The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

Thank you, Pamster and hereforhelp!

I'll start a thread in direct taper. Not sure what to say.

In the good news department... I have found a pharmacy that can special order another generic in a blister pack. I'm working on getting the prescriber to cancel the order at the other pharmacy and send the new prescription with the marking "No Teva".

Heading to post over yonder.

ps. thanks for the info on kindling. I am 15 years out from treating Lyme and Co on and off for 14 years and was 8 years until diagnosis. And though I am not attached to my diagnoses it was called late stage chronic Neuroborreliosis. So the neuro stuff is not completely unfamiliar, sadly.

Ok, I have a symptom I totally forgot about!!  A wd sx I mean, and that is ravenous hunger when I have to reason to be.  It reminded me I didn't take my dose of C today.  I've been trying for the same time every day, and I am down from a .154 dose to a .149 since the 9th of this month, so 8 days.

I'll see how I feel after my dose of .149 again, I even put it under my tongue as I felt so awful, shakey, and ravenous.  I'm on very good nutrition, no sugars, starches or or high-carbs for 2.5 years and usually never get hungry between meals.  I also exercise regularly so it's got to be wd sx.  I may hold and do the same tomorrow, but if I updose, I need to only go back to say .150 I'm thinking.  I don't want to updose too much, hopefully I won't need to, we'll see.

Anyone else get this particular wd sx??  Thanks all, Denise PS Also more tinnitus, louder, since lastnight :-\

I am deeply sorry for all the pain and hurt you've been through rockgrl. Your story is heartbreaking. I really believe getting off benzo's will give you a brighter future to look forward to.

I should just clarify what I've said because I'm still in withdrawal and sometimes I write without clearly distinguishing between the terminology but it's still very much in line with the concept of tolerance. There is tolerance and tolerance withdrawal. Tolerance means the drug is not delivering the same therapeutic effect anymore at the dose it was prescribed. You need more of the drug to treat the condition. Then there's tolerance withdrawal and it means you start experiencing withdrawal symptoms while on the drug because you're in tolerance. Tapering while in tolerance withdrawal is the really tough part. The reason you're struggling so badly is because tapering is supposed to give you some level of control over your symptoms. We keep referring to doing a symptoms based taper - stabilizing and letting your symptoms dictate your taper. This helps you to remain kind of functional. But if you're in tolerance withdrawal prior to tapering, you barely have control over your symptoms. When you then taper with existing symptoms, tapering can be very challenging for people.

Some people who go into tolerance withdrawal become worse and worse over time and they end up not being able to taper at all due to the extreme severity of their symptoms. All they're trying to do is keep their current symptoms from intensifying and they're just stuck. They can't updose or taper as it makes their symptoms acute. There was one person here who wrote her story about this as a warning to others. It stuck with me and will be with me forever. Her suffering is immense.  :'( Once you've read a story like that, you'll never want to stay on benzo's.

Ok, this post just scared hell out of me as I am doing a dry-cut micro taper daily and it's my 8 day of tapering and I've gone from  .154 down to .149 so I haven't been perfect on my numbers.

I grew probably total tolerance over the 35 years I took only 1 mg of C (generic for K) per day.  Today, and starting lastnight I felt ravenous hunger, especially this a.m. and shakey feeling.  It dawned on me I hadn't taken a dose today and I try for 7 o'clock.  Anyway, I am glad I just re-read your reply Jelly Bean because I miss so much when I read sometimes.  So if I was in tolerance wd before I started here at BB and began to taper, I didn't have severe sxs, not at all.  I did have some short-term memory loss, and anxiety, crying a bit but fully functioning in my day to day chores, errands, going to the gym, walks, eating good, etc.  So I don't think I need to be so scared after hearing about this tolerance wd.

I was thinking of updosing, but waiting for my dose today to kick in, and maybe just hold for a time.  I certainly don't want to end up not being able to updose, or taper "any further" if that's what you meant :(

I am deeply sorry for all the pain and hurt you've been through rockgrl. Your story is heartbreaking. I really believe getting off benzo's will give you a brighter future to look forward to.

I should just clarify what I've said because I'm still in withdrawal and sometimes I write without clearly distinguishing between the terminology but it's still very much in line with the concept of tolerance. There is tolerance and tolerance withdrawal. Tolerance means the drug is not delivering the same therapeutic effect anymore at the dose it was prescribed. You need more of the drug to treat the condition. Then there's tolerance withdrawal and it means you start experiencing withdrawal symptoms while on the drug because you're in tolerance. Tapering while in tolerance withdrawal is the really tough part. The reason you're struggling so badly is because tapering is supposed to give you some level of control over your symptoms. We keep referring to doing a symptoms based taper - stabilizing and letting your symptoms dictate your taper. This helps you to remain kind of functional. But if you're in tolerance withdrawal prior to tapering, you barely have control over your symptoms. When you then taper with existing symptoms, tapering can be very challenging for people.

Some people who go into tolerance withdrawal become worse and worse over time and they end up not being able to taper at all due to the extreme severity of their symptoms. All they're trying to do is keep their current symptoms from intensifying and they're just stuck. They can't updose or taper as it makes their symptoms acute. There was one person here who wrote her story about this as a warning to others. It stuck with me and will be with me forever. Her suffering is immense.  :'( Once you've read a story like that, you'll never want to stay on benzo's.

Ok, this post just scared hell out of me as I am doing a dry-cut micro taper daily and it's my 8 day of tapering and I've gone from  .154 down to .149 so I haven't been perfect on my numbers.

I grew probably total tolerance over the 35 years I took only 1 mg of C (generic for K) per day.  Today, and starting lastnight I felt ravenous hunger, especially this a.m. and shakey feeling.  It dawned on me I hadn't taken a dose today and I try for 7 o'clock.  Anyway, I am glad I just re-read your reply Jelly Bean because I miss so much when I read sometimes.  So if I was in tolerance wd before I started here at BB and began to taper, I didn't have severe sxs, not at all.  I did have some short-term memory loss, and anxiety, crying a bit but fully functioning in my day to day chores, errands, going to the gym, walks, eating good, etc.  So I don't think I need to be so scared after hearing about this tolerance wd.

I was thinking of updosing, but waiting for my dose today to kick in, and maybe just hold for a time.  I certainly don't want to end up not being able to updose, or taper "any further" if that's what you meant :(

Hey there OL. I hope you are feeling better after taking your meds. I sure do know what you mean about forgetting to take them and having awful symptoms.

Hey there OL. I hope you are feeling better after taking your meds. I sure do know what you mean about forgetting to take them and having awful symptoms.

and thanks for pointing that out, yes, I could have had the sxs because I was late with my regular dose!!  Geesh, I sure hope my brain heals itself, at least to some extent :laugh:

I tapered in this state of "tolerance withdrawal" where I started having withdrawal symptoms while taking the drug as prescribed. I never leveled out or had much stability. I always had crappy symptoms the whole way down and now that I'm off. But I was able to get off the drug, and you can too. You need to get off it. It only causes more injury the longer you are on it.

I got scared hereforhelp because I thought if I was too tolerant of the c it meant that I could not taper off any longer and I could not updose because either way it would be a horrible experience I guess that's only one person's information but I hope others don't take it like I did because I I know I was living life quite normally before I got to wanting off of the c lots of times just by accident or running across a video but then eventually found BB which has really convinced me I need to get off of it but I'm glad I got your reply because that is my only hope is to be off it's my only dream it's my only desire at this minute and it has been for the last 2 months is to be free of clonazepam and I tell you I probably won't take another drug. They'd have to I'd have to be unconscious and not able to tell them no more drugs because this is horrible to read about it's horrible sometimes my brain and the memories and but I know I'm strong and I don't give up. Sorry for no punctuation I'm using my phone again and I can't text I have to use a voice to text thanks h f h you always show up just at the right time Denise :thumbsup:

Hi OL

I'm sorry that post is scaring you. I believe I wrote that in response to someone asking why they needed to come off benzo's and why they couldn't just stay on it forever. It's the ugly truth of what these drugs can do if we don't get off.

Like you, I also believe I had some tolerance symptoms when I started tapering. I had insomnia, anxiety and memory problems. Yet my taper was fairly okay.

Please don't stress too much. You seem to be doing well with your taper and also one skipped dose is not going to hamper your taper.

Hi Denise, I was also in tolerance after 5 days of use and I'm tapering. I think I would be okayish if my doctor had not cut me by 40% in the start.

If you never want to take meds again you can put it in your medical records you are allergic to them. I did. I'd rather die than be stuck on something else ever again tbh.

Hi OL

I'm sorry that post is scaring you. I believe I wrote that in response to someone asking why they needed to come off benzo's and why they couldn't just stay on it forever. It's the ugly truth of what these drugs can do if we don't get off.

Like you, I also believe I had some tolerance symptoms when I started tapering. I had insomnia, anxiety and memory problems. Yet my taper was fairly okay.

Please don't stress too much. You seem to be doing well with your taper and also one skipped dose is not going to hamper your taper.

Well I know I need to know all I can, good or bad, and it was a shocker mostly because I read it wrong, but I'm learning just how insidious the benzos are and I know I cannot stay on them any longer than it takes to wean off, and I am going slow.  I think today I really felt the wd sxs maybe for the first time.

Your reply is good (the one that scared me) because one thing can lead to another and now I want to hold for a time instead of a taper every day.  I have severe tinnitus which is still bearable, and I got past that ravenous thing after updosing. I wasn't sure how much to updose but what I did helped me feel better although I got a case of Lucy Bowels which I never get, not for years.  Anyway, I see why I've read somewhere that some folks figure things out as they go  ;) but I still ended up with a full 1 mg  today so maybe I can go back to my amount I started with 8 days ago and hold there for a time  :thumbsup:

Hi Denise, I was also in tolerance after 5 days of use and I'm tapering. I think I would be okayish if my doctor had not cut me by 40% in the start.

If you never want to take meds again you can put it in your medical records you are allergic to them. I did. I'd rather die than be stuck on something else ever again tbh.

I appreciate knowing that I can put it in my records.  I'll sure put "NO BENZOs in there ;) If I get hit by a bus I'd like to have a shot or two of pain-killer but I sure hope I never have to have that either  ;)

Posting here if this is helpful….

I have talked with Total Town pharmacist Justin and had a 20min convo. They work with many patients and have done compounds for Ativan, Klonopin, Librium, and Xanax. They haven’t done any for Valium thus far…

-they are PCAB accredited which is highest and most reputable you can get, only 2% are in the US.

-they also are PCCA which sources pure ingredients from manufacturers instead of crushing pills to make their formulations….. which can have variations regarding dose amounts given filler and binders are included in pill format. My compounder in Arlington Pharmacy Solutions is also the same, sources pure K powder and doesn’t crush the pills giving a more exact amount of the specific benzo dose needed.

-they can get as low as .005mg capsule increments for Ativan and Librium

-they can get as low as .001mg capsule increments for Klonopin and Xanax

Many with the Ativan, K and Xanax prescriptions will have Dr write out prescription filling it with .1mg capsules, .05mg capsules and .005 or .001mg capsules enabling the person to make the reductions they need as such to get say to the .005mg or the .001mg reduction.

Wanted to pass this along bc I know it’s a struggle finding people who understand and can get small reductions as many of us need and most Drs don’t even know compounding options are out there for psychotropic meds. If you find a compounder in your state and need these guys to talk to them, they are willing to help out with questions.

If you have a prescriber in NY….

Total Town Compounding - Justin ( pharmacist)

Syosset NY

516-249-7436

If you have a prescriber in TX

Pharmacy Solutions- Nick (pharmacist I use)

Arlington TX

817-274-0050

Hi Klonopin Experts,

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum... I'm an overwhelmed newcomer and a little lost but would be sincerely grateful for your advice.

My aim is to start tapering soon from Clonazepam, which I have been taking for about 20 yrs due to severe anxiety issues, mostly triggered by needless, hypochondriac-type worries (heart attacks, cancer worries, etc., etc.). Contrary to the more typical approach, I never took a steady dose, instead nibbling on a 0.5 mg pill  (which I always carry with me) when needed. These nibbles probably ranged from about 0.06 to 0.25 mg. They were effective so that rarely did I need more than one 0.5mg pill on a given day. In other words, and this is an estimate, I may have used about 0.375mg of Clonazepam per day over the years. Let me add, though, that occasionally -- in reaction to real stressful situations (like turbulent flying)--  I did take perhaps 1-1.5 mg of Clonazepam per day. 

About 3-4 yrs ago, in addition to the more normal anxiety waves, when walking I began to feel like I was on a moving ship and also started to get migraine-like head pressure feelings off and on. Clonazepam, even at larger doses, did not help with that. I’ve had a negative MRI and these sensations usually resolve themselves by resting. Recently, however, I tried some Lorazepam that I had stashed away. Surprisingly,  about 0.5mg proved effective in decreasing the swaying sensations and the “head pressure”.

Given this background, I hope that some of you could advise me on two concerns before I begin this tapering and any other matters that I should think about.

1) Is it likely that these feelings of instability (I seem to walk pretty straight, but feel like I am on a moving boat) and the migraine-like symptoms already are withdrawal symptoms?

2) Should I attempt to first stabilize, perhaps even up-dosing if necessary, at a daily, steady dose of Clonazepam?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Hi Gringo,

I'm sorry you're dealing with all this... It truly is awful. In answer to your questions, 1) yes, I believe you're already dealing with withdrawal symptoms and benzo injury, and 2) not everyone can stabilize, especially since you're most likely dealing with "tolerance withdrawal."

I also got hit with symptoms one day while taking my dose as prescribed, I never stabilized, and I had to contend with symptoms the whole way down. I did a daily microtaper meaning I cut my dose by a small amount every day using a nail file and scale. Some days weren't terrible; other days were. Also, the symptoms you mention are VERY common, and are some of the tell-tale signs of benzo wd / BIND (Benzodiazepine-Induced Neurological Dysfunction). I also deal with head symptoms including pressure, a fuzzy/floating feeling, a burning-like sensation, and headaches.

Get some more advice from others, but in my opinion, the best thing you could do is to start a gradual taper starting at about a 5% reduction and adjusting from there based on what your body can handle. You CAN do this, and you WILL be okay!

Thank you so much, hereforhelp! What an appropriate name you chose: you have helped much indeed.

I will try stabilizing for a while at 0.375 mg of K (perhaps using three 0.125 mg daily doses) and then follow up with 10% cuts every 3-4 weeks. I do have a scale that seems to be reliable to about +/- 0.004mg, but am unsure how to proceed.

I would therefore be very grateful if you could explain more about how you actually do the "shaving" with the file -- Do you weigh each pill first, then shave off from the even, flat, top surface enough powder to reach the 10% loss? Or do you first split the pill into portions and then shave off 10% from each split? Also, do you use the accumulated powder when it reaches enough weight to register on the balance? I ask this because I only get a certain amount of 0.5mg pills prescribed per year, so discarding the powder is worrisome to me. My doc doesn't really know my plans, but eventually, I will inform her.

Again, thank you, and apologies for all these detailed questions.

Thank you so much, hereforhelp! What an appropriate name you chose: you have helped much indeed.

I will try stabilizing for a while at 0.375 mg of K (perhaps using three 0.125 mg daily doses) and then follow up with 10% cuts every 3-4 weeks. I do have a scale that seems to be reliable to about +/- 0.004mg, but am unsure how to proceed.

I would therefore be very grateful if you could explain more about how you actually do the "shaving" with the file -- Do you weigh each pill first, then shave off from the even, flat, top surface enough powder to reach the 10% loss? Or do you first split the pill into portions and then shave off 10% from each split? Also, do you use the accumulated powder when it reaches enough weight to register on the balance? I ask this because I only get a certain amount of 0.5mg pills prescribed per year, so discarding the powder is worrisome to me. My doc doesn't really know my plans, but eventually, I will inform her.

Happy to help out, Gringo.

I was unable to use powder because of my heart med and the effect it had on the pharmacokinetics of the benzo, but many people can... So, you can either weigh powder or file down a whole pill to the right weight. I filed pills I'd previously split down to weight. If you have Teva or Accord pills, the average weight is .170 g, so assume every pill is that weight, and file to the weight you need. If you have 0.5 mg pills, then you know .170 g pill weight is equal to 0.5 mg K, so you determine how much to take off based on that ratio. If you need help with the math, I'm happy to assist you. Although, if you look back a bit in this thread, you'll find where I've done that for another buddy.

This is the pill splitter I recommend: https://a.co/d/9SWCyzl

It is at least 1-million times better than any other. I really should get money from the maker of that splitter for as many times as I've recommended it on here. :)

Hi Gringo welcome to the Klub  ;D

I think it's a great idea to try to stabilize first just to see if you can. Be aware that if you aren't taking your doses three times a day already it could cause some withdrawal symptoms when you change to taking them that way. I was having inter-dose withdrawals when I was taking it twice a day and I slowly moved my doses to three times a day. I did have WD sxs when I did that though not everyone does. If you do you may need to hold for a bit before starting your taper.

Hugs and healing,

T

Thanks hereforhelp -- again very helpful, your explanations. And tntd, your suggestion makes so much sense.

I will try to settle at 0.375 mg (1/4 of 0.5 mg 3x a day) for a couple of weeks and see how that goes. If that's acceptable to my poor brain and body, I'll start with the real taper, maybe 10% each month. I do have the balance ready and will get the (hereforhelp) cutter -- hopefully Amazon will reward you soon!!! ;)

My doc doesn't know my plans. I don't get enough pills prescribed to really last a whole year. However, I did accumulate enough 0.5mg pills over the years to probably pull it off without requesting more than the normal allotment/year.

What would you folks (or other buddies) recommend: should I involve the doc directly and explain my plan? I'm worried that she might cut me off sooner and force a rapid taper. Still, once I reach down to 0.06mg cuts, I would be so much better off if I could ask for the 0.25mg or even 0.125 mg Clonazepam pills to continue with the taper. That would obviously require her participation --- Not sure what to do...

Thanks hereforhelp -- again very helpful, your explanations. And tntd, your suggestion makes so much sense.

I will try to settle at 0.375 mg (1/4 of 0.5 mg 3x a day) for a couple of weeks and see how that goes. If that's acceptable to my poor brain and body, I'll start with the real taper, maybe 10% each month. I do have the balance ready and will get the (hereforhelp) cutter -- hopefully Amazon will reward you soon!!! ;)

My doc doesn't know my plans. I don't get enough pills prescribed to really last a whole year. However, I did accumulate enough 0.5mg pills over the years to probably pull it off without requesting more than the normal allotment/year.

What would you folks (or other buddies) recommend: should I involve the doc directly and explain my plan? I'm worried that she might cut me off sooner and force a rapid taper. Still, once I reach down to 0.06mg cuts, I would be so much better off if I could ask for the 0.25mg or even 0.125 mg Clonazepam pills to continue with the taper. That would obviously require her participation --- Not sure what to do...

Hi Gringo,

That's a tough question to answer. Some doctors are really great with tapers and some aren't. I would consider seeing how your taper goes maybe and if it's going well maybe then talking to your doctor. At least then you would have some knowledge of how the taper is affecting you personally.

I don't remember if we're allowed to recommend other websites here but Surviving Antidepressants is a great site that has moderators that will help you directly. I have a personal thread there on their benzo boards and if I have any questions I just ask the moderator, Shep, what she thinks. They have so much knowledge from helping so many people through so many different experiences. I use both sites together as they offer different things.

Hugs and healing,

T

Thank you, tntd --- that actually helps and does make sense. I'll see how things go and begin with the taper in about 2 weeks, and then --if I make progress, I'll think about involving my doc.

I also thank you for the suggestion to take a look at Surviving Antidepressants, which I did superficially just a while ago. Looks like a very helpful site too, and I will check out your posts there.

Best wishes  :D

Hey Gringo,

I'm so glad I could be of some help.

If you decide to check my posts out you'll have quite a bit of reading to do. Also be warned it can be triggering as I went through quite a lot at the beginning of this adventure  ;D I actually have two threads as I was CT'd off of Wellbutrin which is how I found SA.

I hope you are able to taper at 10%, a lot of people are. I, unfortunately, am not one of them. I'm tapering by an amount that has been increasing in percentage over time but I'm still only tapering at about four percent a month now. I am at the wrong end of this spectrum when it comes to the ability to taper, lol. I'm a snail but at least I'm getting there  :laugh:

Hugs and healing,

T

Thank you again, tntd!! And I'm sorry to read about your problems with tapering at a faster rate. I do hope that you have a successful "snailing along" (and maybe an "acceleration" too?) to the end of the taper... And thanks for the trigger warning :D!!

I am now on my fourth day of 3x 0.125 mg, spaced approximately 8 hrs apart. WD symptoms are significant and come in waves -- primarily "head & ear pressures", and "walking on a moving boat sensations"  (hard to find a specific term for all these), shortness of breath, and spurts of anxiety. All of it gets better in the evening and much of it can be helped by just sitting or lying down. But, as many other buddies state, the worst for me is after waking up: I churn out all the worst thoughts over and over again. Still, if I can stand this for another two weeks, I'll begin with a 10% cut.

This brings up a question for which I would appreciate advice from you more experienced folks: I presume the better and simpler approach is to make the cut 10% evenly of the entire 3 daily doses, rather than cut proportionally more on only 1 or 2 doses? Any thoughts would be helpful...

And, heretohelp, if you happen to read this, your advice would also be very much appreciated. I did buy your favorite pill splitter and must admit that it looks and feels very elegant and efficient. But, how did you align and hold the pills, and especially the pill splits, symmetrically enough to arrive at equal cuts? I tried cutting some old diazepam pills (just about the same size and type as Teva clonazepam) but failed to achieve similar weights at the 1/2 and 1/4 cuts.

Further, heretohelp -- I was also very impressed reading about the super-precise German balance you used for your ending, minute cuts. I used to do some lab work here and there and am familiar with that one, although a much older version -- very, very nice (do I sound jealous :-[ )?

Thanks folks!!!

If I'm interrupting anyone, I'm so sorry.

So I'm curious if you all take your Klonopin in one daily dose or two doses.

I've been doing 2 doses all along, but now I'm wondering if one is just as good, and if it's more conducive to better sleep (or any sleep at all ;)).

Thank you!

I have been dosing once but sleep is wayyyy worse than what they gave me this for.

Thank you!  Knowing that you've been doing it might give me the courage to try it too.

Same here!  Sleep is so hard to get and getting harder.  I feel your pain.  SO sorry.