SEVERE insomniacs emergency hangout

[Sh...]

I bought a Fitbit and have been using the sleep tracking mode on it every night.  It claims that I've been sleeping anywhere from 4 to 6 and a half hours per night.  It shows that I do wake up and I am restless quite often though.  I'm still waiting to see what to do about getting the regular Depakote.  It turns out the compound pharmacy that helped me get off all my meds back in 2007 says they can compound Depakote ER.  I also have two pdocs right now.  I have the regular pdoc who is against me coming off meds and then there is another pdoc who specializes in Breggin/Ashton type withdrawals who I do not see until the end of the month.  I found that taking magnesium glycinate has been very helpful for improving my sleep quality.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [MT...]

• [Li...]

• [Si...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried using a Fitbit also. The main shortcoming seems to be that it only tracks movement. So if you're lying as still as a mummy, you'll trick it into thinking you're asleep when you're not. But I think it can still be a useful tool.

Yeah I've heard that's a problem with the Fitbit too. My wife has one and I tried it out one night. I don't think it was super accurate. I did sleep last night, but I had a lot of bad dreams and kept waking up. Still feeling pretty crappy. I use to feel decent when I'd sleep, but now I'm feeling pretty crappy now after. Although I'll take the sleep over not any day.

Shira, how are you able to take a break from work? I've always wonders how people pull that one off.

Siggy - Today I'm experiencing the opposite of you: had a 0 sleep night, but surprisingly don't feel that bad today, other than my usual shortage of energy. I've been working out every day during my time off, which seems to help how I feel in general, although sleep is mostly still elusive...I'm my own boss (a freelance marketing writer), so the decision is all up to me when/if I take time off. It's a hard decision though, because it means turning away work, which I hate to do. But at this point, I'm sticking to me mantra of health coming first. I've been freelancing for 10 years, so know enough to keep a substantial "rainy day" fund for times when I'm not able to work -- either due to lack of available work or health issues.

Siggy - Today I'm experiencing the opposite of you: had a 0 sleep night, but surprisingly don't feel that bad today, other than my usual shortage of energy. I've been working out every day during my time off, which seems to help how I feel in general, although sleep is mostly still elusive...I'm my own boss (a freelance marketing writer), so the decision is all up to me when/if I take time off. It's a hard decision though, because it means turning away work, which I hate to do. But at this point, I'm sticking to me mantra of health coming first. I've been freelancing for 10 years, so know enough to keep a substantial "rainy day" fund for times when I'm not able to work -- either due to lack of available work or health issues.

Ah ok makes sense. I guess you work from home then anyways?

I'm an in house graphic designer for a large sign company. I've only done small freelance job. Occasionally I can work from home, but not too often. I feel absolutely terrible today. Which sucks because I was feeling pretty good for a few weeks. Just when you think you're making progress, this crap pulls you back in.

Pullling an all nighter here. Feel hopeless :'(

So sorry Corsair! I'm here if you need talk. I slept the last two nights, but still feel terrible today.

So sorry Corsair! I'm here if you need talk. I slept the last two nights, but still feel terrible today.

My fear went through the roof because of some issues. I'm worried sick and of course, sleep is non existent. Hug! I hope it will start getting better for you. Thank you!

My fear went through the roof because of some issues. I'm worried sick and of course, sleep is non existent. Hug! I hope it will start getting better for you. Thank you!

Yeah that doesn't help when something sets you off. I sometimes use a combo of essential oils to help calm me down. I can't remember what my wife puts in it. I know one of them is lavender. I rub on my forehead, temples, neck and wrists. It helps some, especially when there isn't much as an alternative.

Siggy - Actually, I usually work from my clients' offices, since my work is on the computer, and I'm hopeless fixing any computer glitches, relying on my clients for IT help. Also I prefer working in a real work environment vs. home -- keeps me more focused. That said, it's a big plus to have the flexibility to sometimes work at home when dealing with extreme sleep deprivation. (I try to avoid driving in that condition as much as possible.)

Corsair - So sorry -- I thoroughly understand the whole sleepless, restless night experience. I've really been struggling lately also. Last night I couldn't stand another sleepless night and ended up taking both mirtazapine and Seroquel, and still only went into some weird in-between state, not quite awake/not quite asleep. Now I wish I hadn't taken anything, because I still feel crappy. Are you able to exercise at all? I forced myself to go to a yoga class this morning, and found my crappiness level diminished somewhat.

It does help to be in a work envornimet  for sure, but not getting sleep trumps that anyday. I surprisingly fell asleep rathher easily last night. I got in bed around 1:30am but my wife was packing to get ready for a movie extra job she is on today. So the lights were on until 2am. Woke around 8, so got about 6 hours. I could have slept in some, but usually wake up now to avoid sleeplessness the next night. Of course I never had to worry about that before benzos. I could sleep in and still sleep the next night.

Yeah, once upon a time, I was a really good sleeper: could take naps and sleep in, no problem. That ended when I hit my mid-40s...For the last month or so, my biggest problem is I'm not able to initially fall asleep. It's like my shut-off valve is permanently stuck. Which sucks even worse than just the continuous wake-ups, which was my earlier problem.

Yeah I'd at least deal with the multiple wake ups easier than not having a hard time going to sleep. At least then I'd be getting some sleep every night. I just started a vit d prescription as my level is low. It can take a few months to build up to the right level in the blood. No idea if it will help or not, but hopefully will. I know it can cause depression and other issues. I also feel like that sleep switch is broken. It use to be easy to just close my eyes and then I'd be asleep.

I wish there was such a thing as an insomnia vaccine. We all crave some decent natural sleep. I know it will happen for all of us eventually but the waiting feels so long.

Hi MT and Shirah, How was last night? We went to bed around 1:15am and I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. I laid there for about 45 minutes before I got fed up. So I went downstairs to lay on our sofa like I normally do so I wouldn't disturb my wife. She came down after me about 20 minutes later. Gave me a quick massage with calming oil and then I took two Advil. She wanted me to come back upstairs to bed so I did. I figured I'd come back down in an hour if I couldn't fall asleep. Luckily I did fall asleep. I had a few weeks of feeling pretty good, but that ended last Wednesday night. Been in a wave since then.

Hope y'all are doing ok.

I'm sorry to hear that you're wavy right now Siggy. I hope it passes soon.

Last night was super restless but there was some sleep so I'm thankful for that. I feel like it's about impossible most nights to know what kind of night it's going to be. It continues to amaze me that we can walk and talk, and even often work, with little or no sleep. Keep hanging in there.

Hi everyone....I hope every one is doing great and enjoying summer. It always seems to fly by too fast.

I am reading a fabulous book called Rewire Your Brain by John B. Arden. There is a great chapter called "Exercise and Sleep". I highly recommend this book (or at least reading this chapter).

Best,

Fran:)

Hi everyone....I hope every one is doing great and enjoying summer. It always seems to fly by too fast.

I am reading a fabulous book called Rewire Your Brain by John B. Arden. There is a great chapter called "Exercise and Sleep". I highly recommend this book (or at least reading this chapter).

Best,

Thanks Fran, I bought this and will be checking it out soon.

Siggy - Sorry to hear that! I know, it doesn't seem fair at all to be suffering so much for so long (especially for us short-term benzo users).

After a horrific, almost continuous two-month wave in which getting no sleep was the norm, I've been having something of a window the last three nights (getting at least light broken sleep each night). And I'm giving hormone replacement therapy another shot, beginning today -- really hoping that will set things right!

Also, while I've been taking time off from work, I've been diligently going to the gym daily for one to two hours and working up a good sweat. As a result, my thyroid recently tested normal again, after being out of whack previously. So I do agree with Fran that exercise helps, though certainly not a cure-all.

Siggy - Sorry to hear that! I know, it doesn't seem fair at all to be suffering so much for so long (especially for us short-term benzo users).

After a horrific, almost continuous two-month wave in which getting no sleep was the norm, I've been having something of a window the last three nights (getting at least light broken sleep each night). And I'm giving hormone replacement therapy another shot, beginning today -- really hoping that will set things right!

Also, while I've been taking time off from work, I've been diligently going to the gym daily for one to two hours and working up a good sweat. As a result, my thyroid recently tested normal again, after being out of whack previously. So I do agree with Fran that exercise helps, though certainly not a cure-all.

Thanks Shirah. Just trying to move forward the best I can. Glad to hear your thyroid is more back in order.

I know that. We're doing the best we can in a very difficult, seemingly endless battle. But it's not endless -- just seems that way a lot of the time. We will win though...eventually!

Shirah-Glad you are feeling better. If you have a chance please read the book Spark by Dr. John Ratey. I contacted him while reading his book and he is very knowledgeable about Benzo's and exercise. Dr. Ratey feels that when you exercise you make BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) that up regulates Gaba. It's worth a shot right? PM me if you would like to read his emails that he sent me.

Best,

I only slept about 2 hours last night. Just tired of this bs.

I only got 2 hours of sleep last night also and I'm still taking meds that are supposed to knock a rhino on its ass.  This is incredibly stressful especially since I won't be seeing my withdrawal pdoc for another 3 weeks.  I think I'm going to buy a pair of running shoes and try the Couch To 5K program and see if that helps.