The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

prettydaisys, do you get any treatment, e.g. physiotherapy or other bodywork, for your legs? Does anything help it, like stretching or walking? I know the feeling you're describing, but for me, it's all about tight muscles that come from trying not to fall. I'm glad to hear you get some dizzy-free moments, though, since that's always a good sign of healing.

Lapis,

i got hit so hard this last c/t that i had not been able to even move my body until the end of this past Feb. when i had a 3 day partial window. i took advantage and finally did some floor excercises and stretches for the first time since the c/t...pretty bad huh?  -- i was so happy that i was finally able to contort my body like and that i wrote on my blog and told my parents. as it was coming out of my mouth i couldn't believe that i was saying "for the first time in 2 1/2 years i am able to do some light stretches and floor exercises"... can't believe how my life to this nasty turn. :o

Prettydaisys, it's amazing to hear that! Good for you! Did it feel good to move? I hope so. Tight, weak muscles are painful by definition. They need to be flexible and strong in order to function at their best. Just keep doing what you can, since that's all you can do. Little by little.......one step at a time.....All the best to you, PD!

LM, I honestly don't know how you work.  I feel guilty complaining at all as I can be at home and have no real pressures to deal with during w/d. You have my heart and I hope this lets go of you very soon...What helps you on a bad day?. ..Wishing you some peaceful sleep .  ..coop

Prayer and my son's hugs :-) that's what gets me through a very hard day. Also a good cry, gospel music and a call to a friend or two.

Also...BB's does so much for me  :smitten:

LovingMother-I am a single mom too but my kids are in college and my daughter lives in Boston so I am an empty nester. I take every day as it comes and you are doing the best that you can given the circumstances. I think you live in NY right? I'm in Philly/NYC. Spring is almost here:) My shrink said she thinks I should be much better by 4-6 months due to the exercise (since that has a very big part of recovery with the brain) but who know. When my hair was shedding she told me I was in menopause wrong!! What I miss the most right now is having a glass of wine. I went out in NYC last week and I was the only person at the bar drinking water? Not fair at all:)

Francesca

I'm from NYC but I live in the DC area now  :smitten:

Well I'm happy to report that yesterday eve through the night was nice. I was standing in the middle of the living room and realized I wasn't shaking, floaty, nothing...I felt close to normal! It felt great!

Did VRT last night, whizzed through it.

Today was a little tough with balance but not like last week  :smitten:

I love relief!

LovingMother, that's great news! I'm so happy to hear that! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues for you. You're clearly on your way.

I'm having a wobbly, painful day, but at least I haven't had any 9s (out of 10) in the past few days. For me, that's a good thing.

Your post about your son's hugs and gospel music brought a smile to my face.  :)

Okay, now for something completely, here's a song that you might want to sing, whistle or hum on the days when you're feeling really bad, since it might just cheer you up!

It's called "Dizzy" by Tommy Roe:

I've actually got a list of more than 130 songs on a similar theme -- dizzy, rocky, sailing, falling, shakin' and all the rest! Yup.  ;D

LovingMother, that's great news! I'm so happy to hear that! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues for you. You're clearly on your way.

I'm having a wobbly, painful day, but at least I haven't had any 9s (out of 10) in the past few days. For me, that's a good thing.

Your post about your son's hugs and gospel music brought a smile to my face.  :)

Thank you :-) also when he says, I love you Mommy. Brings tears to my eyes. He's so sweet. He is my reason to get through this storm. We have a long life to live and things to see and with me being totally well!  :smitten:

Lovingmother-Great news!!! I hope everyone had a great day today. My balance wasn't bad today but my vision in the PM was off...If it's not one thing it's another right? LOL

Francesca:)

This 2005 study from the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand states "GABA and the GABAA and GABAB receptors play a pivotal role in the coordination of the central vestibular pathways." By taking benzodiazepines, which act on GABA, our vestibular systems have been greatly affected over a period of time. I have yet to come across a study that clearly states what is happening in the vestibular system as we're recovering from having taken benzos, since most of these studies focus on "lesions" or injury (in the traumatic sense).

The other study (2009) linked below states that, "The vestibular system has the ability to repair deficits due to functional lesions, which is known as vestibular compensation." As well, it says that "vestibular compensation is not a static phenomenon but a fluctuating process which can be influenced by therapeutic procedures." Whether a "functional lesion" is similar to benzo withdrawal-type disequilibrium is a good question, but once again, it brings up the issue of whether vestibular rehabilitation (VRT) can address this symptom.

Please share your experiences with VRT, since the feedback here on BB seems to be quite mixed. Bear in mind that VRT isn't standardized and each person will likely be given a different set of exercises depending on the findings of the therapist who does the assessment.

Here are the two abstracts:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15713530

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387595

This evening I picked up my son from daycare, we then took a walk around the parking lot!

I couldn't do this all winter...today...the whole parking lot!

It felt great!!!  :smitten:

I feel light a giant hand is pushing me down,like i am made of cement,standing my legs feel like i am in a boat going up and down,shoulders are being pulled  up to my ears. Yesterday marked two years off for me ,anyone else out there like me? Dippstdoodle is me.

LM...I am so happy to hear that you have had some relief from this.  That's how mine lifts.  All of a sudden I just realize it's not there.. I am wishing you more and more of those moments. Those moments will turn into days...coop

I feel light a giant hand is pushing me down,like i am made of cement,standing my legs feel like i am in a boat going up and down,shoulders are being pulled  up to my ears. Yesterday marked two years off for me ,anyone else out there like me? Dippstdoodle is me.

hey Dipps,

i'm here with you. fighting like hell everyday. waiting for a change.

Dippsydoodle, it sounds like your symptoms are very similar to your fellow Dizziness Group posters. I read your signature at the bottom of your post, and you really had a rough go of it. I really, really wish you well, and I can tell you that you're in good company here in terms of both your dizziness and your sore muscles. They seem to go together.

Hi Dizzy's-I hope everyone had a great night sleep it's another new and fun day in the benzo journey...lol

I was reading the Ashton manual last night about balance etc. There are exercises that Ashton recommends that might help with floating and balance. I'm going to try them and report back to everyone:)

The sun is out and it's going to be 61 degrees today. Spring is happening.

Francesca:)

I originally had vertigo. .was given lorazepam. Today is 90 days off.

have a severe cold since 2 days.

Dizziness, floating boat sensation. .hissing in ear.

loud.ear pressure.

Body being pushed to one side..

fear of falling from bed.

is this withdrawal

Yes, the symptoms sound eerily familiar, but it's important to have things checked out. There are SO many causes of dizziness. Have you had testing done? What happened with the original vertigo? Was it diagnosed?

[fb...]
Do you guys notice that just trying to do what you normally did before,such as basic walking while moving your head to look around and up and down,bending down to put clothes in the dryer,loading the dishwasher,stooping to pet your dog,etc.seems like the hardest therapy of all to help our head pressure and ears rebalance?I couldnt go for walks for almost a year because my balance was so off,vision was off and like some of you guys mentioned,I felt like Ive been leaning to the side when walking.I can walk alittle better on good days,which are more of a woozy feeling,but I still fight the bad dizzy days and it seems so much easier to just go sit down and forget trying to get around!I wonder if trying to do what we used to do,the best we can manage for now that is,ends up being the best therapy for helping our heads rebalance and get back to homeostasis?I always worry about falling from the dizziness,almost have several times,but hopefully have caught my balance in the nick of time!Maybe almost tipping over helps me learn to rebalance too! :laugh:

Do you guys notice that just trying to do what you normally did before,such as basic walking while moving your head to look around and up and down,bending down to put clothes in the dryer,loading the dishwasher,stooping to pet your dog,etc.seems like the hardest therapy of all to help our head pressure and ears rebalance?I couldnt go for walks for almost a year because my balance was so off,vision was off and like some of you guys mentioned,I felt like Ive been leaning to the side when walking.I can walk alittle better on good days,which are more of a woozy feeling,but I still fight the bad dizzy days and it seems so much easier to just go sit down and forget trying to get around!I wonder if trying to do what we used to do,the best we can manage for now that is,ends up being the best therapy for helping our heads rebalance and get back to homeostasis?I always worry about falling from the dizziness,almost have several times,but hopefully have caught my balance in the nick of time!Maybe almost tipping over helps me learn to rebalance too! :laugh:

Normal things aren't normal any more. I have a 3 year old. I'm always having to bend over for him. I get very sad...but I have to do it. Praying that 1 day the clouds/head pressure/balance crap will be released forever!

LM...I am so happy to hear that you have had some relief from this.  That's how mine lifts.  All of a sudden I just realize it's not there.. I am wishing you more and more of those moments. Those moments will turn into days...coop

Thank you :-) the window of relief closed. A bad headache woke me up. Took some Motrin. I have head pressure, balance is off, etc.

Thankful for last night. That was a joy. Depending on how I feel I will go for a walk today after work.

Normal things aren't normal any more. I have a 3 year old. I'm always having to bend over for him. I get very sad...but I have to do it. Praying that 1 day the clouds/head pressure/balance crap will be released forever!

I think these are some of the most distressing issues for all of us, aren't they? Omigosh. I really just want to do "normal" activities without requiring so much energy and without the sensation of floating and falling and without my muscles tiring. I know everyone else does too. I'm having a less-dizzy day today, and that always reminds me that my brain isn't completely broken (!) but just in the midst of mending. It seems to take sooooo long, though, and now that it's spring (almost), I just want to get out there.

Anyway, 2200, on your question, I think we all have to figure out what we can manage to do. I've had to ask for a lot of help throughout this period, and I can tell you, it doesn't feel very good to do so but I'm SO glad that there are people willing to help. I hope to pay them all back in kind when I'm able. But it probably does help to stay as mobile as possible under the circumstances. Staying strong will help you avoid falling. I'm doing my best but I'm VERY far from where I want to be. Judging by the feedback here, it seems that there's a huge range of what people can do. There are just so many individual factors.

In the end, I think it's a case of DYB, i.e. Do Your Best! But please, Everyone, don't fall! No broken bones, please!!

LM, I think you're doing a fantastic job! I know you're bummed out about it all, but you're really doing the best you can, and that's all anyone can be asked to do, right? Right!

:smitten: 

I wonder if trying to do what we used to do,the best we can manage for now that is,ends up being the best therapy for helping our heads rebalance and get back to homeostasis?

i definitely think the brain needs to be tricked and tricked often. but it's still hard for me to get into that position of tricking the brain because of how bad i feel and can't really do much movement yet still.

so some of you guys have the leaning over to the one side. i have it falling foward. when i'm in a bad wave i am always falling forward. my brain pulls me forward and down. like when i'm brushing me teeth or washing my face -- i'm always forward. when i feel and notice myself standing upright it's such a relief.