The body twitchers group

[Bu...]

Just discovered this group and figured I should join, since I started having what feel like muscle spasms (myoclonic jerks) almost every night for the past few weeks. I was already suffering from insomnia, so this only makes it worse, as I find it impossible to sleep through. Every time I almost nod off, they prod me wide awake. And it's so unpredictable where they're going to hit next, anywhere from head to toe. Last night, I also had intense pain in my right arm along with the twitches, so am a total wreck today.

I saw a recommendation on here by MountainGirl on inositol and L-theanine. Has anyone else had success using that combo? Any other recommendations?

Yesterday I asked a neurologist about them, and was told there's no cure, that's it's brain-related, not a muscular problem.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Bu...]

• [Bu...]

• [...]

• [Pa...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid that a doc will say mine is brain related and caused by my abuse.  Do you think these specific problem is related to benzo use? 

I had the whole body electric jolts last summer.

The first two would come severe and the next 2-5 would be much less intense.

Bad night last night.  My body jerks were so severe.  I had a hard time sleeping.  I am almost 10 weeks off clonazepam.  I have an appointment to see my Dr on Friday to discuss this and my sleep study results.  I had to take a sleeping pill for the sleep study because I could not fall asleep.  I hope this isn't a set back from taking the sleeping pill.  Part of me wants the Dr to order more tests for my peace of mind.  These body jerks can be really scary at times.

My doctor was going to order neurological tests of some type relating to my twitching foot.  I think that it is benzo related.  But on the other hand it's only one foot.  I don't understand how all my limbs can be slightly tingly and one foot can have twitches like it has a mind of its own.  I had trouble wearing shoes yesterday.

I'm like you.  I'm going to let the doc order tests.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, good to find this especific group for body twitching.  I had and still have those. 

I took Clonazepan for a short period of time, from 2013 to 2014, when needed, for insomnia.  Then i CT on Aug. 5, after a terrible interdose wd episode.  I did not knew nothing about benzo wd and quit.

My worst symptoms were the twitches on hands, toes, eyelids and all over my body at the begining.  I was terryfied about having a terrible neurological disease.  I went to hell, had health ansiety, fear, panic, and so many other symptoms.  But the one that trigered all the other was always this twitching thing.

Now i´m clean from K for 8,5 months.  The last time i had the twitches was on february, they stayed for a week and went away.  Now they are back, after 6 weeks relief.

Since i have those windows of feeling normal, i dont want to stress the negative experiences i still have, with the twitching fingers and toes.  What o notice is that they are here, but in a weaker form, like more distant, less intense.

But i still have them.  When i have a wave i usually have other symptoms too: fever sensation, peeing a lot, some anorexia, panic of course, stiffness on body and jaw, slowness on thinking, moving, speaking... 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone with muscle weakness and atrophy in the twitching body parts? This is really starting to freak me out!!

I do have REAL strength loss in left gluteus & trapezius muscle, simultaneously. also freakin out with this symptom,cause don´t know if it´s w/d or something else...have u gone better with that?

[65...]

Anyone with muscle weakness and atrophy in the twitching body parts? This is really starting to freak me out!!

I do have REAL strength loss in left gluteus & trapezius muscle, simultaneously. also freakin out with this symptom,cause don´t know if it´s w/d or something else...have u gone better with that?

I have this too as do many, and I have cramps in my glutes and thigh & calves, mostly left side.  I'm almost 17 months out, it comes and goes now thankfully.  I have the akathesia also, at times my left leg is so weak I feel like it won't hold me up.  It's common, so don't worry.

I still get twitches occasionally, in my left foot and leg.  I take alpha lipoic acid, it's neuro-protective and has helped me greatly from all the nerve pain.  I couldn't have made it without it personally.  Diabetics take it for nerve pain.  My biggest problem personally is muscle cramps.  They have moved all over my body, in all joints, being bad in hips, shoulders and spine.  I get them in legs and arms when I do anything physical.  Cramps suck! 

Hugs, MG

• 2 weeks later...

Very relieved to find this group. Last night after a great day I had troubling problems with both legs/feet. They wanted to keep kicking and felt weird and agitated. Similar to heroin withdrawal. Freaked me out. Very uncomfortable, creepy feeling. Instead of bouncing my legs around on recliner, I took a small dose of Ultram and melatonin. Slept for 3 hours (usual pattern for me), then took my morning taper dose. Seems better.

Last summer I had lockjaw for a few weeks. Still have minor symptoms. Occasionally Charlie horse in legs in the last year. I didn't even think it might be drug related but am glad to see it most likely is since I am thin, in good physical health and exercise regularly.

The last few days it seemed every muscle in my body ached. Knees, back and arms especially. Better today. I feel more calm than ever since finding this website. So many posts ring true. Somehow by knowing others understand and reading Aston manual, it lessens the anxiety around these issues.

Feel better everyone. MG, I'll check out the supps you mentioned. In respond well to NAC, niacin and a whole food super vitamin with amino acids and such. Those things made the edginess disappear. I also take liquid magnesium and food stuff vitamin C.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm joining this group. This is one of my most disturbing symptoms for this moment. I have eye twitching, fasciculations, jerks, twitches, muscle problems,...

Wonder how you are all doing?

Oh yes and feeling as if electrical current runs through my body every time I lay down. The jerks are non stop during day. I hear a lot of ppl have it when they want to sleep, but are there other ones like me who have it during the day?

Hi Corsair. I'm looking at the mix of drugs you've taken overtime and feel for you. It's a highly body bashing combination even if it was a while ago for some of them. I'm glad you found this website.

I just jumped .25 mg Xanax and 50 mg tramadol. Feeling very low, rubber twitchy legs but holding tight. Trouble staying asleep. I rediscovered a tai chi/qigong teacher for the beginning of my journey. Started his workout a few days ago. Body and breathing. Will roll with th Dalai lama talks too.

It's a mind body tHing so that's what I'm addressing.

Hope your plates stop rattling soon. This ain't no party.

Hi, 

I'd like to join here, too.  I'm near the end of my Clonazepam taper and all the muscle tightening, shakes, tremors and jerks are getting stronger.  Was upset last night, then couldn't sleep and this morning had terrible jerking in my legs, core and neck that I couldn't stop.  The muscles would just freeze up, I'd shake and then they'd release.  Very scary and I'm worried about seizures :'(  Seems like I get really upset emotionally, symptoms are worse.  A lot of rubbery legs, pins and needles, weakness, pain-hard to even walk sometimes. 

Thanks for this thread.  From what I've read here, these symptoms are (unfortunately) rather common.

I think this is where I belong...

Hypnic jerks since last April (2 months after starting clonazepam).  I am 5 months off of clonazepam and still suffering relentless hynic jerks... very little to no sleep!!  Hoping that these will subside soon.  Anyone with these?

Love,

SleeplessMT

Corsair,  I had electric shocks going down my spine during the day from the time I started my taper until not too long ago.  That symptom really has subsided.  I am 17 months out.  I still have electric shocks at night.  The intensity of those shocks has greatly lessened.  A few years before my taper I went to see my Dr. because I was having electric shocks down my spine and legs when I would lay down.  He sent me to a neurologist who was not worried about the symptom.  Both physicians knew I was taking 0.25 of Xanax each evening.  I know now that I was in tolerance withdrawal.  Of course I was worried that I had some horrible neuromuscular disease.  Most of my symptoms have gone away or are greatly lessened.  I thought I was totally healed at about 10 months out.  Symptoms came roaring back (leg, ankle, and foot spasms ) at about 14 months out after an enjoyable but stressful holiday season.  I do believe the stress of the holidays brought my symptoms back. 

SleeplessMT:  how are you doing?  Hope you're feeling better.  I don't get hypnic jerks very often, but I do have daily shaking/tremors and very tight muscles.  I use CBD oil for these and it helps.  I also try deep breathing, meditation and EFT to help keep (somewhat) calm during this-they help, too.

Corsair:  I get the jerking/spasms during the day, too.  Usually in the morning-don't know if it has anything to do with sky-high cortisol levels in the early morning or not. 

Dog Tag:  Does the magnesium help you with spasms or muscle tightness?

Stress really ramps up my symptoms.  Does this happen to anyone else?

BurnedOut,

I am in the beginning of a massive plumbing project.  Our whole house is being replumbed, water heater being moved outside, whole house water filter system being installed.  This is day 2 of a 10 day project.  About half of our "stuff" is in boxes all over the house.  It is stressful and yes, I am having stronger electric shocks and more painful muscle cramps. 

Burned out,

That's what I feel like- burned out!  Horrible night with 45 minutes sleep.  Bad anxiety today over it.  At least 100 jerks.  All produce a muffled thump sound in my head.  I get jerks in my head too (it feels like my brain twitched).  I'm over this crap.  Can't even believe this is real... And happening to me!  Never a day of weird sleep pre-benzo.  Thanks for checking on me.  I hope to report better news next time.

<3,

sleeplessmt

KB:  Wow, hope the plumbing project is going smoothly for you so far!  Are you able to get any breaks from it for awhile and go somewhere for some peace and quiet?  Hope you can find some way to relax in the midst of all that.  Maybe they will finish up early :)

SleeplessMt:  Hope you are having a better day today.  Hang in there!!!

Dog tag:  love your determination and hope the tai chi helps

I had a bad day and night last night-hoping today is better.  Take care!

BI, It gets creepy at points but qigong & tai chi every morning, lots of walking, good food, & now super duper motivation. I'm seeing the error of my ways. I want to be free & successful.

Ground O is now end of April.

BurnedOut,  Hope you had a better day today than yesterday.  The plumbing project is coming right along.  Today I have water again in our kitchen and one bathroom is operational.  I can't get away from here while this is going on but I have a guest bedroom that has become my hideaway from the workers.  I have a thermos of water, bars of dark chocolate and my I-pad.  My little dogs are hiding out in our bedroom and I take naps in there with them.  It is almost interesting to feel the stress tighten up my leg muscles.  But each afternoon I do get relief not a total window but enough to know I can keep going. 

Dog tag, good for you getting so much exercise.  I am having problems walking at times but have joined curves for strength training and taking a balance class that I start next week or the week after depending when this plumbing project is over.  Before I went into tolerance W/D I hiked four miles each morning of the work week  with my Aussie Rocky.  Loved seeing the sun rise up on Mt. Rubidoux. 

Oh how lovely to be in nature. I live in industrial NJ. Have some work next week upstate New York. Intensely cold up there but next to a small mountain. Getting out of Dodge helps.