SEVERE insomniacs emergency hangout

[Sh...]

LIC, do any of the OTCs like benadryl or sominex help? What about supplements/herbal remedies like melatonin, tart cherry juice, and so forth?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [MT...]

• [Li...]

• [Si...]

Top Posters In This Topic

dammit. stayed awake the whole night. Had a crazy heart beat that kept me awake. Feel really broken right now.  :-\ :'(

Sorry to hear that, Corsair. I've had a lot of those nights since I moved at the beginning of June, after doing pretty well the month before. It's so frustrating!

I was reading some recent posts on another support thread, and came across this passage on a breathing method that's supposed to get the speeding heart to slow down. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it will help:

"When you feel stressed or anxious, adrenaline courses through your veins, your heart beats at a rapid rate, and your breathing becomes quick and shallow. So before I get into the specifics behind how the 4-7-8 breathing trick works, I wanted to explain in my own words what it feels like when you try it. To me, the effect of the breathing technique feels almost like a sedative drug, because in order to hold your breath for seven seconds and then to exhale for eight—when your breath is so shallow and short—your body is forced to slow your heart rate. It has no choice. Holding your breath, and then slowly, deliberately exhaling for eight seconds, causes a chain reaction. It feels like going from a mad-dash sprint to a finish line to a slow, leisurely, calming stroll through the park...When you first start, you’ll be desperate to just take in another breath, or you’ll want to speed up your counting, but if you stick to the numbers (or at least try to), and don’t take any breaks (in other words, consecutively repeat the 4-7-8 without resuming regular breathing), you can literally feel your heart rate slow down, your mind get quieter, and your whole body physically relax. It washes over you like a calming, relaxing drug. I can never remember getting past the first set of 4-7-8."

So I think the idea is just to breathe in for 4, hold for 7, breathe out for 8. Let me know if you try it and have any luck with it.

I already do this for several months now. It seemed to have helped me (never know for sure what it is that really helps) But tonight it just did nothing for me.

It was my heart that was driving me crazy so wasn't a simple insomnia issue.

I know exactly what you mean. There are some nights when it seems like NOTHING helps. It's so mysterious why some sleepless nights can at least be calm and somewhat restful, and others where the body just will not cooperate no matter what. Seems like it's something some of us just have to go through and hope it passes soon on its own...Let's see what tonight brings -- hopefully this is just a short-lived wave!

@[MT...]

@Corsair12 - Are you just taking Seroquel now?  I remember when I took that drug for insomnia it gave me low pressure and then it felt like I had to faint but my body wouldn't be able to and then my heart would start racing.

@Shirah - My sleep is all over the place even though I'm back at the original, normal dosage for my medications.  The times during the day when I actually feel sleepy are random and the length of sleep at is anywhere from 3 to 8 hours now.

I was reading some recent posts on another support thread, and came across this passage on a breathing method that's supposed to get the speeding heart to slow down. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it will help:

"When you feel stressed or anxious, adrenaline courses through your veins, your heart beats at a rapid rate, and your breathing becomes quick and shallow. So before I get into the specifics behind how the 4-7-8 breathing trick works, I wanted to explain in my own words what it feels like when you try it. To me, the effect of the breathing technique feels almost like a sedative drug, because in order to hold your breath for seven seconds and then to exhale for eight—when your breath is so shallow and short—your body is forced to slow your heart rate. It has no choice. Holding your breath, and then slowly, deliberately exhaling for eight seconds, causes a chain reaction. It feels like going from a mad-dash sprint to a finish line to a slow, leisurely, calming stroll through the park...When you first start, you’ll be desperate to just take in another breath, or you’ll want to speed up your counting, but if you stick to the numbers (or at least try to), and don’t take any breaks (in other words, consecutively repeat the 4-7-8 without resuming regular breathing), you can literally feel your heart rate slow down, your mind get quieter, and your whole body physically relax. It washes over you like a calming, relaxing drug. I can never remember getting past the first set of 4-7-8."

So I think the idea is just to breathe in for 4, hold for 7, breathe out for 8. Let me know if you try it and have any luck with it.

I learned a similar technique that's a little easier if you're feeling short of breath. You do the same thing as above but you inhale for a count of 3, hold for 3, then exhale for 6. When you feel able, move up to 4, hold 4, then exhale 8. When that feels OK, you can move up to 5, 5, 10. You can also stop at any level and stay there.

I have the rapid heartbeat at bedtime and in the morning too. Some of it may be side effects of the meds I'm taking but it happens on the nights I don't take anything. I'm currently trying another round of taking meds nightly so I can get some sleep. I'm a bit worried about the rapid heartbeat and fevers that it causes. So I'll have to decide what is worse--not sleeping or having those side effects. I guess if I keep it up I'll have to taper down the road but that feels like something I'm willing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned a similar technique that's a little easier if you're feeling short of breath. You do the same thing as above but you inhale for a count of 3, hold for 3, then exhale for 6. When you feel able, move up to 4, hold 4, then exhale 8. When that feels OK, you can move up to 5, 5, 10. You can also stop at any level and stay there.

I have the rapid heartbeat at bedtime and in the morning too. Some of it may be side effects of the meds I'm taking but it happens on the nights I don't take anything. I'm currently trying another round of taking meds nightly so I can get some sleep. I'm a bit worried about the rapid heartbeat and fevers that it causes. So I'll have to decide what is worse--not sleeping or having those side effects. I guess if I keep it up I'll have to taper down the road but that feels like something I'm willing to do.

It's this breathing technique that allowed me to get the small amount of sleep I did get last night.  Today I've been an emotional wreck.  I want to nap so badly but cannot.  How the hell do us polydrugged / severe insomniacs ever get off this stuff?    :'(

I see getting off the benzos as the #1 priority. I had hoped to do it without taking other meds or polydrugging but that didn't work out. No amount of insomnia will force sleep for me. So I've resigned myself to taking meds for at least a few months and then I'll taper the ones I'm taking. We have to be able to survive all of this.

I know that desperation to sleep. It's a lousy feeling. I hope today has been better for all of you.

@MTfan - Benadryl is nothing more than a placebo for me now.  I haven't heard of Sominex before but I just looked it up and apparently it is just another brand name for the same ingredient as Benadryl.

@Corsair12 - Are you just taking Seroquel now?  I remember when I took that drug for insomnia it gave me low pressure and then it felt like I had to faint but my body wouldn't be able to and then my heart would start racing.

@Shirah - My sleep is all over the place even though I'm back at the original, normal dosage for my medications.  The times during the day when I actually feel sleepy are random and the length of sleep at is anywhere from 3 to 8 hours now.

Same here. I've used benadryl for anxiety and as sleep aid pre-benzo, but it now revs me up, almost like an antidepressant.

@MTfan - Benadryl is nothing more than a placebo for me now.  I haven't heard of Sominex before but I just looked it up and apparently it is just another brand name for the same ingredient as Benadryl.

I tried Benadryl last night and it revved me up and gave me mood swings.  I only got 2 hours of poor quality sleep.  I'm really starting to break down now.

Same here. I've used benadryl for anxiety and as sleep aid pre-benzo, but it now revs me up, almost like an antidepressant.

I'm having an infection again. A high fever. They want me to take some antibiotics, I'm scared  >:(

Is it a real infection or is it a medication side effect / withdrawal side effect?  I often feel like I'm about to catch a cold and then the next day the sick feeling goes away.

Corsair, that stinks. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. If you have to take an antibiotic do you know about avoiding quinolones during wd? I hope you feel better soon.

No, it really is a throat infection with streps. I can even see it myself, it's quite severe. Had 104 F fever. Was on the verge of fainting. Now on the antibiotics.

Everything is bad. Irregular heartbeat is back. I'm so tired. The heartbeat thing at night makes me freak out. DUmDumdumdumdum ....nothing..... dumdumdumdum

Isn't it distracting to hear your heartbeat? Before this I didn't understand how awesome it was NOT to hear my heart beating. These days it's not as loud and there are times enough is going on that I don't hear it but it's still there. Feel better soon Corsair! :smitten:

How is everybody doing here?  I've managed to get back to about 5 hours of sleep per day.  It has been about two months since I hit my breaking point of getting too many zero hour nights of sleep and had to go inpatient.  I'll be getting regular Depakote from a pdoc who specializes in Breggin and Ashton's methods pretty soon.  Hopefully my sleep will probably improve and then I can finally start my withdrawal process again starting with the Depakote first and then finishing with the Klonopin.

LIC - That's great news that you're doing better with sleep, found a doctor you can work with, and are back on a path that leads to getting benzo-free again and eventually healing.

I've had what seems like a setback: having much more of a struggle getting any sleep at all without medication, and some struggle even with medication. But I've started to suspect that right now it's due more to hormonal depletion than benzo withdrawal, and am hoping to go back on HRT and that it may give me the relief I need (dealing with hot flashes/night sweats all the time now).

Well I had a better month in July and only missed 5 nights with 0 sleep. Mostly spaced at one a week. Some nights only got 3 - 4 hours, but it's a lot better than 0. I've had two nights this week though. Tonight being one if them. I just felt off all day yesterday and just knew tonight would suck. Which sucks because I felt nearly normal for almost two weeks. I so didn't want that feeling to end. How's everyone else doing? I had to take a break (mostly) from the boards.

Siggy - Sounds like overall things are going in the right direction for you. I had suspected that no news is good news!

I'm still struggling, and taking time off from work again until things stabilize. Last night, I finally had a med-free night where I slept most of the night. If only that would happen more consistently. I'm having bloodwork done today in advance of going back on hormone replacement therapy, and really hoping that will be the boost I need to stabilize. I want my old life back already!

Siggy - Sounds like overall things are going in the right direction for you. I had suspected that no news is good news!

I'm still struggling, and taking time off from work again until things stabilize. Last night, I finally had a med-free night where I slept most of the night. If only that would happen more consistently. I'm having bloodwork done today in advance of going back on hormone replacement therapy, and really hoping that will be the boost I need to stabilize. I want my old life back already!

I decided to work from home today. It's still hard to do, but I just can't do the get ready and then commute. If I could even get a few hours of sleep it would make all the difference. I went to a new primary care doctor a couple of weeks ago. Had blood test for Thyroid, but it all came back normal. I am low in Vit D. Doc said he never heard of Vit D deficiency causing insomnia though. I just hate that I was feeling so good for a few weeks and then it gets snatched from me.

Hopefully yours will be sorted out soon too!

Siggy,

I am glad that you got some good nights.  That's a great news.  I am still waking up every couple of hours and I feel lucky when get 4 hours of interrupted sleep.  I take 1/2 to 3/4 of Unisom and  magnesium at night.  Tonight I am taking my last pill, or what is left of it.   

Siggy,

I am glad that you got some good nights.  That's a great news.  I am still waking up every couple of hours and I feel lucky when get 4 hours of interrupted sleep.  I take 1/2 to 3/4 of Unisom and  magnesium at night.  Tonight I am taking my last pill, or what is left of it. 

Congrats on the jump!

I can't take any antihistamines for sleep. They don't work at all on me. I tried magnesium too and it helped, but gave me this awful burning skin, so I scrapped it too. If they work for you, I'd say keep at it.

Siggy try to go in the sun 15 minutes per day without protection. You can feel really sick because of vitamin D deficiency. It also causes your body not to take in enough calcium.

Siggy try to go in the sun 15 minutes per day without protection. You can feel really sick because of vitamin D deficiency. It also causes your body not to take in enough calcium.

Thanks, Corsair I've been trying to get more sun. It's hard with a two hour commute then working 8-10 hours. I need to  The doc gave me a script for Vit D2, but I haven't taken any yet. Suppose to take 1 every two weeks.