Is it dangerous to take ativan and valium on the same day?

[Ni...]

So for today things are going well. When I don't take n acetyl cysteine 300 mg I get severe withdrawal from the Ativan around 1 pm. The n acetyl cysteine is a God send. I don't take 600 mg because it gives chest tightness which causes anxiety.

Edit: now at 3 pm anxiety starts hitting me.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ni...]

• [Pa...]

• [Ca...]

Getting off of benzo's is a painful process for those of us who suffer from benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, there hasn't been anyone who has found a way to do this without suffering.  I feel you need to prepare yourself that this is going to be unpleasant no matter how you choose to become free. 

Getting off of benzo's is a painful process for those of us who suffer from benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, there hasn't been anyone who has found a way to do this without suffering.  I feel you need to prepare yourself that this is going to be unpleasant no matter how you choose to become free.

Thank you for the reassuring words. Today I'm feeling slight unrest at 1 pm, nothing that serious though. Still taking the n acetyl cysteine.

Will the unrest increase once I start tapering?

Yes, it most likely will and it will continue once you're off of the drug until you heal from it's effects, this is a long, grueling process.

Yes, it most likely will and it will continue once you're off of the drug until you heal from it's effects, this is a long, grueling process.

I moved home away from the clinic I was in, because they were basically screwing me over. I had come to the agreement with the pdoc that I would take 1 mg of Ativan in the morning and 7 mg of valium in the midday. For some reason I received 5 mg of valium in the evening too. They would bring the drugs to my room and wouldn't check if I would take the drugs. So I saved up all the 5 mg pills I received in the evening. They would bring my drugs to my room due to the Corona. When the Corona measures loosened, they went back to their old system where they would have the patient go to the nurse's office and have the drug taken there. When I went there they forced me to take the 5 mg, while I'm legally allowed to decline it. I said it was an error in the system, and I would iron this out with the pdoc in a new phone appointment (the pdoc would stay home because his internist said he had to because of the Corona and he didn't see me in 3 months) I was also planning on discussing the tapering strips with him during this appointment and moving my Ativan dose from 9 am to 12 am to avoid the withdrawal symptoms I would get in the midday. The next day this bitchy nurse said my appointment was canceled and I had a regular appointment in 2 weeks again. I told her about the error in the system and she said they called the pdoc and he said we agreed on the 5 mg of valium in the evening which is ridiculous! So she forced me to take it. That evening before I was supposed to get my drugs including the 5 mg of valium erroneously I called my mom and convinced her I could go back home, and so I went.

Now I'm back home and things feel good, I feel comfortable I can take the Ativan at 12 am and can discuss the tapering strips directly with my GP without having to wait for 2 weeks. I feel I can taper my benzos in peace here at home and I get healthy food as well, unlike the crap they served in the clinic, which were pre-packaged meals that you had to heat in the oven. I even feel like I can quit smoking here!

The nurse didn't even care enough that I didn't show up for my drugs to call me. She didn't call. This clinic was utter crap.

Thanks for letting us know how it went for you, I'm actually glad you got it out of your system as a posible fix for you, now you can do this on your own.  I think I mentioned to you one time that I've only seen one person say that a detox facility helped them get off of the drug, for most its a nightmare.  I'm so glad you got out of there before your body became adjusted to taking that extra 5 mgs of Valium at night, good grief, that was the wrong direction to go in.

Eating healthy, getting mild exercise and low stress all good ideas to help you through this.

Thanks for letting us know how it went for you, I'm actually glad you got it out of your system as a posible fix for you, now you can do this on your own.  I think I mentioned to you one time that I've only seen one person say that a detox facility helped them get off of the drug, for most its a nightmare.  I'm so glad you got out of there before your body became adjusted to taking that extra 5 mgs of Valium at night, good grief, that was the wrong direction to go in.

Eating healthy, getting mild exercise and low stress all good ideas to help you through this.

Due to my crazy brother I had to move to my grandpas house.. He didn't want me in the house.

Oh dear, I'm sorry, will your grandpa's house be conducive to healing?

Thank you, the thing is, I've had psychosis in the past, currently taking risperidone for that. I missed one dose 2 days ago when I left the clinic, and there seems to be this musty smell here which I think is mold but I'm not quite sure. I'm afraid the mold inhalation would give me a psychosis again..

Is there anyway you can get the house tested to be sure, old houses tend to have a musty odor so it might not actually be mold.  I'd hate to see you worry about this when it might not be an issue. 

There is no money to test it unfortunately, I woke up to very bad anxiety I normally never have this how can this be?

Hi Nik,

Can I just jump in and mention I had a period of having funny/odd smells during my taper... It was odd because I pretty well lost all my smell many years before any medication.. Its back to how it should be now, so perhaps im the first person to have something actually cured by withdrawal..??!!

I hope things work out where you are now and you can settle in to a productive taper that fits with you... I think you will find it much better than a detox place.. I did one ages ago, it was crazy.. -over medicated like you were too..

Strength and best wishes, -you will get this sorted out...

:)

Hi Nik,

Can I just jump in and mention I had a period of having funny/odd smells during my taper... It was odd because I pretty well lost all my smell many years before any medication.. Its back to how it should be now, so perhaps im the first person to have something actually cured by withdrawal..??!!

I hope things work out where you are now and you can settle in to a productive taper that fits with you... I think you will find it much better than a detox place.. I did one ages ago, it was crazy.. -over medicated like you were too..

Strength and best wishes, -you will get this sorted out...

:)

Hey thanks for the encouragement!

I'm back in the clinic, my grandpa didn't want me to stay at his house. I'm getting the Ativan at 12 am now and the 7 mg of valium at 5 pm and I'm no longer getting the 5 mg of valium in the evening. I talked to my pdoc.

I had more anxiety than normal today while on the Ativan, what could be the cause of this? Is the drug's effect wearing out?

It sounds like the clinic is reducing the Valium first, are they going to taper you off of it and then the Ativan?

It's the same psychiatric clinic I was in before, I'm going to stay here for quite a while until I find a new place where I can live with guidance.

I ate 3 sandwiches with jam and all of a sudden I was struck with terrible physical anxiety (nso nervous system overdrive) which remains until now. I took magnesium water yesterday could it be the withdrawal from that? Normally I can tolerate bread with jam without any problem. Or was it a bad Ativan pill?

I'm not a fan of supplements as you've probably noticed but if you eliminated them you might be better able to figure out what is causing what for the next little while.  Also, some members say that sugar revs up their symptoms and jam has a lot of sugar unless you used sugar free.

I doubt it was a bad Ativan pill.

I've eaten a jam sandwich again this morning and again I have nso, why is this happening?

Could it be the sugar? I wasn't sensitive to jam before, could this be diabetes?

Many members say they can't handle sugar while withdrawing from benzo's, you might want to search the forum, it's pretty common.