Is it dangerous to take ativan and valium on the same day?

[Ni...]

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ni...]

• [Pa...]

• [Ca...]

I'm always happy to hear when members go a little slower, when we rush to get off the drug we usually just increase our pain not our recovery.

I'm making the cut to 0.75mg this sunday. Do I have to expect any major withdrawal symptoms once I completely cut this Ativan out?

I'm glad you asked, too many don't realize healing must continue once you're off of the drug.  Throughout your taper, the purpose is to reduce the drug allowing the brain to repair the pathways the drug disrupted, and once you're off the drug, the repair continues.  Too many people, medical practitioners included think that once the drug is out of your system then you are good to go, this isn't the case for us.  It takes time for healing to take place, and we don't know how long that will be, we're all so different.

Just try to accept that any pain you're feeling is a sign of healing and it takes what it takes.

Will do. Was feeling a bit unresty today, currently staying at home this weekend going back to the clinic today.

Will the unresty feeling increase once I lower my Ativan dosage?

Why are you going to the clinic?

Yes, more reductions will mean more unrest.  Have you read chapter 3 of  The Ashton Manual, it lists all of our symptoms and why we feel them.  I found it comforting to know what I was feeling was 'normal'.

I live in the clinic. It's a psychiatric hospital with your own apartment..

I'm having serious anxiety today, I took vitamin C 1000 mg acerola Berry lozinges this morning, could it have something to do with it?

I really felt horrible at 4 pm, now that I got my Valium I feel more at peace. At 4 pm I had racing thoughts a little bit, heart palpitations and overall feeling of unrestiness..

I'm thinking of making the jump to 5 mg of valium in the morning and cutting out the 5 mg of valium in the midday. So I won't have to go through this horrible Ativan withdrawal.. Would that be a smart idea? I'm at a loss here, I predicted I would react to the quarter lowering of Ativan but not that it would be this bad. Hopefully tommorow things will be better..

I don't know if taking supplements is a good idea at the moment, some members have reported unpleasant reactions because our central nervous system is so sensitive right now.  You can read what others have to say about the various things they reach for on the Alternative Therapies & Supplements board.

I've seen members dose short acting drugs like Ativan and Xanax several times a day, one of our administrators would eat crumbs of her Xanax throughout the day, what do you think?

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful, I know it's difficult to know what to do when everything hurts.

Thank you for the support. I've had no real symptoms of unrestiness today thank God, I did feel a bit weird bodily, like something wasn't right. When walking I had a bit of unrestiness but when outside it went away. I'm thinking of just following the protocol of my doctor going to 0.25mg of Ativan and then cutting it out completely, replacing it with 5 mg of valium.

Would this be doable?

Edit I'm thinking of switching the Ativan with Valium so I will be on

5 mg of valium in the morning

5 mg of valium in the midday

Would this be a better idea than tapering off the Ativan? (which has horrible withdrawal)

This is your taper, and you know your body and your symptoms, so I'm sure whatever you decide will be what is right for you.  Just be aware that Ativan is short acting and Valium is long, so it may take awhile for your body to recognize the Valium when you withdraw the Ativan.

I'm glad to hear some of the symptoms lessened for you, this is common, they tend to wax and wane, some leaving, others taking their place.  This is what makes this process so difficult, we never know from one day to the next how we're going to feel. 

Had no unrestiness today but had a headache but that could be due to the filter cigars I smoked as a substitute for my cigarettes.

Good the unrestiness gave you a break, that headache doesn't sound good though, I think I could get a headache if I smoked cigars too, not to mention a sore throat.  ::)

Today had virtually no anxiety, only in the morning before my Ativan dose. In the morning I had racing thoughts, uncontrollable thoughts and music again in my head. Also felt a spasm in my heart or heart area which woke me up. Was very susceptible to any type of shocking moment, be it only me waking up was enough to cause this shocking moment. Felt very disturbed for the few hours before my Ativan dose. I have this every morning.

Due to the Corona virus I might not be able to make an appointment with my psychiatrist because they want as few appointments as possible.. I'm gonna ask if I can phone him.

What is your dose now?

Is it the virus that's making you anxious about seeing your Dr, if it is, you'd think they would work with you on doing it via another method.

No it's not the virus, it's withdrawal anxiety that suddenly came on me. Out of nowhere it came, it's physiologically. Now taking my Valium in a few minutes hopefully the remainder of the anxiety will go away. It has faded away a bit. My appointment has been moved to next Tuesday.. Sigh.

I drank lemonade on an empty stomach whilst taking my Valium and I noticed I had burped up in my throat stomach acid.

Would the stomach acid destroy the valium that I took?

Ouch, an acidic drink on an empty stomach, I'll bet that burp burned.  I wouldn't think it would destroy the Valium, so don't worry about that.  Your symptoms sound really unpleasant, but typical.  Can you find ways to distract yourself, that was the best tool I had to help me get through the bad times.

Yeah I can find some distraction through hypnosis on youtube really helps a lot and occasionally listening to music. Music tends to get stuck in my head though..

Today so far so good no anxiety yet. Had some raw garlic for the Corona virus prevention at the same time I took my Ativan, could the garlic have destroyed the Ativan?

Hypnosis sounds great but I agree with you about the music, I had a hard time listening to it for the same reason, it would get stuck plus my ears were so sensitive, any noise was tough.

I don't think the garlic would interact with the Ativan but I also don't know anything about corona virus prevention using raw garlic.  I have seen some members mention some foods bothering them and garlic was one. 

I'd avoid trying any new supplements or remedies while you're tapering, your central nervous system if very sensitive right now, best not to rock the boat.

I moved to 2.5 mg of valium in the morning and 5 mg of valium in the evening.. Hopefully the cross over will go well.