Canadian Eh? Pre and post withdrawal support

[Ki...]

Here is an opportunity for anyone, to tell their story to the International Coalition of Investigative Journalists.  They are asking for your story and it doesn't have to be about medical devices/implants, which they've been covering on CBC for the last week.  There is a place on this form that you click on that says, "I want to tell you something else" and below that, "If you want to contact ICIJ for another reason, let us know below" and this is where you can tell them about benzodiazepines/z-drugs.  They are reading these.  You do not have to be interviewed.  You can remain anonymous.

Share your story with us:

https://www.icij.org/investigations/implant-files/do-events-in-the-implant-files-sound-familiar-share-your-story-with-the-world/?from=feature-articles

or contact us via:  Or contact us via contact@icij.org.

I'm not sure whether you guys have reported your adverse effects to Health Canada, but I'd highly recommend that. Very few people actually do, so when a number of patients report they've had a severe, disabling withdrawal reaction or adverse event, it has a multiplier effect and they take notice. You can report it here, at the Canada Vigilance Program: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medeffect-canada/canada-vigilance-program.html

Maybe if we combine our energies, we can actually get the regulators in this country to do their job and limit physicians' prescriptions to the maximum recommended time of 2-4 weeks. These reactions have been known about for something like 40 years, so there should be no excuse for physician ignorance on this issue. I think they just need a reminder from their oversight bodies :)

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ba...]

• [Na...]

• [Ki...]

• [od...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Data Guy, thanks for posting that link and your report on intermittent fasting.  I'm so glad that it is allowing you to do more. 

I too -- like you --  have tried everything that I have come across to help with this whole ordeal.. Intermittent fasting interfered with my sleep much to my chagrin.  I know that there are so many health benefits to it and that it does wonders for some people.

I have been using a supplement that has been really helping me though -- Lithium orotate.  It's not available in Canada, but after all the reading and researching I did before starting the supplement, it is safe.  It's inexpensive too not like some of the other supplements I've purchased and is readily available in the US for about $8 a bottle.

This is not to be confused with lithium carbonate that is available by prescription only and is used for bi-polar disorder and as an adjunct to some anti-depressants.

Lithium rotate can get through the blood brain barrier and works directly with glutamate excitotoxicity.  I also works directly with the calcium channels that get confused through benzo use.

I've been using it for 2 weeks  and in that time I have been able to do my micro taper daily.  (Before this i was tapering for 3 days, holding for 3 days).  I am still tapering at a very conservative rate of 5% a month as I was so sick from tapering too quickly in the beginning.  But the addition of this supplement has made tapering relatively easy! 

PM me if you want any more info about it.  My doc is fine with me taking it and a pharmacist is looking up in their data base any research that may have been done and is available only to pharmacists.

I feel so relieved as I wasn't sure how I was ever going to get off this stuff!  Now I believe that continuing a sensible % micro taper I'll be off in a few years.  :D:laugh:  Sure is a lot better than never.

Really want to let people know about this.

:):smitten:

SS

Glad you've found something to help you SS, and I'm happy you're being safe about it.

I think it does have quite a few similar properties to the prescription drug lithium. Seems the orotate is just used as a mineral carrier, so you can probably check out what people say about their experience taking lithium for bipolar to find out more information.

I hope it brings you continued success with your taper, SS. Kick that benzo to the curb!  :thumbsup:

Hey everyone,

Fellow Canadian here looking for a doctor(s) in or within a couple hours drive away from Montreal .

Anyone care to share for a fellow benzo prisoner?

Hi All,

Data Guy, thanks for posting that link and your report on intermittent fasting.  I'm so glad that it is allowing you to do more. 

I too -- like you --  have tried everything that I have come across to help with this whole ordeal.. Intermittent fasting interfered with my sleep much to my chagrin.  I know that there are so many health benefits to it and that it does wonders for some people.

I have been using a supplement that has been really helping me though -- Lithium orotate.  It's not available in Canada, but after all the reading and researching I did before starting the supplement, it is safe.  It's inexpensive too not like some of the other supplements I've purchased and is readily available in the US for about $8 a bottle.

This is not to be confused with lithium carbonate that is available by prescription only and is used for bi-polar disorder and as an adjunct to some anti-depressants.

Lithium rotate can get through the blood brain barrier and works directly with glutamate excitotoxicity.  I also works directly with the calcium channels that get confused through benzo use.

I've been using it for 2 weeks  and in that time I have been able to do my micro taper daily.  (Before this i was tapering for 3 days, holding for 3 days).  I am still tapering at a very conservative rate of 5% a month as I was so sick from tapering too quickly in the beginning.  But the addition of this supplement has made tapering relatively easy! 

PM me if you want any more info about it.  My doc is fine with me taking it and a pharmacist is looking up in their data base any research that may have been done and is available only to pharmacists.

I feel so relieved as I wasn't sure how I was ever going to get off this stuff!  Now I believe that continuing a sensible % micro taper I'll be off in a few years.  :D:laugh:  Sure is a lot better than never.

SS

Glad you've found something to help you SS, and I'm happy you're being safe about it.

I think it does have quite a few similar properties to the prescription drug lithium. Seems the orotate is just used as a mineral carrier, so you can probably check out what people say about their experience taking lithium for bipolar to find out more information.

I hope it brings you continued success with your taper, SS. Kick that benzo to the curb!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Data Guy,

Yes lithium orotate is similar to lithium carbonate but MUCH less noxious.  It also works directly on  the calcium channels in the cell that are affected by benzos so it helps in a number of ways.  It can cross the book brain barrier.  A friend who is a GP had her pharmacist look it up in their data base (little info)

But from what she discovered there is very little possibility of adverse s/e. 

So far it has been super helpful!

Great thread here Canucks -- although we sure are a big country...

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Hey everyone,

Fellow Canadian here looking for a doctor(s) in or within a couple hours drive away from Montreal .

I meant to specify a doctor who uses Ashton protocol .

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. ❤️

Hey everyone,

I meant to specify a doctor who uses Ashton protocol .

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. ❤️

Sorry MP,

Other side of the country....

If I may say even if you find a doc who is simply willing to prescribe to you with what you are on, or to switch you to Valium then you can taper according to the Ashton Protocol on your now.  Many find it much too fast? 

Better to find someone who will go with what your body can adjust to...  Sorry if this is old info for you

My sig shows my hybrid version of it all... :D

:)

SS

Thanks sufferingsixty, trying to find a Ashton familiar doctor in Canada is like trying to find a unicorn!  I called a place in Toronto that was listed in this thread and hope to get a call back in 48 hours.

My pharmacist is on my side, more than my doc it seems so will just see how this next cut goes...first one not terrible.

Thanks anyway, hope you’re staying warm on the west coast!

Cheer,

MP

Thanks sufferingsixty, trying to find a Ashton familiar doctor in Canada is like trying to find a unicorn!  I called a place in Toronto that was listed in this thread and hope to get a call back in 48 hours.

My pharmacist is on my side, more than my doc it seems so will just see how this next cut goes...first one not terrible.

Thanks anyway, hope you’re staying warm on the west coast!

Cheer,

MP

Hi MP,

You are a short term user so hopeful you'll be able to taper down with minimal disruption.... Hope that the call to TO works out with a practitioner who is willing to help.  Or is your prescribing doc willing to be educated?  The manual is so available...

Great that your pharmacist is on your side -- that's a huge help.

It's wet on this side of the country..... really wet  :laugh: :laugh:

SS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

SS

I am interested in more info on this..did you purchase in us?

Hi All,

SS

I am interested in more info on this..did you purchase in us?

I did.  I chose a brand Kal-  that has been around since 1932.  It's an inexpensive supplement ($8 US) and continues to do good things for me -- that is I can continue to taper at my snail's pace.

At this point i have anyone I know getting me some when they go to the US  :laugh: so I have a good supply.

And for me it is helping.....

• 3 months later...

I thought I would revive this thread. Lots of exciting Canada-typical stuff going on here. Are you cheering for anyone specific in the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Are you paying attention to the chaos in parliament?

Is China going to completely screw us over for arresting their Huawei person?

Are you finally getting some decent weather where you are? (I think we've had our last snow here *praying*)

I have been exercising a lot. My recovery has been glacial, especially in terms of sleep improvement, but my exercise tolerance has really skyrocketed. On my most full days I am walking 3 hours, running for 30 minutes and doing a few weights. That is pretty much my maximum capacity for one day and then I need to use the next day to mostly recover, just going for a few walks etc.

Is anyone doing anything special for recovery? Any routine that has helped more than anything?

Hope everyone here is still very Canadian :)

DG

Here is an opportunity for anyone, to tell their story to the International Coalition of Investigative Journalists.  They are asking for your story and it doesn't have to be about medical devices/implants, which they've been covering on CBC for the last week.  There is a place on this form that you click on that says, "I want to tell you something else" and below that, "If you want to contact ICIJ for another reason, let us know below" and this is where you can tell them about benzodiazepines/z-drugs.  They are reading these.  You do not have to be interviewed.  You can remain anonymous.

Share your story with us:

https://www.icij.org/investigations/implant-files/do-events-in-the-implant-files-sound-familiar-share-your-story-with-the-world/?from=feature-articles

or contact us via:  Or contact us via contact@icij.org.

I'm not sure whether you guys have reported your adverse effects to Health Canada, but I'd highly recommend that. Very few people actually do, so when a number of patients report they've had a severe, disabling withdrawal reaction or adverse event, it has a multiplier effect and they take notice. You can report it here, at the Canada Vigilance Program: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medeffect-canada/canada-vigilance-program.html

Maybe if we combine our energies, we can actually get the regulators in this country to do their job and limit physicians' prescriptions to the maximum recommended time of 2-4 weeks. These reactions have been known about for something like 40 years, so there should be no excuse for physician ignorance on this issue. I think they just need a reminder from their oversight bodies :)

:thumbsup:

Also, nice stuff from Benzohno. Journalists are our allies in this fight. Doctors are going to try and hide the extent of the problem. They have known about adverse effects of long term benzo use for decades now and have done nothing to curb these prescriptions. Prescriptions have increased something like 70% since the 1990s, last I checked. If you want to be brave and tell your story to a journalist, you may be benefiting others and helping to prevent future patients from ending up in our position.

If you haven't reported the withdrawal as an adverse event to Vigilance Canada (our post-marketing surveillance program), I highly encourage you to do so. Doctors will not report it, as they only report about 1 in 1000 adverse events, so the only way regulators will know the extent of the problem is if we report it to them. They cannot take any action if they don't know there is a big problem with the widespread use of these drugs. If we report it to them, the worst thing that will happen is they will do nothing. At least then we can blame them for it and they cannot claim ignorance. Maybe they will even take some action to curb long term prescriptions and force doctors to learn how to withdraw people safely from the drugs (should the patient choose to do that). Currently doctors receive little to no training about tapering and withdrawal, which is an disgraceful situation and fully deserving of derision and outrage from patients. If you prescribe drugs that result in extreme physical dependence, the least you can do as a doctor is understand how to get your patient off of the drug without harming them.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medeffect-canada/canada-vigilance-program.html

Hope everyone is doing better :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am on 0.375 clonazepam and 7.5 mg zopiclone after being badly floxed in 2012. Any body know of a doctor in  south west Ontario the can help please? I have so many symptoms.

I liquid tapering the way to go?

Thanks everyone

Anne

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would revive this thread. Lots of exciting Canada-typical stuff going on here. Are you cheering for anyone specific in the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Are you paying attention to the chaos in parliament?

Is China going to completely screw us over for arresting their Huawei person?

Are you finally getting some decent weather where you are? (I think we've had our last snow here *praying*)

I have been exercising a lot. My recovery has been glacial, especially in terms of sleep improvement, but my exercise tolerance has really skyrocketed. On my most full days I am walking 3 hours, running for 30 minutes and doing a few weights. That is pretty much my maximum capacity for one day and then I need to use the next day to mostly recover, just going for a few walks etc.

Is anyone doing anything special for recovery? Any routine that has helped more than anything?

Hope everyone here is still very Canadian :)

DG

Hi Data Guy,

What was exercise like when you were at your worst? I am really struggling with exercise right now.

Hi Optimist,

It was pretty bad. After I jumped, I started losing weight pretty rapidly, and I could only walk around 20 minutes per day for the most part, and use a few light weights once per week. Once I stopped losing weight, I started gradually building up and am now running or doing weights every other day, plus 2 hours of walking per day. I know it's tough at the start.

Hi Optimist,

It was pretty bad. After I jumped, I started losing weight pretty rapidly, and I could only walk around 20 minutes per day for the most part, and use a few light weights once per week. Once I stopped losing weight, I started gradually building up and am now running or doing weights every other day, plus 2 hours of walking per day. I know it's tough at the start.

What would happen? Would you get short of breath or just tired?

Muscles were weak, my joints were sore and I had no energy because of the withdrawal, 3 hours sleep per night, and I wasn't able to eat enough calories. You will definitely get out of breath at the start and that will produce anxiety, but it's nothing to worry about. As long as you practice it by going just up to the point where you start to feel uncomfortable and then pull back, you will teach yourself that there is nothing to worry about. Eventually you can push things a bit more and just do some exposure therapy by getting yourself progressively more out of breath, getting your heart rate a little higher etc.

Is this what's happening, you're getting short of breath and it's increasing your symptoms? It might help if you described things.

Muscles were weak, my joints were sore and I had no energy because of the withdrawal, 3 hours sleep per night, and I wasn't able to eat enough calories. You will definitely get out of breath at the start and that will produce anxiety, but it's nothing to worry about. As long as you practice it by going just up to the point where you start to feel uncomfortable and then pull back, you will teach yourself that there is nothing to worry about. Eventually you can push things a bit more and just do somever e exposure therapy by getting yourself progressively more out of breath, getting your heart rate a little higher etc.

Is this what's happening, you're getting short of breath and it's increasing your symptoms? It might help if you described things.

I am short of breath :( Things were starting to improve - but then I had a bad scare with my heart racing at night and I developed imsomnia. I went 4 days straight without sleep and have had scant sleep ever since.

I tried gapapentin for sleep a few weeks ago and then it really upset my stomach and then it actually hurt to breathe for about a week.

Now I have dull stomach pain, nausea with shortness of breath - yay. I am at the point if I even try to go for a walk I am suffering terribly. Family doctor has been no help. I have been pretty anxious in all of this.

Muscles were weak, my joints were sore and I had no energy because of the withdrawal, 3 hours sleep per night, and I wasn't able to eat enough calories. You will definitely get out of breath at the start and that will produce anxiety, but it's nothing to worry about. As long as you practice it by going just up to the point where you start to feel uncomfortable and then pull back, you will teach yourself that there is nothing to worry about. Eventually you can push things a bit more and just do somever e exposure therapy by getting yourself progressively more out of breath, getting your heart rate a little higher etc.

I am short of breath :( Things were starting to improve - but then I had a bad scare with my heart racing at night and I developed imsomnia. I went 4 days straight without sleep and have had scant sleep ever since.

I tried gapapentin for sleep a few weeks ago and then it really upset my stomach and then it actually hurt to breathe for about a week.

Now I have dull stomach pain, nausea with shortness of breath - yay. I am at the point if I even try to go for a walk I am suffering terribly. Family doctor has been no help. I have been pretty anxious in all of this.

Sorry to hear that things got worse. It sounds like you're still in the thick of withdrawal, but you are only 6 months off, so that's not unexpected. I don't know if you have tried any other supplements or drugs, but I would avoid them in the future given your reaction to Gabapentin. They can definitely make things worse when your nervous system is so sensitive.

Is it just walking or any type of exercise that really sets you off? Is it an increase in heart rate in general? Do you have any other bothersome symptoms? Have you had your heart checked out by your doctor? If he has given the ok, then you probably don't need to worry. The nausea and stomach pain should subside once your body gets over the gabapentin. You are just going to need to start slow, walking a few minutes, then a few more, but lack of sleep can really exacerbate anxiety. Have you tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for insomnia? It's described here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/sleepless-in-america/200808/cognitive-behavioral-therapy-insomnia , but you can probably find a more detailed source. I've read a couple books on it: "Say Goodnight to Insomnia" by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs and "End The Insomnia Struggle" by Alisha Brosse and Colleen Erhnstrom. They are both very good and therapeutic to read, and the general technique works.

It took me quite awhile to build up the strength to workout every other day + 2 hours of walking, so it's ok to go slow. Really any activity or movement is good to help build your muscle up. You might benefit from working with a physical trainer or psychologist who understands these types of things (not just talking but actual walking). It can really help to have someone there with you. Does any of that sound like it might help?

• 1 month later...

I’m Canadian (Ontario)

I am in a terrible setback after being off these drugs for over 7 years. Never completely healed but did live at 90-95 percent for the last few years before this setback from hell.

Hi Moe, I am so sorry to hear after so long you are still having such a bad setback now, and throughout your 7 years post jump.  Have you been to your doctor to ensure it is Benzo related? I live in Toronto.  I hit tolerance withdrawal back in January and had no clue what was going on. My heart was beating either too fast or too slow and I went to a cardiologist twice bc I was sure something was very wrong. Both times checked out ok.I also lost a lot of weight and a colonoscopy came back with nothing as well.  What are you experiencing exactly?

Thanks  my worse symptoms are stomach pain, malabsorption and weight loss along with burning skin, neck pain, anxiety and insomnia.  I have had bloodwork multiple times ultra sound CT scan X-rays stomach scope. And apparently I’m healthy.  Although I am nothing but skin and bone 🙁 I am taking in more calories now than before I had this setback. I an thinking of seeing a naturopathic dr.