Important Survey - Please Participate ×

ceeelyns titration thread

[ce...]

AHA!, Oatmeal has 25 grm fiber per 1/2 cup dry. that will be my mid morning snack... and cut back on the metamucil. I have already cut back some....

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ce...]

• [el...]

• [si...]

• [Co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

AHA!, Oatmeal has 25 grm fiber per 1/2 cup dry. that will be my mid morning snack... and cut back on the metamucil. I have already cut back some....

Lyn, what kind of super oatmeal are you eating? lol!

Actually, it only has 4 grams of fiber oer 1/2 cup, but 25 grams of carbs, maybe that's what you were thinking of. What I do is ad a quarter cup of oat bran, which you can buy in bulk at health food store. Now that has 25 grams of fiber. Or around there. I'll double check. I think you can also buy it in a box at the grocery store. Or you can use wheat bran which is cheaper, but not as palatable. 

Metamucil was always very binding for me - i eat hodgson oat bran - that is pretty good and some of the kashish cerals have huge amounts of fiber - you have to check the side panel.

but if you like oatmeal - that is perfect and good for many things ;)

I am worried about titrating serq. and trying to titrate valium, is it best til I hit a roadblock,, then switch to titrating the valium?

My first taper, I started out on valium on too low a dose, I was on 1.5 mg xanax 3-4 times a day, and BI told me to go to 18 mg, which I did, I believe that was a big mistake....

anyway, when I was tapering then, I had BM's that sometimes was diarhhea, once in a while I would be a constipated a day or two...

I believe the HIGH doses I am on right now are whats causing the constipation. I dont know if any amount of nat. grain fibers will help. I wil look at the groc store tho.

I see what I read wrong on the oatmeal box.. what about bran?

Bran has much  fiber in it than plain oatmeal. I just add it to my oatmeal. I can't remember the exact amount of fiber it contains, I may have over estimated below.

Just look for oat bran or wheat bran at the grocery or health food store. It's usually near the jars of wheat germ.

Lyn,

Constipation can be a side effect of seroquel, prozac and valium.  Just keep adding more fiber rich foods into your diet and drink lots of water.  

As to tapering the seroquel and valium.  Please stop worrying about it.  You are on substantial doses of both meds.  I see no reason that you can't continue both the seroquel titration and your valium taper.  Just remember to take it easy, hold the cut if you need to.

XXXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

THANK YOU EVERYONE for responses.  Yes I know the drugs I am on are constipating, esp at this high dose, I am titrating 78 mg serq in the am, ( was at 84) and 33.75 from 35 on the valium tonite.... new sig line  I have to go to the store tomorrow will loook for  bran or wheat. I cut back on the metamucil today, we will see what happens. love to everyone. am home alone tonite as hubby is babysitting nephew.just another day. but will bring better things in 2008.

hi ceelyn - when i have problems i try to eat light - bran ceral is really good tho - if you are going to eat that is great as is salads and sipping hot water with lemon in it.

hope you are doing fine.

Metamucil works good for both diarhea and constipation.  If you are constipated you need to drink a lot of water and I mean a lot of water with it.  If you have diarrhea then you drink less water.  I had troubles early on in my taper, same as you, then it switched over to the other extreme.  It is  uncomfortable.  Prunes are good for constipation as well.  Sometimes a stool softener,non laxative, is helpful.  Janus

Hi Lyn,

Remember I told you to hold for a couple of weeks. It hasn't been that long yet!  Try and relax and take some deep breaths.  You can hold on Lyn.  It will get better.

XXXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

I see all bran has 13 g of fiber, Colin, what else do you eat for breakfast? I get really hungry, have not gained weight tho.

I usually eat Muesli - Alpen mostly, if you have the same brand.

Metamucil works good for both diarhea and constipation.  If you are constipated you need to drink a lot of water and I mean a lot of water with it.  If you have diarrhea then you drink less water.  I had troubles early on in my taper, same as you, then it switched over to the other extreme.  It is  uncomfortable.   Prunes are good for constipation as well.  Sometimes a stool softener,non laxative, is helpful.  Janus

Are you sure? I always thought it was important to make sure that you drink lots of water when suffering from diarrhoea because of dehydration!?

Metamucil works good for both diarhea and constipation.  If you are constipated you need to drink a lot of water and I mean a lot of water with it.  If you have diarrhea then you drink less water.  I had troubles early on in my taper, same as you, then it switched over to the other extreme.  It is  uncomfortable.   Prunes are good for constipation as well.  Sometimes a stool softener,non laxative, is helpful.  Janus

Are you sure? I always thought it was important to make sure that you drink lots of water when suffering from diarrhoea because of dehydration!?

I think Janus meant drink less WITH the metamucil, so it's more binding. But drink more at other times. thru-out the day :)

Sorry for the poor phrasing of post...Eljay was right...that was what I meant. 

But as a note of interest...I had incessant diarhhea for a while during my taper and my GI doc told me to drink chicken broth and a little gatorade and not a whole lot of water...because water encourages diarhea...so it is a tough balance.  He just would say:  "don't drink a whole lot of water."  It worked.  I used brown rice to bind me up and it helped. Knock on wood. 

Eljay was right....read my post in light of what she last wrote.  Janus

Yes, I read 'less' as meaning that we should reduce our water intake if we have diarrhoea. You just meant drink less than we would if we are constipated - I understand now.

Yes, I read 'less' as meaning that we should reduce our water intake if we have diarrhoea. You just meant drink less than we would if we are constipated - I understand now.

Ok Colin, not to butt in, but just to make sure you understood Janus, (and to make sure I did :laugh:) She just meant use less water for mixing with the metamucil. Not actually drink less water.

Janus, did I get that right?? :D

am doing good, changed sig line

from 58.75 mg val to 55 mg total started at75

serq changed on the1/1/08 to 78 in morning, total now 206mg started at 250

No really, my GI doc says that drinking a lot of water when you have diarhea encourages more.  Instead supplement with chicken broth, some water, and a bit of gatorade (not too much as it contains sugar which also encourages diarhhea).  So in essence:  if you are constipated, drink metamucil with lots of water with the metamucil and lots of water through the day.  If you have diarhea drink metamucil with less water and supplement with the above listed items including alittle water.  You can try it.  I don't know...he seems to know a lot and I trust him.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Janus