Gabapentin or Mirtazapine During Taper?

[tr...]

RaquelRocks---

How are you doing your liquid titration of clonazepam what's your method or mixture.  Did you use a compound pharmacy if so what's the mixture.

mL's and ingredients etc.

thanks for your help

I am almost finished.  I've been doing a liquid taper (I make my own) for two years.  It went pretty smooth until recently and now I'm starting to get some side effects.  I can get back to you later with the method I used to taper.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ra...]

• [Th...]

• [Ne...]

• [be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a novel idea....why reach for any Rx drug for sleep?  Why ask Gabapentin or Mirtazapine?  Why not just let your body learn to sleep on it's own?  Lack of sleep will not kill you...not even close.  I survived for months on very little sleep (5-10 hours per week).  I now sleep 6-8 hours every night.  I literally tried everything Rx and and natural for sleep.  Nothing worked for more than a day or 2.  I toughed it out and sleep returned on its own and I started taking Benzos for some sleep issues.  I know lack of sleep sucks and is a form of "torture," but I survived along with many, many others on this forum and you can too!

Did you have to work to keep a roof over your head? Did you have to work with no other choice? I have tried the natural approach with no meds other than a tiny amount of Clonazepam now for several months and now have sleep deprivation.  There are MANY studies that state as fact that sleep deprivation is bad for your health and can even contribute to more medical issues if you are older or not a healthy person.  There's too much mis-information here and what works for one may not work for another.  Why don't we all just make suggestions and allow each other the freedom to choose whatever works for us without feeling guilty. I'm really glad that you were able to go days on end with no sleep but some of us cannot.  I would rather take something to help me then be homeless on the street because I could not get or keep a job because of sleep deprivation or another medical problem.  ::)

Yes, I worked through my entire WD and took sick days as needed.  I had FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) approved, but never used it.  I am not saying that to shame you or anyone else or make anyone feel guilty.  You have to do what is best for you, but IMO putting more Rx drugs in your body that created the issues in the first place makes no sense.  It's like dumping gasoline on a fire you want to put out!  I don't think anyone has insomnia from a lack of a Benzo in their blood or any other Rx drug that may help you sleep.  I completely disagree with your "mis-information" of the MANY studies that show a lack of sleep causes this or that... I apologize if the previous post offended you.

It didn't offend me at all but I HAVE TO SLEEP. I'm different than you or anyone else on this forum. I was miserable and sleep deprived and my kids were worried about me ... my friends were concerned. For me Remeron or a sleep aid is not putting gas on a fire. For me Remeron or anything that helps in this Benzo taper is smart and sane because going without sleep for weeks, getting sick from sleep deprivation and laying in bed atrophying is very dumb, unwise and bad for ones health.  I tried it without meds.... I was literally dying.  Better to be alive with another drug in my system then dead and trying to be the hero... because that's prideful and stupid in my eyes.  I chose to live and so far Remeron is helping.  To each his own.  :thumbsup:

Here's a novel idea....why reach for any Rx drug for sleep?  Why ask Gabapentin or Mirtazapine?  Why not just let your body learn to sleep on it's own?  Lack of sleep will not kill you...not even close.  I survived for months on very little sleep (5-10 hours per week).  I now sleep 6-8 hours every night.  I literally tried everything Rx and and natural for sleep.  Nothing worked for more than a day or 2.  I toughed it out and sleep returned on its own and I started taking Benzos for some sleep issues.  I know lack of sleep sucks and is a form of "torture," but I survived along with many, many others on this forum and you can too!

Did you have to work to keep a roof over your head? Did you have to work with no other choice? I have tried the natural approach with no meds other than a tiny amount of Clonazepam now for several months and now have sleep deprivation.  There are MANY studies that state as fact that sleep deprivation is bad for your health and can even contribute to more medical issues if you are older or not a healthy person.  There's too much mis-information here and what works for one may not work for another.  Why don't we all just make suggestions and allow each other the freedom to choose whatever works for us without feeling guilty. I'm really glad that you were able to go days on end with no sleep but some of us cannot.  I would rather take something to help me then be homeless on the street because I could not get or keep a job because of sleep deprivation or another medical problem.  ::)

Raquel rocks I'm in your shoes and I think the same.

Raquel rocks I'm in your shoes and I think the same.

Blessings and peace to you.  Thank you!  :thumbsup::smitten:

Same here. If I cannot sleep I cannot work and hence can’t pay my bills. I don’t need anyone here trying to tell me what to do. Period.

No one is "telling" anyone what to do...period.  It's advice from a person that healed and made it to the other side...take it or leave it!

No one is "telling" anyone what to do...period.  It's advice from a person that healed and made it to the other side...take it or leave it!

But you insist that getting eight hours of sleep is a myth. That imo, in prescriptive writing. On this forum, it’s not so much what you say, but how you say it. Thanks.

8 hours per night is a myth in the sense that it's not "settled science."  Many can work and live a "normal" life on much less.  Many function fine on 5, 6, or 7 hours per night.  It's a myth that if you don't get 8 hours something bad will happen to you.  There is no evidence for that at all.  Sure, most feel very refreshed when they get 7 or 8 hours of sleep, but that doesn't mean you need that much or else?  No one is going to get 8 hours per night during WD, if insomnia is one of their WD symptoms, even while taking other Rx drugs for sleep?  But you also insist on 8 hours is required or else...which is also prescriptive writing is it not?  Plus my entire purpose and intent is to give people hope during WD induced insomnia.  I am not trying to form a club of non-sleepers and would be all for everyone getting 8 or more hours every night.  I am trying to let people know that nothing bad will happen to them from WD induced insomnia, even if it lasts for a few years or longer than they would like it to last.

Gorica Micic, sleep expert writes:

"Studies show adequate sleep is essential for our overall health and well-being. However, as with nearly every other human variable (such as height, where some of us are taller and others shorter), there are large individual differences in how much sleep each person needs.

Most adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep, but there is a smaller percentage who need less or more sleep. The grand average of these different individual needs is eight hours, hence this number is often incorrectly portrayed as ‘essential.’

The best indicator of whether you’re getting enough sleep is how you feel during the day. If you feel sleepy, then you may need more sleep. Our sleep needs also declines with age, so newborn infants may need between 12 and 18 hours of sleep whereas older adults may only need six or seven hours."

Hailey Meaklim, psychologist writes:

"The saying that everybody needs eight hours of sleep is associated with the industrial revolution—eight hours labor, eight hours recreation, eight hours rest. Genetics, age, medical conditions, environmental, and behavioral factors determine how much sleep you need. Some people require more than eight hours and some less.

Certain people function well on less than six hours, and can actually experience insomnia when aiming for eight hours every night."

Stephanie Centofanti, psychologist writes:

"We often hear eight hours as being the magical number to strive for, but in fact, sleep need varies greatly between individuals. Most adults need seven to nine hours of sleep, but as little as six hours may be enough for some people, and up to ten hours may be appropriate for other people."

Same here. If I cannot sleep I cannot work and hence can’t pay my bills. I don’t need anyone here trying to tell me what to do. Period.

No you don't... we all need support, encouragement and help when a question is asked.  Nobody is the same and truthfully we all react to meds, sleep deprivation and side effects differently.  Bottom line... you and I know our bodies better than anyone else and since we have to walk our own journey we have to sometimes make choices that might not be popular or liked by others but we shouldn't be judged or scolded because of what we choose to do for our own health.  I wish this board was a safe place but oftentimes it's not.  I truly wish you the very best in your own personal journal with these meds.  And I hope that you have a lot of encouragement and success as you follow your path to the goal that you desire!  :thumbsup::smitten:

8 hours per night is a myth in the sense that it's not "settled science."  Many can work and live a "normal" life on much less.  Many function fine on 5, 6, or 7 hours per night.  It's a myth that if you don't get 8 hours something bad will happen to you.  There is no evidence for that at all.  Sure, most feel very refreshed when they get 7 or 8 hours of sleep, but that doesn't mean you need that much or else?  No one is going to get 8 hours per night during WD, if insomnia is one of their WD symptoms, even while taking other Rx drugs for sleep?  But you also insist on 8 hours is required or else...which is also prescriptive writing is it not?  Plus my entire purpose and intent is to give people hope during WD induced insomnia.  I am not trying to form a club of non-sleepers and would be all for everyone getting 8 or more hours every night.  I am trying to let people know that nothing bad will happen to them from WD induced insomnia, even if it lasts for a few years or longer than they would like it to last.

"Studies show adequate sleep is essential for our overall health and well-being. However, as with nearly every other human variable (such as height, where some of us are taller and others shorter), there are large individual differences in how much sleep each person needs.

Most adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep, but there is a smaller percentage who need less or more sleep. The grand average of these different individual needs is eight hours, hence this number is often incorrectly portrayed as ‘essential.’

The best indicator of whether you’re getting enough sleep is how you feel during the day. If you feel sleepy, then you may need more sleep. Our sleep needs also declines with age, so newborn infants may need between 12 and 18 hours of sleep whereas older adults may only need six or seven hours."

"The saying that everybody needs eight hours of sleep is associated with the industrial revolution—eight hours labor, eight hours recreation, eight hours rest. Genetics, age, medical conditions, environmental, and behavioral factors determine how much sleep you need. Some people require more than eight hours and some less.

Certain people function well on less than six hours, and can actually experience insomnia when aiming for eight hours every night."

"We often hear eight hours as being the magical number to strive for, but in fact, sleep need varies greatly between individuals. Most adults need seven to nine hours of sleep, but as little as six hours may be enough for some people, and up to ten hours may be appropriate for other people."

Your tone sounds REALLY rude to me.  You say in your reply "many" over and over again.  Well guess what "many" is not everyone and there are people outside of the "many" that get sleep deprived which is a very real medical diagnosis.  Not sure where you are getting your info from but it's inaccurate.  Studies have shown that some people CANNOT function on less than 8-7 hours of sleep.  You know why? Because some people are light sleepers while others are heavy sleepers.  Everyone sleeps differently and many factors go into what our individual sleep needs are.  There is no way to throw every person in a box and tell them that lack of sleep is not harmful.  You need to educate yourself about sleep and the lack of it because you are not correct on what you say.  I've worked in a hospital and I've seen the effects of sleep deprivation so don't tell people that going without sleep is not dangerous... because it is.  If you are one of the lucky ones that can go days without sleep then great!! Happy for you... but many people cannot and what they choose to do about it is really their decision.  They should not be judged for it. ;)  :thumbsup:

Your tone sounds REALLY rude to me.  You say in your reply "many" over and over again.  Well guess what "many" is not everyone and there are people outside of the "many" that get sleep deprived which is a very real medical diagnosis.  Not sure where you are getting your info from but it's inaccurate.  Studies have shown that some people CANNOT function on less than 8-7 hours of sleep.  You know why? Because some people are light sleepers while others are heavy sleepers.  Everyone sleeps differently and many factors go into what our individual sleep needs are.  There is no way to throw every person in a box and tell them that lack of sleep is not harmful.  You need to educate yourself about sleep and the lack of it because you are not correct on what you say.  I've worked in a hospital and I've seen the effects of sleep deprivation so don't tell people that going without sleep is not dangerous... because it is.  If you are one of the lucky ones that can go days without sleep then great!! Happy for you... but many people cannot and what they choose to do about it is really their decision.  They should not be judged for it. ;)  :thumbsup:

Not sure how you can tell if a post is rude or not without specific name calling or words that are generally accepted as being rude?  If you look up the word many, you will see that it doesn't mean everyone and in the quotes that I posted it says that individual differences play a significant role in how much sleep a person needs. I never said this applies to everyone and in fact said "many" (not ALL) people can function on 5, 6, or 7 hours but some need more than 8.  The so called "sleep" you get from Rx drugs is not restorative sleep anyway!  I never denied that some people function better on 7 or 8 or more hours and the quotes I posted support that same thing.  My sources are not inaccurate.  The fact that worked in a hospital proves nothing.  How many doctors understand or even acknowledge Benzo WD and they all work in hospitals or clinics?  I did educate myself on sleep as it was my worst symptom.  I spent hundreds of hours researching it, including sleep cycles, theories on why we sleep, what sleep does for the body, etc.  I had two sleep studies done and all they look for is apnea.  I lived through severe sleep deprivation and it's only dangerous operating a vehicle or using tools or equipment that could potentially harm or kill you.  I was never sleepy enough to fall asleep behind the wheel even after days of no perceived sleep and others on this forum said the same thing.  If you understood how GABA and Glutamate work, you would know that most people that get WD induced insomnia are too wired to get sleepy even after going days without any perceivable sleep.  I am not talking about people that have insomnia with no known cause.

I am not judging anyone, only providing factual information.  I endured going days without sleep many times during my WD and I wasn't "happy" about any part of it.  If you would carefully read my posts and slow down a bit and take the time to clearly see what I am saying instead of "judging" me, you would realize that I am trying to give people hope that they can make it through withdrawal insomnia (that doesn't last forever) even if they get very little or no sleep for extended periods of time.  Why scare people into reaching for another Rx drug for sleep by telling them if they don't get 8 hours they'll get sick or something bad will happen to them during WD?  That's simply not true.

People have to decide what is best for them and if they need to reach for something to sleep with, that is their call.  I never judged or put anyone down by saying why not take anything?  If they can't handle not taking anything, then they need to do what is right for them.  But I know from my experience and from the experience of dozens of other people that made it through WD induced insomnia, that eventually their is a price to pay for taking Rx drugs and it demands payment without mercy.

If you and others believe it is best for you to reach for drugs to try to ensure 8 hours per night during WD induced insomnia, then go for it.  No shame, no judgment.  I wish you all well and hope you get sleep!

The way, I'm interested in your theories, in case I'm ever forced to CT. After falling in acute wd I was sleeping nothing, but that didn't scare me half as much as the SI. I actually started to plan it. That's when I started gabapentin and updosed. I couldn't risk it.

Not sure how you can tell if a post is rude or not without specific name calling or words that are generally accepted as being rude?  If you look up the word many, you will see that it doesn't mean everyone and in the quotes that I posted it says that individual differences play a significant role in how much sleep a person needs. I never said this applies to everyone and in fact said "many" (not ALL) people can function on 5, 6, or 7 hours but some need more than 8.  The so called "sleep" you get from Rx drugs is not restorative sleep anyway!  I never denied that some people function better on 7 or 8 or more hours and the quotes I posted support that same thing.  My sources are not inaccurate.  The fact that worked in a hospital proves nothing.  How many doctors understand or even acknowledge Benzo WD and they all work in hospitals or clinics?  I did educate myself on sleep as it was my worst symptom.  I spent hundreds of hours researching it, including sleep cycles, theories on why we sleep, what sleep does for the body, etc.  I had two sleep studies done and all they look for is apnea.  I lived through severe sleep deprivation and it's only dangerous operating a vehicle or using tools or equipment that could potentially harm or kill you.  I was never sleepy enough to fall asleep behind the wheel even after days of no perceived sleep and others on this forum said the same thing.  If you understood how GABA and Glutamate work, you would know that most people that get WD induced insomnia are too wired to get sleepy even after going days without any perceivable sleep.  I am not talking about people that have insomnia with no known cause.

I am not judging anyone, only providing factual information.  I endured going days without sleep many times during my WD and I wasn't "happy" about any part of it.  If you would carefully read my posts and slow down a bit and take the time to clearly see what I am saying instead of "judging" me, you would realize that I am trying to give people hope that they can make it through withdrawal insomnia (that doesn't last forever) even if they get very little or no sleep for extended periods of time.  Why scare people into reaching for another Rx drug for sleep by telling them if they don't get 8 hours they'll get sick or something bad will happen to them during WD?  That's simply not true.

People have to decide what is best for them and if they need to reach for something to sleep with, that is their call.  I never judged or put anyone down by saying why not take anything?  If they can't handle not taking anything, then they need to do what is right for them.  But I know from my experience and from the experience of dozens of other people that made it through WD induced insomnia, that eventually their is a price to pay for taking Rx drugs and it demands payment without mercy.

If you and others believe it is best for you to reach for drugs to try to ensure 8 hours per night during WD induced insomnia, then go for it.  No shame, no judgment.  I wish you all well and hope you get sleep!

Reach for drugs? Haha... you make that sound like it's so easy to take a med for some.  Like we have a medicine cabinet full of different meds at our disposal.  Let me tell you something.  If you look at my signature you will notice that I have been through a lot of bad situations with different meds. Being a sexual assault survivor since the beginning of my twenties and being diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety and panic disorder has made it so most Dr's will not take a no when I say I don't want to take a med.  I would prefer to do yoga, meditate, drink herb tea and do whatever I have to do naturally in order not to go through the awful side effects that come with most drugs.  Again... my desire is that many others here could successfully taper off these Benzo's without the help of another drug.  I did not reach for a drug... in fact my psyche Dr.  prescribed four meds over the last two years that I left at the pharmacy.  It was only in the last two months of feeling suicidal, stumbling over things from sleep deprivation and crying almost non-stop daily... not wanting to go out in public for fear that I was going to crash my car, fall on my face or cry at the drop of a hat that I decided it was BEST for me to get some help with another medication and it has helped me so much.  Better to be alive then dead and that is where I felt I was headed.  My son was worried about me... my friends were worried.  I am better now and I thank God for the awesome people here that helped me make the choice to take the Remeron.  I am glad that you were able to taper without drugs... good for you.  But I guess I failed in some people's eyes because I reached for Remeron.  Also... I mentioned the hospital not because of anything regarding the Dr's but I've seen people go through the ER and ICU with severe sleep deprivation and it was a very real medical condition that took several days in the hospital to correct.  Again... not everyone is the same.... some of us can do the taper without meds... some cannot and that's ok. We are all hero' s and warriors here not just the ones who don't reach for yet another med.  :thumbsup:

RR

You do what’s right.  :) The same as me and I’m sleeping great. It allows me to function and work and live a normal life. Good luck.  :smitten:

RR---

If it works for you then do it !  Not everyone is the same. You are healing so it's defiantly is helping.

Blessings

NTAB

Your avatar makes me dizzy. Lol 😂. So does colins.

RR:

But I guess I failed in some people's eyes because I reached for Remeron.

You didn't!! Don't worry about *those* people, RR. Just do what you need to do to feel better. You shouldn't have to defend your choices to anyone. People (some) on here can be very prescriptive about what others should do . . . because it worked for them. We are all different ... need different things . . . have different outcomes. All we can and should do is relate our experiences if we think they will help someone else, and let them make up their own minds.

Hope you feel better, Raquel.

:smitten:

Katz

RR

You do what’s right.  :) The same as me and I’m sleeping great. It allows me to function and work and live a normal life. Good luck.  :smitten:

Amen!!!  :thumbsup::smitten:

RR:

But I guess I failed in some people's eyes because I reached for Remeron.

You didn't!! Don't worry about *those* people, RR. Just do what you need to do to feel better. You shouldn't have to defend your choices to anyone. People (some) on here can be very prescriptive about what others should do . . . because it worked for them. We are all different ... need different things . . . have different outcomes. All we can and should do is relate our experiences if we think they will help someone else, and let them make up their own minds.

Hope you feel better, Raquel.

:smitten:

Katz

Yes ma'am... I agree.  But I will go down fighting if someone makes an ignorant comment or judges me because of a choice that I make... that is the best choice for me.  Many people are struggling here and the last thing we need is condemnation.  You are right... we are all in different places in our lives.  :thumbsup::smitten:

RR---

If it works for you then do it !  Not everyone is the same. You are healing so it's defiantly is helping.

Blessings

Blessings to you as well!!!  :smitten::thumbsup:

RR---

Blessings

NTAB

Your avatar makes me dizzy. Lol 😂. So does colins.

:laugh:8):smitten::thumbsup:

Benzo WD induced insomnia is NOT a medical emergency no matter how much anyone wants to claim it is.  Unfortunately facts really don't care about feelings.  I was in 4 different ERs over a 4-6 week period (I can't remember the exact timeline now as it was over 3 years ago) and not once, even after telling the ER staff I only got 5 hours of sleep over 7 days did they say they would admit me because lack of sleep was serious.  Maybe people have had hospital experiences with lack of sleep due to something other than quitting Benzos? I don't know, but I do know hardly anyone gets 8 hours (even with drugs) during Benzo created insomnia.

I saw a Benzo-wise psychiatrist for several months and he told me there was no way that a temporary (even up to a year or two) lack of sleep could kill me or do any other "serious" harm to me.  He was the one that told me my body would get all of the sleep it needed (given the fact that my body's gas pedal--glutatmate--was stuck to the floor and my body's brake pedal--GABA--was temporarily broken) before anything bad could happen.  I felt wired and tired all of the time, but could barely sleep for months.  I am glad others can get relief from Remeron, Seroquel, Gabapentin etc. but no Rx drug worked for me for more than a day or two.  I had to survive without drugs.  Micro Sleep and short periods of sleep sustained me (and countless others) until my GABA and Glutamate receptors balanced out.

Instead of arguing about how much sleep a person needs or doesn't need because we are all different, just know that whatever sleep a person gets during Benzo induced insomnia is what their body needs at that time.  More is better, but telling people that x amount is required during recovery or else doesn't provide hope and only makes people more anxious about not sleeping...IMO.  One of the moderators on this forum (Leslie Ash) said she got 1-2 hours per night for 2 years and now sleeps more than 8 hours per night.

This site is about peer experiences....what worked and what didn't and is more valuable coming from those that made it to the "other side" IMO.  Will that apply to even one person...maybe not?  BUT I do know that one piece of advice that applies to everyone universally is that everyone HEALS to their pre-Benzo baseline or pre-drug health baseline AFTER they are off all drugs.

My original post was never intended to tell people what to do or shame them or make them feel guilty about what they need to do personally.  It was just another "option" and only for those that can accept it.  In this politically correct world we live in the magic words to get what you want are not please and thank you, but rather "I'm offended."