Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

5  my spiritual practice  Think of three things I’m grateful for in the morning and I read a lesson from ACIM and use the idea  from it throughput the day as a kind of mantra)

Hello, if you are still around here - how's it going with the Course? How has it applied to your recovery? Looks like you were on a high dosage of K - same as mine. I've been trying to stay with the Course as well as meditate but it's quite difficult to focus. Peace -

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

New to the group and turning 60 this month.

Have tapered off of two major medications, remeron and lamictal in the past 3/12 years.  Was recently put on benzos, Dec

2018 after my  Lamictal taper went wrong. 

I feel scared about the benzo taper. I was on them in 2013 and weaned myself off not knowing how to do it.  Went on Lamical in2014 and it stopped the benzo wd symptoms. 

Anyway, I just need to know there is hope that at 60, I can get off these benzos and overcome the medication agoraphobia that has happed in the last 4 months.

Thanks.

Hi,

New to the group and turning 60 this month.

Have tapered off of two major medications, remeron and lamictal in the past 3/12 years.  Was recently put on benzos, Dec

2018 after my  Lamictal taper went wrong. 

I feel scared about the benzo taper. I was on them in 2013 and weaned myself off not knowing how to do it.  Went on Lamical in2014 and it stopped the benzo wd symptoms. 

Anyway, I just need to know there is hope that at 60, I can get off these benzos and overcome the medication agoraphobia that has happed in the last 4 months.

Thanks.

There are many of us in our 60's on bb.  Yes you can heal and we are here with you, so read around the forum, especially success stories, list of topics on home page.  Ask any questions you need to.  Welcome.  Mary 💜🙏☮️💜🙏☮️

Thank you for your welcome Mary. 

I'm glad I found the group.  I do read a lot of success stories, which are inspiring. 

Benzos make me depressed so my fear level has been very high about being able to do this. 

Thank you again.

You can do this, Final.  I, too, am over 60. Well over 60. I won't say my taper was a walk in the park, but it was do-able. I went verrrrrrry verrrrrrry slowly. I think that's the key. As well as being in control of your taper. Don't let a doctor or a psychiatrist or a spouse dictate how fast you will reduce.

I had some "agoraphobia" on my taper, but it was just looniness. I was afraid that something would go wrong with my car on the road (yeah, it's complicated) so my brain decided that I would have to stay inside.  :idiot: That went on for about 6 months, but it passed, slowly. With the help of my therapist, I beat the looniness!

I understand about being afraid, but we've all been where you are and we're here to help.

Oh, and you will feel soooo much better when you get off your drug (s).

:smitten:

Chin up,

Katz

Thank you so much Katz. 

The agoraphobia is so debilitating.  And I still have leftover wd symptoms from the Lamictal wd  I wake up most mornings  at 4am with waves of anxiety/cortisol pouring over me. 

I'm trying to handle it with a cortisol supplement at night but it sometimes keeps me up. 

This has been the hardest period of my life and the benzo makes me feel like I will never heal. 

I plan to go very slowly as my nervous system is very sensitive. 

Thank you so much for your support. 

I am going to tell you something very hopeful here. I will turn 69 in March, God help me! I was 62 went I was forced to go CT off two benzos and 2 ADs. My withdrawal was - well - horrific and last a very long time.

But that does not matter a bit now. I am 99.9% healed now. I only have two minor symptoms I associate with WD and they are so minor I might was well say I am 100% healed.

The TRULY good part of my story is that now that I am OFF benzos and SSRIs, I am SO much healthier, happier, active and life is once again good. I went back to work several years ago. A 68 year old RN who began cleaning houses and became damn good at it, too. My work keeps me fit, and plus gets me out and about. I once again enjoy life, have friends and feel love and joy. Oh that is so wonderful after being numbed and dumbed for so many years!

east

PS: the moral of my story is NEVER give up. Keep on going.

Indeed, never give up. Here's a secret for the over 60 thread only: I am 71. And like eastcoast, I feel 99 % healed. I feel so darned much better off benzos -- whoopee!!

Horribly, benzos  and w/d robbed me of my ability to write. I am an author and benzo w/d have me a whopping case of writer's block. Years and years of it. Heck, when I was at my worst, I couldn't even read! But my first book post-block was published last June and I am almost done with my second. So you see, Final, NEVER GIVE UP!! I don't think I am in any way exceptional . . . I was just bloody determined. And as miserable as my taper was, it was worth it.

Let's keep on keeping on, everyone.

Katz

Indeed, never give up. Here's a secret for the over 60 thread only: I am 71. And like eastcoast, I feel 99 % healed. I feel so darned much better off benzos -- whoopee!!

Horribly, benzos  and w/d robbed me of my ability to write. I am an author and benzo w/d have me a whopping case of writer's block. Years and years of it. Heck, when I was at my worst, I couldn't even read! But my first book post-block was published last June and I am almost done with my second. So you see, Final, NEVER GIVE UP!! I don't think I am in any way exceptional . . . I was just bloody determined. And as miserable as my taper was, it was worth it.

Katz

Eastcoast, Katz, you are both such incredible and inspirational women with the best success stories.  And you are both here helping, amazing.  It is a pleasure to know you both, Mary

📚📚📚📚for Katz.          🐈🐾🐾🐾🐾 ❤️❤️. Pets and love for Annie and Bear

Hey, Demelza, it's been an awful trip hasn't it?

A buddy in Australia gave me a life-saving (well it felt life-saving) tip about constipation. Natural Calm magnesium, sold on Amazon and probably at health food stores and pharmacies, is amazing. It makes you, um, regular. I have been using it for 4 years now and it is truly a godsend. Go read about it -- it has plenty of great reviews.

Bu things will turn around. I lost 40 pounds on my taper, but gained it all back once I was finished. My appetite just . . . came back. Gradually, but it did come back.

Hope this helps.

Katz

[48...]

Katz

Eastcoast, Katz, you are both such incredible and inspirational women with the best success stories.  And you are both here helping, amazing.  It is a pleasure to know you both, Mary

📚📚📚📚for Katz.          🐈🐾🐾🐾🐾 ❤️❤️. Pets and love for Annie and Bear

Both inspirations!!!

So glad I found this thread! I'm 63 and nearing the end of my taper off Valium. Sometimes I worry that I'll be old before I've recovered. But I guess I'd be old anyway - at least this way I'll be recovered.  ;)

Having a tough time of it as I get closer to jumping. Tinnitus is my worst symptom. And fatigue. But there are plenty of other ones.

It's good to find others "of a certain age" to walk along side of through this process. Thanks for being here!

You're within shouting distance of the end, Gonna. You're "gonna" make it! And yup, better to be old and recovered than just old.

I suffered from tinnitus also. It does get better.

Hang in there!

Katz

Thank you all so much for your replies

I'm determined and fearful at the same time. Now also have a lyme co-infection.

If this agoraphobia would lessen, my life would open up a bit.

Thank you though for sharing your stories of hope.  I want to be well so badly.  I needed to know it can be done at my age.

Hi everyone! I will be 60 tomorrow and would like to join this blog. I have been on here since 2012 and this is my 2nd time that I have came off a benzo. My next taper I will be tapering a very low dose of Remeron. I’m a bit scared but I know it has to be done. I c/t off Lorazepam this 2nd time 28 months ago and am still having some withdrawal from that so waiting a bit longer to start the Remeron taper.i really feel I need the support of those in my age group. I’m realizing that my age is catching up to me now and these drugs don’t help make it any easier. I’m here to support you too. I know how hard it is to go through w/d. I have bad digestive issues since going through this. That’s what landed me in this mess again. I am thankful beyond words for this forum.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

Oregon Katz,

I identify myself with your driving issues. I was involved in two accidents before my thirties birthday, neither was my fault, but I ended up not being able to drive on the expressway. Back then a psychiatrist friend of mine recommended therapy and Xanax, but I did neither one at the time. I started taking Xanax, as needed in my forties and daily later on, probably in my late fifties. While on Xanax driving got harder and harder for me, until I stopped altogether. I live in a city where traffic is terrible, but all my friends drive but me. Xanax was making all my phobias worse without me realizing it. I’m hoping I can start driving again after I finish my taper, but if I can’t, it is not a big deal, there is always Uber, I have bigger fish to fry, with my withdrawal symptoms.

Demelza it took some CBT as well as talk therapy for me to start driving again. I had to "discover" what I was really concerned about regarding my driving (talk therapy helped here) then figure out how to change that loony behavior (CBT helped). My wonderful therapist did both with me. And now I drive 150 miles a day for work. So don't give up! Thank heavens there's Uber where you live. Here, too. And you may be able to drive again . . . but imo don't sweat it right now.

Just fyi if you're interested: my therapist recommended a book called Mindsight by psychiatrist Daniel Siegel. He treats people without prescribing drugs. I got insight into how I might fix my car-related craziness from a passage in his book in which he described treating an OCD patient. My therapist and I created a plan based on this and voila . . . now I drive!

I understand what you mean about bigger fish to fry. Withdrawing from our benzo is a miserable, lengthy business.

My best to you,

Katz

Hi Katz,

I’m going to look up the book you recommended, I’ve read a lot of books about people in benzo recovery, in one of them I learned about BenzoBuddies and the Ashton Manual. Yes, I would like to drive again, and I’m sure I could if I put myself to it, but I’m still a bit afraid to do so now.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CBT?

I love how you call the not wanting to drive car-related craziness, because that’s exactly what I would call it.

Best to you too!

CBT is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It's different from talk therapy as it is focused on changing thoughts to change behavior. It's a very popular form of therapy as it's short and, well, focused. It works well for some things.

A lot of people don't like talk therapy as it is messy and painful. You have to do a lot of digging around in your past to understand why you are so debilitated in your present. And if you are going to get anything out of talk therapy you ought to commit to being it in for as long as it takes. Of course you can quit at any time, but then, what's the point? And therapists do not have a prescription pad!

Hope you like Mindsight. It's on a CD also. I saw Dr. Siegel when he came to speak in Salem, here in OR. Very impressive guy . . . mostly because he does not use drugs in his treatment of patients.

Yeah, when I think about my car craziness I feel pretty foolish. Isn't it awful what benzo-induced fear does to us? I love to drive -- here in the west we need our cars if we are going to go anywhere. I have been driving since I was 15 and what happened to me was so horrible! But with my therapist I figured it out.

Hope you can get back to it, Demelza. But don't sweat it. It will come. Uber is a good Plan B.

Hopeful thoughts,

Katz

Hi everyone

I am 61 ( can hardly believe it )  I was thinking that it would be good to talk to people who are 60 or over to see if we have similar symptoms/ problems etc.

I know that we shouldn't really compare because everyone is different but I think that it would be interesting.

I suppose that I am also worried about going through this horrible experience at 61.

Any thoughts or feelings would be great!

Thanks

Liz

I had to wait till I was 67 to get put on benzos- I was only on for a year and a half. Unfortunately, I have decades of being on antidepressants. I just jumped off the Valium 7 days ago. I haven’t had a lot of physical symptoms except diahrrea. And stomach problems. But I’ve had trouble leaving the house, am very foggy, and am in a nasty depression. All I’m left with is 6 mg of remeron.in the meantime I’ve lost my reputation, and most of my friends and family.all because 5 years ago I decided to go off antidepressants because I thought I didn’t need them after taking then for years and years. I reinstated effexor but it failed after a year and a half when I ran into a conflict. So it’s hard for me to know what’s causing what. The doctorI have enthusiastically tried me on one drug after another which made me hyper ( something I’ve never been in my life. ) I honestly think my brain is fried. I am absolutely horrified that stopping benzos causes such horrid side effects. I would’ve been better off not knowing what could happen. In the meantime my personal doctor wil not admit that benzos could possibly be causing me any problems because I got off them in 4 months. I never took much. I think the mistake I made was switching to Valium and going down in 4 months.  I just keep regretting my decision to go off the drugs in the first place, agreeing to take a zillion drugs in a years time, and being scared because I’m only on 6 mg of remeron at night which I absolutely hate. I’m very worried I jumpstarted Alzheimers which runs in my family. My emotions have completely keftvme. I am unable to cry with tears or laugh. I can barely smile. And the doctors really despise me because I let them know how upset I am.