Important Survey - Please Participate ×

3,2,1: Under 3 mg Valium people

[os...]

I’m not quite at under 3 mg, my dose tonight is 3.091 mg, but I’m so excited to make it to this point, I had to share with people who will appreciate it. I will be below 3 mg on the 29th. Wishing you all health & healing. ❤️

That’s awesome. Congrats!

How fast are you tapering? What’s your monthly percentage rate ?

I’m not quite at under 3 mg, my dose tonight is 3.091 mg, but I’m so excited to make it to this point, I had to share with people who will appreciate it. I will be below 3 mg on the 29th. Wishing you all health & healing. ❤️

Congratulations and welcome!

That’s super! and welcome to the group.

I remember when I finally said goodbye to Ativan and switched to Valium. It was a great feeling.👍

ATU🙏

Hi group! Thought I would report that the sleep jolting has lessened, about half what it was, and I'm getting some sleep. Finally! Yay! :D

Thank you! I’m tapering 10%/10 days currently, which is ~26.7% a month.

Hi group! Thought I would report that the sleep jolting has lessened, about half what it was, and I'm getting some sleep. Finally! Yay! :D

Gard,

So glad to hear this news!  :D

Stay well.

ATU🙏

That is a very fast taper and you may want to slow it down some.

ATU🙏

ATU🙏

Hi All Tied Up. I've seen your schedule and it's an extremely slow taper. Is it valium? It caught my attention. I've been tapering valium for one year, from 5 to 1 mgs and I've hit this terrible wave at 1 mg and had to updose to 1.40 mgs eight days ago and in spite of that I'm still in a horrible wave with panic attacks and pure hell. I read your tapering schedule and was wondering why so slow? Have you possibly had a similar experience to mine at some point and this made you slow down so much?

I’ve been doing pretty well this taper but the last few days has been hell.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m so low on my dose. I just spent the last 3 hours in bed crying, punching pillows, scared for no reason. My emotions are all over the place and I feel insane. Looking for some reassurance that I’m ok.

I’m down to 2.7 of Valium. Maybe this is my acute phase? Maybe the Valium has lost all effect? Or I need to slow down? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ATU🙏

Hi All Tied Up. I've seen your schedule and it's an extremely slow taper. Is it valium? It caught my attention. I've been tapering valium for one year, from 5 to 1 mgs and I've hit this terrible wave at 1 mg and had to updose to 1.40 mgs eight days ago and in spite of that I'm still in a horrible wave with panic attacks and pure hell. I read your tapering schedule and was wondering why so slow? Have you possibly had a similar experience to mine at some point and this made you slow down so much?

Valiumnomore,

I have had a lot of issues along the 3 deaths and wife got cancer. On top of this I am super sensitive to reductions so I go real slow and only proceed when my body lets.

So I failed some tapers and held for long periods after try Dad, Mom and Sister died. A pan up dose when my wife got cancer. And so on.

I don’t want to up dose ever again and so I put no schedule to my taper.

I just got past day 15 of my last cut and had to go to ER because I was doubled over in pain. Couldn’t eat almost passing out. Probably due to over glow of stomach acid into my esophagus. Now on PPi for 3 days but not over that yet.

Anyway, you up dosed only 8 days ago and it can take weeks to start feeling at baseline again so I suggest you wait it out.

Peace & Healing

ATU🙏

ATU🙏

Valiumnomore,

I have had a lot of issues along the 3 deaths and wife got cancer. On top of this I am super sensitive to reductions so I go real slow and only proceed when my body lets.

So I failed some tapers and held for long periods after try Dad, Mom and Sister died. A pan up dose when my wife got cancer. And so on.

I don’t want to up dose ever again and so I put no schedule to my taper.

I just got past day 15 of my last cut and had to go to ER because I was doubled over in pain. Couldn’t eat almost passing out. Probably due to over glow of stomach acid into my esophagus. Now on PPi for 3 days but not over that yet.

Anyway, you up dosed only 8 days ago and it can take weeks to start feeling at baseline again so I suggest you wait it out.

Peace & Healing

ATU🙏

All Tied Up, I'm so sorry to hear you've gone through three deaths in the family and that your wife is ill. I don't know how you people can go through these situations and continue tapering. Nothing huge is going on in my life and in this wave I don't know if I can carry on. How you can manage I don't know. I guess you go so slowly because updosing has brought bad consequences in the past. I regret having updosed to 1.40 from 1 but now what can I do? Maybe if I hadn't updosed I'd be feeling even worse. Hope your wife gets well and wishing you a successful taper.

Valiumnomre,

I have had my share of life challenges but I always tell myself I am blessed by so much else.

I feel your pain but try to remember what is going on in your body is “ disturbing but not dangerous”

These sensation we feel are really 50% or more false sensations that is they are not caused by an actual problem, the signals we interrupt as pain or anxiety or whatever, make uncomfortable extremely so and scare us. Because we are in withdrawal we are very vulnerable to these sensations and feelings and pains.

They are all temporary while our systems adjust to reductions in medication and temporary until we are off all together and return to homeostasis.

Try to keep telling yourself this, find ways to cope and distract.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread. If you have a portable devise like an iPad or tablet. Download the free app. “ insight timer” it is full of excellent guided meditations, relaxation audios and sleep audios.

I think it’s just the greatest app out there.

I know it is hard to relax and accept and I want to highlight “accept” because that is really what is at the core of learning to get through this or any anxious situation. Acceptance!

Try them over and over until they take affect. It may take some practice but you should find eventually some comfort in them.

Remember, many have gone through this successfully thousands perhaps hundreds of thousands.

We can do it too.👍

Hold your dose and learn to relax and accept as best you can.

ATU🙏

Valiumnomre,

I have had my share of life challenges but I always tell myself I am blessed by so much else.

I feel your pain but try to remember what is going on in your body is “ disturbing but not dangerous”

These sensation we feel are really 50% or more false sensations that is they are not caused by an actual problem, the signals we interrupt as pain or anxiety or whatever, make uncomfortable extremely so and scare us. Because we are in withdrawal we are very vulnerable to these sensations and feelings and pains.

They are all temporary while our systems adjust to reductions in medication and temporary until we are off all together and return to homeostasis.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread. If you have a portable devise like an iPad or tablet. Download the free app. “ insight timer” it is full of excellent guided meditations, relaxation audios and sleep audios.

I know it is hard to relax and accept and I want to highlight “accept” because that is really what is at the core of learning to get through this or any anxious situation. Acceptance!

Try them over and over until they take affect. It may take some practice but you should find eventually some comfort in them.

Remember, many have gone through this successfully thousands perhaps hundreds of thousands.

We can do it too.👍

ATU🙏

Great post!  Mary

Valiumnomre,

We can do it too.👍

ATU🙏

Great post!  Mary

All tied up, your answer has been so helpful to me it brought tears to my eyes. I'm not writing more because I'm in pain and it's 2.26, I'm trying to get some sleep to no avail. But thank you. You made me feel less fear. You're an angel.

To those who are struggling, I was helped by an updose. I went back to the last dose I felt OK at. I did it very quickly, so started to see results quickly. My sleep is still not back to where it was, but most of my other symptoms are.

But know that Valium has a long half life. I think it's about a week. You could be feeling a cut from a week ago. An updose would typically take a week or two to take effect.

I agree with ATU that Insight Timer is a fantastic app. I am a big believer in MBSR type of meditation. There are guided body scans on Insight that help me practice this type of meditation every day. Finding a body scan you like and doing it daily is a great way to start meditation and a great way of coping with anxiety.

Gardie :)

ATU🙏

I’m aware it’s on the faster side. If I stay at my current rate I will finish mid-December which is just shy of a year for tapering 20 mg Valium. I started my c/o from klonopin after having been on it for just under a year. My psychiatrist is not willing to amend my taper (I am at a lower dose than she thinks and am stockpiling additional 2 mg tabs) and I have been unable to find another doctor willing to let me control my taper. The laws in the state I live in are changing and I think it is going to become much harder to get a benzo prescription here very soon. I have enough that should I need, I can switch to 10%/14 days, but as long as I am feeling well, I’m going to continue on this path. I have been feeling better and better the lower I get. My symptoms got so much better when I switched to a daily microtaper.

kitsune, I'm glad to hear the faster rate is working out for you. Some people are able to taper that fast and do fine. Also, I am a big believer in building up a stash for emergencies.  :thumbsup:

To those who are struggling, I was helped by an updose. I went back to the last dose I felt OK at. I did it very quickly, so started to see results quickly. My sleep is still not back to where it was, but most of my other symptoms are.

But know that Valium has a long half life. I think it's about a week. You could be feeling a cut from a week ago. An updose would typically take a week or two to take effect.

I agree with ATU that Insight Timer is a fantastic app. I am a big believer in MBSR type of meditation. There are guided body scans on Insight that help me practice this type of meditation every day. Finding a body scan you like and doing it daily is a great way to start meditation and a great way of coping with anxiety.

Thank you Gardie,

I hope you're right and I start feeling better, after feeling so guilty about updosing anyway. I've had insight timer for a year or more and was very keen on Kenneth Soares and others. Maybe kenneth and Lisa A Romano are my favorites.  The problem is, in this wave I spend HOURS in panic and in this state of mind it's impossible to do any guided meditation or so I feel (correct me if I'm wrong). This morning I'm feeling better but in fear that the terror can hit any moment and lasts for hours.

Gardener at what point did you updose and how much?  I'm looking at your signature but I don't see any updose in it, only cuts. Glad the updose worked for you and you could continue with your taper. When you updosed were you getting the terror and panic all day? It's very scary. Didn't know this could happen. Now I live in terror of having to be hospitalized for any reason and not being in control of my taper. This sucks.

Gardener at what point did you updose and how much?  I'm looking at your signature but I don't see any updose in it, only cuts. Glad the updose worked for you and you could continue with your taper. When you updosed were you getting the terror and panic all day? It's very scary. Didn't know this could happen. Now I live in terror of having to be hospitalized for any reason and not being in control of my taper. This sucks.

My sleep was poor last night, so this will be a bit disjointed.

The fear of being hospitalized has been my biggest fear though this whole taper.

It was when my sleep collapsed that I updosed, but my other symptoms were getting bad, too. I did not wait until I was in terror again to updose.

I was very low on my dose and doing daily cuts. I went backwards one week. Maybe I should have gone backwards two weeks. It is the dose correction that is on the last line of my signature. I ran out of space to put in more.

I find that I need to do a guided body scan every day. Some days the scans are just noticing I feel awful while I try to follow the scan. When I was really bad, I don't think I could lie down. I needed better distraction. That was a long time ago, before my long hold (see signature).

When I was really bad I would stick notes around the house and repeat them. Some were to focus on the present and some were to distance myself from the emotion. Maybe just pick one helpful phrase to learn at a time. BTW, when you get used to seeing the note so that you don't notice it, stick it somewhere else so you notice it again.

Examples:

I am safe. It will pass. (Focus on the present. Repeat over and over to stay in the present.)

I noticed I have a tightness in my chest. (Identifying emotions as bodily sensations instead of fear is distancing.)

I had the thought that I am terrified of being hospitalized. (Distancing from thought. Observing the thought rather than getting caught up in it.)

I noticed that I had the thought that I am terrified of being hospitalized. (Even more distancing.)

After you observe a thought, then you "change the channel" which means shifting to a different thought that has nothing to do with your fears. I will say to myself, "Change the channel." I have a list of distractions on my refrigerator I can go to if I can't think.

Theses things are hard at first and seem impossible, but if you practice them, really practice them, they will become automatic. That's when they really help, when your mind automatically goes to the coping thoughts instead of getting caught up in the panicky thoughts.

Super tired and can't go back to look for mistakes. Hope I didn't miss anything. Hope it helped.

P.S. I can't remember all the people I listen to on Insight Timer, but they are all MBSR meditations. MBSR meditations are about acceptance and focusing on the present, not about anything else. Other kinds of meditations have not helped me in withdrawal. In fact, I find that someone telling me to feel better has only made me feel worse. I have been helped not by doing battle with the negative thoughts and emotions, but by accepting them, and observing them, and not getting caught up in them.

The fear of being hospitalized has been my biggest fear though this whole taper.

It was when my sleep collapsed that I updosed, but my other symptoms were getting bad, too. I did not wait until I was in terror again to updose.

I was very low on my dose and doing daily cuts. I went backwards one week. Maybe I should have gone backwards two weeks. It is the dose correction that is on the last line of my signature. I ran out of space to put in more.

I find that I need to do a guided body scan every day. Some days the scans are just noticing I feel awful while I try to follow the scan. When I was really bad, I don't think I could lie down. I needed better distraction. That was a long time ago, before my long hold (see signature).

When I was really bad I would stick notes around the house and repeat them. Some were to focus on the present and some were to distance myself from the emotion. Maybe just pick one helpful phrase to learn at a time. BTW, when you get used to seeing the note so that you don't notice it, stick it somewhere else so you notice it again.

Examples:

I am safe. It will pass. (Focus on the present. Repeat over and over to stay in the present.)

I noticed I have a tightness in my chest. (Identifying emotions as bodily sensations instead of fear is distancing.)

I had the thought that I am terrified of being hospitalized. (Distancing from thought. Observing the thought rather than getting caught up in it.)

I noticed that I had the thought that I am terrified of being hospitalized. (Even more distancing.)

After you observe a thought, then you "change the channel" which means shifting to a different thought that has nothing to do with your fears. I will say to myself, "Change the channel." I have a list of distractions on my refrigerator I can go to if I can't think.

Theses things are hard at first and seem impossible, but if you practice them, really practice them, they will become automatic. That's when they really help, when your mind automatically goes to the coping thoughts instead of getting caught up in the panicky thoughts.

Super tired and can't go back to look for mistakes. Hope I didn't miss anything. Hope it helped.

No, you made no mistakes Gardie. Thank you very much for your encouraging post full of useful tips to deal with the terror. I really don't want to go there again. This is my first days without terror after nine days. I'm relieved and at the same time terrified of going there again. To avoid it I want to taper slowly, but at the same time if I'm too slow something unexpected could happen and ruin my taper. You can't win until you're OFF of these. I hope you start getting more sleep Gardie. I see you're struggling. I've been sleeping between 0 and 5 hours a night. Many nights of 3 hours. The terror was so bad that sleeplessness wasn't even the worse of everything. Anyway I had a better day today. God help me come off of this. I thought I was so close to the end and SLAM, this wave hit me like I'd never seen one.

Examples:

You're holding at 0.28 of valium?? Really? When you try to get below that you get bad sxs?

You're holding at 0.28 of valium?? Really? When you try to get below that you get bad sxs?

I don't think it is trying to get below a certain number that's the problem. It's because I was tapering at a ridiculously fast pace. ::) I am one of those people who will need to taper to near zero rather than jump from .25mg. From what I've read, those who taper to zero tend to have softer landings than those who jump from a higher dose, so I think it's a good option.

I don't think it is trying to get below a certain number that's the problem. It's because I was tapering at a ridiculously fast pace. ::) I am one of those people who will need to taper to near zero rather than jump from .25mg. From what I've read, those who taper to zero tend to have softer landings than those who jump from a higher dose, so I think it's a good option.

Wow that's terrific. You're almost out of this gardener?? At what point did you slow down your taper? I was going well to 1.25 then I entered in hell for the first time and I realized this is life threatening. I'll be snailing down from here.