Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

[a7...]
Oliviamarie i feel similar to you, i'm 64 and 12 months off V, feel like my life is over, chaotic cascade of medical negligence during my taper caused me to have a stroke, i have recovered mostly but my voice has not, i was a classical singer and can no longer sing, and can't teach voice coaching any more as i can't demonstrate to my students what is required. I feel the dr that gave me the benzo took my life away with no accountability. Husband is now telling me that i'm mentally ill, that it's no longer wd, despite me not having any mental health issues before. I have bad dp/dr so perhaps i am mentally ill now. Feel very lost and drifting, i had a reasonable window last night but of course it slammed shut this morning and another tirade from husband ensued. He has Aspergers so empathy has always been non existent, i often wonder if i left him would my sxs improve, but i feel way too sick to leave and have nowhere to go anyway. Sorry for the pity party.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wondering who in their 60s and older started in acute and has had that for years still not off.  If so, why are you getting off and is it worth it?  How did you get stable if you are not?

[a7...]
I didn't have any choice to get off, i stupidly took the V which was inappropriately prescribed for muscle spasm 6 weeks prior to spinal surgery for a growth in my spinal canal. After the successsful surgery i was told to just stop, all hell broke loose, had to reinstate, was tapered way too quickly by same idiot clueless dr, had a stroke as a result and have been pretty much in hell since. Now 12 months off and still suffering.

I didn't have any choice to get off, i stupidly took the V which was inappropriately prescribed for muscle spasm 6 weeks prior to spinal surgery for a growth in my spinal canal. After the successsful surgery i was told to just stop, all hell broke loose, had to reinstate, was tapered way too quickly by same idiot clueless dr, had a stroke as a result and have been pretty much in hell since. Now 12 months off and still suffering.

Wow that is awful and you had no choice I can see that.  Had stroke on the crappy taper off?  How much V did he put you on?

Thank you Soupfordinner. Every word of encouragement is a blessing. I am praying Christmas dinner goes well, and no drama. I do not want to be in panic, ruin the day and be the unwelcome focus of my grown children's dinner all together. Oh how I truly hate the anxiety, the fear to exercise, the agoraphobia, the insomnia and especially the heart palpitations. All of which have ramped up since this past cut. I am not going to updose. But I think my cuts outpaced my healing. Heading over to success stories thread to help my state of mind.......

[a7...]

BarbaraAve I was only on 2.5mg V and must be v sensitive to it, yeah v crappy taper by crap Dr, I was lucky in that the Dr's at the hospital were totally  believing it was the wd that caused it, they didn't have much choice as I had no history of heart problems which had been proved by massive lot of cardiac tests before and after the op. One thing's for sure and that is I'm not afraid of dying anymore, LOL!

Another toxic wake up this morning and have to start my Christmas with a 6hr trip to my son's in laws, he got engaged on the weekend so I'll have to try and make excuses for why I can't drink, oh god, not to mention all the food I can't eat to avoid getting revved up, understand you perfectly Joyatlast.

Hope everyone gets through Xmas ok with some semblance of a "good time ".

Joyatlast, I am just going to butt in here and say something.

But I think my cuts outpaced my healing

Oh, my goodness! Yes!! IMO those cuts were way, way too big. No wonder you feel terrible.

If I were you, I would look up The Ashton Manual and follow her reduction schedule, especially now that you are at a lower figure. When I was at your dose, I reduced no more than 5% every 3 or 4 weeks. I am a total weenie and had to go very slowly. Oh, my gosh, what your poor brain has been through!! Who on earth was guiding your reduction schedule?

Would you consider a hold to let your healing catch up with your latest cut? Your brain is registering not only that, but also all the (too large) cuts before the latest one. It's crying out for relief. Holds don't always work, but if it were me, I would sure try one. Holds also take the pressure off you psychologically . . . and I believe that half of this tapering is a mental struggle.

Wishing you the best over this Christmas holiday, joy. Then, in the New Year, maybe make a new plan?

Sending warm thoughts your way,  :smitten: :smitten:

Katz

soupfordinner...  that is a great name! :laugh:

Look at her avatar Barbara, happiest dog ever  :D

Hi Ladies,

Happy Puppy says Merry Christmas!

My name is from the only thing I could barely eat after jumping.

My New Year's wish is for all of us here to heal fast and flourish.

Ha, chicken veggie soup has been my staple the last 2 years if I can make it.

Yes, very down today hopefully better this next year...  all of us.

Merry Christmas Katz, BarbaraAve , and Soupfordinner, I know we don't touch base often, but I just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you today, love everyone, especially the happy dog! Mary

🙏☮️❤️ 🎄🎁🎵🎶🐕    :D

I turned 70 in October.  Jaw, neck and shoulder pain ...radiating down to my spine.  I was in a car accident in 1991 and my Jaw and Pelvis was broken and Jaw dislocated, Pelvis was displaced.  Jaw pain was always there but now it's 10x worse with this taper.  And I'm only at 10mg of Valium.  Still a way to go.  Starting Liquid Taper tomorrow tapering 1/2 mg a month!  I hope that is slow enough.  My BP was spiking super high on the Ashton Method, so I had no choice but to go slower.  Well, I've been on HOLD for 6 weeks.  BP is stabilizing and I sleep better but not every night.  But I don't want to be on this Valium any longer than I absolutely have to. 

When I am awake at night and listening to Scripture, I pray for all of you.  I beg the LORD for healing for you all and STRENGTH as He walks us through these storms.

I turned 70 in October.  Jaw, neck and shoulder pain ...radiating down to my spine.  I was in a car accident in 1991 and my Jaw and Pelvis was broken and Jaw dislocated, Pelvis was displaced.  Jaw pain was always there but now it's 10x worse with this taper.  And I'm only at 10mg of Valium.  Still a way to go.  Starting Liquid Taper tomorrow tapering 1/2 mg a month!  I hope that is slow enough.  My BP was spiking super high on the Ashton Method, so I had no choice but to go slower.  Well, I've been on HOLD for 6 weeks.  BP is stabilizing and I sleep better but not every night.  But I don't want to be on this Valium any longer than I absolutely have to. 

When I am awake at night and listening to Scripture, I pray for all of you.  I beg the LORD for healing for you all and STRENGTH as He walks us through these storms.

Seems we are bumping into each other all over the boards today...thank you for praying for us.  I write short gratitude notes to the Universe every morning in my notebook 📓 and BB is always there.

Great minds  :D;) Mary

Hope, what about marijuana for pain and insomnia? You cold try a 50:50 like AC/DC. I made a tincture -- I didn't want to smoke. Took it in a bit of juice.

Just an idea. MJ helped me a lot. I broke my tailbone and was in serious pain for a long time.

Katz

oregonkatz,

Thanks for the suggestion but I bought CBD extract, took 2 tiny drops, THROAT SWELLED SHUT.  Had to go to ER.  Severe allergic reaction.  So that's out.  I tried a couple of drags from pot back in the 80s and I could not urinate for 9 hours!  I'm violently allergic.

Hi. Im 60 years  and feel so lonely in this tapering. My mood is low, some days its better, but mostly I feel depressed. I think it would be easier to taper when you are younger, thats how I see it. When you dont have a spouse or boyfriend and not a big social life, mabye had some or have some healtissues, no work, (I lost my job may 2017) its harder. I have a couple of friends and a daughter who is 39 years old. But I still feel lonely.

Im tapering Zopiclone now. Did a too fast taper on Oxazepam but I didnt know better. Do you ladies feel depression too? I hope its the tapering as some days are better than for instance, what today is like.

Zopiclone. Cut from 12.5 mg to 11 mg and hold for 12 days. Then a new cut so now I take about 9.5 mg and this is day 8. I dont have scale. Ordered one but it was boken...

Thank you for reading. Im from Sweden.

Hi. Im 60 years  and feel so lonely in this tapering. My mood is low, some days its better, but mostly I feel depressed. I think it would be easier to taper when you are younger, thats how I see it. When you dont have a spouse or boyfriend and not a big social life, mabye had some or have some healtissues, no work, (I lost my job may 2017) its harder. I have a couple of friends and a daughter who is 39 years old. But I still feel lonely.

Im tapering Zopiclone now. Did a too fast taper on Oxazepam but I didnt know better. Do you ladies feel depression too? I hope its the tapering as some days are better than for instance, what today is like.

Zopiclone. Cut from 12.5 mg to 11 mg and hold for 12 days. Then a new cut so now I take about 9.5 mg and this is day 8. I dont have scale. Ordered one but it was boken...

Thank you for reading. Im from Sweden.

2forone, hi, my name is Mary.  I think we all feel lonely.  This is a hard road to travel, trying to taper benzo's, especially for people that live alone.  I do have a husband which I am very grateful for, but I am still here from  7 in the morning to 6 at night.  I think the tapering, feeling bad, makes us all feel alone, because so few people understand.  The nasty chemicals running around our body and brain.  It will pass, we just have to tell ourselves that over and over.  Reach out to me or anywhere you feel comfortable on this board.  We all understand that feeling and will be here for you.  I'm from the US :)

Mary

Hi, I totally agree with what Mary said. It is very lonely. Your friends and family cannot really understand what you are going through. I have checked in the forum more than ever over the past few days just to have some human contact. You can always pm me for support. Esperanza

Thank you Mary, and Esperanza, Im so gratefull.

Its strange (but I think its common)  one day I feel depressed all day, then next day not (or just a couple of hours). Do you feel the same?

Thank you Mary, and Esperanza, Im so gratefull.

Its strange (but I think its common)  one day I feel depressed all day, then next day not (or just a couple of hours). Do you feel the same?

Mine really depends on back pain or migraines, if I can make through the day without too much pain, I'm pretty good at keeping my depression under control.  If not, then it can be a few hours or a couple days.