Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Was on for 10/12 Years - Off for 6 Days - No W/D After Klonopin Taper

[Al...]
Posted (edited)

So, I started benzos after rolling panic attacks back in 2011. I was prescribed 2mg Klonopin for 15 days.  I took it, got a refill, was off for a while, but went back on it half a year later.  I took it as prescribed for years, until 2016 when I got addicted to street Xanax and was ran out.  I withdrew from 6mg/day (3 bars) and it was hell.  Delirium/Panic/Insomnia were the main symptoms.

2017 I got off the Xanax and went back to taking 1mg of Klonopin a day.  One time I ran out of my prescription early and went through withdrawals.  Though not as bad, they were still horrifying, and after I took my 1mg of Klonopin I felt completely better, and decided it wasn't worth it to continue on it, and I started to taper.  I tapered down to 0.125mg over a year and got off that in September 2019.  I didn't feel withdrawals, but I couldn't get over the idea that if my tolerance went down, I could feel them again.  So I dabbled with them for a year or two (Why I put 10/12 Years), and went back on them full time in 2022, alongside 120mg Methadone/day from the clinic.

I tapered off Methadone, and then went for the benzos again, but it was a lot harder this time, b/c now doctors don't want to prescribe it for long, and have this massive ego complex sounding somewhat like "Don't worry if your at 0.5mg your not gonna have withdrawals and if you do it'll be two weeks and you're done."  Sound familiar?  Yeah I wasn't buying it.  And I got really lucky and got somebody to get me enough Kpin (When I was at around 0.25) to taper it the way I wanted to.  I tapered it like this, down from 1mg, and did this taper once a month:
1mg
0.75mg
0.5mg
0.375mg
0.25mg
0.125mg

Jumped 6 days ago.

I feel virtually no symptoms, which is good, b/c I now Klonopin is longer lasting, and usually takes a few days to fully feel.  Now that I'm at 6 days, I'm confident that this is about around the time where I should at least feel something.  Aside from some anticipatory anxiety that I also had while tapering, where I sweat a bit and get some anxiety when I go somewhere, like work or to see someone or be around a lot of people.  And when I'm with them or at the place for an hour or so, I feel fine.

This is a major blessing, and I just made this account b/c I want to help people in whatever way I can.  I heard about this place from a Youtube video, and I'm hoping I can help others get off of benzos, b/c it's a blessing that I'm in this situation.  That I was able to get the meds to taper (b/c my doctors wouldn't help me - I had one help me once and I failed and he wouldn't help me after that), and I did it and I'm in the situation I'm in right now, not taking benzos + not feeling withdrawals at the same time, is nothing short of miraculous to me.

If you need help, I'll try to help you best I can without playing doctor.  It can and does get better, and if I can do it (I'm just some guy) then you can do it, too!!

Edited by [Al...]
  • Like 1

[...]

@[Al...], welcome to BenzoBuddies!) What a story! It sounds just perfect and i hope you'll go on further the same way. But i'd keep being on my guard a bit longer, just in case) Benzo is such a tricky thing... 

Your desire to help and encourage people living through the hard time caused by benzo is wonderful! So touching and really worthy. We do need lots of encouragement and would appreciate it no end.

Once again, welcome :balloon:)

• Like 3

[...]
3 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Thanks Kate!

@[Al...], you're wellcome)) i think it would be a good idea if you keep updating us on your condition here for a while.

• Like 1

[Al...]

Alright.  Should I post under the same section (W/d, use and recovery)?

[Tw...]
9 hours ago, [[A...] said:

So, I started benzos after rolling panic attacks back in 2011. I was prescribed 2mg Klonopin for 15 days.  I took it, got a refill, was off for a while, but went back on it half a year later.  I took it as prescribed for years, until 2016 when I got addicted to street Xanax and was ran out.  I withdrew from 6mg/day (3 bars) and it was hell.  Delirium/Panic/Insomnia were the main symptoms.

2017 I got off the Xanax and went back to taking 1mg of Klonopin a day.  One time I ran out of my prescription early and went through withdrawals.  Though not as bad, they were still horrifying, and after I took my 1mg of Klonopin I felt completely better, and decided it wasn't worth it to continue on it, and I started to taper.  I tapered down to 0.125mg over a year and got off that in September 2019.  I didn't feel withdrawals, but I couldn't get over the idea that if my tolerance went down, I could feel them again.  So I dabbled with them for a year or two (Why I put 10/12 Years), and went back on them full time in 2022, alongside 120mg Methadone/day from the clinic.

I tapered off Methadone, and then went for the benzos again, but it was a lot harder this time, b/c now doctors don't want to prescribe it for long, and have this massive ego complex sounding somewhat like "Don't worry if your at 0.5mg your not gonna have withdrawals and if you do it'll be two weeks and you're done."  Sound familiar?  Yeah I wasn't buying it.  And I got really lucky and got somebody to get me enough Kpin (When I was at around 0.25) to taper it the way I wanted to.  I tapered it like this, down from 1mg, and did this taper once a month:
1mg
0.75mg
0.5mg
0.375mg
0.25mg
0.125mg

Jumped 6 days ago.

I feel virtually no symptoms, which is good, b/c I now Klonopin is longer lasting, and usually takes a few days to fully feel.  Now that I'm at 6 days, I'm confident that this is about around the time where I should at least feel something.  Aside from some anticipatory anxiety that I also had while tapering, where I sweat a bit and get some anxiety when I go somewhere, like work or to see someone or be around a lot of people.  And when I'm with them or at the place for an hour or so, I feel fine.

This is a major blessing, and I just made this account b/c I want to help people in whatever way I can.  I heard about this place from a Youtube video, and I'm hoping I can help others get off of benzos, b/c it's a blessing that I'm in this situation.  That I was able to get the meds to taper (b/c my doctors wouldn't help me - I had one help me once and I failed and he wouldn't help me after that), and I did it and I'm in the situation I'm in right now, not taking benzos + not feeling withdrawals at the same time, is nothing short of miraculous to me.

If you need help, I'll try to help you best I can without playing doctor.  It can and does get better, and if I can do it (I'm just some guy) then you can do it, too!!

I really like your tapering schedule. I used to work for a psychiatrist who prescribed a very similar tapering schedule for patients. 

• Like 1

[Tw...]
Just now, [[T...] said:

I really like your tapering schedule. I used to work for a psychiatrist who prescribed a very similar tapering schedule for patients. 

I meant the tapering schedule you have from the Klonopin. 

Also it took me Ten days to feel the withdrawal symptoms from the Xanax and Klonopin that I quit seven weeks ago. 

[...]
7 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Alright.  Should I post under the same section (W/d, use and recovery)?

No, not necessary but it seems to be the most suitable for the purpose forum here.

[Al...]
10 hours ago, [[T...] said:

I meant the tapering schedule you have from the Klonopin. 

Also it took me Ten days to feel the withdrawal symptoms from the Xanax and Klonopin that I quit seven weeks ago. 

Interesting.  Typically for me, if I stop taking it, I always feel something by day 4.  I'll keep you guys updated if any symptoms pop up.  One thing I have noticed is very mild anxiety, like almost unnoticeable, and some intrusive thoughts, but I've dealt with them before during my last Kpin taper in 2018, so at least I know what I'm dealing with and that they do go away eventually.

Also ty for complimenting my taper schedule I made it myself.  I decided to stop at 0.125mg before after splitting it into quarters it gets kinda hard to evenly split the pills.

[Tw...]
2 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Interesting.  Typically for me, if I stop taking it, I always feel something by day 4.  I'll keep you guys updated if any symptoms pop up.  One thing I have noticed is very mild anxiety, like almost unnoticeable, and some intrusive thoughts, but I've dealt with them before during my last Kpin taper in 2018, so at least I know what I'm dealing with and that they do go away eventually.

Also ty for complimenting my taper schedule I made it myself.  I decided to stop at 0.125mg before after splitting it into quarters it gets kinda hard to evenly split the pills.

Yes I really admire your tapering schedule. Also, I also suffer from anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Sometimes it is a battle to try to feel better. And yes, all symptoms will go away eventually. 

• Like 1

[PE...]

Hi and congratulations off coming of this poison!

6 days off and feeling as good as you do is wonderful. Some gets easy off thus stuff and you seems to be one of them :)

• Like 1

[mo...]

Congratulations on your successes in coming off these prescriptions! Thank you so much for sharing your experience, what an inspiration. I originally joined this site looking for stories like yours to encourage me to begin my own taper, only to find nonstop horror stories. The anticipatory anxiety of withdrawing has scared me so much, it’s kept me from pursuing important new ventures because of the inevitable suffering that must be coming (though I haven’t experienced any side effects of my own yet). Even if I’m giving myself false hope, your story makes me feel like there’s potential to do this without suffering for months/years on end. Congrats again.

[Le...]
On 02/05/2024 at 12:22, [[A...] said:

1mg
0.75mg
0.5mg
0.375mg
0.25mg
0.125mg

Jumped 6 days ago.

they are all playing doctor so dont worry about that.  the trade has more in common with religion than science. if i hear one more metaphor i maybreally go nutty.