clonazepam withdrawal / drug induced movement disorders?

[cl...]

[c2...]

is benadryl a benzo??

i told my pdoc that i am finally off of all benadryl of which i had been on in pretty high amounts for 8 years -- and he says "benadryl has been around for a very long time and is a very safe drug" and other stuff too. i could believe it!

I have not been around for years, and I'm back because I want to help other people. I remember talking to you a lot, and I hope you are at least some better!

I have a story to tell you about benadryl, which I have never used. Last September I had a freak fall (long story) and ended up in the ER with a broken scapula. I didn't even know what a scapula is until I broke my right one. I told them I didn't want benzos. They asked me if I have problems with benadryl, and I said, "I don't think so." To they gave me a large dose. Then the nurse said, "Trust me, you'll be asleep in a little bit." Not only did I not go to sleep, I felt just awful, dizzy, and I knew sooner or later I would have to pee. They never listen to us, do they? Finally the gave me morphine and two percosets, then sent me home with a script for more. I never filled it. Last thing I wanted to do was to take pain pills. But the point is that we have to tell THEM what we can take, and what we can't.

Just a little story. I wanted to stop by and wish you more healing!

Gaer

Gary, were you given Benadryl via IV? I can take it orally, but by IV it wigs me out and makes me jittery and paranoid. Took a couple of times being given it through an IV that I figured this out. My daughter got a migraine when she was 15, was given Benadryl in her IV and had the same reaction as I did. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Benadryl is an antihistamine. Benzos: benzodiazepines.

Benadryl is an antihistamine that can have bad effects on the vestibular system. It's known as a "vestibular suppressant" in the medical literature. Check out this link from the Vestibular Disorders Association:

https://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/treatment/vestibular-medication

Suffice to say, it's not meant for long-term use. Benzos and anticholinergics are also "vestibular suppressants".

I stated that here already.

for MEN ONLY:

another symptom i noticed since withdrawal from clonazepam is SEXual disfunction: arousal / loss of interest in SEX, erection problems / curvature, ejaculation problems, loss of sensation / dull pain

intensity / numbness, difficulty achieving orgasm

- did not have these problems while on clonazepam

- anyone else???

I was on clonazepam for 9-10 years at first it was working okay then it changed in early January 2018 and started getting weird side effects: increased anxiety, head twitching, chest pains, and panic attacks

saw doctor and expressed that meds are not making me feel calm or good anymore and i want to get off meds

did a taper and stopped taking clonazepam rather fast after developing movement disorder / chronic head shaking / tremors in legs / trouble walking, etc for the last nine months in addition to insomnia and alot of other symptoms [anxiety, balance, blurry vision, confusion, depression, dizzyness, suididal thoughts, tinnitus]

- anyone else have this kind of experience??

had blood tests [including Lime], CAT and MRI [without contrast] brain scans done. ALL came back 'normal'

- saw neurologist that diagnosed with a "functional neurological movement disorder" [vague umbrella terminology]

and referred me to a psychologist for 'psycho therapy' claiming the movement disorder is "caused by complications of anxiety and depression" and is talking about how emotions and feelings cause movement disorder completely ignoring the fact that i was on meds for 9-10 years and could be going through withdrawal or nervous system damage possibly low dopamine, gaba, serotonin brain chemical neurotransmitter / receptor imbalances

this "how do you feel?" 'psycho-talk therapy' approach is not making the constant movement disorder or other symptoms go away.

- I have to rely on my family for drives to these sessions and we do not see how this 'psych therapy' is going to help my condition and i feel pressured by this psychologist to video record my sessions when i keep telling him i dont want to have myself recorded.

I know what i am going through is benzo / clonazepam withdrawal and no doctors will admit that it could even be a possibility that is my anxiety / depression causing this

I feel blamed and pressured like i am being taken for a fool and I think I am.

because there is nothing they or I can do about this to fix the damage the meds did to my brain and nervous system.

had a couple of windows of small relief here and there and then it comes back worse than before

i am disability too so i am also forced to keep seeing certain doctors in case disability needs to check my status and it's just so (i can't find the right words) to having to try to explain my whole deal to these doctors who are so easily to dismiss it and make you look like you're the one with the mental issues is just feels so powerless and like i am this on-going victim and at my expense. it feels as though these doctors are constantly gaslighting me!

it just feels wrong and not who i really am i am too am having trouble even finding a good counselor or therapist to talk to and i feel the need to just talk to someone about everything. i too have to rely on my mother for rides and it's a nightmare. i was able to drive for awhile and the something changed with the neuropathy in my feet so now i am trying to find another car that is an automatic and try to sell my stick shit. it sucks!

Lapis,

you are lucky that you found someone good that is in your corner and i know i will most likely have to go through a few different people.

i had also brought ton's of documentation to a former doctor who had "tried" to help me with my taper. it took years upon years of shoving all of this documentation of this benzo illness down his throat and was quite exhausting but in the end worth it as he has many patients who are trying to get off their benzo and just can't and he is now a "benzo wise" doctor because of all the constant barraging of info i gave to him. i am too exhausted at the moment to barrage any of my other doctors.

clonazXXX

your sexual symptoms will subside and go away at some point. i had them too. there is a buddie on here named 'Spruce" who went on and on all about his sexual dysfunction symptoms. that was his number one problem. i don't think he comes on here as much but he does still send me a PM once in awhile. maybe would be a good person to talk to for you.

Hi prettydaisys,

I tried not to "barrage" anyone with information, because I wanted to earn their respect. I wanted them to see me as an intelligent, informed person who had some understanding of what was happening. It worked in my favour. I understood that I needed them on my side, that I still needed their help, but I also needed them to treat me with respect. I still bring medical journal articles to medical appointments, where it's appropriate to do so.

[8e...]

I was on clonazepam for 9-10 years at first it was working okay then it changed in early January 2018 and started getting weird side effects: increased anxiety, head twitching, chest pains, and panic attacks

saw doctor and expressed that meds are not making me feel calm or good anymore and i want to get off meds

did a taper and stopped taking clonazepam rather fast after developing movement disorder / chronic head shaking / tremors in legs / trouble walking, etc for the last nine months in addition to insomnia and alot of other symptoms [anxiety, balance, blurry vision, confusion, depression, dizzyness, suididal thoughts, tinnitus]

had blood tests [including Lime], CAT and MRI [without contrast] brain scans done. ALL came back 'normal'

- saw neurologist that diagnosed with a "functional neurological movement disorder" [vague umbrella terminology]

and referred me to a psychologist for 'psycho therapy' claiming the movement disorder is "caused by complications of anxiety and depression" and is talking about how emotions and feelings cause movement disorder completely ignoring the fact that i was on meds for 9-10 years and could be going through withdrawal or nervous system damage possibly low dopamine, gaba, serotonin brain chemical neurotransmitter / receptor imbalances

this "how do you feel?" 'psycho-talk therapy' approach is not making the constant movement disorder or other symptoms go away.

I have had that and much more. I had  over 100 symptoms and my doc I had then said it was anxiety causing all this. I have a new doc now and he says...it is caused by benzo w/d. A lot of people get really sick in w/d or when using benzo. And that I could count to heal around 2-3 years after stop using benzo. He also said my brain is damaged by Valium or that I am not able to take benzo again. It will cause kindling (I will never touch benzo again). I got severe akathisia for 13 months. Started day one  I had to move my body 16 hours/day. Pace around in my house. Was not able to sit down at all. Have been free from akathisia for 3 months now. Hope it stay that way

yes all my doctors i have dealt with are either misinformed or liars they claim all my symptoms are "complications of anxiety and depression" but offer no explanation how that causes head / back tremors / shaking and trouble walking

neurologist i was referred to sent me to see a pyschologist who after 6 sessions is not helping with the physical symptoms and will not acknowledge / discuss benzo withdrawal

and will only talk about emotions and feelings and how they effect 'movement disorder'

- also anyone have problems with eyesight / vision?

my eyes lately are burning stinging red and full of discharge / puss

blurry vision getting worse / sharp pain in both eyes feels like in back of eyes

i have been diagnosed with 'optic nerve pressure / pigment dispersion syndrome

glaucoma suspect'

have been wearing glasses all my life with astygmatism but vision has been getting

much worse since on/off benzos

i am scared i am going to go blind

- anyone know of anyone going blind after benzo withdrawal??

I have had that and much more. I had  over 100 symotoms and my doc I had then said it was anxiety causing all this. I have a new doc now and he says...it is caused by benzo w/d. A lot of people get really sick. And that I could count to heal around 2-3 years after stop using benzo. He also said my brain is damage by Valium. I got severe akathisia fof 13 months. Started day one  I had to move my body 16 hours/day. Pace around in my house. Was not able to sit down at all. Have been free from akathisia for 3 months now. Hope it stay that way

[8e...]

yes all my doctors i have dealt with are either misinformed or liars they claim all my symptoms are "complications of anxiety and depression" but offer no explanation how that causes head / back tremors / shaking and trouble walking

neurologist i was referred to sent me to see a pyschologist who after 6 sessions is not helping with the physical symptoms and will not acknowledge / discuss benzo withdrawal

and will only talk about emotions and feelings and how they effect 'movement disorder'

my eyes lately are burning stinging red and full of puss

blurry vision getting worse

glaucoma suspect'

have been wearing glasses all my life with astygmatism but vision has been getting

I have had that and much more. I had  over 100 symotoms and my doc I had then said it was anxiety causing all this. I have a new doc now and he says...it is caused by benzo w/d. A lot of people get really sick. And that I could count to heal around 2-3 years after stop using benzo. He also said my brain is damage by Valium. I got severe akathisia fof 13 months. Started day one  I had to move my body 16 hours/day. Pace around in my house. Was not able to sit down at all. Have been free from akathisia for 3 months now. Hope it stay that way

I have trouble with my sight it us blurry I cant focus. I see floaters flashes, shadows. Hard to see in darkness. Sometimes my sight is really sharp. Objects and colors can look so much stronger/sharp. Now dealing with dr dp makes it even worse.

Vision issues is a really common symptom in w/d.

I am a reg.nurse. and my first thought is maybe ypur eyes have an infection? Sounds like that because of the redness and pus.

did you have problems with your eyes before or after benzo usage??

my eyes are burning irritated, and stinging and have a discharge it is probably the fluid buildup from optic nerve pressure according to optamologist

I was prescribed beta blocker med eye drops for a period of time and developed severe chest pains [one of the side effects] and had to stop

I read an article about benzos and psych meds effect eye / vision optic nerve problems which makes sense because it is all connected to the central nervous system

glaucoma suspect'

I have trouble with my sight it us blurry I cant focus. I see floaters flashes, shadows. Hard to see in darkness. Sometimes my sight is really sharp. Objects and colors can look so much stronger/sharp. Now dealing with dr dp makes it even worse.

I am a reg.nurse. and my first thought is maybe ypur eyes have an infection? Sounds like that because of the redness and pus.

[8e...]

did you have problems with your eyes before or after benzo usage??

my eyes are burning irritated, and stinging and have a discharge it is probably the fluid buildup from optic nerve pressure according to optamologist

I was prescribed beta blocker med eye drops for a period of time and developed severe chest pains [one of the side effects] and had to stop

I read an article about benzos and psych meds effect eye / vision optic nerve problems which makes sense because it is all connected to the central nervous system

glaucoma suspect'

No nothing before. It started during my tolerance w/d. And is there on off during the day. I

Hi prettydaisys,

I tried not to "barrage" anyone with information, because I wanted to earn their respect. I wanted them to see me as an intelligent, informed person who had some understanding of what was happening. It worked in my favour. I understood that I needed them on my side, that I still needed their help, but I also needed them to treat me with respect. I still bring medical journal articles to medical appointments, where it's appropriate to do so.

using the word "barrage" was just making a point of how determined i was to inform my doctor -- of course i didn't avalanche him but it still took some time. and now he is a benzo wise doctor so i feel good about it.

Hi prettydaisys,

using the word "barrage" was just making a point of how determined i was to inform my doctor -- of course i didn't avalanche him but it still took some time. and now he is a benzo wise doctor so i feel good about it.

That's good to hear.

it's good to let doctors know you have done research about effects of benzos and other meds they try to push on us instead of being naive and compliant with everything they say because they are not always right

- wish i had done research on psychiatric meds anti-anxiety antidepressants before asking for them from my doctor 25 years ago i would not be in the mess I am in now

Hi prettydaisys,

it's good to let doctors know you have done research about effects of benzos and other meds they try to push on us instead of being naive and compliant with everything they say because they are not always right

- wish i had done research on psychiatric meds anti-anxiety antidepressants before asking for them from my doctor 25 years ago i would not be in the mess I am in now

Hi prettydaisys,

Yes, well, few of us understood the dangers. Of course, that should have been the duty of the doctor and pharmacists, i.e. to inform and educate us, but clearly, that didn't happen in most of our cases. Now that we have access to all sorts of information online, including medical journal articles that were previously unavailable to most laypeople -- then we can inform ourselves. I have hundreds of articles now -- some printed, some not -- that I've saved from my online research. There's just so much. I haven't read any of the books that many people around here suggest, e.g those by Robert Whitaker, Dr. Peter Breggin, Dr. Peter Goeztsche and others. I have, however, read the book by Harvard professor Dr. Joseph Glenmullen called "The Antidepressant Solution". I sticky-noted a number of pages and brought it to my last (thank goodness) session with a psychiatrist years ago when I had to explain why I couldn't take anymore SSRIs. Lowered bone density, dizziness, lowered sodium levels, sexual dysfunction, withdrawal syndromes, etc. -- it was all in the book. The doctor finally accepted what I was saying and agreed that my dizziness was "biological" in nature. Thank you, Doctor.

- did anyone notice behavior changes in themselves during benzo usage and after when hitting 'tolerance withdrawal'??

- anger problems

- delusions

- egotistical/ narcisistic behavior

- obsessive behavior [obsessing about celebrities and normal people / writing letters to people / stalking]

- sadness

- sex addictions

- self loathing

This is the first time I have ever read a post on here and had to continually glance over to the author to make sure I didn't write this..... Unbelievable.  Almost the very same experience.  I'm just over a year and my muscles and dystonia are alarming.  Really my only remaining symptom but its a HUGE one.  K-Pin ~10 years

yes it is eerie how similar everyone's experiences are on here and doctors who claim that symptoms are "complications of anxiety and depression" and not caused by benzos

This is the first time I have ever read a post on here and had to continually glance over to the author to make sure I didn't write this..... Unbelievable.  Almost the very same experience.  I'm just over a year and my muscles and dystonia are alarming.  Really my only remaining symptom but its a HUGE one.  K-Pin ~10 years

yes it is eerie how similar everyone's experiences are on here and doctors who claim that symptoms are "complications of anxiety and depression" and not caused by benzos

Hey Clon. I just read the whole thread too, -and you gave a great account of my SX in many ways too..!!

I think you can stop questioning if its WD. !! 

So as to any Drs needed.. -A priority is to have them serve your needs, which may only be to keep your payments coming and allowing you the time you need to heal..??  You may wish to humour them, fight to educate them, or even submit, -I guess...??, but make sure it works for you.. The options open right up if you can find one that can actually help, and one can actually manage to attend (I hear ya on that)... :(

I have an accepting and humbly curious Dr... Its great..!!

But I have had the bad too, and sometimes I think it best to avoid some battles on a risk vs benifit basis... But I sure get the frustration!! -I would have a very blunt and equally repetitive response to "Mr" -"how does that make you feel..??!!

You know, due to the physical nature of the accident, I had a huge variety of Drs etc, and of all the crazy blunders and mistakes as this transitioned into what it now is, the ones that stand out the worst to me are in the medication discontinuation field or a related SX field...  The fact that discontinuation was voluntary and my current Drs refused to force me off, gave me a lot power, esp against the "addiction" gang.. -oh the fights..!! Actually I think I was a newby here for the end of that.??. I can only imagine what I wrote..!! Lol

I saw how much a couple wanted to "break" me -Just for insisting on tolerance as the problem...

I just mention this in hope that it will help you play a smart game that leaves you the winner in the end... Cos Stress is a killer..!!

:)

yes it is good to know that I am not the only one with bad experiences from the medical community and it really sucks going to see doctors / 'mental health professionals' that have no clue, are denying / covering up for each other and/or gaslighting / treating you like you are crazy and continually asking to videotape you

while you are shaking / tremoring / struggling to talk, think, and walk

- it is VERY frustrating, irritating, and humiliating.. and it does not help

Hey Clon. I just read the whole thread too, -and you gave a great account of my SX in many ways too..!!

So as to any Drs needed.. -A priority is to have them serve your needs, which may only be to keep your payments coming and allowing you the time you need to heal..??  You may wish to humour them, fight to educate them, or even submit, -I guess...??, but make sure it works for you.. The options open right up if you can find one that can actually help, and one can actually manage to attend (I hear ya on that)... :(

But I have had the bad too, and sometimes I think it best to avoid some battles on a risk vs benifit basis... But I sure get the frustration!! -I would have a very blunt and equally repetitive response to "Mr" -"how does that make you feel..??!!

You know, due to the physical nature of the accident, I had a huge variety of Drs etc, and of all the crazy blunders and mistakes as this transitioned into what it now is, the ones that stand out the worst to me are in the medication discontinuation field or a related SX field...  The fact that discontinuation was voluntary and my current Drs refused to force me off, gave me a lot power, esp against the "addiction" gang.. -oh the fights..!! Actually I think I was a newby here for the end of that.??. I can only imagine what I wrote..!! Lol

I saw how much a couple wanted to "break" me -Just for insisting on tolerance as the problem...

I just mention this in hope that it will help you play a smart game that leaves you the winner in the end... Cos Stress is a killer..!!

yes it is good to know that I am not the only one with bad experiences from the medical community and it really sucks going to see doctors / 'mental health professionals' that have no clue, are denying / covering up for each other and/or gaslighting / treating you like you are crazy and continually asking to videotape you

while you are shaking / tremoring / struggling to talk, think, and walk

- it is VERY frustrating, irritating, and humiliating.. and it does not help

Hi all, I've been reading this blog and can relate to so many on here. I was on clonazepam for the better part of 20 years before I managed to get off, thanks to this BB site. When I went to my PCP with odd complaints over the years and he had no clue. I decided to stop wasting my time and decided I was on my own.  I ended up in the ER twice. Once for dizziness and lastly transient global amnesia prior to my taper. I was sent home with a script for the dizziness, which I did not fill.

With the amnesia ER visit, I was given a brain scan to rule out a stroke or anything else. Nothing remarkable showed up. I just knew I was in big trouble health wise. Not one health care professional ever suggested I get off of clonazepam. Not one...

I am ever so slowly recovering with lots of waves, but I am getting better.

Please don't ever give up the ship. 

CAT and MRI scans are great for checking brain 'structural damage' but not functional damage, scans do not show brain cells, nerves, electronic signals, neurochemicals, and neurotransmitters / receptors

it is so easy for a neurologist to say "its not the clonazepam / your scans showed normal /clearly you need pyschotherapy"

Hi all, I've been reading this blog and can relate to so many on here. I was on clonazepam for the better part of 20 years before I managed to get off, thanks to this BB site. When I went to my PCP with odd complaints over the years and he had no clue. I decided to stop wasting my time and decided I was on my own.  I ended up in the ER twice. Once for dizziness and lastly transient global amnesia prior to my taper. I was sent home with a script for the dizziness, which I did not fill.

With the amnesia ER visit, I was given a brain scan to rule out a stroke or anything else. Nothing remarkable showed up. I just knew I was in big trouble health wise. Not one health care professional ever suggested I get off of clonazepam. Not one...

I am ever so slowly recovering with lots of waves, but I am getting better.

Please don't ever give up the ship.

Hi prettydaisys,

That's good to hear.

so glad that you approve... :D  you know, even if i did 'barrage" my doc of info -- everyone has their own way of doing things and you have yours so i really don't like feeling judged. everybody does what they believe is right at the time and we all make mistakes... i spent over 6 years delicately giving my doctor (who allowed me to do a brutal cold turkey) -- info about this drug and this syndrome -- when what i really wanted to do was sue him and i told him that too. hopefully now he is able to treat his patients the proper way who are having much difficulty in getting off benoz's.

did anyone notice behavior changes in themselves during benzo usage and after when hitting 'tolerance withdrawal'??

- anger problems

- delusions

- egotistical/ narcisistic behavior

- obsessive behavior [obsessing about celebrities and normal people / writing letters to people / stalking]

- sadness

- sex addictions

- self loathing

all of these are withdrawal symptoms. not only did i have anger -- my only emotion for a long time was rage. how i know all of these are symptoms of withdrawal is because when in a window it would all lift.

not sure why this thread is even in the protracted section?

i'm outta here!