad to hear you continue to make progress.  That too is huge.  Keep going!

Good work LadyD!

I'm probably pushing things just a bit too much, had a mini pain flare at 5am this morning, BUT the thing that's weird is it was primarily in my right leg - a place where I've never ever had pain in all of three years of this nightmare.  Really wondering why an area of my nervous system which never had an issue is suddenly involved.  I used to focus on my right leg while in pain bc it was a neutral/OK feel while the rest of me was in despair.  Now it is joining in on the unwanted party, LOL.

Going to rest today and pare down my expectations of what I hope to accomplish this week.  Acceptance!!!

Healing hugs to all  :hug:

Deana I guess the right leg felt left out of the party. You know what? This isn’t unfamiliar in this recovery. Things stop and start. Get worse then mild. Pop in and out. Including symptoms we never had before. Sensitivities we never had etc. it’s such a crazy wild roller coaster. But we’ve been in this ride long enough. Time to shut this party down.  :thumbsup: I hope it goes away quickly for you. Hopefully it’s just paying a quick visit then leave. That’s a real party pooper for sure. Hang in there sweetheart. Under the circumstances we’re doing good. We have a lot of months under our belts. I feel this year will be our year! I’m sooooo excited! Good idea to rest up today. After my short walk, I’m going to do the same.

Love you 😘

Hey LadyD.  Just seeing you are at 18 months. Congrats.  That is a huge milestone!  So glad to hear you continue to make progress.  That too is huge.  Keep going!

Thank you my friend. Much appreciated! I also think you’re doing well even though it doesn’t feel that way. I know once you’re off the nasal spray and have your surgery, you’ll make a good leap in your healing. I can’t wait to read your posts about how much better you feel. It’s coming.  :thumbsup: