Seroquel Support Group

[be...]

I just noticed the same! I even answered on that topic as well.

I'm experimenting to see if it's worth it. If I can only slightly feel better I think I'll switch to my old 25 mg pill at bed time. I don't really want to taper off another drug after I recover from benzo withdrawal.

Also, I really don't know how to taper a XR pill. It isn't supposed to be broken and has to be swallowed whole to be efficient.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [be...]

• [Co...]

• [lo...]

Yes as tricky as any of these meds are to taper , the XR version might prove difficult. I know Surviving Antidepressants forum has a section on it for Seroquel tapering. 

Bets  ;)

Thats a cute wee stick man  :laugh:

Good to see BBs joining is right. I certainly don't have all the answers but I will help in any way I can certainly. 

And no Bets , definitely not a loser. A Survivor  :smitten:

Thanks Rose, you are a sweetie. :smitten: I've been off line for a while because my hard drive crashed and have been w/o my desktop for 8 days. I just bought a new laptop so I tried using that but apparently I got screwed and the model is a piece of S***. But now I am back. I want to hit the guy who recommended this laptop. According to my new tech guy, it is a very old model. Like back from the silent pixs era. And lucky me, the new hard drive only uses Windows 7, so I don't have to deal with 10.

Betsy :)

Bets

Oh I am really pleased that you do get on well with your doctor. It does make for easier living and not feeling stressed having to attend the appointments. My pdoc is a very calm lady. So calm indeed that she would nearly fall over .  :laugh:  . Still , she has a way about her and I am not frustrated by it so its helpful in my recovery. Poor dear , you turned up a week earlier for your appointment.  Better than a week late.  ;) I am from Ireland and the mental health services are getting slightly better but its still a problem. Budget cuts and lack of services especially counselling.

Gardener suggested a great idea for your Seroquel taper. How about a water titration. ??  Might be worth a try.

I think that's the way I'll go. When it is time. But I don't know a thing about titration and I'm sure if I made another post to builder or SG they will ignore me and I would not blame them. So you can find out for me. :laugh: Thank you, GARD.

FOL:

Thanks for joining our little group. :smitten: I was just wondering, did you take the XR? if so, did it make a difference in sleep or anything else? I'm afraid to try it because it can't be cut.

FOL:

Thanks for joining our little group. :smitten: I was just wondering, did you take the XR? if so, did it make a difference in sleep or anything else? I'm afraid to try it because it can't be cut.

I'm just on the second day of it so it's hard to say! I'll keep you informed.

For sure, it made be easier to relax. I even napped...!

Still doing liquid titration of my Seroquel. Neuropathy still bad. Made a cut yesterday and will wait at least a week to make another. This whole w/d thing has made me more and more isolated as the symptoms have gotten worse and worse. Very hard to get out of the house at all. This seems to have done something to my brain. I don't recognize myself.  :(

Gard

I can understand that situation all too well. On top of my early acute withdrawal symptoms , I have gotten a really bad cold which has knocked me for six. The head stuff is awful.

Are you going too fast on the liquid titration ? As you know I did not do liquid so I honestly have no idea about the way it works. The neuropathy has flared up more for you ?

Sorry, Gard,

But I looked it up for you and could not find any correlation between Seroquel and neuropathy pain. Maybe it just revs up your w/d symptoms? I think you just need to hang in there, and like Rose suggested, maybe slow down a bit. That's why a liquid taper helps so much. Or if you  are really concerned, you may want to see a doc just for peace. I'll be praying for you. I so wish to God I had never taken this awful drug! I just can't wait to begin my own taper. You take care, sweetie.  :hug: :hug:

Betsy  :)

Sorry that I'm so slow to respond. Just trying to cope with the pain and other life stress related to family.

I have decided to hold the Q now.

I do have a degenerative nerve condition that is untreatable that can cause neuropathy. I have been bothered by it in the past, in fact, I went through a period of unbearable horrific nerve pain but that was years ago. It has only been annoying with short flares since then. Perhaps this makes me very susceptible to having neuropathy as a w/d symptom.

I have not told my neurologist that I have been cutting my Q and even if I did, he would not believe it causes neuropathy. He says my disorder is progressive and this is just what's happening. I think it's too big a coincidence that it worsened when I started my Q taper and has gotten worse and worse the more cuts I make.

Neurologist wants to add gabapentin to treat the increase in pain. I don't want to add another drug. I am going to hold the Q and see what happens.

Spending a lot of time lying in bed listening to guided meditations. Trying to get out for a short walk every day. Not able to get on the boards much, sorry. :(

Hope you all are doing OK.

Sorry to hear that Gard. Yes, good idea to avoid gabapentin. I got off it easily, but other have much trouble. But it does work, for some at  least. That's a bummer you have to stay in bed this weekend. Actually, I wish I could too, but w/o the pain. I am getting over stressed by packing and getting ready to move. It's provided me with no relief when I was doing so well. So now it's back to 3 hours per night. Along comes with it is bad headache and nausea. You can always taper the Q later. No rush. Then you will find out which one is causing those flareups. I really hope they go away. Just one more thing you do not need right now. :-\ :-\

Betsy :smitten:

I am not on the board much at the moment either. I am dealing with a shocking cold that turned into a sinus infection and an ear infection too so I am really under the weather  :-[  .  This is going on for over 12 days now AND I am not long after getting off Seroquel.  :-\.  Feeling lousy and on antibiotics and ear drops.

Sorry to know about your pain flare up Gard. I did not know that you were also suffering with  an underlying nerve condition. :( too. It is a lot to take on. You are correct to stop the seroquel taper for now.  Give yourself a chance.

Betsy , you are in tbe midst of packing to move house.  It is a stressful time.  No wonder you are having headaches with such little sleep.  I hope you can catch some proper zzzzz soon. :sleepy:

Hi Rose: Yes, but I've gotten most of it done. Now to tackle the other end. I did sleep like a log last night. Tomorrow I have to deal with mover's pricing. Yuck. I want to sleep in. :sleepy:

Thanks birdman. I learned a lot by this link. I guess I am on too much. But I tried it at lower doses and it didn't work. So what's up with that?

Hi BG, thanks :).  It get's fairly addictive after 100-125mg since it starting to hit a1 hard.  At 150 to 250 mg its hitting H1, a1 and a tiny bit of D2 which are the really addictive receptors. 

This is one drug you really can't taper with a calendar because of that champagne fountain effect.  Getting past D2 is one stage and next a1 so people must set taper speed by how they feel and hold when needed.  As you turn off each receptor group the taper changes.  I think the a1 is the hardest part and I went extra slow from 100mg to 50mg.  The taper got easier at 35mg and I could go faster then (h1 phase)

Good luck BG :thumbsup::smitten:

Hi birdman:

thanks again. I am at 200 mg. My pdoc told me to wait until I am healed before tackling the S. He said it is so much easier that way. And I do trust him. What do you think my  taper rate should be? And sorry, what does the champagne effect mean? Anything like benzos? I don't also understand a1 and D2...................

Hi birdman:

thanks again. I am at 200 mg. My pdoc told me to wait until I am healed before tackling the S. He said it is so much easier that way. And I do trust him. What do you think my  taper rate should be? And sorry, what does the champagne effect mean? Anything like benzos? I don't also understand a1 and D2...................

Hi Betsy,  I thought you read this link?? http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html 

I think if you read it again you will figure out everything I was talking about.  Just read it slower and more carefully.  I know all of us have messed up comprehension rates from this ordeal ;)

I have a program that reads to me since I have comprehension trouble's too.  I also do not type any more and just dictate to my computer and it writes "THIS" kind-of stuff for me (I am not typing this, I'm "Speaking it")

I find if I have the computer read to me I can do 1000X more reading (listening actually  :laugh:)

OK, Try reading this one more time :) - http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html 

Check this out

Get it Free here - http://www.mediafire.com/?dtmym2ymgqh

Next have the typing done for you and kick back speak to MS office.

As far as tapering the S  I can tell you this, there will be times where you can taper fast and times where you have to go it at a snails pace.  This has to do with receptor loading and how S interacts with totally different receptors at different dose levels.

Hugs Betsy :smitten:

Birdy the 'computer girl'  :D

Hey I can dictate on my iPhone but how does one speaking to a desktop and listen to it? I'm soooooo confused. I will read that link again, birdie. :)

I read it carefully and now have the picture so thanks. But I don't get it while I was taking 100 mg it worked great for a while and then stopped working? Could this be the reason I have night time wake ups at 200 mg? However, I do feel like Nancy Pelosi getting hit by a van..... :D I'm sure I'll have to read it again tomorrow. TY

I read it carefully and now have the picture so thanks. But I don't get it while I was taking 100 mg it worked great for a while and then stopped working? Could this be the reason I have night time wake ups at 200 mg? However, I do feel like Nancy Pelosi getting hit by a van..... :D I'm sure I'll have to read it again tomorrow. TY

:laugh:  I think it would be an improvement for Nancy Pelosi  :laugh:

I think you got tolerant to the H1 Antihistamine effect of the S.    Antihistamine (H1) tolerance typically takes 90 to 120 days and then your in tolerance on that chemical too sigh :-\

Once your antihistamine receptors are in tolerance no additional increase in S will do any good and your back to that champagne fountain effect where higher doses just spill out on to other receptors like a1 and D2 which are not that effective for sedation. 

When the time comes do not rush it as it can be as bad as B/Z W/D

Take care Betsy :smitten:

:laugh:  I think it would be an improvement for Nancy Pelosi  :laugh:

I think you got tolerant to the H1 Antihistamine effect of the S.    Antihistamine (H1) tolerance typically takes 90 to 120 days and then your in tolerance on that chemical too sigh :-\

Once your antihistamine receptors are in tolerance no additional increase in S will do any good and your back to that champagne fountain effect where higher doses just spill out on to other receptors like a1 and D2 which are not that effective for sedation. 

When the time comes do not rush it as it can be as bad a B/Z W/D

Take care Betsy :smitten:

That's what I suspected. Once my Valium is done, I can't wait to get rid of the damn Q. Please don't remind me of that fact in bold faced. I have nightmares about it. :-\:smitten: Thanks for stopping by and please do so in the future.  I need all of the help I can get.