Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

Well I needed a break. Decided to have a drink or few. Yeah, I know, not recommended. But oh well.  Tomorrow is my 56  birthday. And I wanted to chill tonight. 3 glasses of wine later, I am in deed "Chillin" I am snacking on chips and nuts  . not even bedtime yet.  I may be sorry by morning, that I posted this, but, oh well, its real. I like to eat salty chips at bedtime.  Tomorrow could be bad after this, but I am optimistic that it will be as bad as it could have been.... I'll check in tomorrow after work.... They greatest motivation that I live by is ... You can do anything you set your mind you do. !  I really believe it's true !

Happy Birthday, dogs make me smile!!!  I sincerely hope you're not having any repercussions from taking a birthday break!!  Wishing you all the best and many HAPPY returns of the day.  Flibberty

I'm so sorry about your cut, tntd!  Thinking about you, too, MiYu and Fuzzy,  and hoping things get better for you. 

So, Red Sky, you are doing pretty well after finishing your taper?

So far, so good.  Trying not to wait for the other shoe to drop.

Thinking of you Fuzzy, and praying for some relief for you .....

The only thing I've ever read about that might be a possible,treatment option is NAD Therapy . It's not risk free , but seems like it's the most promising in terms of detox .ive researched it quite a bit , it's very expensive .... But they do have some positive results from what I understand. .

It's good fro getting people off their meds without issues , I don't think it avoids the possibilities of post acute WDs though .

I think there's one buddie on here who did it , and there's another guy who is having a horrible time with Valium who I think is about to do it . I can find his user name if you want to write to him .

Hugs , MiYu  :hug:

Thank you TNTD  :smitten:

I'm sorry you're feeling the cut .... You knwo , I think it's more important to stay as stable as possible , however long it takes . Some of us are just super sensitive and it makes life a living hell if we overdo it.

I am really suffering form this crossover now . Very destabilized . Today is the worst day I've ever had I think . I can feel how I just don't have enough GABA available because of the receptors , and I totally freaked out this morning . I have to stay completely calm and no stress, even moving around can stress me at the moment . I felt a huge wave of symptoms coming on at 2 am last night . I had so many scary symptoms this morning I freaked out .

So scary this chemical imbalance . Fortunately a friend walked me through a mindfulness meditation to calm me down . I really felt like I was going to loose my mind .

Have you experienced this T?

I also felt so disconnected , like my head was full of nothing and then all these horrible physical sensations .

Anyway, thank you so much for everything , the links and fro being here .

Try not to worry about the time frame , I know , i do the same thing. But we can only do what we can do . You've made a few cuts , maybe hold a but and see what happens? Hopefully your baseline is better now .

I'm super scared of tapering and how long it will take , but all I know right now is I can't make a move yet. When I look at how long it took me to taper 2 mgs Valium, and that was hell too , I'll be right there with you taking 16 years or something , and that's from my dose !

Hang in there , we'll get there one way or another .

Miyu :smitten:

Fuzzy .... I'm so sorry , but it gald you are sleeping , as T says , it's giving your brain healing time .  :hug:

Hi flibberty .... I'm not sure how accurate the scales are .. It's harder to make smaller cuts that's for sure with it . But you may be fine , I'm using it until I'm ready to taper I guess , then I'll see.  :smitten:

MiYu

Hi MiYu,

I feel like we're in this together!! I know how hard it was for you to taper such a small amount over such a long period of time. Hopefully this c/o and continued holding will put you in a better place and you will be able to taper at a faster pace and still stay functional.

I have not experienced what you did since I have started tapering but I'm on another medication that helps me sleep. I have had a surge of adrenaline wake me with an anxiety attack that bordered on panic. It was 2:30 for me. Then I started having a hot flash. It took awhile to go back to sleep but I did some deep breathing and managed to get myself there.

You put tears in my eyes with your comments about not worrying about how long it's going to take to taper. I could have written that paragraph myself. It's really hard not to think about that, especially at my age. So long as I'm finished and functional by the time my husband retires I suppose. We would like to do some traveling but I would like to do some traveling right now as well. That's hard to do when you are housebound.

We have plans to go to an apple farm this weekend. We are supposed to be going with my daughter and her boyfriend. We made the plans when I was in a window but I've been in a wave for over a week now. I really hope I wake up feeling up to going on Saturday. Maybe I'll go anyway, sometimes that works and I feel better once I get out. If not then my husband and I will just turn around and go home.

Hugs and healing to you MiYu, you deserve a nice big window!!  :smitten: :smitten: :hug: :hug:

T

Hi Red Sky,

My pleasure. I hope it is helpful for you and others. It may not get rid of the cortisol problems entirely but some of those things really help.

I've read of others that struggle with their weight despite not changing their diet. I've read that the benzo's can slow the metabolism down. Who knows. Trying to eat healthy and exercise when it doesn't make my anxiety worse. That's all I can do for now :) Not budging indeed. So frustrating!!

Hugs and healing  :smitten: :smitten: :hug: :hug:,

T

I'm so sorry about your cut, tntd!  Thinking about you, too, MiYu and Fuzzy,  and hoping things get better for you. 

So, Red Sky, you are doing pretty well after finishing your taper?

So far, so good.  Trying not to wait for the other shoe to drop.

Thanks flibberty. It was only two small cuts so hopefully it won't take long for me to stabilize in a hold. Only time will tell!!

Stay strong, no shoes are dropping :D

Hugs and healing  :smitten: :smitten: :hug: :hug:,

T

Hey Fuzzy,

Let us know what you decide to do. I've heard of the treatment that MiYu was talking about too. I don't remember much about what I read, cog fog you know, but I think it was good stuff.

Big cyber Hugs. You are in my thoughts. Sending healing energies to you.  :smitten::hug:,

T

What is NAD therapy? If there was someway to get off this stuff without years of tapering wouldn't everyone do it regardless of how expensive it was?

What is NAD therapy? If there was someway to get off this stuff without years of tapering wouldn't everyone do it regardless of how expensive it was?

It's an introvenous supplement...from what I understand they out you on it 8 hours a day for 10 days or more , and take you off the benzo . It's not 100% from what I read , but it is supposed to help a lot , and for some it really helps . I think the cost is deterrent , like $1200 day. When I called a place they thought id need three weeks there , plus the cost of board and lodging etc.i think it's outpatient , and you have to have someone with you , so all those things make it challenging for many people .

I believe you can have a free consultation over the phone with their doctors, and the most reputable places are one in San Diego , and the one in Louisiana.

What NAD does is rejuvenate the cells throughout the body . They've née using this treatment in South Africa fro about 30 years . It's supposed to work really well for opioids and alcohol . Benzos , well , I think there's more risk with benzos . They do say that they withdraw people from benzos too though .

Pm Starcaster if you can and ask him if he's decided to go ahead with it . I know he was having a terrible time on Valium , not able to metabolize it and very ill.

I think many people are able to slowly taper , and prefer that route than paying out so much money .

I think if it's even a possibility for you it might be worth checking out ?

I'd do it if I felt I had no other option , I'm not quite there yet though .and the cost is an issue for me.

How a re you doing today? Do you have a doctor to talk to about your situation ?

Sending love and hugs to you Fuzzy,

MiYu

I'll look into it but I'm quite weary of a place that promises such a rapid detox. I just don't think three weeks is nearly long enough to heal my GABA receptors or my decimated central nervous system. I've spoken to several people who paod tens of thousands of dollars and ended up in a very bad place. I also don't have anywhere close to that much money.

I'm not doing so well today. I had a breakdown last night in front of my family and was so stressed out and feeling so awful I took 5 mg's of Valium which calmed me down last night but today is making me feel pretty awful. My psychiatrist is on vacation right now.

I'll look into it but I'm quite weary of a place that promises such a rapid detox. I just don't think three weeks is nearly long enough to heal my GABA receptors or my decimated central nervous system. I've spoken to several people who paod tens of thousands of dollars and ended up in a very bad place. I also don't have anywhere close to that much money.

I'm not doing so well today. I had a breakdown last night in front of my family and was so stressed out and feeling so awful I took 5 mg's of Valium which calmed me down last night but today is making me feel pretty awful. My psychiatrist is on vacation right now.

I understand Fuzzy ... I'm  So sorry you had a breakdown last night . Are your family sympathetic at all?

Try not to worry about the extra Valium .... I don't think it will make anything worse ....

Hugs for you ,

MiYu

Fuzzy ... I was wondering what happened when you tried to cross to Valium? It took me months to make the cross and it was very hard. I did eventually stabilize ,on the V and felt quite good for a short while. I wish I'd taken my taper slower and maybe I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in now . I neede to do a very slow taper . But I didn't know it of course .

I'm thinking I may have to go back to V again..... I'm having. A rough time now with the K , I think it's become paradoxical already for me . I took my first dose of the day at 3.30 am and within 5 mins I was having  horrific adrenaline surges and thought I might have a heart attack . I was shaking and writhing and morning in shock from it ! I had to take 1 mg Valium to calm it down .

I know you can't respond to this right now , I guess I'm writeing it for other buddies to read too.

I never want to go through that again!

Anyway . I'm planning at least a partial switch back to Valium. Maybe that's an option for you ? A partial switch?

We have to keep trying and find a way .

Hugs and 🙏🏻

MiYu

I tried a partial substitution. I tried 10 mg's of Valium for .5 Klonopin and felt absolutely horrendous. Then I tried 5 for .25 and 2.5 for .125. Felt terrible on all of them. I think I've become paradoxical to Klonopin but also can't tolerate Valium. Even that one rescue dose made me relaxed at the time but then all day yesterday I was a wreck. I truly don't know what to do. I feel like I'm out of options. I've never been as depressed as I am today in my life.

How is everyone doing at the end of this weekend. I had a miserable Friday. I think I was mainly anticipating anxiety from an evening out with friends, therefore ruining my Friday. Saturday was better and now Sunday, I guess I am ready or not for Monday at the office.

I tried a partial substitution. I tried 10 mg's of Valium for .5 Klonopin and felt absolutely horrendous. Then I tried 5 for .25 and 2.5 for .125. Felt terrible on all of them. I think I've become paradoxical to Klonopin but also can't tolerate Valium. Even that one rescue dose made me relaxed at the time but then all day yesterday I was a wreck. I truly don't know what to do. I feel like I'm out of options. I've never been as depressed as I am today in my life.

HI FD ,

What I am finding out is all these changes we make, switching meds, moving any doses around etc all effect our fragile nervous systems .

I'm a wreck too , I feel sick after dosing either V or K . All I can do is wait it out and hope things get a bit better so that I can taper. I knwo the Valium at 8 mgs was making me very sick . I'm now taking 2 mgs V and .30 K . The K makes me sick too.

I try to stay as calm as possible, , I haven't been able to walk for a while now , except to the bathroom and kitchen and back to my bed , so I understand .

We can get through this ..... Can you listen to any mindfulness meditations on YouTube ? I find acceptance helpful , and I keep reminding myself that this will pass , it will .

Hugs and I hope you can find your way , and the courage to get through this ,

MiYu

How is everyone doing at the end of this weekend. I had a miserable Friday. I think I was mainly anticipating anxiety from an evening out with friends, therefore ruining my Friday. Saturday was better and now Sunday, I guess I am ready or not for Monday at the office.

Wish I was having an easy time DMMS , but like fuzzy , I'm not ..... You seem to be one of the fortunate ones who can do a fairly rapid taper .... Good for you ! I hope you can manage with the anxiety ......and as you ar emailing such good progress , no need to rush and create any unnecessary symptoms IMO ....sorry about your Friday though ....

MiYu

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone... just thought I'd reach out to this group because I did a Klonipin (Clonazepam) taper to Valium in a short period of time (I didn't know) and I'm 13 months out now since my last dose. I'm still having quite a bit of head pain / pressure that's debilitating at times. Is there anyone here who is suffering this same symptom in waves like I am? The waves are intermittent through most days. I'm very scared that this symptom will not go away. Not sure how much more of this I can take so I wanted to reach out in this thread.

Thank you all,

Hey everyone... just thought I'd reach out to this group because I did a Klonipin (Clonazepam) taper to Valium in a short period of time (I didn't know) and I'm 13 months out now since my last dose. I'm still having quite a bit of head pain / pressure that's debilitating at times. Is there anyone here who is suffering this same symptom in waves like I am? The waves are intermittent through most days. I'm very scared that this symptom will not go away. Not sure how much more of this I can take so I wanted to reach out in this thread.

Thank you all,

Hi Colley , I'm sorry you are suffering .... I'm afraid there's not a lot of activity on this thread these days .

Have you tapered off the Valium too then?

I do think it's completely normal to have these kinds of symptoms 13 months out , especially after a fast taper . Of course everyone is different , but you are not alone .

I am still tapering myself ,and going very slowly as I have many symptoms already .

I would suggest , for support , I think there is a post taper support group , maybe more than one .

And Facebook has a couple of really good support groups where you get pretty instant responses and good support from many people going through the same as you .

They are called -

Benzodiazepine Recovery

And -

Benzodiazepine withdrawal support and recovery

Just ask to join the groups and you will get an acceptance .

Hang in there , from everything I've heard and read, this will pass , you will recover and be well again ,

MiYu

• 1 month later...
I need to read this hope. Holding at 1mg since I tapered too fast from 2mg. Will my body even out? What can I expect? Afternoons are the worst (interpose withdrawal). Trying to take 0.125mg a couple hours before bed, but anxiety won't let me take more at this point. Racing, obsessive thoughts tell me it won't get better, my future's over, and I'll never sleep again (catastrophizing). Knowing there are others out there cheering each other on is good.

I need to read this hope. Holding at 1mg since I tapered too fast from 2mg. Will my body even out? What can I expect? Afternoons are the worst (interpose withdrawal). Trying to take 0.125mg a couple hours before bed, but anxiety won't let me take more at this point. Racing, obsessive thoughts tell me it won't get better, my future's over, and I'll never sleep again (catastrophizing). Knowing there are others out there cheering each other on is good.

I haven't posted in this thread for a while but saw your post and wanted to respond. You can see my signature. I am all for slow tapers with long holds when needed; it has taken me almost 19 months to drop from 1 mg of klonopin to .43. You have dropped almost twice as much in just two months! While most people don't need to go as slow as I am going (I am determined to remain as completely functional as possible), you may want to consider a very long hold, and updosing even .25 might be extremely beneficial to you. I updosed last spring and then held for many months; the taper is much easier now (I am going very slow now as I am trying to change jobs, if I can get a new one, have been interviewing a lot just need to get the "right" offer). I think if you can accept that this takes as long as it takes, then it might help you. I think rapid tapers can work against us as they are often abandoned (at least that is what I did the first two times I tried this, I was a mess at a much higher dose than I am now).

I think it helps tremendously if you can let your brain catch up to where you are in terms of healing. Hopefully someone with other experience will chime in.