Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Do NOT worry about sleep. I am a person who went CT off a lot of benzos. I did not sleep normally for about a year, maybe a bit longer. But because I am also an RN, I Army studies proved long ago that POWS were denied sleep by their captors. But they did NOT die. Why??? Because the brain does something truly amazing. It blanks out for a few seconds, preventing death from lack of sleep. After a while, you may even notice those moments. Relax a bit my friend. This wont kill you, but YES its a terrible thing to go through.

east

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

This may sound silly, but a strong cup of chamomile tea will help a lot. And no morning grogginess. I still use it. It's called "nature's benzo" for a reason.

;)

I tapered Ambien and it was hard. But there are things that helped: melatonin (low dose), chamomile tea and if you are desperate, Unisom Sleep Tabs. But the latter leave you feeling groggy in the morning, and really, you're just substituting one pill/chemical dependency for another. Still, once in a while if you get desperate . . .

I also listened to the audio of about a million youtube sleep music videos. Very calming.

I feel for you Z-drug taperers. I was there. But sleep will come back.

Katz

Do NOT worry about sleep. I am a person who went CT off a lot of benzos. I did not sleep normally for about a year, maybe a bit longer. But because I am also an RN, I Army studies proved long ago that POWS were denied sleep by their captors. But they did NOT die. Why??? Because the brain does something truly amazing. It blanks out for a few seconds, preventing death from lack of sleep. After a while, you may even notice those moments. Relax a bit my friend. This wont kill you, but YES its a terrible thing to go through.

east

Thank you so much.

I didnt see the post because I was not in here. I worry about a lot of things, it seems.

Its like I dont have the strange to cope with w/d symtoms. I get so worried when something new shows up. And I live alone.

This may sound silly, but a strong cup of chamomile tea will help a lot. And no morning grogginess. I still use it. It's called "nature's benzo" for a reason.

;)

I tapered Ambien and it was hard. But there are things that helped: melatonin (low dose), chamomile tea and if you are desperate, Unisom Sleep Tabs. But the latter leave you feeling groggy in the morning, and really, you're just substituting one pill/chemical dependency for another. Still, once in a while if you get desperate . . .

I also listened to the audio of about a million youtube sleep music videos. Very calming.

I feel for you Z-drug taperers. I was there. But sleep will come back.

Katz

Thank you Katz. Did you feel like a zombie even if you have slept? Some nights I sleep on the dose Im tapering on, some not so good, but this night I fell aslepp and slept  6 hours at least. Althoug I feel wierd today. Ive been on this dose for 13 days thougt I would stabilized.

I stopped camomille last week because I read it messes with GABA?

Personally, I would NEVER take an SSRI again, no matter what. I truly believe they are "garbage drugs", designed ONLY to make money for the drug companies. In MY case, all of my depressive symptoms turned out to be  caused by the benzos I was also taking. I did not know about tolerance WD and the symptoms it causes. I used to have many weird symptoms and doctor after doctor could find nothing wrong, so they told me I might have: fibromyalgia, CFS, MS , Parkinsons and even Lou Gehrigs Disease. What a load of crap! ALL of my old symtpoms went away - including depression AND anxiety - once I got off benzos.

You guys need to know that SSRIs ALSO can have nasty withdrawals.

In my mind, getting off benzos was just the beginning. I will NEVER take another psych drug again, unless I have a true terminal illness and then it will not matter.

east

East, I have fibromyalgi, now worse in tapering. Do you remember if you went worse when tapering Ambien? I ask because I dont understand my "w d cycle". Ive just decreased the dose very little 1 mg max per cut (no scale) twice with about two weeks between. Tapering is a month now, dont know why I feel worse now and so small cuts? Did you have the same problems, if you remember?

2for, I always felt like a zombie when I "slept" on Ambien. Groggy until noon or so. And unsteady on me feet. Horrid. Now . . . nope!

My cuts were maybe too big, but I very badly wanted off. And I'm glad I persisted. I did not sleep much as I was tapering the drug. Ugh. But I slept 7 hours last night and felt good when I woke up. So, it's very much worth it.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Hi Everyone,

I’d like to introduce myself.  I am 76 years old and have just begun a water titration taper from Lorazepam. I have been taking 2 mg nightly for 25 years.  I now put two 1 mg tablets in 300 ml of distilled water and draw off 1ml additional each day.  Today I will draw off 10 ml since it is Jan. 10 and I began this taper on New Years Day.  On 75 days, I will be at 1.5 dosage.  I’ll pause there and reassess.

Went through this two years ago and got to 1mg by using water titration.  Then I just gradually drifted back to 2mg.  This time I am determined to do this.  Others have,  I can too.  I am so grateful to have found BB and feel more confident that with the support, knowledge and experience of this community, I can press on.  The loneliness I felt at my last attempt was debilitating in itself.  I spent the greater part of yesterday reading the posts from this group...all 60-some pages of them.  I can’t tell you how it warmed my heart to know my age peers were experiencing the same symptoms, thoughts, emotions as I.  I am not alone.  You are all here.  Thank you for sharing your courage, vulnerability and great honesty in order to help such a “loner” as myself feel not so alone.❤️

Congratulations, Ghislaine for wanting to get off this drug and for coming as far as you have.

Just a piece of information -- lorazepam and other benzos are not soluble in water. While people HAVE reduced their benzo this way, it is really better to dissolve the drug in about 1 mg of alcohol (vodka will do -- I used that) and then add water. That way the benzo will be truly dissolved and uniformly dispersed in your water solution. Otherwise it just floats around in the water mix, or sinks to the bottom with the pill's binders and fillers, and who knows how much of the drug you are actually reducing.

Yup, we've all been through "the wringer" here, and we'll happily support you as you reduce. You don't mention that you are having rotten s/x and that's good. Your taper rate is evidently okay.

Come back and let us now how you are doing.

Best of luck,

:smitten:

Katz

Thank you, oregonkatz, for the information about dissolving the lorazepam in alcohol first and then adding water.  I want to do this tapering as accurately as possible and a solution vs. a suspension can make a big difference.  Yes, you are correct about no symptoms yet.  It’s early days but I hope it continues.

Hello Ghislaine, i am 67,soon to be 68. I am not familiar with your medication or tapering process(I am tapering off 1.5 mg clonazepam 17 year use), but I can offer you my experience. I went off too fast at the beginning and have had a very hard taper. I started in April, by cutting 1/3 of my dose. I held 6 weeks and tried a weekly 10% reduction. I had to updose by 25% and have been holding that dose for three months. I have had a bit of improvement, but I am still basically non functional. I started out thinking I was in good shape and I could handle it. If I had it to do over, I would test the waters first. I would taper 5%, hold, and see what happens. It is easier to speed it up if all goes well than to reverse the damage after it slams you all at once. I do not believe I would be suffering like I am, if I had known this could happen to me. No matter how old or young, how long, or why the meds were taken, there is no way to predict how much trouble you will have coming off. Everyone is different. I am not trying to scare you. I believe suffering can be prevented. I didn’t have to get to this place. Please accept this for what it is worth. I am not an expert. Best to you, Esperanza

I am almost 60 I nine months out still suffering with anxiety but it getting better. I taking remron and 22  days on Wellbutrin 150 xl has help me With depression and anxiety since I married and have adult children I need to be functional eventually I will stop Remeron and Wellbutrin. I asked the doctor to rx prescribe something other than ssri or snri It’s my understanding Wellbutrin is Milder antidepressant A and less hassle to taper off any thoughts on that from anyone?

Hello Ghislaine, i am 67,soon to be 68. I am not familiar with your medication or tapering process(I am tapering off 1.5 mg clonazepam 17 year use), but I can offer you my experience. I went off too fast at the beginning and have had a very hard taper. I started in April, by cutting 1/3 of my dose. I held 6 weeks and tried a weekly 10% reduction. I had to updose by 25% and have been holding that dose for three months. I have had a bit of improvement, but I am still basically non functional. I started out thinking I was in good shape and I could handle it. If I had it to do over, I would test the waters first. I would taper 5%, hold, and see what happens. It is easier to speed it up if all goes well than to reverse the damage after it slams you all at once. I do not believe I would be suffering like I am, if I had known this could happen to me. No matter how old or young, how long, or why the meds were taken, there is no way to predict how much trouble you will have coming off. Everyone is different. I am not trying to scare you. I believe suffering can be prevented. I didn’t have to get to this place. Please accept this for what it is worth. I am not an expert. Best to you, Esperanza

Hi everyone

I am 61 ( can hardly believe it )  I was thinking that it would be good to talk to people who are 60 or over to see if we have similar symptoms/ problems etc.

I know that we shouldn't really compare because everyone is different but I think that it would be interesting.

I suppose that I am also worried about going through this horrible experience at 61.

Any thoughts or feelings would be great!

Thanks

Liz

Thank you, Esperanza, for sharing your experience with tapering.  Ironically, I was on the LONG TAPER board just before I read your message.  I hear you 100%. I think I have done damage to my body given my age and duration of use.  I want to keep further trauma to a minimum, and I know those symptoms can be very traumatic.  I have experienced them full bore during two separate episodes when I had no supply.  I thought I was going to die.  To stay at around 5% cut sounds like good advice.

Hi Ghislaine,

I am trying to come off Zopiclone after 12 years, doctor retired and new one won't give me any more, or let me switch to diazapam as apparently much easier to taper. Tablets are tiny I currently take 1/4 one a night but impossible to cut any smaller. So only way is to gradually cut out 1 night a week. Now in week 7 and down to 5 nights a week. Going through hell at the moment, but seems a pretty common reaction to withdrawal. It does help to make you feel you aren't alone reading others posts. No light at then end of the tunnel yet but hoping things will eventually improve!

Bless you, Leann.  The awful truth is that we need these drugs in order to get off them.  Somewhere I read to think of them as tools in recovery rather than evil demons.  These doctors have a lot of power in their ability to prescribe or not.  When the supply is diminished, our options are fewer.  Advice I have read from others here is to try to find a doc who understands withdrawal and will go the distance with your directing the pace.  Pretty hard to find but they must be around.

SO-O-O much good luck to you on this journey.

Ghislaine❤️

Great post esp. love ya, Mary

Hi Ghislaine,

I am trying to come off Zopiclone after 12 years, doctor retired and new one won't give me any more, or let me switch to diazapam as apparently much easier to taper. Tablets are tiny I currently take 1/4 one a night but impossible to cut any smaller. So only way is to gradually cut out 1 night a week. Now in week 7 and down to 5 nights a week. Going through hell at the moment, but seems a pretty common reaction to withdrawal. It does help to make you feel you aren't alone reading others posts. No light at then end of the tunnel yet but hoping things will eventually improve!

Leann I think you should find a dr who can prescribe Zopiclone. If you been on them for so long you will need to taper. Have you managed to taper in 7 weeks and are having w d every day? What w d symtoms do you have?

Im tapering and Im struggling.

Happy January ❄ I'm happy to say I've made some good progress in getting back to the normal Me.....I was trapped in a weird vortex of food cravings but able to stop it entirely from reading & applying "Brain Over Binge" by Kathryn Hansen

I'm enjoying colors,patterns again and look forward to shopping for a few cute outfits.I still have to make myself leave home,I hate this irrational looping thinking about leaving  just to get errands run,and hope over time I can conquer it.Thank all that is holy we have the options to buy online & delivered to the front door in the meantime! 

I have optimism and feel very well.Good sleep is critical for me to function and not look/act like a zombie or lunatic, so I have spent all these months experimenting in what stacks work consistently.

I lurk and read a lot of posts....Mary, I enjoy reading your posts as I am tucked into the quilts and have happy puppies 🐕 🐕 🐕 🐶

burrowed under.

Don't give up, we do get brain rewiring with time and practice.

SfD

Happy January ❄ I'm happy to say I've made some good progress in getting back to the normal Me.....I was trapped in a weird vortex of food cravings but able to stop it entirely from reading & applying "Brain Over Binge" by Kathryn Hansen

I'm enjoying colors,patterns again and look forward to shopping for a few cute outfits.I still have to make myself leave home,I hate this irrational looping thinking about leaving  just to get errands run,and hope over time I can conquer it.Thank all that is holy we have the options to buy online & delivered to the front door in the meantime! 

I have optimism and feel very well.Good sleep is critical for me to function and not look/act like a zombie or lunatic, so I have spent all these months experimenting in what stacks work consistently.

I lurk and read a lot of posts....Mary, I enjoy reading your posts as I am tucked into the quilts and have happy puppies 🐕 🐕 🐕 🐶

burrowed under.

Don't give up, we do get brain rewiring with time and practice.

SfD

Hey S/D. Glad you are progressing and feeling bettter.  There's my happy dog 🐶. Have an appointment early this morning but I will be back on when I get home.  Love you 🐶🐾🐾🐾🐾

I want to say that I read all this post. Thankfull for this site.

Helped me through this very difficult time.

I am 63 years old now.

Thanks everybody!