clonazepam withdrawal / drug induced movement disorders?

[cl...]

I sought help for this and they referred me to a psychologist

who asks me: "how do you feel?" over and over again for an hour every week

"put aside medical explanations" try to focus on anxiety and depression emotions and feelings and how it affects your movement disorder"

while i am sitting there head twitching / shaking / unable to talk or think clearly or walk properly

Good. Thanks for letting us know. If you're not, please, please, please seek help.

Yes, I know, clonaz. We're all in the same boat. I'm having extreme trouble moving today, but we have to try to get through it hour by hour, day by day. I cried all day yesterday. Today, I'm white-knuckling it on my walker, just trying to get to the washroom. Where I live, there's a distress centre to call if one needs to talk to someone, but generally, I just try to distract myself with other things so that I can get through the day. Obviously, it's a physical thing, and there's no quick cure that we know of. It's one day at a time...and one hour at a time...

Sorry, clonaz. I don't have any great answers or wisdom other than that right now. It's been a brutal week for me too, and I've grappled with this from all angles. I just want it to be over for all of us.

Take care of yourself.

have been feeling very weird lately disconnect from reality numb in the head

arms and legs

like nothing is real blurry vision feel like passing out but cant sleep get comfortable

constant feeling of fear / trapped

Yes, I know, clonaz. We're all in the same boat. I'm having extreme trouble moving today, but we have to try to get through it hour by hour, day by day. I cried all day yesterday. Today, I'm white-knuckling it on my walker, just trying to get to the washroom. Where I live, there's a distress centre to call if one needs to talk to someone, but generally, I just try to distract myself with other things so that I can get through the day. Obviously, it's a physical thing, and there's no quick cure that we know of. It's one day at a time...and one hour at a time...

Sorry, clonaz. I don't have any great answers or wisdom other than that right now. It's been a brutal week for me too, and I've grappled with this from all angles. I just want it to be over for all of us.

Take care of yourself.

my head and body just feels numb like a magnetic feeling and balance is off head twitching back and forth when I try to walk

i fear going off clonazepam caused this because I was never like this before or after being on it...i think i screwed up my brain/body and am scared i am going to be like this forever anxiety can not / does not cause this

It sounds like depersonalization or derealization. It's a pretty common withdrawal symptom, and there are likely lots of threads on this topic. You could do a search, or have a look here for the description:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

clonaz, these are withdrawal symptoms from having taken the medication. Most people here on BB have experienced all of these symptoms too. Have you read the Ashton Manual? It's a good source of info which can explain what's happening in your body and why. It gives information on many of the withdrawal effects too, so if you read it, you'll understand that these are all part of the withdrawal syndrome. Your body needs time to normalize after having taken the medications for such a long time, so try to keep that in mind, if possible. We all want it to be gone quickly, but it takes time. No one can say how long it will take for each person, unfortunately.

Do you ever read the Success Stories? By the way, why are you posting in the Protracted section when you haven't been off the medication for very long? It might be best to post in the other section where people are still newly off. Most of us have been off for quite a bit longer than you. Check Post-Withdrawal Recovery Support.

yes I will check that and post there

Do you ever read the Success Stories? By the way, why are you posting in the Protracted section when you haven't been off the medication for very long? It might be best to post in the other section where people are still newly off. Most of us have been off for quite a bit longer than you. Check Post-Withdrawal Recovery Support.

clonaz, these are withdrawal symptoms from having taken the medication. Most people here on BB have experienced all of these symptoms too. Have you read the Ashton Manual? It's a good source of info which can explain what's happening in your body and why. It gives information on many of the withdrawal effects too, so if you read it, you'll understand that these are all part of the withdrawal syndrome. Your body needs time to normalize after having taken the medications for such a long time, so try to keep that in mind, if possible. We all want it to be gone quickly, but it takes time. No one can say how long it will take for each person, unfortunately.

have been feeling very weird lately disconnect from reality numb in the head

arms and legs

like nothing is real blurry vision feel like passing out but cant sleep get comfortable

constant feeling of fear / trapped

my movement disorder looks alot like this

I was on clonazepam for 9-10 years at first it was working okay then it changed in early January 2018 and started getting weird side effects: increased anxiety, head twitching, chest pains, and panic attacks

saw doctor and expressed that meds are not making me feel calm or good anymore and i want to get off meds

did a taper and stopped taking clonazepam rather fast after developing movement disorder / chronic head shaking / tremors in legs / trouble walking, etc for the last nine months in addition to insomnia and alot of other symptoms [anxiety, balance, blurry vision, confusion, depression, dizzyness, suididal thoughts, tinnitus]

- anyone else have this kind of experience??

had blood tests [including Lime], CAT and MRI [without contrast] brain scans done. ALL came back 'normal'

- saw neurologist that diagnosed with a "functional neurological movement disorder" [vague umbrella terminology]

and referred me to a psychologist for 'psycho therapy' claiming the movement disorder is "caused by complications of anxiety and depression" and is talking about how emotions and feelings cause movement disorder completely ignoring the fact that i was on meds for 9-10 years and could be going through withdrawal or nervous system damage possibly low dopamine, gaba, serotonin brain chemical neurotransmitter / receptor imbalances

this "how do you feel?" 'psycho-talk therapy' approach is not making the constant movement disorder or other symptoms go away.

thanks for merging this topic

I was on clonazepam for 9-10 years at first it was working okay then it changed in early January 2018 and started getting weird side effects: increased anxiety, head twitching, chest pains, and panic attacks

saw doctor and expressed that meds are not making me feel calm or good anymore and i want to get off meds

did a taper and stopped taking clonazepam rather fast after developing movement disorder / chronic head shaking / tremors in legs / trouble walking, etc for the last nine months in addition to insomnia and alot of other symptoms [anxiety, balance, blurry vision, confusion, depression, dizzyness, suididal thoughts, tinnitus]

had blood tests [including Lime], CAT and MRI [without contrast] brain scans done. ALL came back 'normal'

- saw neurologist that diagnosed with a "functional neurological movement disorder" [vague umbrella terminology]

and referred me to a psychologist for 'psycho therapy' claiming the movement disorder is "caused by complications of anxiety and depression" and is talking about how emotions and feelings cause movement disorder completely ignoring the fact that i was on meds for 9-10 years and could be going through withdrawal or nervous system damage possibly low dopamine, gaba, serotonin brain chemical neurotransmitter / receptor imbalances

this "how do you feel?" 'psycho-talk therapy' approach is not making the constant movement disorder or other symptoms go away.

been taking 5-HTP and magnesium supplements lately with other vitamins and

seeing a little improvement here and there with the frequency of shaking / tremors

and walking trouble

- anyone else?

also have been getting numb semi painful feelings in left / right arms / wrists

lower back, behind legs, and numbness inside my head and ears like a feeling of water in the ears, also choking feeling in throat and tightness in chest

- anyone else?

seeing a little improvement here and there with the frequency of shaking / tremors

and walking trouble

- anyone else?

Yeah man, all par for the course for me. It’s all withdrawal. Mine started towards end of taper and worsened once off, there is no clearer picture.  It will (has to) eventually get better

and walking trouble

- anyone else?

5-HTP is amino acid that worlks on transmitters and i've heard many reports of magnesium causing symptoms as it also affects the GABA. i actually take just a little once in awhile. but i am just reporting of many other posts that i've read. maybe take a break from everyting for just awhile and let your brain heal without anything being in the way and especially since you are so early out -- maybe try supplements a little later on or if you are definitely deficient.

i told my pdoc that i am finally off of all benadryl of which i had been on in pretty high amounts for 8 years -- and he says "benadryl has been around for a very long time and is a very safe drug" and other stuff too. i could believe it!

I have not been around for years, and I'm back because I want to help other people. I remember talking to you a lot, and I hope you are at least some better!

I have a story to tell you about benadryl, which I have never used. Last September I had a freak fall (long story) and ended up in the ER with a broken scapula. I didn't even know what a scapula is until I broke my right one. I told them I didn't want benzos. They asked me if I have problems with benadryl, and I said, "I don't think so." To they gave me a large dose. Then the nurse said, "Trust me, you'll be asleep in a little bit." Not only did I not go to sleep, I felt just awful, dizzy, and I knew sooner or later I would have to pee. They never listen to us, do they? Finally the gave me morphine and two percosets, then sent me home with a script for more. I never filled it. Last thing I wanted to do was to take pain pills. But the point is that we have to tell THEM what we can take, and what we can't.

Just a little story. I wanted to stop by and wish you more healing!

Gaer

movement disorder??

i told my pdoc that i am finally off of all benadryl of which i had been on in pretty high amounts for 8 years -- and he says "benadryl has been around for a very long time and is a very safe drug" and other stuff too. i could believe it!

I have not been around for years, and I'm back because I want to help other people. I remember talking to you a lot, and I hope you are at least some better!

I have a story to tell you about benadryl, which I have never used. Last September I had a freak fall (long story) and ended up in the ER with a broken scapula. I didn't even know what a scapula is until I broke my right one. I told them I didn't want benzos. They asked me if I have problems with benadryl, and I said, "I don't think so." To they gave me a large dose. Then the nurse said, "Trust me, you'll be asleep in a little bit." Not only did I not go to sleep, I felt just awful, dizzy, and I knew sooner or later I would have to pee. They never listen to us, do they? Finally the gave me morphine and two percosets, then sent me home with a script for more. I never filled it. Last thing I wanted to do was to take pain pills. But the point is that we have to tell THEM what we can take, and what we can't.

Gaer

[65...]

Gaer

Gary, were you given Benadryl via IV? I can take it orally, but by IV it wigs me out and makes me jittery and paranoid. Took a couple of times being given it through an IV that I figured this out. My daughter got a migraine when she was 15, was given Benadryl in her IV and had the same reaction as I did. 🤷🏻‍♀️

is benadryl a benzo??

Gaer

Gary, were you given Benadryl via IV? I can take it orally, but by IV it wigs me out and makes me jittery and paranoid. Took a couple of times being given it through an IV that I figured this out. My daughter got a migraine when she was 15, was given Benadryl in her IV and had the same reaction as I did. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Benadryl is an antihistamine that can have bad effects on the vestibular system. It's known as a "vestibular suppressant" in the medical literature. Check out this link from the Vestibular Disorders Association:

https://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/treatment/vestibular-medication

Suffice to say, it's not meant for long-term use. Benzos and anticholinergics are also "vestibular suppressants".

so last night and today was really bad with 'neurological functional movement disorder' symptoms caused by 'anxiety and depression', my head is violently spasming and twitching forwards / backwards / side to side, cannot walk knees are giving out buckling under me have to support myself against walls falling backwards, neck, back, and limbs are sore, head is hurting pressure in ears / my eyes / vision are blurry burning itchy puffy red and puss is coming out of them and I *did not sleep [*which has been going on for over a year] if i do sleep it is 2-3 hours a night and restless

- decided there was no way i could do my scheduled 'psychological therapy' session [6 of 20] and called the psychologist office to cancel he called back and he basically said that "days like this are important to come in so we can help you"

i explained that I can not walk, talk, or think clearly to even try to talk about how I feel.

he insisted i reschedule for next week and "have to believe and buy into the therapy to work"

- I have to rely on my family for drives to these sessions and we do not see how this 'psych therapy' is going to help my condition and i feel pressured by this psychologist to video record my sessions when i keep telling him i dont want to have myself recorded.

I know what i am going through is benzo / clonazepam withdrawal and no doctors will admit that it could even be a possibility that is my anxiety / depression causing this

I feel blamed and pressured like i am being taken for a fool and I think I am.

because there is nothing they or I can do about this to fix the damage the meds did to my brain and nervous system.

had a couple of windows of small relief here and there and then it comes back worse than before

Will you continue to attend those sessions, clonaz? It sounds very frustrating.  :(

Hi clonaz,

Are you required -- and if so, by whom -- to see this particular person? Can you not choose someone else? I had to meet with a number of different people before I found someone that I felt would be a good fit for me.

no I am not really 'required' to see anyone except that i have to do something because i am on disability financial benefit payments from the government and have to have doctors note sign for it

I was referred to this psychologist by a neurologist who i was reffered to by my GP doctor [who I no longer trust]

the fact is i do not trust anyone in the medical industry anymore, my condition seems to be the same or worse since i stopped taking clonazepam [the reason i stopped was it was no longer working like it initially did and I was having problems]

another psychologist is not going to fix this, neither are more psych drugs, or going back on clonazepam is going to fix this.

i dont know what to do I can't stand being like this it's like being dead and in hell partially aware / numb to what is going on.

Your "movement disorder" is from the damn Klonopin! Especially if you've never had anything like it before. Please, please, please do not let a neurologist or psychiatrist try to convince you otherwise. That psych is full of bunk.  I've had every test known to mankind, prodding and zapping by a neurologist and suggestions that I'm bipolar by a psych. I'm actually a very normal retired professional in the educational field with a public record of normalcy and dependency. And I was a Pilates queen before going into wd. Practitioners have to put your symptoms in a category that matches something they know, and so you can get some really crazy diagnoses.

These are some of the weird wd muscle symptoms I've had during the last year of a 2.5 year taper, and during the past 3.7 years post K: Weird twitches and back/forth movements of my shoulders and hips; big spasms in either left/right side of the torso that you can see or at least palpate; torso tightening that's visible to the naked eye; very reactive muscles deep in the pelvic girdle that cause my leg(s) to twitch (my chiro gets big-eyed when I show her this one!); nights with restless legs (this is almost always accompanied with stinging paresthesia); feeling unbalanced/awkward when walking. These do not occur every day and with the same intensity as in earlier years. But I do have one or more on most days on a much lower level.

I get some relief by doing daily stretching. Also, as I've mentioned before in other posts, from a gentle type of myofascial release, mainly on the whole back and also front of the my torso.

As you know from being on BB, some people are severely affected by the wd process.  A couple of years ago, genetic testing  showed I was never able to metabolize one of K's metabolites, and I think this has contributed to the extent of my nerve/muscle involvement.

I expect to fully recuperate even after being on K for 20 years and being in a protracted wd for so long. Please have faith in your own hunches about yourself, and in the body's natural movement toward balance and wellness.

Best

p

Hi,

I see a massage therapist who does advanced mayo facial release.

Can I ask which techniques you find most helpful.

My whole torso, lower back, neck, shoulders and flutes are constantly contracted in a tight locked-down way. Stretching makes it worse as does some massage.

no I am not really 'required' to see anyone except that i have to do something because i am on disability financial benefit payments from the government and have to have doctors note sign for it

I was referred to this psychologist by a neurologist who i was reffered to by my GP doctor [who I no longer trust]

the fact is i do not trust anyone in the medical industry anymore, my condition seems to be the same or worse since i stopped taking clonazepam [the reason i stopped was it was no longer working like it initially did and I was having problems]

another psychologist is not going to fix this, neither are more psych drugs, or going back on clonazepam is going to fix this.

i dont know what to do I can't stand being like this it's like being dead and in hell partially aware / numb to what is going on.

I agree that no psychologist can "fix" it, but you can hopefully find a much better, more supportive and compassionate one that the one you're currently seeing. As I mentioned, I saw four or five different people before I found one that I felt was appropriate for me. She didn't know about benzo withdrawal, but I've shared so much information (my story, medical journal articles, other articles, etc.) on benzo withdrawal that she has become quite knowledgeable. She provides support to help me get through it, and she doesn't prescribe pills like a psychiatrist would (been there, no thank you).

It's worth checking out the other possibilities, clonaz. You're clearly dissatisfied with the person you're seeing. Why not give it a try?

I am in the 'public' health care system not private and even if i could try to find another therapist the wait times are very long..it was not my idea to see a psychologist I was forced into it by my doctor claiming it was caused by "complications of anxiety and depression / psychiatric problems" and the neurologist and psychologisy agreeing with him

- no doctors or mental health therapists in this market will acknowledge or talk about benzo withdrawal symptoms especially when their interpersonal communication notes

do not acknowledge it..it is a cover up

anytime i have brought it up they all dismiss it

- also they are all going to be looking at my 'medical history' from my GP Doctor and he has me listed / reported as anxiety depression / mental psychological problems so they are not going to acknowledge that clonazepam psychiatric medication caused this movement disorder problem all reports go back to him they are not going to go against him

there is no good way out of this only if it gets better on its own

I agree that no psychologist can "fix" it, but you can hopefully find a much better, more supportive and compassionate one that the one you're currently seeing. As I mentioned, I saw four or five different people before I found one that I felt was appropriate for me. She didn't know about benzo withdrawal, but I've shared so much information (my story, medical journal articles, other articles, etc.) on benzo withdrawal that she has become quite knowledgeable. She provides support to help me get through it, and she doesn't prescribe pills like a psychiatrist would (been there, no thank you).

It's worth checking out the other possibilities, clonaz. You're clearly dissatisfied with the person you're seeing. Why not give it a try?

Well, I have a couple other thoughts on that:

Find out about social workers that are provinically covered for you. They often do counselling but may have other skills and knowledge base.

Also, you can start doing research and bringing in medical journal articles on benzodiazepines. I've posted many, many articles in the Benzos in the News section over the past few years, so you could look there. Dr. Malcolm Lader, Dr. Heather Ashton, Dr. Peter Goetzsche, Dr. Peter Breggin and others have written articles and books, and their articles are quoted in others too. I've found that that's been a way to legitimize some of the aspects I've been dealing with. If it's in a medical journal, it's much harder for a medical professional to reject it out of hand. There IS documentation.

Check the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition for their resources too.