The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Women, in particular, are at a higher risk of bone density issues that can be worsened by immobility, i.e. lack of weight bearing. And, of course, the dizziness makes it that much harder. I've already had a foot fracture from the combination of lowered bone density and dizziness, so that's why I jumped in there with that info about not lying down too much. If you can stay mobile with exercises in sitting and lying (for example, front and side leg raises with light weights, if possible), it can help. A physiotherapist could help by creating a personalized exercise plan. Keep whatever bone density you have because you don't want to add a fracture to everything else that you're already dealing with. I can say that from horrible experience. That foot fracture took ages to heal and made me even more miserable.

Bonty, I never had any nausea, so I'm sorry I can't make many suggestions on that. Maybe it would be good to ask your family doctor about that one.

Yeah, I would think that using a treadmill could cause dizziness because your brain thinks it's moving forward, but your body is actually staying in place. It creates a disconnect between the brain and the body. I think that would happen even in people who don't already have issues with dizziness.

Thanks Lapis!  I remember feeling a little weird walking on the treadmill before all this happened but now it’s like X100 !!!

You're welcome, Hopper! Balance is a pretty delicate thing, and there are three things that need to be in sync in order for balance to be good, i.e. the vestibular system (in your inner ear), your vision and your proprioception (your sense of where your body is in space and whether it's moving or not). If those three things aren't giving your brain similar messages at the same time, then you can feel dizzy. So, that can happen with a video game that has lots of action on the screen, or on a treadmill, or in a moving car. 

If you want to keep up your walking, it would probably be better to either walk outside (using a cane or walker for safety, if you need it) or to just move around in your home. Pacing can be fun! That's about all I can do at the moment, but at least I'm upright and moving around.

One of the articles I shared suggested that people should take a bit of time to go from running to walking to stopping on the treadmill, so if you really want to keep using your machine, maybe you can transition verrrrry slooooowwwwly from walking to stopping.

I have no idea how people run on a treadmill.  I had one here at home and I hated it.  It also gave me back pain because the resistance was too hard.  Sold it a long time ago.  I get my exercise nearly every day by walking to the mailbox to check my mail; it's all uphill going up and downhill coming home.  My heart is in good shape from walking up to the mailbox so often every day. 

Thanks Lapis!  I remember feeling a little weird walking on the treadmill before all this happened but now it’s like X100 !!!

You're welcome, Hopper! Balance is a pretty delicate thing, and there are three things that need to be in sync in order for balance to be good, i.e. the vestibular system (in your inner ear), your vision and your proprioception (your sense of where your body is in space and whether it's moving or not). If those three things aren't giving your brain similar messages at the same time, then you can feel dizzy. So, that can happen with a video game that has lots of action on the screen, or on a treadmill, or in a moving car. 

If you want to keep up your walking, it would probably be better to either walk outside (using a cane or walker for safety, if you need it) or to just move around in your home. Pacing can be fun! That's about all I can do at the moment, but at least I'm upright and moving around.

One of the articles I shared suggested that people should take a bit of time to go from running to walking to stopping on the treadmill, so if you really want to keep using your machine, maybe you can transition verrrrry slooooowwwwly from walking to stopping.

Thanks again Lapis!  That all makes sense.

I took the wife for a walk last night to see the million bulb Christmas displays. The contrast of all the lights against the dark of the night was aggressively aggravating the vestibular issues and began to bring on the vertigo type stuff. Such a shame as it was a nice night and otherwise very pretty. It was only a mile long walk and I made it through, so there is that! =)

Aw, Hopper, good for you to get out there and take a nice walk with your wife! I'm so sorry about the effect of the lights, though. I'm glad you could at least enjoy some aspects of the walk.  :)

Hopper that’s why I haven’t put up any lights. I already know I can’t handle them. But wow they’re so pretty. How are you doing?

Lapis I had a televisit with my doctor yesterday. She tried to give me meclizine for my boatiness.  :tickedoff:

I once again explained to her that none of that will help. The neurologist said only time will heal me. Nothing they can do but offer me more drugs. But she wants me to start PT again to make sure my muscles don’t atrophy more. I don’t mind doing that.  :thumbsup: Even though I know it won’t cure this either. Only time.

Hey everyone hope you all are hanging in there. I am so dizzy today I can’t even move my head without my work spinning. This isn’t something that I have everyday it comes and goes. I really wish I knew what triggers it. I was able to go to the bathroom without the walk the past two days but today back with the walker and in bed trying not to move my head at all. Just to lift the head to drink water makes the room spin. It’s so hard to read and type like this but when you need support not sure what to do.

Yes, I've been struggling for over 9 years now.  I've got incontinence problems and diagnosed with Lupus and Lupus Encephalitis too.  The encephalitis causes the bad head pressure all the time and it gets worse when I've got too much stress on me.  I can never calm down either and have high anxiety every single day.  My life is over and I know it.  I feel like hell every single day.  I'm so screwed.

No.  Did not have Lupus before benzo w/d.  I'm convinced it's drug-induced Lupus.  I went to get tests when I was having tolerance w/d symptoms and that was the diagnosis.  My blood vessels are damaged from the drugs and I'm having an autoimmune reaction to them.  My life is over.

Hey everyone hope you all are hanging in there. I am so dizzy today I can’t even move my head without my work spinning. This isn’t something that I have everyday it comes and goes. I really wish I knew what triggers it. I was able to go to the bathroom without the walk the past two days but today back with the walker and in bed trying not to move my head at all. Just to lift the head to drink water makes the room spin. It’s so hard to read and type like this but when you need support not sure what to do.

FruityPop, I don't remember if you said that you've had these symptoms checked out by a doctor, but if not, you might want to look up Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo and consider being checked for that. There have certainly been people here who have had that, and there are a number of things that can be done for it, but you'd have to see a doctor. There are physiotherapists who are trained in how to help people with it as well.

Is there any success stories  regarding these sxs?  it would really  be encouraging

Definitely, but people mostly leave when they're feeling better and don't come back to write about it. It's unfortunate, but that's how it tends to work. If someone is feeling better s/he just wants to go and live his/her life.

Hopper that’s why I haven’t put up any lights. I already know I can’t handle them. But wow they’re so pretty. How are you doing?

Lapis I had a televisit with my doctor yesterday. She tried to give me meclizine for my boatiness.  :tickedoff:

I once again explained to her that none of that will help. The neurologist said only time will heal me. Nothing they can do but offer me more drugs. But she wants me to start PT again to make sure my muscles don’t atrophy more. I don’t mind doing that.  :thumbsup: Even though I know it won’t cure this either. Only time.

I think that's a medication used for motion sickness, LadyDen. It's obviously up to you whether you want to try it. The PT recommendation makes excellent sense, and it's something that's come up around here again recently. We should all try to stay mobile and strong, because not doing so comes with many, many repercussions. Women, in particular, have to be aware of the loss of bone density that comes with immobility, especially as we age. Muscular atrophy is no joke either, and it brings other risks, including a heightened fall risk.

Someone in my family recently had vertigo, and she went to the emergency department, thinking she had COVID or something. It turned out to be BPPV, and the doctor did the Epley Maneuver (as per the article Becksblue linked above). He also referred her to a physiotherapist who had vestibular rehabilitation training. There's a high success rate with the proper treatment for BPPV, which makes it one of the most treatable kinds of dizziness. It's also one of most common kinds of dizziness.

https://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html