The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

My head feels all over the place so walking close to walls is a must today. My right ear feels funny, like it wants to pop or do something but it can't or won't.

Yep...I'm at work. Happy Hump Day!

A little emotional...a lot of uproar at my job. One of my good friends got fired today. Her boss was so mean and my is not only sweet...but knows her stuff  :'(

Hi LM! That must be weird -- the firing thing. Glad you have a good boss, though. I'm sure that helps when it comes to understanding your situation too.

Wall-walking is likely one of our specialties as floaty boaters! I have to use a walker for now, which sucks big time. This ugly thing has saved me from falling on a number of occasions, though, so what can I say? Can't wait to trade it for a bicycle.

Hi LM! That must be weird -- the firing thing. Glad you have a good boss, though. I'm sure that helps when it comes to understanding your situation too.

Wall-walking is likely one of our specialties as floaty boaters! I have to use a walker for now, which sucks big time. This ugly thing has saved me from falling on a number of occasions, though, so what can I say? Can't wait to trade it for a bicycle.

I'm fortunate but have my problems at work...too much to go into. I'm actually looking for other work and praying this head stuff/balance crap is done for by the time I'm hired. My whole organization is going through it...I feel uncomfortable at times  :'(

But I try to remain positive. When she called me from home and I heard the pain in her voice I almost cried.  :'(

Sorry about the walker. I pray everyday for God to keep me on my feet without assistance.

This ear thing is bothering me...maybe it will pop one day or the fluid is draining and I can get some relief soon.

I see the ENT tomorrow morning...stay tuned.

One day you will be on your bike!!!  :highfive:

Yes, right, ENT tomorrow! Good timing, if your ears are bothering you.

Take care, LM, gotta go, but I'm sending good wishes your way!

[5a...]
LovingMother,I hope your ear stuff gets better!I get that fluid thing too and sometimes my ear does pop.Kind of makes ya jump when it does,yet feels so much better!Hate,hate what the benzos have done to our ears and balance! :(

LovingMother,I hope your ear stuff gets better!I get that fluid thing too and sometimes my ear does pop.Kind of makes ya jump when it does,yet feels so much better!Hate,hate what the benzos have done to our ears and balance! :(

2200...yes! Except mine won't pop...it's just pressure. My ENT doctor has helped clear up the sinus congestion and now he wants to see how he can support me with the fluid in the ears. I'm thankful to have him and others who medically understand what's happening with me.

How long have you been going through the dance with balance issues? It's just insanity!  :tickedoff:

I will keep you all posted!

[5a...]
I have had the dizziness,balance,ear pressure/ pain,jaw pain and tinnitus for almost 4yrs.It came on after using Lorazapam for two weeks straight,then a few days here and there a month.It was the worst during inner dose withdrawal,before I knew it was benzos.I happened across this site and used to lurk and read what everybody was going through,and thats when I finally knew it was the Lorazapam.For me there was no way I  can take these as needed/off and on and not pay for it later.I quit 4-12-14,and the dizziness and balance has been bad almost everyday.I am finally getting some windows the last few months where its more woozy then dizzy,but I still get days where I also get slammed with head pressure and the worst dizzy feeling.About 3 weeks ago,I went 2 weeks straight with head and ear pressure where I could feel the fluid moving around in my ears.It throws my vision off,and when I walk I had to hold onto things because I was afraid I might fall.When I try and walk around my yard to get some exercise,I stagger so much,I wonder if the neighbors think Im drunk!The head pressure did ease some in the past week or so,my ear popped and I was surprised to find I could hear alittle better.I didnt realize I had that much pressure to effect my hearing,I thought my hearing wasnt too bad.I think what I hate the most about it,is because I get woozy and dizzy,that triggers anxiety,especially when in stores.

Hi 2200! Welcome aboard our floaty boat! I really am amazed at how many are affected by these drugs in this way, since it's such a horrible symptom. I give you much credit for trying to get out there and do things in your yard and at stores, but clearly, it's not easy for you. I totally understand. Just make sure you take care of yourself and sit down if you need to, okay? It doesn't matter what the neighbours think, and hopefully, if they're nice neighbours, they'll be caring and concerned rather than judgmental. Let's hope so anyway! But the truth is, benzos and alcohol affect the same neurotransmitters, so the "ataxia" that people get from drinking too much is similar to our experience with benzos. They all affect GABA receptors.

By the way, have you had your ears checked? If there's something going on there, it's best to get it taken care of so that your body has the best chance of healing. I had a weird hearing issues, but not a lot of pressure. It seems that it's a common symptom, though.

Thank you for starting this post. I had two ear infections while I was taking 5 mg of valium within 6 months. Both ear infections were in my right ear. I thought it was odd that I had two ear infections at my age (50 years old) because I have not had an ear infection  since I am a kid. I'm starting to wonder if the ear infections were caused by the valium.  Does anyone have any idea?

Thank you for starting this post. I had two ear infections while I was taking 5 mg of valium within 6 months. Both ear infections were in my right ear. I thought it was odd that I had two ear infections at my age (50 years old) because I have not had an ear infection  since I am a kid. I'm starting to wonder if the ear infections were caused by the valium.  Does anyone have any idea?

I wouldn't be shocked...my right ear aches a lot and since benzos hit the ears so badly. It's no coincidence...I'm sure it was the benzo.

The way a lot of us find out what's happening is by process of elimination. If you've had the proper check-ups for possible causes of such symptoms, and they come up with "No, it's all normal!", then it might just be the benzos.

LovingMother-Thank you for your response. I remember going to an ENT and asking why I was recently getting ear infections not thinking it could have been the 5 mg of Valium. Her response "I'm getting older"...Ever since I was on Valium I would feel a little bit of rockiness and all of my friends always said it was my sinuses. I'm starting to think it was the Benzo. It did disappear and didn't last the entire time I was on Valium so who knows. The first time I had a ear infection my symptom was Vertigo which was very scary and then I had pain in my right ear. I can't believe Valium can give you an ear infection. The second time I had the ear infection my symptom was popping in the right ear and a little dizziness but not true Vertigo. 

[5a...]
Thanks Lapis2!I did see a doctor about my ears,but she said I didnt have an infection or anything.At the time I didnt know it was from the benzos,so I never thought to ask the Dr. about it.I had one Dr. tell me sometimes dizziness will burn itself out and go away on its own.She gave me a prescription for an antibiotic thinking it could be a sinus infection,but it didnt do anything to improve my symptoms.I tried some different epley maneuvers,but that seemed to make things worse.My usually mild allergy symptoms pre benzo went crazy in withdrawal,its like everything is so exagerated in how a person feels going through this.Its interesting that some have more pain in one ear than the other.Mine is mostly the left ear and jaw,but the ear popping is more on the right ear.Tinnitus feels like both ears.Im getting alittle bit more encouraged when ive read that some people go from very dizzy to more of a woozy feeling before this went away.I think thats where Im getting to,more woozy off balance days and less full blown dizzy days.I so cant wait until this nightmare is over!

Isn't it funny that "woozy" sounds good, 2200?! It sounds better than full-blown floaty-boaty-dizziness, so yes, please, I'd like to order some "woozy"!

A lot of us have ear symptoms, so if yours have all been checked out and you've had all of the tests, then it can be the benzos. I've had hissing in my left ear since the dizziness began almost four years ago. I also had hyper-sensitive hearing for a long time, to the point that water seemed too loud. It's an awful symptom.

Hang in there, 2200! We have to keep reminding ourselves that the body tends toward healing, as long as we don't counteract its efforts. So, if you're taking pretty good care of yourself, eating as well as you can, trying to get enough rest, etc., then hopefully, time will take care of the rest.

Hello Lapis2,

Thank you for starting this thread.  I have a question regarding laying on my right side and feeling a boaty and very uneasy feeling.  This has been going on two years but as time goes on it has gotten better but than bad again.  If I lay on my left side I don't hardly have these feelings. Unfortunately for me laying on my left side causes other pain from the w/d.  I am unable to lay down much do to so many problems of w/d and find I do much better during the day and always keep moving around.  Laying or sitting positions are just not my friend.

I was going to check into physical therapy for the ears to see if this could help.  Any recommendations?

I hope someday this will get better.

Thanks for your help. I hope you can understand what I am trying to communicate.  I still have a hard time expressing myself.

Hey IslandGirl,

Hello! Your name fits in well with the watery theme here! Thanks for joining us. It sounds like you're able to be fairly active if your symptoms happen mostly when you're sitting or lying.

Here are my thoughts, and I'm sure others can weigh in with their ideas as well: If you haven't had proper vestibular testing and appropriate ENT check-ups, then it's probably a good idea to do so. Some of us have had neurological and vision tests as well. There are many, many things that can cause dizziness and they have to be checked out. None of us here on BB is in a position to make medical recommendations, as you know, so we just try to support each other and share info and experiences.

Having said that, why not find out more about vestibular rehabilitation therapy? I think some people have had positive results with that, but it doesn't seem like it helps everyone.

Hey IslandGirl,

Hello! Your name fits in well with the watery theme here! Thanks for joining us. It sounds like you're able to be fairly active if your symptoms happen mostly when you're sitting or lying.

Here are my thoughts, and I'm sure others can weigh in with their ideas as well: If you haven't had proper vestibular testing and appropriate ENT check-ups, then it's probably a good idea to do so. Some of us have had neurological and vision tests as well. There are many, many things that can cause dizziness and they have to be checked out. None of us here on BB is in a position to make medical recommendations, as you know, so we just try to support each other and share info and experiences.

Having said that, why not find out more about vestibular rehabilitation therapy? I think some people have had positive results with that, but it doesn't seem like it helps everyone.

Agreed with Lapis :-)

I can't lay on my right side too tough because if that is the effected ear you need to sleep on the opposite one. I've been checked out and there is an abnormality with my right ear (I also have Lyme Disease). I would find a great ENT and go from there!

I do VRT just to help me out a bit and to help strengthen my legs and help with balance. I've been through tons of PT so now I do it at home.

You're in the right place, a nice thread and great group here...you're not alone  :smitten:

I went to the ENT doctor. He hates that my balance is still haywire. He believes in benzo w/d but wants to rule out Lyme Disease (since I was in treatment for it) and other stuff.

He knows how to read brain scans! So he took my cd from my most recent MRI and really wants to look at the areas around the inner ear, cranial nerves, etc.

He's great!!!

He also did the epley manauver on me to make sure I don't have BPPV...and I don't.

I wish there were more doctors like him. In the meantime he is starting me on a very low dose steroid that assists with inflammation (inner, lungs, etc). Since I have/had Lyme some of what I'm experiencing could be left over crap from Lyme. He said the benzo w/d is not helping as some of the sxs mimic each other.

Stay tuned everyone...time will tell but God its hard to heal from one thing and thrown back in the fire due to benzo w/d!  :tickedoff:

LovingMother-You are very lucky that you found a doctor who knows all about the w/d s/x of a benzo. My shrink did not even know the w/d symptoms...omg:)...I've learned more on BB about benzo's than talking to any shrink. Good luck!

Hi Everyone!

LM, it really is great that you've got a caring and knowledgeable doctor on your side. I'm so pleased for you! I'm definitely interested to see how things go with both the medication and the follow up on your MRI.

Thanks to you all for stopping in here and sharing your experiences. I think we're all muddling through this stuff and trying to figure out the best way to deal with it. There are so many times when I just feel like I can't stand it anymore, but the BB Success Stories remind me that there's hope.

Hi Everyone!

LM, it really is great that you've got a caring and knowledgeable doctor on your side. I'm so pleased for you! I'm definitely interested to see how things go with both the medication and the follow up on your MRI.

Thanks to you all for stopping in here and sharing your experiences. I think we're all muddling through this stuff and trying to figure out the best way to deal with it. There are so many times when I just feel like I can't stand it anymore, but the BB Success Stories remind me that there's hope.

You're welcome! Sharing is caring! Indeed! I will keep you all posted.  :smitten:

[5a...]
LovingMother,I also think its so awesome you have a good ENT Dr.Hes trying to work with you and find something that will help,and takes you seriously,and that is pretty darn good!I do not know how you and the other people on here who work jobs everyday are coping!You all must be so extra stressed trying to go through withdrawal and holding down jobs at the same time.You all are amazing,and so strong!

LovingMother,I also think its so awesome you have a good ENT Dr.Hes trying to work with you and find something that will help,and takes you seriously,and that is pretty darn good!I do not know how you and the other people on here who work jobs everyday are coping!You all must be so extra stressed trying to go through withdrawal and holding down jobs at the same time.You all are amazing,and so strong!

Thank you 2200! It is very hard, especially when your job is not understanding. They say they are but really they aren't. If my mom was around maybe I would be able to work part time, but she has been gone for 5 years. My grandmother can't really help me and those with money are tired of me. So I work...

Thank you about my doctor...he is fabulous! He's so determined to help me regain full balance and he gets it!

I wish there were more out there like him.

Be well 2200!

Can I put a request out there to anyone who might be interested?

This article on PubMed looks at how the specific areas of the vestibular system are affected by different medications.

Here's are a couple of key lines:

1. "Meclizine, scopolamine, and lorazepam selectively suppress specific parts of the vestibular system."

2.  "Based on the fact that lorazepam increased the affinity of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) for the GABA(A)-receptor and its effects on the utriculi, the site of action seems to be the lateral vestibular nucleus."

Here's the link to the abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22517315

So, here's the request: If you're going to be seeing someone who has specific knowledge in the area of vestibular issues and rehabilitation AND they're aware of the problems associated with benzodiazeipines, would you consider asking them to look at the article? The big question is: If we know which specific area of the vestibular system is affected by benzodiazepines, can we then figure out which exercises or actions might be helpful in restoring it?

Of course, there may be nothing but time that can help normalize our "floaty boat" dizziness. There may be many, many individual factors involved, including age, genetics, other physical issues, concurrent medications, alcohol intake, etc. But if we CAN do something positive towards speeding up our healing, I'm sure we'd all be grateful to know what it is.

Any thoughts, fellow floaty boaters?

P.S. I hope you're all doing well today. I wish you a balanced, calm and peaceful day. Take care!