The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Yes Hopper. I can’t tolerate bending down or looking down more than a few seconds. Be careful and avoid it whenever possible. I sit down to put my socks on or wash my feet. I do it without looking down much. Also when sitting on the toilet I feel like I’m going to fall over on the floor.

Lapis, I've had similar thoughts about the muscles tensing to protect the body from falling. The muscles in my feet get so tight and my toes curl up like I'm trying to cling to the floor for security.  Your theory does make sense.  Sometimes my muscles are all tensed up even when my balance is ok and at those times I think it's just more withdrawal mess.

Hi Helen,

I appreciate that you shared that particular detail about the muscles in your feet, because for me, that's a major issue. Those muscles have to do an enormous amount of work when we're experiencing intense disequilibrium (e.g. floaty boat sensation), and they're doing it in ways that most people can't even imagine. That is, if we feel like we're on a boat all the time, then our feet and lower legs have to respond to that, and they get tight, painful and exhausted.

On days when we're less dizzy/boaty, the muscles may have trouble remembering how to relax and work in a more normal fashion.

As an aside, the foot is an extraordinary structure. I just looked up how many bones are in the feet, and here's what I found on the Arthritis.org website:

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/about-arthritis/where-it-hurts/anatomy-of-the-foot

"Each foot is made up of 26 bones, 30 joints and more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments, all of which work together to provide support, balance and mobility."

Thanks Lapis. I'll check out that link.  I have to sit and massage my feet when I've been standing and they are doing their tensing thing.  Poor old tightly wound muscles....they just want to relax.

Ugh - I’m sorry LadDen!  This really is the worst!  It has my anxiety through the roof this morning!

Ok Hopper, let’s take a few breaths and ask yourself what can you do to not let it overtake you?

Time to distract and not participate in how it’s making you feel. A book? A funny video? Write in a journal? Go outside and observe nature? Watch a movie etc.

Thanks LadyDen!  I’ve been trying to distract myself, but it’s difficult when using my eyes makes it worse! Dark room and some soft rain sounds have been my day mostly.

Hope y’all are faring better today!  :)

Dark room and lovely rain is ideal. It’s gotten me through my worst days too. Feel better soon Hopper. It will pass. Remember it’s temporary.

Hello again, my dizzy friends,

I could use some advice/support as I feel that I'm back at square one. I woke up dizzy May 28, 2020 and it's never gone away, and lately it's getting worse. It's this constant feeling of intense, throbbing, burning pressure in my head that evokes a sensation of dizziness in my brain. The nausea is back too. I only feel OK when I'm moving, like walking or driving a car (I know for some of you that's not the case!). I thought it was benzo recovery when it first happened, but I'm now 31 months off and otherwise feel completely healed from my other benzo symptoms. So then I thought it was mold toxicity because I have very high levels of mold in my body from living in a moldy apartment for 10 years. I'm detoxing now and have moved to a new home, but it doesn't explain the vestibular issues or why tyramine and certain foods are a terrible trigger. I've been working with a naturopath, but I'm going to go back to the original doctors I saw and am considering medication, like an SSRI or beta blocker or something. It seems like a vestibular migraine in so many ways, despite all the doctors I saw saying it's not. I don't know what to do and I'm losing faith that I will wake up miraculously healed one day.

What other options have you explored? Did you try taking medications? How do you know it's still related to your benzo recovery? Thanks for any wisdom. I think you are the only people who can possibly understand the hell of this! <3

Hello again, my dizzy friends,

I could use some advice/support as I feel that I'm back at square one. I woke up dizzy May 28, 2020 and it's never gone away, and lately it's getting worse. It's this constant feeling of intense, throbbing, burning pressure in my head that evokes a sensation of dizziness in my brain. The nausea is back too. I only feel OK when I'm moving, like walking or driving a car (I know for some of you that's not the case!). I thought it was benzo recovery when it first happened, but I'm now 31 months off and otherwise feel completely healed from my other benzo symptoms. So then I thought it was mold toxicity because I have very high levels of mold in my body from living in a moldy apartment for 10 years. I'm detoxing now and have moved to a new home, but it doesn't explain the vestibular issues or why tyramine and certain foods are a terrible trigger. I've been working with a naturopath, but I'm going to go back to the original doctors I saw and am considering medication, like an SSRI or beta blocker or something. It seems like a vestibular migraine in so many ways, despite all the doctors I saw saying it's not. I don't know what to do and I'm losing faith that I will wake up miraculously healed one day.

What other options have you explored? Did you try taking medications? How do you know it's still related to your benzo recovery? Thanks for any wisdom. I think you are the only people who can possibly understand the hell of this! <3

Hi Warrior Spirit,

Have you looked into the possible connection to hormonal changes? I'm not sure where you are in terms of age and menstrual/life cycle, but I've come across a number of studies that connect low estrogen in peri- and post-menopausal women with various vestibular issues, including vestibular migraine, Mal de Debarquement Syndrome, Meniere's Disease and others. Even if you're not in that age and stage of life, it might be worth exploring whether there's any hormonal connection in your case. For estrogen, there are patches, gels and pills. It usually has to be balanced with progesterone, if you still have a uterus. I can post some of those studies (well, the abstracts, at least) here later on today, if you're interested.

Having said that, clonazepam--  the benzo you were on -- is the same horrible beast that I took for years. I also took an SNRI for a short time, and then an SSRI. Personally, those meds were awful for me. They both carry risks for vestibular issues, and I regret that I took them at all. The withdrawal from Prozac was brutal, with "brain zaps" and higher dizziness levels for months afterwards. The SNRI (Cymbalta) coincided with the start of my dizziness, so it may have been a bad combination with the clonazepam I was already on at the time. It gave me the worst diarrhea I've ever had in my life. Downright dangerous!

I can't weigh in on food connections to dizziness, but I do believe there's literature on vestibular migraines and triggering foods. I eat a mostly-vegan diet, with some fish. No sugar, dairy or meat for many years now, but lots of fresh veggies, fruits, beans, whole grains, tofu, tempeh. I haven't noticed any triggering foods in my case, but it's so individual. A guess a food diary could help you figure out if there are any patterns or connections. Have you already done that?

Okay, that's what comes to mind at this point. Maybe the other fine folks around here can weigh in as well. Dizziness is a symptom that can be caused by so many things, and it's hard to diagnose. I understand your frustration all too well.

Boaty- Dizzy friends,

Do any of you go through spurts of a few days where your head feels like it's been thrown around no matter what you do? Even sitting still?  I am in one of those phases and I can barely move around the house from the swaying and rocking of my world.  It comes with a tight chest and stiff, rigid limbs.  It's a package deal. My head has to be supported during these episodes.  This time it's been going on for 3 days. I've had it many, many times and have no idea what triggers it.  Chime in with any experience or tips if you have any.

Many thanks and I hope all of you are NOT on a boat in the wind today.  :smitten:

Hello Warrior. I was sad to read your post as well as Helen’s. But I will address your question first…

So let’s start with what Lapis said. There’s such evidence that hormonal changes causes uptick of our symptoms. Lapis is absolutely right that you should look at that as a culprit. And it might be a combination of things. Such as you’ve become sensitive to something you haven’t figured out yet. Once again, Lapis is correct to advise you to keep a diary of everything you eat, products you use and daily activities. If your diet is pretty clean, then that’s probably not making you worse unless it’s something you have become sensitive to late in your recovery. This can happen. The more months under our belts, the more sensitive we become. I’ve had to change me deodorant to arm n hammer natural. Next couple of days I felt better. Still had waves but saw definite dampening down. All those chemicals wasn’t my friend anymore even though a month before they never was an issue. Also it could be that your brain is in a fine tuning phase. This is where it goes back to giving you symptoms that you thought were better or gone. This is to repair anything it missed or better repair what’s been worked on. This is very common to happen especially in the timeframe of being more than a year and a half off. My similar symptoms like yours used to scare me to think I’ll never get better because it seems I’m getting worse with head issues slamming me back in bed again. But, after reading others before me experiences, my mind was put at ease seeing that this happens commonly to others. I researched keywords worse before healing in the upper right search box. I believe this is what’s happening to you as long as you haven’t introduced something new, changed your diet or increased your activities. It might be ideal to mentally step away from the symptoms and look at when you were not so dizzy. This helps me to know I’ll be back on my feet soon enough as I have before. In the meanwhile as you’re waiting for it to go away, try ignoring them as much as possible by keeping your mind and hands busy with positive things. I’ve tried vestibular exercises, stretching, head turns, chair yoga etc and to be honest they didn’t help much. The way they did help was allowed me to safely maneuver when I’m able to get up. They also gave me confidence to slowly do more things even though I’m boaty/unbalanced. Pushing through a little bit will help a bit to allow compensation to take place. This must be done gently because it can make symptoms worse. But at the end of the day, it just has to go away on its own in its own time. Try not to let the symptoms take center stage mentally. Your brain is simply working hard to repair itself. Increase your distractions tools will help get you through each day. Hope this helps.

Helen, the answer is yes. Our symptoms vary each day and sometimes within the same day. I’ll be very boaty some mornings and other mornings it’s mild but gradually turn worse then gradually get better. That’s how this goes unfortunately. I’ve even had several days in a row where it was mild or almost gone. This is a good thing to experience because it means your brain knows how to get it right…or almost right lol

This happens when I’m sitting up- I sit up and the head pressure starts building gradually until I’m forced to lay back down. So I time myself increasing the time after every few days. Sometimes I’m able to sit up 10 minutes sometimes 30 and before my setback I was sitting up for up to 2 hours enjoying a movie like a normal person. Wow it felt great! But I’ll get back to that again and you will too. My symptoms also group together in different intensities. It’s totally common in recovery. I feel the same way Warrior does in that if I didn’t have the head symptoms I would be healed. So I continue to let time be my best friend. It will improve for us . Hang in there.

Lady Den,

Thank you for the kind reply.  I know you've been through the ringer with this. It's interesting but lying down is not my best position. I'm best sitting up propped up with my head on a pillow.  Thank you for confirming I'm within normal bounds. I can't think of any reason I have it so bad right now.  Mine does come and go and I know, like you said, that when my brain gets it right, that's a good sign. I surely wish I could understand why it fluctuates back and forth so much.  I'm in a cluster of all the yucky stuff today.  Thanks for sending the good word. I wish for you some goodness and relief too.

Helen

Helen I recently watched on YouTube a pharmacologist explain some of the reason why. It was eye opening for me. It’s on the Benzo Brains channel. I can’t recall his name but I advise everyone to watch it. He’s the first to show evidence of his findings concerning benzos affecting the whole body. Go check it out!

Thank you, Lady Den and Lapis2. I really appreciate all of the info and insights.

I was diagnosed with perimenopause earlier this year. I have a follow-up scheduled with the doctor to discuss the dizziness next month. But there is not a time during my cycle when I am not dizzy, so I don't think it's really related. I already am on a very strict low-histamine diet, and will focus next on removing salicylates. I am working with a naturopath and we regularly discuss diet and supplements. I've also switched toothpastes, deodorants, removed chemicals from the house, etc. No relief.

My frustration is not knowing whether the root cause is benzo recovery, mold detoxing, hormones, a vestibular migraine, or a combo of them. I've tried so many things over the past 1.5 years and nothing has lessened it. I just wish I knew what it was—even if it's just my last benzo recovery symptom, then I could trust that it would go away like all the other 100 symptoms did! :) But not knowing, it could be something else that won't go away at all.

I would be thrilled if this were a fine-tuning phase, but at 2.5 years off, I'm doubtful.

Thanks for listening. I just needed a place to share my frustrations. No one else really understands.

Helen I recently watched on YouTube a pharmacologist explain some of the reason why. It was eye opening for me. It’s on the Benzo Brains channel. I can’t recall his name but I advise everyone to watch it. He’s the first to show evidence of his findings concerning benzos affecting the whole body. Go check it out!

Thanks Lady Den! I'll look for it.

The Drs name was Robert Raffa. He was one of the coauthors of the new benzo book

I sent the YouTube video to my dr to watch, not sure she has yet.

Was an excellent watch.

Winnie

I've read that book -- The Benzodiazepines Crisis -- and yes, Robert Raffa is one of the editors of the book, as well as the author of the chapter called "Benzodiazepine Receptors in the Periphery". I'll put in the links to the book and to the chapter here:

https://oxfordmedicine.com/view/10.1093/med/9780197517277.001.0001/med-9780197517277 

https://oxfordmedicine.com/view/10.1093/med/9780197517277.001.0001/med-9780197517277-chapter-6

Benzodiazepine Receptors in the Periphery

Chapter:

Benzodiazepine Receptors in the Periphery

Author(s):

Robert B. Raffa

DOI:

10.1093/med/9780197517277.003.0006

The benzodiazepines are almost universally thought to produce one and only one pharmacologic effect: positive allosteric modulation of GABAA receptors located in the brain. This results in an increased Cl−ion influx, greater negative transmembrane potential difference, and neurons that are less likely to fire in response to anxiety-producing stimulation. Unfortunately, the simplicity and success of this mono-target belief has distracted researchers and clinicians from studying and appreciating their other pharmacology. A glaring example is the general lack of awareness of the peripheral benzodiazepine receptor. The peripheral benzodiazepine receptor alters mitochondrial function (energy supply), cholesterol transport, and immune function. A patient who is on long-term benzodiazepine therapy (or withdrawing from them) will have these sites affected, just as are the sites located in the brain. One can easily imagine that the adverse effects associated with the peripheral sites would be fundamental, varied, and potentially profound—involving lack of energy, altered cholesterol metabolism, and aberrant immune function.

Thank you, Lady Den and Lapis2. I really appreciate all of the info and insights.

I was diagnosed with perimenopause earlier this year. I have a follow-up scheduled with the doctor to discuss the dizziness next month. But there is not a time during my cycle when I am not dizzy, so I don't think it's really related. I already am on a very strict low-histamine diet, and will focus next on removing salicylates. I am working with a naturopath and we regularly discuss diet and supplements. I've also switched toothpastes, deodorants, removed chemicals from the house, etc. No relief.

My frustration is not knowing whether the root cause is benzo recovery, mold detoxing, hormones, a vestibular migraine, or a combo of them. I've tried so many things over the past 1.5 years and nothing has lessened it. I just wish I knew what it was—even if it's just my last benzo recovery symptom, then I could trust that it would go away like all the other 100 symptoms did! :) But not knowing, it could be something else that won't go away at all.

I would be thrilled if this were a fine-tuning phase, but at 2.5 years off, I'm doubtful.

Thanks for listening. I just needed a place to share my frustrations. No one else really understands.

Hi WarriorSpirit,

I, too, am in perimenopause, and having read about this topic a fair amount, I can share that it's a four-to-ten-year process. The fact that you're dizzy throughout your cycle doesn't decrease the possibility that it's part of the cause of your dizziness. The literature that I mentioned to you earlier reflects the fact that low estrogen (which is one of the things that's dropping during perimenopause) is linked to various types of vestibular issues. I will try to post some of those study links a bit later on. I'm not up to it at present (had another awful night and am in a lot of pain right now), but you can have a look and, perhaps, print out the studies to share with your doctor. I did that just last week.

There's a fitness instructor and book author named Amanda Thebe whose first perimenopausal symptom at age 42/43 was dizziness. I came across her on a YouTube video and then, later, got her book out of the library. She had a range of symptoms, not all of which looked like perimenopause, and, in the end, it was the thing that was affecting her so badly. I'm not sure which hormone replacement therapy she started, but it was her gynecologist who was finally able to put the pieces together -- and that was only after a couple years of trying to figure out what was going on and why she couldn't function. If I can find that video, I'll post it as well. She was in conversation with another woman regarding perimenopause and its varied symptoms.

Anyway, it's worth looking into. Estrogen and progesterone play many roles in our bodies, and the drop-off of those hormones in our mid-late 40s-50s (average age is 51, I believe) can affect various systems of our bodies. Although women used to die much earlier, we're living longer than ever these days, and that means living without hormones. My mom's generation of women was put on hormones at age 50, and in my mom's case, she stayed on them for years. She never had one hot flash (until she came off!), and the hormones likely helped her bone density, urinary tract, skin, energy levels and cognition, among many other things.

Warrior you know what? Just because you’re 2.5 years off doesn’t mean that it isn’t benzo related. It apparently is seeing that there’s nothing else it could be since you’ve checked off culprits. Those who have vestibular issues almost all of them said they last a very long time and are the last symptoms to go. I think it would benefit you to accept it as BW and let time show you that it will eventually go away. I’m sure it has already gotten better over time. Sometimes that better is so slight. This is why I’ve kept a journal to have something to go back to. Makes it easy to see the progress. Do you keep a journal of this symptom? Every day just simply write down on a scale of 0-10 how intense it is throughout the day. This may help you to see that it is healing. I’ve noticed that these symptoms are the slowest to heal. Lapis posted an article about how ototoxic these pills were to our vestibular system. That is a highly delicate system that requires precision in order to be normal. These medications hit that area hard over and over. For most of us it was hit hard for years. Looking at it in that perspective gave me peace and acceptance about my symptoms. Thinking about it, I’m amazed that system is working at all. Just shows how powerful our brains are to fix itself as quickly as possible. That’s a lot of repair it needs to do!!! But, it DOES know how to do it. Thank God!!! Trust me, mine was hit soooooooooo hard. I know your frustration. I know your debilitation. I’m bedridden for a total of 2 years now. So yeah I know how it feels. But I’m letting my brain do what it does in its own time. And it will. My job is while it’s hard at work, stay calm and don’t do anything too strenuous that disrupts the healing. Acceptance is valuable in this. None of us can force it to heal or take anything to speed that up. Just have to wait. So in the meantime I’m doing all I can to stay positive and engage in positive things that promotes as much laughter and joy. Because those DO help. I’m not going to waste this time even though I’m stuck in a bed with stressfully fixating on my symptoms. Stress makes us worse. I made the decision that I’m an observer, not a participant  :thumbsup:

Big hugs to you. Hope this turns a corner for us all.

Okay, I'm going to post some of the titles of the studies and scholarly papers that look at a possible connection between various types of vestibular issues and hormones in peri- and post-menopausal women, along with the links, for anyone who is interested and would like to read further:

1.  "Vertigo risk factors in perimenopausal women":

https://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/view/vertigo-risk-factors-in-perimenopausal-women

2.  "Correlation between auditory‐vestibular functions and estrogen levels in postmenopausal patients with Meniere's disease":

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6430344/ 

3.  "Disturbances in postural balance are common in postmenopausal women with vasomotor symptoms":

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11910621/ 

4.  "Clinical significance of serum sex hormones in postmenopausal women with vestibular migraine: potential role of estradiol":

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8142534/

5.  "Estrogen and neurotological disorders in women":

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33351371/

6.  "Mal de Debarquement Syndrome: A Retrospective Online Questionnaire on the Influences of Gonadal Hormones in Relation to Onset and Symptom Fluctuation":

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5992375/

7.  "Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS)" -- by Timothy C. Hain, MD • Page last modified: September 26, 2021 -- In the section called "What causes Mal de Debarquement?", there's a sub-section called "Hormones and MdDS":

Because MdDS largely occurs in females, it may also have something to do with sex hormones, such as estrogen or progesterone. In fact, we have noted a pattern that if one asks, it is often the case that the woman who develops MdDS was having a menstrual period while on the boat. Mucci et al (2018) reported that "From the data collected, it was evident that naturally cycling female respondents from the MT group were significantly more likely to report an aggravation of MdDS symptoms during menses and mid-cycle (p < 0.001). " This would suggest that MdDS is triggered by estrogen fluctuations, similarly to Migraine and motion sickness.

Mucci et al (2019) also reported in a questionnaire study that symptoms were lower during pregnancy, making it similar to migraine (which commonly remits during pregnancy)..

As MdDS is rare in men, perhaps testosterone is protective. This idea is unproven and there are anecdotes on both sides of the issue.

At this writing (2020), there is quite a bit to be investigated about hormonal impact on MdDS.

https://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/mdd.html

Just coming back to your questions about what might be causing your dizziness here.....

Dizziness is a symptom that can be really hard to figure out, based on all the many studies that say exactly that. In my case, I do think there might be multiple things going on -- the meds I took for many years (various benzos, and SNRI, an SSRI), plus the possible hormonal causes. It's good that you have some health professionals who are working with you on the various possibilities. Lots of people have no one helping them out, so that's a real bonus to have.

If you do any searching on here on BB, you'll see that there have been tons and tons and tons of posts on the topic of dizziness/a "floaty-boaty" sensation/vertigo, etc. Before I even knew what BB was, I came across a lot of them. I eventually figured out that all of these posts were from one place where people had taken benzos (like me!) and were either trying to get off them or had already come off them. Suffice to say, dizziness/disequilibrium is common among such people. I had 100 pages of print-outs from BB to bring to one of the early doctors I saw --  and that's before I could log in and see more details about what meds people had taken and for how long. Pretty stunning to see it all together like that.

Thanks for all the links, Lapis2! I'll review them and take some notes before talking again to the hormone dr.

I really would love if this were a sensitivity/refinement phase of Benzo recovery, because then I could trust that it will go away in its own time, as all of my other symptoms did. But in the meantime, I am going to continue to look into everything else that it could be, in case there is something proactive I can do. Of course, none of the doctors believed it's Benzo recovery, but they also have not diagnosed it as anything else. Maybe this time around someone will have more insights, or tests will reveal something.

Your comments are important for me to consider before going down the SSRI path. Since being on Benzos without informed consent, I hesitate to take medications, as I can't know in advance the physical, emotional, and mental consequences. Maybe it is best that I hold off in case it makes my vestibular issues worse.

I am working full-time and finding it very difficult lately to properly think and function. I have spent most of the past year trying not to focus on it and to just be as healthy as possible, but it's getting gradually worse and more disruptive. I am grateful every day that I can at least go on walks, so I am sorry to hear that you are bedridden, LadyDen.

Wishing everyone the best.

My sister who is 11 months older than me, and I'm 60, never took drugs and has no problems at all with any dizziness or anything else.  I have vertigo and dizziness problems alot and it's absolutely caused by taking drugs. 

I have dizziness/tinnitis to the point I don't drive anymore. It's very disabling.

I guess I have bouts of vertigo too.

Bright, artificial lights make me worse.

I know the Tinnitis is from benzos. NOONE in my family has it.

Hi WarriorSpirit,

I, too, am in perimenopause, and having read about this topic a fair amount, I can share that it's a four-to-ten-year process. The fact that you're dizzy throughout your cycle doesn't decrease the possibility that it's part of the cause of your dizziness. The literature that I mentioned to you earlier reflects the fact that low estrogen (which is one of the things that's dropping during perimenopause) is linked to various types of vestibular issues. I will try to post some of those study links a bit later on. I'm not up to it at present (had another awful night and am in a lot of pain right now), but you can have a look and, perhaps, print out the studies to share with your doctor. I did that just last week.

There's a fitness instructor and book author named Amanda Thebe whose first perimenopausal symptom at age 42/43 was dizziness. I came across her on a YouTube video and then, later, got her book out of the library. She had a range of symptoms, not all of which looked like perimenopause, and, in the end, it was the thing that was affecting her so badly. I'm not sure which hormone replacement therapy she started, but it was her gynecologist who was finally able to put the pieces together -- and that was only after a couple years of trying to figure out what was going on and why she couldn't function. If I can find that video, I'll post it as well. She was in conversation with another woman regarding perimenopause and its varied symptoms.

Anyway, it's worth looking into. Estrogen and progesterone play many roles in our bodies, and the drop-off of those hormones in our mid-late 40s-50s (average age is 51, I believe) can affect various systems of our bodies. Although women used to die much earlier, we're living longer than ever these days, and that means living without hormones. My mom's generation of women was put on hormones at age 50, and in my mom's case, she stayed on them for years. She never had one hot flash (until she came off!), and the hormones likely helped her bone density, urinary tract, skin, energy levels and cognition, among many other things.

Lapis, my one grandmother was on hormone therapy. She has nice thick hair, straight back and lots of energy! She died at age 85.