Is it dangerous to take ativan and valium on the same day?

[Ni...]

No need to involve your Dr then, if you're planning to titrate you won't need the smaller milligram pills. 

Yes, many who cut too rapidly or try to quit cold turkey will often have to go up in dose to stabilize.  I worry though that you're not grasping what stabilize means, it doesn't mean feeling good, it just means not feeling horrible.  You're never going to feel good until you're off the drug and recovered from the damage it's inflicted on you.

I would caution you against taking more Ativan, let the increased Valium take effect before you do.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ni...]

• [Pa...]

• [Ca...]

I'm currently taking 7 mg of valium in the midday, the 10 I took was an exception. Should I continue with 10 instead of 7?

Also, the 0.5mg gave me extra unrest for some reason. How can this come?

I'd try to achieve the lowest possible dose to stabilize on and if that means 7 mg of Valium, that's what I'd take.  Your goal is to be benzo free so if you can get by on the 7 mgs of Valium and do without the Ativan, that's what I'd do, especially if the Ativan didn't help

Hmm okay, I'll stick to the 1 mg of Ativan now. I'll stabilize on it then taper it off. But I think that because of valium's long life that jumping off it is harder than jumping from Ativan.. Is this correct? Why is tapering off valium better than tapering off Ativan?

Valium is considered the Cadillac of benzo's for tapering purposes for just that reason, the long half life.  It's supposed to provide a smoother taper without the interdose withdrawal concerns and because the pills come in such small doses, if doing dry cuts, it makes it much easier.

I didn't taper so I don't have personal experience but Professor Ashton wrote her manual using Valium in her studies because she did a lot of research of the drug and her subjects.  I can only point you to her expertise and experience.  The Ashton Manual

You can talk to the members in the  Valium Support Group, they have the experience you may be looking for to make your decision.

I'm currently stable right now on the 1 mg of Ativan and 7 mg of valium. I do get morning withdrawal symptoms and after taking the Ativan I get a tiny amount of unresty feeling on the chest.

Edit: this unresty feeling on the chest is really bothersome to me..

Today I took 10mg of valium instead of 1 mg of Ativan to see how I would do but I'm overall feeling more unresty...

Nikitis,

Dependence on and tolerance to benzo's produces withdrawal symptoms and the only way to get rid of those symptoms is to continually increase your dose or taper from it and heal from the wreckage.  You're going to experience symptoms no matter what until you taper from these drugs.  I sometimes feel you think that if you can only get the right combination of Valium and Ativan you're going to feel good, you're not unless you take massive amounts and that will only work until you grow tolerant to that massive dose.

Let us know what your hope is, do you want to taper from these drugs or find the right combination to be able to stay on them?  This is your choice and we'll support you, but it would help to know what you hope for. 

Pamster

I want to taper off the drugs. But I feel unstable on 1 mg of Ativan, and even on 2 mg of Ativan I feel unstable. What should I do? I feel so stupid I should have never done that cold turkey, it made the drugs less effective for some reason.

At this point most members have decided that since they're miserable on the drug they may as well taper from it.  I'd suggest tapering off of the Ativan and once you're off of that then begin to taper from the Valium.

I took lots of n acetyl cysteine and it made the drug work again! I'm now stable on 1 mg of Ativan.

Okay good, I guess it's time to start your taper from the Ativan, I can't remember, are your pills 1 mg?

I've heard about tapering strips, I don't think they offer them in the US, so you're lucky.  I'm glad you're eliminating the Ativan first, good choice.  :thumbsup:

It sounds like a good place to start and so convenient, how many of each reduced dose are you supplied, will you be able to hold longer if you feel unwell?

I've decided to go to an addiction clinic, where they will hopefully help me with my post cold turkey problem. It's a different clinic than the one I first wanted to go, this one tailors the treatment for the needs of the patient.

Today at 1 pm I started to feel withdrawal from the Ativan, this feeling stayed until 6 pm when the Valium started working.

It sounds like a good place to start and so convenient, how many of each reduced dose are you supplied, will you be able to hold longer if you feel unwell?

Every day I get a reduction in 0.05 mg of Ativan. There will be stabilization strips which I will be able to use to hold. I'm gonna use the tapering strips along with going to the clinic.