Seroquel Support Group

[be...]

I read it carefully and now have the picture so thanks. But I don't get it while I was taking 100 mg it worked great for a while and then stopped working? Could this be the reason I have night time wake ups at 200 mg? However, I do feel like Nancy Pelosi getting hit by a van..... :D I'm sure I'll have to read it again tomorrow. TY

Betsy :)

:laugh:  I think it would be an improvement for Nancy Pelosi  :laugh:

I think you got tolerant to the H1 Antihistamine effect of the S.    Antihistamine (H1) tolerance typically takes 90 to 120 days and then your in tolerance on that chemical too sigh :-\

Once your antihistamine receptors are in tolerance no additional increase in S will do any good and your back to that champagne fountain effect where higher doses just spill out on to other receptors like a1 and D2 which are not that effective for sedation. 

When the time comes do not rush it as it can be as bad a B/Z W/D

Take care Betsy :smitten:

That's what I suspected. Once my Valium is done, I can't wait to get rid of the damn Q. Please don't remind me of that fact in bold faced. I have nightmares about it. :-\:smitten: Thanks for stopping by and please do so in the future.  I need all of the help I can get.

You may want to experiment tapering the Trazodone. The Trazodone could be revving you up.  Typically during a benzo taper every cut sends serotonin screaming high.  Some researchers think part of B/Z W/D is partially from a temporary type of "serotonin-syndrome" surge.  Spec brain imaging with 123I-ADAM shows serotonin spikes while people are in B/Z withdrawal.  Serotonin spike S/X have many similarities to B/Z W/D so it's more complex than just not enough GABAA action.

Every time I made a cut I also cut my AD dose in half for 4 or 5 days and it seemed to help me.  Serotonin is a stimulant so I just do not get docs giving it to people in B/Z W/D  :idiot:.

Then again Trazodone is a great drug for post jump when serotonin levels crash and some people eventually hit that sleepy / depressed / lethargic / no energy stage.

Take care Betsy :thumbsup::smitten:

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [be...]

• [Co...]

• [lo...]

pdoc says :nono: :nono: about tapering the  Traz. It really does help me sleep as it is highly sedating. If I didn't take either at the moment I would maybe get 1 hour every night and that's it. That's what happened to be before I took both drugs. But I'll mention it to him when we Skype this Monday. Remember, you may not know this birdie, but I'm moving from CT to Ohio this Sat, and my internet will be off for about 2 months until I can close on a place and get the guy to come in and turn it back on. Oh, how I miss my Netflix already! I'll miss you too! I am bringing my laptop and ipad with me so I wonder if they will work?

Betsy :) :) :smitten: :smitten:

Bets, I sure wish trazodone had worked for me. Did nothing. That's how I ended up on Xanax.

I am at 17mg of Q (liquefied) and have had to stop cutting and try to stabilize.

Got very bad news today that my doctor no longer wants to prescribe for me and is looking to referring me to the group's new psychiatrist. God only knows what he will want to do to me. I could be in for a C/T or rapid taper or who knows what. I asked her to please not do that. She said she would look into the new psychiatrist's availability and call me. Waiting. Staring and phone. I'm so scared.

Bets, I sure wish trazodone had worked for me. Did nothing. That's how I ended up on Xanax.

I am at 17mg of Q (liquefied) and have had to stop cutting and try to stabilize.

Got very bad news today that my doctor no longer wants to prescribe for me and is looking to referring me to the group's new psychiatrist. God only knows what he will want to do to me. I could be in for a C/T or rapid taper or who knows what. I asked her to please not do that. She said she would look into the new psychiatrist's availability and call me. Waiting. Staring and phone. I'm so scared.

GARD: Why is she doing this?  Retiring? Gads, that is one of my greatest fears, as my pdoc is 70. And there are only idiots in Ohio. Try and not be too scared. One cannot change others, one can only change themselves. How many pills of the Q do you have to last? Poor thing. :'( I wish I could send you some, as I have a lot more than I need. doc always give me 5 refills. And if for some reason I need them earlier, they give them to me anyway. That's one thing I will miss about CT....................Try and at least watch some bad TV, with the phone next to you. :smitten: :smitten:

I don't think it's the Q I'm going to get jerked off of, I think it's the Librium. But I don't know for sure. Could be either. Could be both. Could be neither. It's a crap shoot. My primary knows nothing about this new psychiatrist.

No, she's not retiring. My previous psychiatrist left the group and there was none, so my primary took over my prescribing and was doing it just the way the old psychiatrist was doing it, v-e-r-y slowly tapering me. Now the group has a psychiatrist again and she wants to punt me over to him. She says she thinks a psychiatrist will be more qualified. Right. None of these doctors knows squat. At least my old psychiatrist knew what he didn't know and was willing to listen to me and follow my lead. What are the odds I'm going to find another one like that?

I have a stash of L to last 6 months. But I don't have a stash of Q. Just a month's worth. I've had a couple of pharmacists say it would be safe to just quit the Q from 25mg. I also have a few months worth of gabapentin that might be good for something in an emergency, though I'm not sure what.

I'm sorry to hear how old your doctor is. I hope you have a stash to allow a slow taper.

I'm quite desperate for some help. I'm in a very difficult situation. i have an injury which requires rest and not moving that part of my body.

But I have been shaking/trembling/spasming/fasciculations/myoclonus like hell.

I'm scared that this means i need to go off the seroquel. But that would probably damage me even more (not sleeping, and it might induce akathesia again)

I do seem to react to being on the computer. But I don't know what to do. If i turn out the computer it doesn't make it stop. And i'm scared and alone so i'm on the computer again :(

Anyone any advice? Is it TD /the seroquel or is it the other stuff/ benzo/trazodone withdrawal with the additional injury that gave me a lot of stress

I'm quite desperate for some help. I'm in a very difficult situation. i have an injury which requires rest and not moving that part of my body.

I'm scared that this means i need to go off the seroquel. But that would probably damage me even more (not sleeping, and it might induce akathesia again)

I do seem to react to being on the computer. But I don't know what to do. If i turn out the computer it doesn't make it stop. And i'm scared and alone so i'm on the computer again :(

Anyone any advice? Is it TD /the seroquel or is it the other stuff/ benzo/trazodone withdrawal with the additional injury that gave me a lot of stress

Can't tell from your signature, but it might be that you tapered the Traz too fast. How many mgs were you on?  Or you did not wait to heal from your benzos and started taping the other drugs too quickly? JMO.

I don't think it's the Q I'm going to get jerked off of, I think it's the Librium. But I don't know for sure. Could be either. Could be both. Could be neither. It's a crap shoot. My primary knows nothing about this new psychiatrist.

No, she's not retiring. My previous psychiatrist left the group and there was none, so my primary took over my prescribing and was doing it just the way the old psychiatrist was doing it, v-e-r-y slowly tapering me. Now the group has a psychiatrist again and she wants to punt me over to him. She says she thinks a psychiatrist will be more qualified. Right. None of these doctors knows squat. At least my old psychiatrist knew what he didn't know and was willing to listen to me and follow my lead. What are the odds I'm going to find another one like that?

I have a stash of L to last 6 months. But I don't have a stash of Q. Just a month's worth. I've had a couple of pharmacists say it would be safe to just quit the Q from 25mg. I also have a few months worth of gabapentin that might be good for something in an emergency, though I'm not sure what.

I'm sorry to hear how old your doctor is. I hope you have a stash to allow a slow taper.

Hey GARD: don't worry about my pdoc. He says he will never retire until I am off all drugs. He calls me his "project." Besides, he golfs 4X  week and only works three days. Well, it's good you have the Librium. I think that the most important thing. I don't not have any plans to jump at 25 mg, as once I tried cutting 10 mg out of 200 mg and didn't sleep at all for a week. That was a bad week for me. This is one major reason that I do not go the practices that have multiple doctors. Most likely some are there but not for the duration; they just want to build their resume. That happened to be when I saw a CBT lady. She left after a year w/o giving me notice. I know in my state, the leaving doc is required to give you enough pills to last for a while, just in case the next one doesn't work out. I have quite a stash of everything but the Valium. I used to have a stash at the beginning, as I got five refills. But since I am doing odd cuts, I told him that I would require a different script every month. I know you are scared, GARD, but try not to future trip. The next person may turn out to be fine. Just tell him/her what your taper schedule has been and how you have progressed and he'll probably just follow the plan. After all, it is far easier for a doc these days to follow someones else's plan when they don't have a plan themselves. How much gaba do you have?

Can't tell from your signature, but it might be that you tapered the Traz too fast. How many mgs were you on?  Or you did not wait to heal from your benzos and started taping the other drugs too quickly? JMO.

I cold turkeyed my flurazepam and rapid tapered the trazodone only two months later. So yes i'm getting a lot of waves.

That's why it matters why i'm spasming. If it's the tax on my CNS, another taper will make it all go crumbling down. Is it the seroquel (it's not very farfetched i took antipsychotics for ten years, then a year of primperan and now two years of antipsychotics making it 13 years of TD inducing drugs)

Anyone seen the connection with electricity? Everytime i touch a computer or other electrical devices it makes it way worse.

I cold turkeyed my flurazepam and rapid tapered the trazodone only two months later. So yes i'm getting a lot of waves.

That's why it matters why i'm spasming. If it's the tax on my CNS, another taper will make it all go crumbling down. Is it the seroquel (it's not very farfetched i took antipsychotics for ten years, then a year of primperan and now two years of antipsychotics making it 13 years of TD inducing drugs)

Anyone seen the connection with electricity? Everytime i touch a computer or other electrical devices it makes it way worse.

I think you just answered your own question. As to the electricity, this has happened all of my life. It's like I have a large battery inside me. I am just so used to it now that it doesn't bother me. I think it's just another odd w/d symptom that will go away. I would not have the guts to taper these drugs as fast as you did, but that's just me. I don't plan to taper off the Q, per doc's orders, until I am healed from my benzos. I am 8 months out from the kpin, but not really sure if I have healed. I don't think I have because just once, I had a real window halfway through and the feeling was so super great, and while I don't have any symptoms, I don't get that window feeling. Just accept and learn to distract and I'm sure those electric feelings will go away. Once, at the beginning I got body zaps and they were horrible. I was about to give up but they went away, never to return. God, how I hated them.

I think you just answered your own question. As to the electricity, this has happened all of my life. It's like I have a large battery inside me. I am just so used to it now that it doesn't bother me. I think it's just another odd w/d symptom that will go away. I would not have the guts to taper these drugs as fast as you did, but that's just me. I don't plan to taper off the Q, per doc's orders, until I am healed from my benzos. I am 8 months out from the kpin, but not really sure if I have healed. I don't think I have because just once, I had a real window halfway through and the feeling was so super great, and while I don't have any symptoms, I don't get that window feeling. Just accept and learn to distract and I'm sure those electric feelings will go away. Once, at the beginning I got body zaps and they were horrible. I was about to give up but they went away, never to return. God, how I hated them.

The problem is: my limbs jerk around very violently, and i have a serious pelvic injury that needs rest (and i have to get into an mri tomorrow, which requires me to lay still)

It's not just an electrical feeling, it's when i touch electricity, it makes my spasming worse (like my feet start to move and etc)

I just don't really know if it's the withdrawal or the pills. But i don't know how i can recover from this pelvic injury.

I'm not advocating this, but if it  were me, I would up my dose back to 25 mg, get through the mri and then taper very slowly. Those jerks are very common w/d. You can't have a good mri while jerking.

Corsair12, Try lying still and doing this guided meditation. You can find out if agitation in your thinking is contributing to your muscle movements. It is just a voice, so you can play some gentle quiet music with it. I have a sound machine that I listen to ocean waves with it. It actually helps turn down my neuropathy. Doesn't get rid of it, but calms it down.

I have experienced those jerks pretty severely. I only had them mild when I had my MRI and they said it did not show up because it was not where they were scanning. But, as I said, they were very mild at the time.

I strongly suggest you do the body scan once or twice every day. I have the book that goes with this meditation. There is scientific proof that this sort of meditation alters the brain in good ways, calming the alarm centers that we have going full blast.

I know this won't solve all your w/d problems, but I do think it will make them more bearable and give you some hope.

Hugs,

Gard

Hey GARD: don't worry about my pdoc. He says he will never retire until I am off all drugs. He calls me his "project." Besides, he golfs 4X  week and only works three days. Well, it's good you have the Librium. I think that the most important thing. I don't not have any plans to jump at 25 mg, as once I tried cutting 10 mg out of 200 mg and didn't sleep at all for a week. That was a bad week for me. This is one major reason that I do not go the practices that have multiple doctors. Most likely some are there but not for the duration; they just want to build their resume. That happened to be when I saw a CBT lady. She left after a year w/o giving me notice. I know in my state, the leaving doc is required to give you enough pills to last for a while, just in case the next one doesn't work out. I have quite a stash of everything but the Valium. I used to have a stash at the beginning, as I got five refills. But since I am doing odd cuts, I told him that I would require a different script every month. I know you are scared, GARD, but try not to future trip. The next person may turn out to be fine. Just tell him/her what your taper schedule has been and how you have progressed and he'll probably just follow the plan. After all, it is far easier for a doc these days to follow someones else's plan when they don't have a plan themselves. How much gaba do you have?

Gosh, I have no idea how much gabapentin I have. And I don't need to worry about that. My primary prescribes it and would like me to take more than I do.

I found out this psychiatrist is booking out to November so I can see my primary and get one more script filled of the Librium. My primary is just a few minutes from my house. The psych clinic is a long way and the new nurse there is nasty. I was sad my psych left but I did not miss trying to get down there and having to see the nasty nurse. Well, this can has been kicked down the road a month and that gives me some time to work out what to do.

That sounds good. You need that Librium and well as the Q. Nasty nurses seem to abound everywhere. I think they wanted to become a doctor but could not pass the muster and became crabby. Or they have nasty hubbys as well. Or, they were born that way. Well, you have a month and a short drive, so you're good to go for the next 30 days. :thumbsup:

Hi -- I posted this on the general support board, too.

I am on 25 mugs of this drug for acute insomnia.

Is there evidence that it impedes our healing?

Thanks

Carol, I am taking Q for insomnia also. Without it I would not sleep. I think sleep is absolutely necessary for healing. I have not read anywhere that low-dose Q interferes with healing from benzos. The lower the dose the better, though. That's why I tapered down to 17mg. It was painful, but I did it. And I found I can still sleep adequately (not great) on 17mg. Below that I ran into trouble.

Of note: Seroquel is not stable as a liquid and is not soluble in anything not poisonous. I use a water suspension and mix it up right before I take it every night.

For the time being, I have gone back to tapering my benzo.

Gard

Yes, I will eventually come off the Q, also. But since I believe it's giving me sleep and the L is giving me none, I'm going at the L some more. I don't know what the future holds for sleep when I re-start the Q taper. :-\

Hi everyone!

I stopped the drug after a month and after trying for just one week the XR form. I noticed it was affecting my intelligence and absolutely need for work since I'm a researcher. Seriously, it sedated me in a way I didn't like. I suspect it started affecting my dopamine sensibility after a while because my tongue moved a little on its own.

I stopped cold turkey with no consequences. I took 25 mgs every night, tried up to 100 with no significant improvements in sleep and 150 mgs of the XR form for a week. Never again!

After stopping it I felt like somebody unleashed my mind and the speed I process information in my brain came back to normal. That was extremely scary. I'm not disposed to exchange a few hours of sleep with intelligence if better solutions are available.

I switched back to Trazodone and increased it to provide further sedation.

I'm glad the trazodone is working for you. My pharmacist told me she thought it was a safer alternative but, sadly, it did nothing for me.

• 2 weeks later...

hey people in Q group. i've been taking 25-50mg seroquel intermittently for about 1 year for sleep. i'm a bit scared of the serious side effects like TD. anybody had issues with jerks and tremors while on Seroquel. I know those come pretty much from benzo withdrawal. i also read that at those doses Q doesn't hit dopamine receptors, which are related to more serious side effects like TD. any input? i am thinking of switching from Q to remeron which seems to be safer, but the next day sedation is just bad with remeron, while 25mg seroquel i get over pretty quick

Interestingly, my pharmacist suggested I switch from Q to Remeron because she thought it was safer even though I was taking only 25mg of Q. (I am a very thin female. I expect it varies from person to person.)

Reports of even low-dose Q taken daily long term causing nasty side effects like TD are starting to surface. I would try to stay at 25mg if at all possible. And intermittently is not as scary as daily use. My theory is daily use does something to the histamine receptors and makes the drug more likely to hit the dopamine receptors. Just my personal theory from doing lots of reading. I am not a medical person.

I have liquid tappered to 17mg/day with great difficulty and still sleep about the same. The w/d has been nasty, though.

Hope this helps.

Gard

I did research quiet a lot the last couple days. i could not find any data anybody getting TD from under 100mg. but 2 days ago I did what i should have done long ago - I flushed all of my remaining Seroquel pills down the drain.  Sleeping is harder, but I am not even risk 1 more day of this.

So yeah - it is most likely safe as long as it hits h1 receptors, but why risk it...i think benzos are better then seroquel, yeah taper sucks, but won't cause TD, dystonia, and who knows what....

would you even risk a 0.01% getting TD?

Interestingly, my pharmacist suggested I switch from Q to Remeron because she thought it was safer even though I was taking only 25mg of Q. (I am a very thin female. I expect it varies from person to person.)

Reports of even low-dose Q taken daily long term causing nasty side effects like TD are starting to surface. I would try to stay at 25mg if at all possible. And intermittently is not as scary as daily use. My theory is daily use does something to the histamine receptors and makes the drug more likely to hit the dopamine receptors. Just my personal theory from doing lots of reading. I am not a medical person.

I have liquid tappered to 17mg/day with great difficulty and still sleep about the same. The w/d has been nasty, though.

Hope this helps.

Gard

I did research quiet a lot the last couple days. i could not find any data anybody getting TD from under 100mg. but 2 days ago I did what i should have done long ago - I flushed all of my remaining Seroquel pills down the drain.  Sleeping is harder, but I am not even risk 1 more day of this.

So yeah - it is most likely safe as long as it hits h1 receptors, but why risk it...i think benzos are better then seroquel, yeah taper sucks, but won't cause TD, dystonia, and who knows what....

would you even risk a 0.01% getting TD?

Hope this helps.

Gard

Yeah. Wish I could remember where I read that case study. I think it was on PubMed. No idea what I was googling when I found it. Just came across it by accident, so who knows where! ::)

Most OTC sleep meds are some kind of antihistamine, so you could always try that if you get desperate. Or put up with the remeron hang over. If I didn't need it every day and wasn't hooked on it already, I would switch to something else.