Jordan Peterson's year of 'absolute hell': Professor forced to retreat....

[co...]

I am very happy about his progress but does anybody think something's not quite right here?

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I have suffered with the best of them but I was never even really close to being unable to walk or leave the house.

I remember going to a crowded outdoor concert at a bar in the middle of a large city when I was in acute or shortly after. It was a strange experience, I had a "concussed" feeling but I walked there and back from my condo which was probably a solid mile.

Well, you also weren't in a medically induced coma, ICU, "near death several times" and flown to Russia out of despair. Mikhaila claims he wasn't able to sit up and wasn't able to write. I am assuming that means he couldn't walk either. So JP definitely was hit by a wd harder than you. That's why I'm shocked he's recovered enough to walk around Moscow so quickly. I was in an ICU because of withdrawal so I was assuming his withdrawal was about the same as mine but judging by the pictures from Moscow either it wasn't nearly as severe as Mikhaila claims or they've given him some GABA drugs. Be that phenibut or Russian benzos (they have their own formulas, created for Brezhnev), but something had to help him get up so quickly.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Fl...]

• [id...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I still want to hear directly from JP. I'd like to hear him tell his story, and I'd like to know how he's doing. It's good that he's up and out and moving, though. I'm housebound, dizzy, using a walker and barely functioning. I'd be thrilled to be up and out and moving like that.

I agree, Lapis. I want to hear from him. I used a walker and even a wheelchair for 2 or 3 years on and off (tolerance, taper, withdrawal) but definitely had to hold on to a wall while walking for about 10 months or so after stopping.

As of now the message that people might get from Mikhaila's limited Instagram posts:

-- American doctors are bad because they don't rip you off Klonopin right away (taper didn't work for JP).

-- Go to Russia and stop Klonopin cold turkey ("Russian doctors had the guts to get the drug out of his system").

-- Walk around Moscow in a month after Klonopin cold turkey.

I don't think that's a typical story here on BenzoBuddies so at the moment Mikhaila is hurting our cause a little bit.

Is that the only picture of him? If so, I don't see him walking, talking or doing much of anything except being somewhat supported by his daughter in a somewhat standing position. Are those leg braces under his blue jeans which are askew?

Is that the only picture of him? If so, I don't see him walking, talking or doing much of anything except being somewhat supported by his daughter in a somewhat standing position. Are those leg braces under his blue jeans which are askew?

There's also a picture of him in a Russian restaurant.

For me, being in any public setting or outside would have been impossible in 1-2 months post jump (let alone cold turkey). Also, the Red Square is huge so he must have gotten in the middle of it somehow. I doubt Mikhaila could have carried him there. Maybe there's a wheelchair that we don't see. But that's exactly my point. The picture makes you assume he's walking around Moscow. If he uses a wheelchair it'd be more honest to show it if we hope that he will become a benzo activist.

Well, you also weren't in a medically induced coma, ICU, "near death several times" and flown to Russia out of despair.

Three months ago.

I doubt it takes that long to get out and about for a couple of hours after you have had open heart surgery.

Maybe there was a wheelchair behind the camera? So?

I wouldn't read too much into anything at this point.

I have to say, the very little I have read from the numerous Jordan Peterson threads at BB seem to be chock-block full of pointless speculation. I suggest that we step back and just let it unfold. Yes, he maybe a 'celebrity', but he is still just one man and we know little of his history of benzodiazepine use, co-morbid conditions, or his true situation now. And irrespective of his celebrity status, he has apparent serious medical and personal problems and he (like anyone else) is deserving of some privacy and respect.

To save any confusion about my motives for writing the above: I am not a Peterson fan-boy.

I have to say, the very little I have read from the numerous Jordan Peterson threads at BB seem to be chock-block full of pointless speculation. I suggest that we step back and just let it unfold. Yes, he maybe a 'celebrity', but he is still just one man and we know little of his history of benzodiazepine use, co-morbid conditions, or his true situation now. And irrespective of his celebrity status, he has apparent serious medical and personal problems and he (like anyone else) is deserving of some privacy and respect.

To save any confusion about my motives for writing the above: I am not a Peterson fan-boy.

“One of the things that indicates is that it’s almost impossible to provide people with enough protection so that they feel safe to speak. OK, so we’ll address that directly. It is not safe to speak. It never will be. But the thing you’ve got to keep in mind is that it’s even less safe not to speak." -- Jordan Peterson

Well my question now is: Is he polydrugged. Has he used other meds to deal with this. He has had a liberal view of the issue in the past. I didn't want to polydrug, but I did it to keep my job and it took 3 years after benzos to deal with that. And I still got two psych pharm items on my agenda.

Or he might be off of them altogether based on his experiences and has had some change in viewpoint. 

Well my question now is: Is he polydrugged. Has he used other meds to deal with this. He has had a liberal view of the issue in the past. I didn't want to polydrug, but I did it to keep my job and it took 3 years after benzos to deal with that. And I still got two psych pharm items on my agenda.

Or he might be off of them altogether based on his experiences and has had some change in viewpoint.

According to Mikhaila's interviews, he's still very much polydrugged. He's on anti-psychotics and on anti-convulsants. (once again, according to what Mikhaila tells the press) So I'm afraid his journey is far from being over.

According to Mikhaila's interviews, he's still very much polydrugged. He's on anti-psychotics and on anti-convulsants. (once again, according to what Mikhaila tells the press) So I'm afraid his journey is far from being over.

I had not heard her say that he was on anti-psychotics, only anti-convulsants.

I had not heard her say that he was on anti-psychotics, only anti-convulsants.

Maybe I inferred that from him having akathisia as a side effect of anti-psychotics. Or maybe she said they tried those in the American rehab he went to "detox off of Klonopin."

Thank you for your kind words ideallifevision. :)

No, they are not activists. As I had mentioned, my friends are politically neutral. We just desire to live our lives  in peace like our neighbors.

U.N. Decries Russia Jailing of Dane

Oh my goodness, that's so scary!

It is very sad what is/has been going on there. Hopefully things will soon change, but not likely from everything I've read.

If things continue to deteriorate at the rate that they currently are......well, let's just say, it will be interesting to see where it leads.

Back to JP. Apparently his daughter recently said "Bye Moscow" and "Hello Florida". If he has returned to this side of the earth....I hope his flight went well. Florida would be a better place to be at than in Moscow, while in a benzoland state.

I know we should give him his space as Colin suggested.....but it is hard to ignore him, since he definitely is an interesting benzo case.

I'm curious to know what he is thinking. ???

The only way I was able to feel like I was taken serious as to the magnitude of devastation that these drugs caused, was when I began speaking to others who had gone through the same horrible experience. :sick:

“One of the things that indicates is that it’s almost impossible to provide people with enough protection so that they feel safe to speak. OK, so we’ll address that directly. It is not safe to speak. It never will be. But the thing you’ve got to keep in mind is that it’s even less safe not to speak." -- Jordan Peterson

What's your point? It seems like the quote you used was originally made in a different context.

I agree with Colin whole-heartedly.  We need to support the guy, irrespective of his celebrity status, his views, etc.  I don't know much about his personal views, etc and don't care to.  What I do know is that he is a suffering human being, injured by these meds like many of us have been.  We NEVER get the full picture from a few pictures, posts, or interviews from family members.  But I'm following his FB posts and it seems he is getting the dangers of psych drugs now, like many of us.  One of his later posts was, "What terrible danger lurks in Grandma's medicine cabinet - or yours?" and he has that with the BIC's commentary on his situation.  I also watched a Russian interview with his daughter and it seems like they are getting it.  To me, even if he's standing in this photo, he looks ill and his daughter is holding on to him.  Remember, no two tapers or withdrawals alike, no two recoveries alike.  It's disturbing to me to see others tearing him down here, one site where people should NOT be bashing him.

It's disturbing to me to see others tearing him down here, one site where people should NOT be bashing him.

Agreed. It’s amazing to see people lose their humanity over beliefs.

It's disturbing to me to see others tearing him down here, one site where people should NOT be bashing him.

It's this misguided idea that making anti or pro comments on the internet is somehow participating in some noble fight or is actually making a difference somehow.  It's neither.  It's just filling server space in some closet somewhere in the desert. 

He and his family are being rather public about this, so apparently, they want their story told. Hopefully, their story will help others.

This is true. And he is, undoubtedly, a public figure. But it is the endless speculation with witch I take issue. So, although I am not entirely happy with the trust of some of the comment to this thread, (within reasonable bounds) my comments should not be construed as some kind of moderation position. Rather, they are a personal perspective.

I follow Richard Grannon who's one of my favorite YouTubers. Two hours ago he uploaded a video and was asked about JP and said "I hope he recovers soon and continues with his work". This is going to raise awareness which is good, but as this is such a different drug because it causes changes in the brain that don't dissapear in two months, that's the part that the world is unaware of. If JP finally stabilizes and decides to talk about the nature of this physical dependence it would help us all.

I follow Richard Grannon who's one of my favorite YouTubers. Two hours ago he uploaded a video and was asked about JP and said "I hope he recovers soon and continues with his work". This is going to raise awareness which is good, but as this is such a different drug because it causes changes in the brain that don't dissapear in two months, that's the part that the world is unaware of. If JP finally stabilizes and decides to talk about the nature of this physical dependence it would help us all.

In her Youtube video, Mikhaila said the next "family update" video would come from her dad. No date was mentioned, but sooner rather than later would be good, if only to minimize speculation. They've started a story and grabbed media and public attention in so doing.

Some people also make assumptions about other people's motives. Sometimes I see an innocent comment that gets some twisted interpretation and the poster gets attacked.

I hope we can have a conversation without endlessly shaming each other and implying that we are better than the person we are shaming.

This is true. And he is, undoubtedly, a public figure. But it is the endless speculation with witch I take issue.

I agree that it doesn't serve much of a purpose to endlessly speculate, but this really IS a big deal, or at least it has the potential to be for the benzo cause as a whole so given the murkiness of the details it really isn't a surprise that BB's would engage in speculation.

It's this misguided idea that making anti or pro comments on the internet is somehow participating in some noble fight or is actually making a difference somehow.  It's neither.  It's just filling server space in some closet somewhere in the desert.

For better or worse the internet is a primary source of news and information for people now and it's going to play an even bigger role in information dissemination as time goes on. One little comment on it's own might not have a discernible impact but millions of them absolutely make a difference.

This is true. And he is, undoubtedly, a public figure. But it is the endless speculation with witch I take issue.

I agree that it doesn't serve much of a purpose to endlessly speculate, but this really IS a big deal, or at least it has the potential to be for the benzo cause as a whole so given the murkiness of the details it really isn't a surprise that BB's would engage in speculation.

Absolutely, FG. I agree.