Insomniac support group

[Sh...]

I am going to join this support group. I actually feel like if my sleep came back at 17 months off, I would be better. I just started working a new job and my sleep has rapidly declined again. I ordered some herbatonin: .3 milligrams. Last time I took melatonin I was up all night. I think it was a 1 milligram dose. I'm going to try the super low dose of herbatonin.

Has tryptophan worked for anybody? I have Remeron and antihistamines at home which will knock me out but I'm trying to get better without medications. I'm not sure my sleep will ever normalize as long as I have a job and have to work though.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Si...]

• [Al...]

• [MT...]

• [Sh...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else experiencing this weird sleep pattern?

When I lie down I never feel tired and it's not a normal falling asleep feeling. My brain just decides to shut off after unknown period of time and goes straight to light dream sleep.

I have that exact situation.

Drinking Chamomile tea 30 minutes before bed really helps.  When I know it will be a difficult night, I will have a benadryl and Tryptophan several hours before bed.

That all said, when I expect a stressful day (e.g. having to present to the CEO at work the next day), these simple remedies only help somewhat.

I take a small dose of remeron now which does help. Scared of trying chamomile tea. Haven't tried tRyptophan. Isn't that what's in turkey?

Yes, tryptophan is in turkey.  So I consider it safe.  I used to worry about Chamomile tea but several others on BB have made me feel better about it.  They drank the tea all throughout benzo recovery with no problems.

I am going to join this support group. I actually feel like if my sleep came back at 17 months off, I would be better. I just started working a new job and my sleep has rapidly declined again. I ordered some herbatonin: .3 milligrams. Last time I took melatonin I was up all night. I think it was a 1 milligram dose. I'm going to try the super low dose of herbatonin.

Has tryptophan worked for anybody? I have Remeron and antihistamines at home which will knock me out but I'm trying to get better without medications. I'm not sure my sleep will ever normalize as long as I have a job and have to work though.

Tryptophan helps but I cannot tell you how much or if it helps forever.  I experimented with it some - there is some improvement with it.

Bob7, where are you at with sleep now? How long have you been off benzos?

I have been off benzo for one year now.

My sleep got better around month 7 but now it is bad again.

No doubt part of it is due to my job stress.  I call my insomnia anxiety induced and work gives me anxiety.

I am trying some Chamomile tea before bed while reading a book and it does help, in particular on weekends when no work is in my mind.

However, on nights when work anxiety is bad, I struggle.  Today I have a meeitng with the CEO of our company.  In order to sleep last night, I needed the Chamomile tea but also, 2 benadryl tablets and some tryptophan and some vit B and zinc and magnesium glycinate and an advil or aspirin. 

I have read people who have benzo withdrawal anxiety can talk 16 months to 3 years to recover completely.

Boombox,

Is work itself causing anxiety because of the demands or is having to wake up early making the insomnia worse? I had to quit my job early on even in tolerance withdrawal because the stress of having to wake up early caused my insomnia to get worse

Boombox,

Is work itself causing anxiety because of the demands or is having to wake up early making the insomnia worse? I had to quit my job early on even in tolerance withdrawal because the stress of having to wake up early caused my insomnia to get worse

This is a wonderful point.  I would say a big part of my insomnia is due to worrying about having to wake up so early for work. 

Wow, Bob7, that is a lot of stuff for sleep. I have taken an antihistamine once this summer and it helped me sleep and a few tiny doses of Remeron, which has histamine properties at low doses, but I don't want to get dependent on anything. Sometimes my insomnia feels so bad with no escape that I just want to start crying. I'm going to have to take naps after work at this rate.

I think my anxiety is both about having to wake up early and also about the new job. While the job is not that hard so far, I feel like I have to make an impression with everyone, including other staff members and students. I am working as a high school Librarian. I was working as an English teacher last year. Overall, I think my sleep was probably worse a year ago at about six months off, but now I'm 17 months off and I really thought I would regain normal sleep at some point.

It is a lot of stuff but last night was an emergency due to the big day at work.  That only happens a couple of times a year. On most nights I hope I can get by and just chamomile tea.

Two nights of very little sleep after my last cut. 

But right after I cut I had a day and half of a window.  Just time where I felt okay and did not have the  daily crying and depression like Ive been having. 

Now it seems like my nighttime dose just works against me.  It's like my brain can't relax all night.  Hoping tonight that exhaustion will tip me into sleep.

I rotate a small amount of melatonin with magnesium gylcinate and L-Tryptophan.  The melatonin makes me sleepy and then the

Clonzapam does nothing.  Never did really work for sleep. 

To anyone having anxiety induced insomnia.

I used to use just any brand of L'Theanine which helped some but often also gave me headaches.

I recently found a brand which is not derived from tea (it is some other process).  Taking just 1/2 capsule along with a cup of chamomile tea 30 minutes before bed removed my anxieties.  I actually take 1/4 a capsule directly into my mouth and the other 1/4 capsule mixed into the chamomile tea.  Here is the brand:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036H0CV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I feel pretty good this morning.

Modify message

I used to use just any brand of L'Theanine which helped some but often also gave me headaches.

I recently found a brand which is not derived from tea (it is some other process).  Taking just 1/2 capsule along with a cup of chamomile tea 30 minutes before bed removed my anxieties.  I actually take 1/4 a capsule directly into my mouth and the other 1/4 capsule mixed into the chamomile tea.  Here is the brand:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036H0CV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Modify message

Thanks for sharing this.  I used to use L-Theanine during my previous medication tapers and it helped.  Havent used during my benzo taper. 

Did you use any L-theanine for sleep when tapering?  I cant use anh benadryl like substances because I have the opposite reaction. 

Modify message

Thanks for sharing this.  I used to use L-Theanine during my previous medication tapers and it helped.  Havent used during my benzo taper. 

Did you use any L-theanine for sleep when tapering?  I cant use anh benadryl like substances because I have the opposite reaction.

Yes I did use it L’theanime in taper except I think it sometimes gave me a slight headache. This new form of L’Theanine doesn’t seem to give headaches. At least I hope.

I think antihistamines like Benedryl work for a while but then after several days or weeks they tend to backfire so I only use them during emergencies

• 1 month later...

Following.

Bob7's sig alone is more answers than I've found in 3 weeks

Still "holding" since trying to reduce single dose @ night "for sleep" Xan.

At a loss beyond "general directions", none of which apply to staving off interdose to preserve NIGHT dose (frustrate)

There was NO SLEEP decades before the Xan, this won't magically reverse OFF of it (but I'd like to keep what remains of my rotted mellon)...

Very Grateful what I've seen so far

LC

Following.

Bob7's sig alone is more answers than I've found in 3 weeks

Still "holding" since trying to reduce single dose @ night "for sleep" Xan.

At a loss beyond "general directions", none of which apply to staving off interdose to preserve NIGHT dose (frustrate)

There was NO SLEEP decades before the Xan, this won't magically reverse OFF of it (but I'd like to keep what remains of my rotted mellon)...

Very Grateful what I've seen so far

LC

I read your signature and see you are struggling with lots of things.

There are things you can do to improve your sleep but most of them don't work  very well until after you're totally off the benzo withdraw.I will name a few anyway but don't expect greatness from them until you are off benzo  for a while.

For some people, they have a condition which causes vitamin B6 to flush out of the system quickly. In those special cases adding some vitamin B6 before bed is supposed to help the sleep. You need vitamin B6 and a little zinc in order to create the gabba needed for sleep. 

It is said that people with ADHD are suspectable to this condition which I think is my case,

I also do the other things which I know you have read in my signature. They have all helped me but they didn't work too much while I was deeply still on benzos but they are better than nothing.

There is hope. I've been off benzos for a while and I retired which reduced my anxiety and I am sleeping better.  I am currently experimenting with the vitamin B6.

It is said that people with ADHD are suspectable to this condition which I think is my case,

I also do the other things which I know you have read in my signature. They have all helped me but they didn't work too much while I was deeply still on benzos but they are better than nothing.

THANKS Bob7

My "things" are small compared to others; it's quite humbling. I know folks w/ Anxiety. To truly understand, I'd need to also have it.

Doing my best to "brace myself" cause I can see no way OFF the Xan ("insulin" for a missing sleep pancreas) without kicking sleep as well ...

Sleep's the only relief for the "black void" I feel awake. A comfort I must let go gracefully. Or let it go while pitching a hissy  ;)

I've been loading up on anti-oxidants, etc. To supplement beyond neuro-protect now may defeat NEEDED effect in the future.

The taper still has enough (1mg) @ night to take me down. It used to take all of 1.5 - Maybe neurons are less worse.

Holding "day dose" off long as I can - maybe it'll eventually go away? Maybe night dose will come down after that?

No, I don't know how this works.  :sick:  For "one dose" ppL such as myself, I mean

LC

PS - My ADHD med (short 1/2 life) prn lowered on its own - no effort. No sx. Less still works, idk why

THANKS Bob7

My "things" are small compared to others; it's quite humbling. I know folks w/ Anxiety. To truly understand, I'd need to also have it.

Doing my best to "brace myself" cause I can see no way OFF the Xan ("insulin" for a missing sleep pancreas) without kicking sleep as well ...

Sleep's the only relief for the "black void" I feel awake. A comfort I must let go gracefully. Or let it go while pitching a hissy  ;)

I've been loading up on anti-oxidants, etc. To supplement beyond neuro-protect now may defeat NEEDED effect in the future.

The taper still has enough (1mg) @ night to take me down. It used to take all of 1.5 - Maybe neurons are less worse.

Holding "day dose" off long as I can - maybe it'll eventually go away? Maybe night dose will come down after that?

No, I don't know how this works.  :sick:  For "one dose" ppL such as myself, I mean

LC

PS - My ADHD med (short 1/2 life) prn lowered on its own - no effort. No sx. Less still works, idk why

The vitamin B6 supplement taken right before bed with zinc really seems to be helping my sleep. Also avoid foods with MSG. 

No matter what you do you're going to have troubles during tapering. You just have to put up with that - drinking camomile tea will help.  Also decaffeinated black tea.

THANKS Bob7

LC

The vitamin B6 supplement taken right before bed with zinc really seems to be helping my sleep. Also avoid foods with MSG. 

No matter what you do you're going to have troubles during tapering. You just have to put up with that - drinking camomile tea will help.  Also decaffeinated black tea.

What brands of zinc and B6 do you take?

For Zinc, it is easy:  Here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797NSHQX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For Vitamin B6, I am currently using https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z8VGE6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I have read about a different type of B6 which is supposed to be better for people with the sleep problem (something about how the body processes it).  I am going to try it tonight.  Here is the link:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KJPPTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally, I take a low dose type of Vitamin B complex (also at night) thinking the other B vitamins might also be needed for this condition.  It is found here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7R4F7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once more thing, Magnesium Glycinate is vital for benzo withdrawal anxiety induced insomina:  I use this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00013YZ1Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, when really stuck on sleep, I will take 1/2 advil or aspirin and, when real bad, benedryl.  Also, Chamomile tea and decaffeinate black tea.

Remember, you are still tapering.  NONE of this will help too much until you are all done with the taper.  So keep your expectations low.  It will help but you really need to get off the benzo before these over the counter helps do too much.

Something important.

I never take the whole capsule for those B6 vitamins.  I typically open it up and only take 1/4 to 1/3 of it at bed and then repeat when I wake up in a few hours.

Also, there is a test to see if you need more B6.  The way I understand it, if you can remember your dreams, you have enough vitamin B6.  That is, if you take more B6, you should notice you recall your dreams better.

If anyone in fairfield county, CT/around the area, maybe even in NYC (Manhattan) wants to meet up and talk about the drug and what they have been doing to cope and deal with whats going on. Wants to meet up, maybe even a group, the bigger the better. We'll even talk about suing, if anyone wants to do that.  i'll introduce myself and talk about myself, etc.

Edit: personal info removed

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm in the process of tapering Clonzapam and my sleep is starting to deteriorate more.  I know there rebound insomia from tapeing but wanted to ask specifically about adding in zinc for sleep. 

I currently use a tiny amount of melatonin, and will skip using it since nights, along with magnesium gylcinate nightly.  It's the dropping of part I have trouble with.  Even though my nightly dose of Clonzapam is larger than the daytime dose, it still takes me about 2 hours to fall asleep if I'm going to. 

I saw some posts about zinc and wanted to follow up. 

Hi,

I'm in the process of tapering Clonzapam and my sleep is starting to deteriorate more.  I know there rebound insomia from tapeing but wanted to ask specifically about adding in zinc for sleep. 

I currently use a tiny amount of melatonin, and will skip using it since nights, along with magnesium gylcinate nightly.  It's the dropping of part I have trouble with.  Even though my nightly dose of Clonzapam is larger than the daytime dose, it still takes me about 2 hours to fall asleep if I'm going to. 

About Zinc.  I read taking certain B vitamins with zinc helps convert glutamate to gaba and therefore helps with sleep.

You must be very careful with the B vitamins.  Some work the opposite effect.

Here is exactly what I do and it does reduce insomnia (unless I am in a wave of anxiety):

(1) Before bed, take Pyridoxal 5’-Phosphate (do not take regular B6, it doesn't work with MTHFR).  Take very little, like 1/4 of the tablet, just let melt in your mouth.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O2IZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note, if you take too much, you might get muscle spasms.

(2) Before bed, take some zinc to help convert glutamate to gaba.  I take perhaps 1/2 of the tablet of:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020ICLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(3) A variety of other things may be of some help:  Magnesium glycinate and maybe ¼ of an advil or aspirin and some L’theanine and chamomile tea.

For emergencies only, Unisom or Benadryl really works as long as I only use it for a few days.

Hi,

About Zinc.  I read taking certain B vitamins with zinc helps convert glutamate to gaba and therefore helps with sleep.

Here is exactly what I do and it does reduce insomnia (unless I am in a wave of anxiety):

(1) Before bed, take Pyridoxal 5’-Phosphate (do not take regular B6, it doesn't work with MTHFR).  Take very little, like 1/4 of the tablet, just let melt in your mouth.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O2IZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(2) Before bed, take some zinc to help convert glutamate to gaba.  I take perhaps 1/2 of the tablet of:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020ICLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(3) A variety of other things may be of some help:  Magnesium glycinate and maybe ¼ of an advil or aspirin and some L’theanine and chamomile tea.

For emergencies only, Unisom or Benadryl really works as long as I only use it for a few days.

Thank you Bob.  I will try the zinc, starting at a low level.  I'm going to stay back from the b vitamins at this time until I'm off. 

I wish I could take unisom or Benadryl but I'm one of those people who has the opposite reaction, they make me hyper. 

Did you wait till you were off to start drinking chamomile tea?

Hi,

Thank you Bob.  I will try the zinc, starting at a low level.  I'm going to stay back from the b vitamins at this time until I'm off. 

I wish I could take unisom or Benadryl but I'm one of those people who has the opposite reaction, they make me hyper. 

Did you wait till you were off to start drinking chamomile tea?

I used the Chamomile tea on and off with ok results.  I can say, chamomile extract (available on Amazon) with a little L'theanine does help me greatly.  I take them both about 30 minutes before bed and start reading until I "feel the sleep coming on".  I do not use this all the time because a few people tell me chamomile might impact our gaba receptors.  There is no clear answer on this so I use chamomile extract (and the tea) sparingly.