Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Good morning everyone!! I hope everyone had a great night sleep. I woke up to snow..UGH.

I just ordered some Magnesium Glycinate and when I was reading reviews several people wrote that their doctors recommended it for dizziness. I just wanted to share that info with everyone. I have no idea if it works but there are a lot of people on BB who take Magnesium and they feel it helps them sleep.

Fran:)

I take Mg glycinate and Mg malate and find they really helped me with the muscle cramping and myclonus episodes I was having, plus I think it just sort of "overall relaxes" me. My neurologist also has me take it in fairly high dose (about 800mg) when I have a migraine episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if it helps with the dizziness. I find I tolerate these two forms of Mg much better than Mg oxide — plus, I think they are more effective for me than the standard Mg oxide.

On the magnesium glycinate thing: Yes, I take it too. A naturopath suggested that it is less likely to cause diarrhea than mag citrate so I've been taking it for awhile now. It seemed to help with muscle cramps and sleep, but it's hard to tell which thing does what. Vitamins and minerals work in an interconnected way. My sleep is very much affected by my pain and dizziness levels anyway. Having said that, magnesium is a necessary mineral so if you're not getting enough in food, it makes sense to take a supplement.

Mosart, your description of your dizziness sounds pretty intense. Have you had all the vestibular tests done? I'd agree that adding extra benzos won't be helpful to your vestibular healing at all, and if your vertigo has another cause, it's important to get it checked out. BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) is quite different than benzo-withdrawal dizziness, and if you haven't been checked for that, it would be important to do so. There's a treatment for it. Visual disturbances are common in benzo withdrawal, and I know a lot of people here have had their vision checked. Mine was certainly off for awhile.

Lapis2-My vision is definitely off today. I notice it's off when I'm typing on my macbook (the font looks smaller than it really is). Can someone please explain to me what is happening when your vision is off? I'm sure it has to do with not having enough Gaba right?

I did not sleep well last night and I'm beginning to see a pattern occurring. I am sleeping better every other night and that's why I ordered the Magnesium. About 3 weeks ago I took 100 mg of magnesium that I bought at CVS and I did feel relaxed but I felt sick just weird almost stoned after taking it. I guess I should try it again. What do I have to lose? LOL

LovingMother-YES it's snowing and we are supposed to get 5 inches of snow but it's Spring today.

On the magnesium glycinate thing: Yes, I take it too. A naturopath suggested that it is less likely to cause diarrhea than mag citrate so I've been taking it for awhile now. It seemed to help with muscle cramps and sleep, but it's hard to tell which thing does what. Vitamins and minerals work in an interconnected way. My sleep is very much affected by my pain and dizziness levels anyway. Having said that, magnesium is a necessary mineral so if you're not getting enough in food, it makes sense to take a supplement.

Mosart, your description of your dizziness sounds pretty intense. Have you had all the vestibular tests done? I'd agree that adding extra benzos won't be helpful to your vestibular healing at all, and if your vertigo has another cause, it's important to get it checked out. BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) is quite different than benzo-withdrawal dizziness, and if you haven't been checked for that, it would be important to do so. There's a treatment for it. Visual disturbances are common in benzo withdrawal, and I know a lot of people here have had their vision checked. Mine was certainly off for awhile.

Hi Lapis, Thanks for that quick and thoughtful, as well as thought provoking response!

I've had episodes of vertigo for years, they think it is related to my "seizure migraine disorder" — how I got onto benzos in the first place. I have had all sorts of tests, and their current theory is that either the cortical spreading aspect or the basilar dysfunction associated with "seizure" migraine was the original cause (and may still be the primary cause) of the many of my vertigo episodes. Apparently, you can have symptoms, such as vertigo or loss of vision, etc., without getting a headache, which has happened to me in the past.

I would surmise that by now, after 45 years of taking benzos off and on, that I have really whacked out my balance system, probably at the neuro level, so I am probably now experiencing BOTH benzo w/d related vertigo as well as migraine related vertigo. Sheesh, how complicated life can get!

I KNOW taking the extra Ativan is probably not only NOT going to help my balance system heal, but may make it worse, yet I just can't stand to have the world spinning for days on end when I know I can stop it with one little pill...fortunately, I've only had to do it a couple of times and not within the last month. But that, along with my elevated heart rate and BP (and constant headache) is why I am slowing down my taper. It's also why I have contacted my neurologist hoping for another option. It may be that I have to get through my teaching term, then in the summer just plan to be able to stay in bed if I have to until I start to get over this particular sx. :P

Mosart-I had vertigo once in my life and it's the PITS!! I had an ear infection and my only symptom was vertigo. I was walking to my library and all of the sudden the world began to spin. I had nothing to grab onto so I sat on the grass. Not one person even helped me. It was so scary. GOD bless you for dealing with it the way you are. I think if you slow down your taper perhaps it might get better.

Ah, Mo, I see! Wow! That's a lot to deal with. You're a courageous person, and you've clearly had a lot to deal with. I wish you strength and continued courage!

I'm glad to hear you've got some good medical help on board. Under the circumstances, it seems extremely important. And yes, if things are really stressful, then slowing down your taper makes sense. It's not a race, and it has to work within your life circumstances. I had to slow mine down at one point as well, and then I just picked it up when it was the right time.

Hi my dear Lapsy and all my other buddies.

Just a drop in to spread some love.  :smitten: 

Going to sit in the corner and quietly moan to myself now, so just ignore, there's always one crazy in the crowd!  :idiot:  :crazy:  Have been hit by a truck today, hardly slept a wink even though I'm feeling so sleepy, floating and boating like nobody's business.  OMG!  :o  And all this after having had a really good, productive day yesterday.  ::)

Okay, I'm done griping now, going to "try" and take pooch out for a walk now, it's cloudy but warmish today (relatively speaking that is, above freezing, hah).

Also picked up some magnesium bisglycinate yesterday.  I was using it in high doses at one time but didn't see any results, thought I'd try it again.

Sorry I can't mention everyone by name, this is one busy, fast moving thread.  Lots of great people, lots of positive energy here!  Love you all and wishing easier days and speedy healing.  Love you, Lapsy!  :-*

:smitten:

Hi all...I woke up with a stiff neck and then got a bad tension headache but very littly boatiness.  the carousel of crap continues but the anxiety is not there so I can do it. :smitten:  Hope everyone does okay today.

Hello abcd, 2200 and Drew! Nice to see you here today.

abcd, hope that's a figurative truck and not a literal truck that you've been hit by! Oy! Just take it easy and go slow. The pooch will probably guide your speed anyway, as pooches are wont to do.

Drew, I think I'm "in the same boat" as you today. I, too, woke up with a wickedly stiff neck but I'm not so floaty-boaty. As per usual, it's got a life of its own. I guess it's good day to focus on neck stretches and posture!

In the meantime, I read an article about "Mal de Debarquement", which is a vestibular condition that sometimes occurs as a result of being on a boat. The symptoms are very, very similar to benzo withdrawal dizziness, and people use the same descriptive words as we do. One doctor I saw back at the beginning of all of this even said to me that my symptoms "sounded" like Mal de Debarquement, but of course, I hadn't been out on a boat in ages. Can't wait until I can, though........

I'm having one of those, "I look so cute today...but feel like crap!"

My Nana always told me just because you're going through the storm doesn't mean you have to look like it lol.

The boaty/floaty feeling is out of this world today. ThenI found out that my best friend's dad was diagnosed with colon cancer.

My boss came back from her site visit...she's all sick and coughing (go home woman!!!

What a day...I'll be glad to safely get my son and get home. This balance stuff is the pits  :'(

LM, you DO look cute! And that counts for something when you feel crappy, so hang onto that for now.  ;)  I had to skype with someone yesterday and put on some under-eye cover-up, just to hide the dark circles from crying. It kinda worked!

I'm having one of those, "I look so cute today...but feel like crap!"

My Nana always told me just because you're going through the storm doesn't mean you have to look like it lol.

The boaty/floaty feeling is out of this world today. ThenI found out that my best friend's dad was diagnosed with colon cancer.

My boss came back from her site visit...she's all sick and coughing (go home woman!!!

What a day...I'll be glad to safely get my son and get home. This balance stuff is the pits  :'(

Are there locust flying by you too?  Run for cover :laugh:

I'm reading an article about the effects of different medications on the vestibular system, called "Pharmaceutical Countermeasures Have Opposite Effects on the Utricles and Semicircular Canals in Man" (2012) and came across this information:

"A number of neurotransmitters and neuromodulators are known to influence the activity of vestibular nucleus

neurons: acetylcholine, glutamate, glycine, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), histamine, norepinephrine, dopamine, serotonin, substance P, somatostatin, adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), and enkephalin. This

means that a large variety of possible pharmacological agents could interfere with the occurrence of motion

sickness [de Waele et al., 1995; Yates et al., 1998]."

Ladies I need some positive vibes. I have a little bit of rockiness, vision is funky only on my macbook but I still worked out!! It's the first day of Spring and it's snowing. I was supposed to be in Palm Beach tomorrow where it's sunny and 90 degrees but staying with my mom who is sick with Parkinson's Disease is way too depressing. I'm ready for Spring! HAPPY FRIDAY TO EVERYONE!!!!

LM hope you get some relief...it's friday for us :smitten:

I hope so too Drew. I'm praying month 11 is better...way..way...better!

You mean us being IN month 12 next in a week and half.  We will have completed month 11 by then  :laugh: 

PS-in order to fix my ticker I had to backdate my jump by three days :idiot:

You mean us being IN month 12 next in a week and half.  We will have completed month 11 by then  :laugh: 

PS-in order to fix my ticker I had to backdate my jump by three days :idiot:

Huh? We are almost 11 months off. 1 year is April 30th (not next week).

It doesn't matter...I feel like crap anyways.  :'(

Counting the days, weeks and months off can be good and bad, can't it? Since each one of us is different, it's hard to gauge where we are by looking at these time frames and making comparisons. Nevertheless, we do it!

I have to remind myself that no matter where I am in "the count", I'm still closer to the end than to the beginning. Any time you're off the medication means you're closer to getting well. Even if you don't feel good yet, remember that there's a lot of healing going on that's not visible. The contents of your head should hang up a little sign on its front door saying, "Brain at work!"  ;D

Lapis2- Everyday that you are not taking a Benzo you are healing. Two days ago I had the best day ever. I felt like my old self before I ever swallowed a Benzo. A day like that is what keeps me positive. I'm only almost 11 weeks off Valium (the new kid on the block) :) but who is counting. I know I have a long road ahead of me but I am determined to recover!!

Fran

Great to hear that, Fran! I'm sure you're going to be fine. Those good days are food for the soul, I'm sure, and remind you that the goal is in sight.

Hi

I don't know if I am in the right thread as what I have is not typical dizziness. I have very sore muscles in my back - the entire upper part of my back is hurting- basically it effects the blood flow to my brain and then I get this kind of light headed feeling. The world is not turning around like when you are dizzy and its not connected to balance- still very much like feeling dizzy. also can get headache that are connected to the stiff muscles. wondered if this is familiar to anyone? Anyhow good to be around some dizzy people  :)

Carem

Lapis.  I wonder where beta blockers fall in the research you just pisted? In Mont 4 and 6 of my w/d I had a couple of b/p scares that sent me to er and I was on atenolol low dose for a few months . It had a very calming impact on me, but also caused dizziness and depression. Common side effects of beta blockers. It was very effective for controlling b/p spikes but the side effects were awful Thank goodness I no longer have to take them. I made some big changes in my nutrition and got further out in my w/d and I don't need them anymore. My b/p stays right at 110-115/ 70-75.  I probably have w/d paranoia, but I think every thing including tylenol ( plain tylenol) impacts our brains......coop

Hey Carem, glad you like us dizzy dames and dudes! Most of us have "floaty-boaty" dizziness, but I've certainly heard about lots of people with tight muscles. A lot of us have sore legs (and in my case, feet) from trying not to fall. I know a BB named abcd who has some upper-body tightness so perhaps what you have is similar to that. If you read the earlier posts on this thread, I believe you'll find abcd's description.