I Got My Life Back – Thank God!

[Th...]

Theway2

Have you tried herbatonin?

Did it work for sleep for you ?

I tried 1 last night and it

seemed to keep me asleep.

But I’m still on 1mg cloz per day.

my dose cloz started (half that) last June.

Thx

Yes, I just started it about 1 month ago.  I use the 0.3mg dose and only take it on nights when I have trouble falling asleep.  It seems to work well but I am also 3.5 years off of a CT.

I sleep pretty good most nights with or without Herbatonin.  It seems to help me fall asleep quicker a few times per month when I might have some trouble falling asleep.

Unfortunately if you are still on the K-pin, you will most likely have all sorts of sleep issues until and then for some time after you are completely off.  I wish I had better news, but for most the lower you go on your dose, the more intense the sleep issues and other symptoms become?  That's why most do a really slow taper...to minimize the sleep issues and other symptoms.

The reason why not much else short of another Rx drug will help induce sleep is because your body's "brake pedal" (GABA) or what makes you calm and relaxed is temporarily off-line.  The Benzo does the job of your GABA so when you make a cut or quit CT (not recommended) your GABA is in "limbo" for some time until it can figure out how to repair and function on its own.  When you reach tolerance, the drug doesn't work at the current dose and your GABA doesn't work either as the Benzo did the work for it in the past--so you get symptoms and poor sleep.

Glutamate is another nervous system receptor that is your body's "gas pedal."  It makes you active and alert and sometimes invokes the fight or flight response.  Normally the two are in a balancing act so one doesn't overtake the other.  But when the Benzo stops working and your own GABA doesn't know how to function (temporarily), then Glutamate takes over and you feel wired all the time.  As you know this makes it very hard to get much sleep.  After the Benzo is completely removed your body knows how to repair the damage and get GABA functioning on its own again.

That's why Ashton says it takes 6-12 months after you are off for insomnia to resolve for most.  Some take longer, some take less time.  But don't let that scare you.  Your body will get all the sleep it needs before something bad can happen to you until things even out.  Just take whatever sleep your brain will give you each night.  Sleep returns like the stock market for most.  Very UP and DOWN.  One step forward 2 steps back.  But it does even out.  I had 9 hours this past Friday and Saturday.  Not saying that to "rub it in" but to let you know it does return.  It just takes Time and more time.   

Thanks ThE.

Excellent post as always . Sleep or rather the lack of it is a major issue for most of us . There seems to be a message out there that if you don't get 8 to 9 good hours in lullaby land you are doomed . This is not true . I grew up in England with my family telling tales of survival through almost five years of  wartime nightly bombings and constant anxiety . Sleep was at a premium . All of these family members lived to ripe old ages . One of my uncles actually made it to 102 before he fell off the perch .

Thanks Brave Rabbit!

I was "scolded" by some 8 hours or else people on the insomnia board.

I was told 8 hours is required or else....as you so well stated, it's all alarmism, posturing and lies. 

People can survive on whatever sleep their body will give them until sleep evens out and returns and that holds true even if it takes years!

102....wow, that's awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
this is such a great story, the way2! i am really appreciating the help you are giving me. i am so happy for you that you have your life back. i get moments of that, i guess they call them windows and then i get knocked down again. i guess that's a wave? and it's so hard to believe that i will get my life back. it is hard to be doing this in the middle of a pandemic and yes, sometimes i think that getting sick and dying would be okay, because then i could sleep. but your story gives me real faith that i am on the right path. i don't want to take anything at all now. i am just going to be gentle with myself and take it slow and get exercise every day and believe that i will get better eventually. the nights when i get 6/7 hours are like little gifts from heaven.  and reminders of what life could be like, and from now on i will say: what life WILL be like! thanks for still being here and responding. i thank god for you!

You are so welcome.  That is the purpose of success stories...to give others hope and encouragement.

I never thought I would heal or would be able to sleep on my own without taking something.  I sleep pretty well now pretty much every night.

You'll get there too.  You are doing very well for the short time you've been off. 

6-7 hour nights are good nights for me too, even this far off.  I usually get 6-8 hours most nights and sometimes 9-10 hours (usually on the weekends).  In the past I was only getting 5-10 hours per week!

Be positive, be grateful for any and all sleep and try not to worry about sleeping or not (I know that's hard to do).  It slowly comes back, but it can be all over the map, good some nights then bad again.  Eventually it all evens out.

• 1 month later...
I am currently 8 months out & I am really starting to freak out & have been feeling very depressed lately as I wake up to my new sick self. I have to say this story has made me look at the light at the end of the tunnel again. I had lost hope but after your sick for sveral months its hard to keep hope up. I want to thank you for taking the time to write this success story. It really helps to read how others have healed. I will remain hopeful & maybe one day my day will come when I can write my success story. Enjoy your life! <3

Hi Wewillheal,

Yes, your name says it all.  You WILL HEAL!

Hang in there.  I know I thought I would never heal and I'll be 4 years off next month.

You'll get there too.  Focus on the positive things...if you had windows in the past, no matter how brief, you'll have them again.

• 4 weeks later...
TheWay2, do you find that the plant paradox diet is very helpful for anyone even those not withdrawing? Are you still on the diet? Before I realized I was having difficulty with an antidepressant and anti-anxiety med, a family from church told me that they follow the plant paradox diet and even gave me the book. I have not read it as I have very little brain power, so I use the little I do have to read The Bible. But, the family did the phases of the diet and have told me that it is a very beneficial diet good for all stomach issues, nervous system issues, mood, and just functioning in general.

Hi IcyPeppermint112,

Yes, I am still on a modified form of the Plant Paradox diet.  I say a "modified" form as I incorporate a lot of what Dr. Gundry suggests along with some other modifications such as only eating 8 hours per day and then "fasting" the other 16 hours.  I have an 8 hour "window" in which I eat each day and then stop eating for 16 hours.  You can pick the 8 hours.  I normally eat between 10 am and 6 pm.

This protocol seems to really work well for me and should be healthy for anyone regardless of whether they are in WD or not?

Reading the Bible is good too.  I listen to the Bible from my phone via an app.  :)

God Bless and please know that I am praying for healing and wellness for you!

Thanks Trina,

I feel like it's the least I can do to help others get through Benzo WD.  It was by far the worst experience of my life and I know it was/is for most others too?

Plus I truly want to "pay it forward" and help by being positive and encouraging!

[81...]

Hi way2!

Finished my second taper a month ago and like you I only took this poison for only 5 months. Tried other stuff also short time and low dose. Couldn't stand anything. The last two years have only been tapering this crap. You are right about diet. I cut carbohidrates big time and seems to work. My problem is more mental ,intrusive thought , anxiety and tinnitus.

I just wanted to ask you what type of tinnitus did you get. Mine is the pulsatil. I can hear my heart beat in my left ear.

Please let me know how's your experience with it and also the intrusive thoughs.

Thanks for be patient with us.

You are a nice human being!

Mice

your story gives me hope..  my taper ends in 6 days and hope the heal 100%.

Kry123,

Congratulations on getting off of the drugs.  Let the healing begin!  You'll cross the finish line one day!  :thumbsup:

Hi way2!

Finished my second taper a month ago and like you I only took this poison for only 5 months. Tried other stuff also short time and low dose. Couldn't stand anything. The last two years have only been tapering this crap. You are right about diet. I cut carbohidrates big time and seems to work. My problem is more mental ,intrusive thought , anxiety and tinnitus.

I just wanted to ask you what type of tinnitus did you get. Mine is the pulsatil. I can hear my heart beat in my left ear.

Please let me know how's your experience with it and also the intrusive thoughs.

Thanks for be patient with us.

You are a nice human being!

Mice

Mice,

Congrats on finishing your second taper.

Yes, I totally agree that diet plays a huge role in our overall health in general and with going through WD

I had sound sensitivity along with a loud ringing in both ears, I could not feel my pulse in my ears though.  It was very noticeable for about 6 months and then faded over another 6 months so at around 1 year it was mostly gone.  The intrusive thoughts were very strange.  It felt like "something" was trying to take over my mind and my thoughts and random thoughts would come to me.  Most of them were along the lines of something from the distant past or felt "evil" in nature.  They were not something I would normally think about.  Eventually those faded too.

You'll get there.  It might not seem like it right now, but you will.  Hang in there.  It gets better! 

ThEwAy2, I credit your post for saving my life. I was put on pharma meds to "break the cycle" of my severe, sudden insomnia. Doctors told me that if I could just get some sleep on meds, then I'd break the cycle of anxiety about not sleeping and would be able to sleep. They were very wrong. I could feel my brain fighting back against being forced to sleep (via meds) before it was ready. I wish I had read your post before I got on these meds. What I needed was just to suffer through some sleepless nights and be grateful for any microsleeps I got while my brain slowly healed and learned to sleep again. Any meds I took only delayed my healing and hurt my brain further.  Knowing that I could survive with some nights of no or very little sleep, and that this would be part of my healing, was so crucial. I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you so much for all you do. Please pray for my continued healing as I have a ways to go still.

Hi AnxiousAnn,

So glad my story was able to help you.  I will certainly be praying for continued and rapid healing for you.

Hang in there, it evens out and ends one day!  You've got this!  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

As I approach 1525 days off, I just wanted to encourage those still in the thick of their WD that things slowly improve and get better.

Time will heal you, but it will most likely be a real roller coaster ride until things finally even out for good

Hang in there, you'll cross the finish line one day!

Absolutely fantastic story and well told. I am at the considering FMLA point but I have children as well and feel that despite some added stress of a job, the distractions of work will help me. Thank yuo so much for sharing this and enjoy!

As I approach 1525 days off, I just wanted to encourage those still in the thick of their WD that things slowly improve and get better.

Time will heal you, but it will most likely be a real roller coaster ride until things finally even out for good

Hand in there, you'll cross the finish line one day!

Hello ThEwAy2,

Sending you my heartfelt thank you for continuing to stay in the forum. Although  you have already reached your healing and have written your success story, you continue to answer questions that are asked of you and provide positive words and encouragement to those of us still struggling. Your knowledge in the insomnia department and constant prayers are also very much appreciated.

May you continue to receive peace, joy and wellness in your well deserved happy life.

Blessings!

Pi