ceeelyns titration thread

[ce...]

Lynn,

I just looked up neuroleptic(seroquel) med withdrawal, and it stated that following long term use, it should be tapered 10% of original dose (what you are on now) over, believe it or not, ideally two to three months. I reread, it said months. I'm not sure what is meant by long term, probably more than 6m or a year.

How long have you been on?

I've only been on 6m, and have been tapering 25% every two weeks.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ce...]

• [el...]

• [si...]

• [Co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynn,

I just looked up neuroleptic(seroquel) med withdrawal, and it stated that following long term use, it should be tapered 10% of original dose (what you are on now) over, believe it or not, ideally two to three months. I reread, it said months. I'm not sure what is meant by long term, probably more than 6m or a year.

How long have you been on?

I've only been on 6m, and have been tapering 25% every two weeks.

Yikes Linda! :o

Perhaps that's why you aren't feeling so well right now. :-\

Many people say that it is recommended to taper one med at a time.  What does Breggins say about that?

Sandy :smitten:

Sandy, it could be.

Breggin does recommend one at a time, but he actually recommends doing the benzo last. Says it is the most difficult to wd from, so if you do it first, you might lose your resolve to get off the others, :laugh:

I just figured I haven't been on it (SQ) that long, and not at the high doses that are normally prescribed for more serious psychiatric conditions. Just for sleep.

I think I am finally stabilizing from whatever drug did it. All the symptoms I had yesterday are mostly gone, even rls, yay!

But I want off the SQ more than I want off of K!

I think I will make another SQ cut in a week or so if I remain stable, and then hold off on K til after Christmas.

Linda,

Actually I would want to get off the Seroquel first myself.  That's a very strong medication.  I was on that too.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

Hugs!

Sandy :smitten:

1) My tablets:

Paxil 30 mg

thyroid.  .075 mcg

Diazepam,, 10 mg. (that alll I can get)( 15 morn, 12.5 noon, 37.5 nite)

Serequel  I have some 200's, 100's, and 50's and about 30 25's... the  normal doseage the doctor will have me on is 100 morn, 50 noon, 100 nite

I tried dropping 25 mg, and hit the wall.

2) I have a 50 ml cylinder, a huge 250 ml and a medicine dropper, spoon like  that is 2 teaspoons, not marked in ml.

3) agaain, daily dose of serQ is 250,

seraquel is what stopped the panic attacks, please undertand these were not anxiety attacks, they were panic panic

I have been on it sincearound aug 15, upped dosage after leaving hospital ( i was there for three weeks,) from50, 50. and 100, went up to 100, 100, 100 as of 10/9

then up to 100, 100 and 200 at night, as of 10/16

Doctor dropped it back down on Oct 22 to 100, 100, 100 and increased valium.I hope I have answerred all your questions....thank you.

Lynn, 25mg seroquel would be 10% of your current dose, but some people need to make smaller reductions, maybe 5 percent. Can you cut your 25's in half? If I remember right when I had some 25's, that might be hard to do, since they small and roundish. Titration would be the way to go.

Linda :)

Colin, could you figure out a titration schedule for her seroquel based on 5% of 250mg? And based on the various mg. pills she has per her last message?

Are you sure you want to taper off the seroquel? Is it not helping anymore? I know that for insomnia, lower doses are actually more effective than higher doses, so maybe that goes for Panic attack too.

Please tell me what a PM is (I know it its personal message) but where do I find it???

AND YES i want to taper off seraqual...it is the worst one, with long term effects.

oh, the valium 10 mg is too small to cut also, and dr. wont give me 2mg or 5 mg. so I have to taper.  and yes I realize I may have to adjust my titration down to 5% on the serq.I "guess" I want to start with 10 %. OPINIONS????

I know what you mean. That's how I feel about seroquel. To pm someone, just click on their name to the left of a message, and scroll to the bottom of their personal info and click on "send a personal message" :)

eljay why would you ask me if I wanted to taper off seraqueal .. I thought the idea was to get people off the drug... is 250 a low enough dose that I can function, ie,think straight , not get confused, clumsy forgetful... were you on seraquel? did you taper off?

Lyn, It depends why you are on it. You said for panic attacks. In that case I feel more comfortable advising you. If it had been bipolar or schizophrenia, I would not want to advise you. 

Well, do YOU feel you can function at 250mgs? Do you think you can function without? personally, I think seroquel is overkill for the treatment of panic disorder.

I think you would be safe to attempt a slow taper. Have you tried cognitive therapy for your panic disorder? They say CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is more effective than meds in treating depression, anxiety and panic disorder. There are also some great cbt books.

I am tapering off seroquel currently. I was up as high as 200mg at one point, though not long. mostly 100mg. for 4 months. for insomnia. I have tapered every two or three weeks by 25mg. No problems, not even insomnia. Am on 50mg. currently.

Linda :)

thank you Linda, I would like more input from people about this. I f you are tapering off, then why shouldnt I?  th e valium just did not work to stop the panic attacks, they were on going, yes valium and paxil should have worked but they didnt

Colin, eljay, other mods? discussion please?

You can taper off! Before I knew it was for panic, I thought you might be bipolar or schizophrenic, and these are disorders that I believe should be medicated, to improve quality of life. some people with these disorders are completely disfunctional off meds, and they end up institutionalized, or in prison. So I"m glad you are not one!

I absolutely agree If that's what you want to do. Like I said, I think seroquel, especially at that dose, is overkill for your panic disorder.

Sometimes I'm not sure what you are saying though, please don't take offense! You say you want to get off, but you say it's the only thing that is stopping the panic.  If you go off, the panice attacks may return. Do you have a therapist? Are there any meditation classes in your area. This is very effective for anxiety and panic.

I just want to help you, so don't be mad!  :smitten:

The panics were so great that I went to ER 5 times in one month.Yes I have a therapist. she is great. I may have to stop if they come back.

more feedback please.

any mods have input?

eljay you say you tapered alll the way  with 25 mg cuts? ? All I have is 50 and 100 mg tabs which will be too small to cut, I will have to titrate. are you on anything else?,, I still need a schedule...for titration. thank you and NO I aam not mad, Anxiety I could handle, it was true panic that wouldnt stop even when I was in the hospital, It was so great I slit my wrists to get into the hospital.... sighhhhh sorry to admit it

thank you for listening...

The panics were so great that I went to ER 5 times in one month.Yes I have a therapist. she is great. I may have to stop if they come back.

more feedback please.

Lynn,

I can understand why Linda is hesitant to advise you on this.  You need to understand that this is a forum that can help give recommendations on how to taper off of benzos safely, not SSRIs or Anti-Psychotics for that matter.  I don't know what else Linda could possibly tell you that she hasn't already.  This is something you really need to discuss with your doctor Lynn.  He should be able to help you get off the Seroquel if he indeed feels you are ready.

Sandy :)

Hi,

It is indeed difficult for use to give you advice about meds that are outside of our immediate area of experience. There are few members here with experience of Seroquil, so it is an unknown to us. Discussion about drugs other than benzos is allowed here, but benzos are what we are we really know about. As I have said, I can put together a titration table for you, so long as you supply me with the information needed. I still do not know what graduations are marked on your 50ml cylinder. Also, I don't think anyone here is qualified to advise you about an appropriate taper rate for Seroquil. I am relieved to learn that you are not taking Seroquil for something like Bipolar, as quitting under those circumstances could be very problematical.

Ceeelyn, you need to understand our limitations - we are just a group of people with benzodiazepine dependency in common. We do not know all the complexities of your situation, and even if we did, we are not professionals; we are here to help support each other the best we can, that's all. We will try our best to help you, but we do not have all the answers.

You will need to discuss your taper rate with someone that can give you solid advice - your doctor should be your starting point. You might then look up information for yourself. Based on the taper rate you supply me (and so long as you supply me with the graduations (the scale) on the cylinder), I can then work a titration table for you.

Take care.

I have consulted with my doctor and yes I want to titrate, I want to start with 12.5 mg.  dr. says stay where I am. I understand your position, just get me the schedule and I will do it...I thank you and completely understand...

love, Lynn