Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Menopause/Hormonal Support

[Di...]

It is true that woman will most likely follow in their Mom's footsteps when it comes to menopause. My Mom was very fortunate in that she had NO symptoms. She is 91 and doesn't look it. If I had not had the needless surgery, I probably would have been fine, like her. She always had a lot of Estrogen and so did I. That is why I take a lot now and have had to increase with age. I will on it forever. Most age related diseases are due to hormonal decline.

There are a lot factors that determine the timing for a woman.

Mine was because of an ignorant Dr. Sorry to vent, but it is the truth.

Yes, fat produces Estrogen, Estrone, which is not the most healthy one, but at least it is Estrogen. Estradiol is the main one we produce  in our childbearing years. It is the one that protects the bones, heart, brain etc. Estriol is the one woman produce in high amounts during pregnancy and it is the weakest of the 3.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Sm...]

• [...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dana, all this is too much for my benzo brain. I'm asking for blondes ok? Imagine you're 53, 54, start with the menopause and never had an operation like they so unfairly did to you (those people should be in prison). What exactly would you take?

Hi Dana, all this is too much for my benzo brain. I'm asking for blondes ok? Imagine you're 53, 54, start with the menopause and never had an operation like they so unfairly did to you (those people should be in prison). What exactly would you take?

V,

I would have my levels tested first before doing anything.

You are a funny gal! I am blonde, but 65.

If I had not had the surgery, I would probably still take it depending on my levels. My friends do and they are doing very well. They are in mid 60's to early 70's.

V,

I would have my levels tested first before doing anything.

You are a funny gal! I am blonde, but 65.

If I had not had the surgery, I would probably still take it depending on my levels. My friends do and they are doing very well. They are in mid 60's to early 70's.

Thank you Dana! Oh then you're the smart blonde haha. OK when I start with menopause I say I don't take anything until my levels get tested, then I get the prescription and then I'll come here and ask you people. If we're still connected by then  ;)

Hi Moe!

I believe the fluctuation in hormones, mainly Estradiol, can cause symptoms during and after taper.

I went through a surgical menopause which was not needed and that is how I ended up on Klonopin.

I take bio identical compounded hrt. I take Estradiol and a small amount of Testosterone. 

When the Estradiol drops, it can feel like withdrawal! At one point,back in 2013 my Estradiol went down to 10. I felt like I was dying. I was not tapering at the time. I had anxiety, hair loss, weakness, insomnia, nausea etc. The klonopin didn't even help me. I called my Dr and got my labs done. Sure enough, it was the E. My Dr bumped me up on the E and I started feeling good again. I do sublingual drops. Estradiol is important for the brain, bones etc.

So yes, this could all be due to your drop in hormones! You can get an Estradiol level and Progesterone level drawn to see where you are at. Hystersisters is an excellent site for menopause issues. Many women complain of symptoms so very similar to Benzo withdrawal.

I am getting my hormones drawn today. I am trying to stabilize because I cut .5mg of K in June by accident. Got the math wrong and Builder straightened it out. Great guy. My sublingual drops are great and I take them twice a day, but they peak pretty quick and then drop after about 6 hours. I can't do any other form. Creams don't work. The Patch is what led me to end up in the hospital 8 months after my Hysterectomy. I was so sick. I was put on Klonopin. Long story. Idiot Dr.

If you can get your levels drawn, that would be great and you would know. Low E can make you feel bad. It is bad enough to experience withdrawal, without having to deal with the hormone issue.

I am so glad you are Benzo free! This too, will pass! :)

Hi Dana. Blossom here, new to the group, so, ok this is my story: I was on birth control pills for 8 years more or less don't even remember, but I cut them 1 year and 4 months from now. Before cutting them off I had my hormone blood test done and my estradiol was on 10 also, progesterone was also low, don't remember the number. Had a chit chat with my Dr and I decided to cut the pills off , then I started the taper from .5. Everything was at the same time, but I did it.

I had an acne burst on my back and face, etc...NO more pills for me :) I am happy for that. I honestly don't want to do anymore tests until the end of my taper..don't want to mess my mind with more stuff ,and also I don't think taking hormones will do me any good. I am almost done with the taper.

so your dr just gave you the drops?? nothing happened?? (symptoms)

how are you feeling now?

I will get back on track with my hormones as soon as I finish this....but one step at a time ,I am taking soy milk only

Blossom

Hi Moe!

I believe the fluctuation in hormones, mainly Estradiol, can cause symptoms during and after taper.

I went through a surgical menopause which was not needed and that is how I ended up on Klonopin.

I take bio identical compounded hrt. I take Estradiol and a small amount of Testosterone. 

When the Estradiol drops, it can feel like withdrawal! At one point,back in 2013 my Estradiol went down to 10. I felt like I was dying. I was not tapering at the time. I had anxiety, hair loss, weakness, insomnia, nausea etc. The klonopin didn't even help me. I called my Dr and got my labs done. Sure enough, it was the E. My Dr bumped me up on the E and I started feeling good again. I do sublingual drops. Estradiol is important for the brain, bones etc.

So yes, this could all be due to your drop in hormones! You can get an Estradiol level and Progesterone level drawn to see where you are at. Hystersisters is an excellent site for menopause issues. Many women complain of symptoms so very similar to Benzo withdrawal.

I am getting my hormones drawn today. I am trying to stabilize because I cut .5mg of K in June by accident. Got the math wrong and Builder straightened it out. Great guy. My sublingual drops are great and I take them twice a day, but they peak pretty quick and then drop after about 6 hours. I can't do any other form. Creams don't work. The Patch is what led me to end up in the hospital 8 months after my Hysterectomy. I was so sick. I was put on Klonopin. Long story. Idiot Dr.

If you can get your levels drawn, that would be great and you would know. Low E can make you feel bad. It is bad enough to experience withdrawal, without having to deal with the hormone issue.

Hi Dana. Blossom here, new to the group, so, ok this is my story: I was on birth control pills for 8 years more or less don't even remember, but I cut them 1 year and 4 months from now. Before cutting them off I had my hormone blood test done and my estradiol was on 10 also, progesterone was also low, don't remember the number. Had a chit chat with my Dr and I decided to cut the pills off , then I started the taper from .5. Everything was at the same time, but I did it.

I had an acne burst on my back and face, etc...NO more pills for me :) I am happy for that. I honestly don't want to do anymore tests until the end of my taper..don't want to mess my mind with more stuff ,and also I don't think taking hormones will do me any good. I am almost done with the taper.

how are you feeling now?

I will get back on track with my hormones as soon as I finish this....but one step at a time ,I am taking soy milk only

Blossom

Hi Blossom!

I would just wait and finish your taper. I totally believe in hormone therapy. Not drug hormones, but Bioidentical. I have been on them for years. I had a surgical menopause, so I definitely need them. I have been on them throughout this ordeal. I just take Estradiol and a small  amount of testosterone for muscle mass, mood and energy. I do the sublingual compounded drops and they work fine. I can't do creams as I don't absorb them. The patch is what caused a reaction and thus the klonopin. Pellets I won't do as once they are in you are stuck. I don't the high doses that they give. I do fluctuate as I am these drops and stress can lower the Estradiol. I get it checked every 2-3 months. I need a lot of Estrogen to feel good. It dropped from April to June, so I am bumping it up. I like that I can tweak my own hormones based on how I feel. Just stay the course and focus on getting off. You are doing great!

Dana :)

Hi Moe!

how are you feeling now?

Blossom

Hi Blossom!

I would just wait and finish your taper. I totally believe in hormone therapy. Not drug hormones, but Bioidentical. I have been on them for years. I had a surgical menopause, so I definitely need them. I have been on them throughout this ordeal. I just take Estradiol and a small  amount of testosterone for muscle mass, mood and energy. I do the sublingual compounded drops and they work fine. I can't do creams as I don't absorb them. The patch is what caused a reaction and thus the klonopin. Pellets I won't do as once they are in you are stuck. I don't the high doses that they give. I do fluctuate as I am these drops and stress can lower the Estradiol. I get it checked every 2-3 months. I need a lot of Estrogen to feel good. It dropped from April to June, so I am bumping it up. I like that I can tweak my own hormones based on how I feel. Just stay the course and focus on getting off. You are doing great!

Dana :)

Thank you so much for the information and support Dana, I really appreciate it. I search for Biodentical hormones and to be honest I am very new at all this. It says they are like "natural" synthetic hormones? (I don't get it lol) and since I am in Mexico I don't know if I can find them....I will talk to my Gyn after I finish my taper :)

much love

blossom

Blossom,

Bioidentical hormones are not synthetic. They are exaclty what your ovaries produce. Estradiol is a bioidentical hormone. Premarin, Provera and others I can't remember are synthetic. You don't have to have them compounded at all. Estradiol generic tabs are available in the US and are sold at Walmart, CVS, Walgreens etc. They are $4.00 for a month supply. Very inexpensive. They come in .5mg, 1mg and I believe 2mg.

Hystersisters.com is a great place to learn all about the different ones and other women's experiences.

I believe hormones are important to staying healthy as we age, but we are all different. Since I had my ovaries removed, I need them. They are good for heart, bone and the brain. Again, focus on your taper and then you can decide which way is best for you! :)

Blossom,

Bioidentical hormones are not synthetic. They are exaclty what your ovaries produce. Estradiol is a bioidentical hormone. Premarin, Provera and others I can't remember are synthetic. You don't have to have them compounded at all. Estradiol generic tabs are available in the US and are sold at Walmart, CVS, Walgreens etc. They are $4.00 for a month supply. Very inexpensive. They come in .5mg, 1mg and I believe 2mg.

Hystersisters.com is a great place to learn all about the different ones and other women's experiences.

I believe hormones are important to staying healthy as we age, but we are all different. Since I had my ovaries removed, I need them. They are good for heart, bone and the brain. Again, focus on your taper and then you can decide which way is best for you! :)

wow Dana thank you so much!!!!  To be honest I was worried that my gyn will give me more pills, I am also afraid of all the cancer risks. etc. But this time, I have control....won't lose it again! I will do my research and definitely see what is best. (thanks for the page!!)

big hugs

Blossom

• 1 month later...
I am at the last 20% of my taper. Is it possible to get tolerance withdrawal from increasing bioidentical estrodial creme about 25%? I think this happenenef to me.  All my taper rates are constant. Feedback please!

My guess is that the estrogen is causing your symptoms and not withdrawal.  However, indirectly withdrawal comes into play because it seems to make us so much more sensitive to hormonal changes. I would steer clear of hormones and reevaluate after you are off and settled. Estrogen can cause extreme anxiety and panic, are those your symptoms?

• 4 weeks later...
Saige, I'm a bit confused. I'm 51, no menopause yet but I guess it won't be long. I'm having a very difficult taper. When the menopause starts, I want to know what to do. I see posts here saying that HRT is essential, and other posts stating that estrogen will make anxiety and panic much worse. Is HRT and estrogen the same thing?

hrt Is synthetic progesterone and or estrogen.  I’m not a doctor and this is all just my understanding.  The issue for benzo users is that progesterone acts on our GABA and as you can see in this thread, many women have had the same withdrawal experience from progesterone.  I do not plan on using it because of this.  Maybe after a long time off I could consider it but probably not.  Estrogen also causes anxiety for me and I don’t plan to use that either.  Women never had hrt throughout history and it just seems to drag out the transition of menopause.  I do think we are being hit with a double whammy with withdrawal and perimenopause.  Imagine how good we will feel when we are through this!

Saige

You are referring to the DRUG in which the estrogen is derived from horse urine. The progestin-provera is also a terrible drug. All hrt cancer studies dealt with these drugs.

I do not take these. I take natural bio identical estrodial and progesterone. Blood levels are drawn to balance these hormones  my p was way higher and I added a little estrodial in creme form to balance .

I have since learned my tapering too fast and drinking wine caused my crash.

I took bio identical progesterone too (prometrium) I won’t take the synthetics either.  But progesterone of any kind works on gaba which is why I want to stay away from it in withdrawal

hrt Is synthetic progesterone and or estrogen.  I’m not a doctor and this is all just my understanding.  The issue for benzo users is that progesterone acts on our GABA and as you can see in this thread, many women have had the same withdrawal experience from progesterone.  I do not plan on using it because of this.  Maybe after a long time off I could consider it but probably not.  Estrogen also causes anxiety for me and I don’t plan to use that either.  Women never had hrt throughout history and it just seems to drag out the transition of menopause.  I do think we are being hit with a double whammy with withdrawal and perimenopause.  Imagine how good we will feel when we are through this!

Saige I don't know if I'll ever be through this. I had a terrible crash last summer and updosed and I'm holding, improving but so so slowly that I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to taper again. I need to be fully functional to support my daughter so it's not an option. So you aren't taking anything for menopause am I right? To be honest, I'm of the same opinion. It's a natural process. Anyway, if HRT can make wd worse I really don't want to risk it.

Yes I’m not taking hrt and hope to avoid it.  I’m so sorry you had that crash.  You’re still very low so that’s good.  If you’re not ready to taper, in my opinion it’s absolutely fine to hold as long as you need.  I took klonopin for 25 years and to be honest I’m very thankful for a lot that it did for me.  I don’t ever want to take it again though.  I’m still trying to determine what part of my symptoms are withdrawal and what is hormonal....and I guess much of it is both. 

Saige I'm so so glad you stepped off. I'd also like to be away from this drug forever but the crash has completely destabilized me and I don't believe in pushing through intolerable symptoms unless you can afford to be housebound and I can't. I'm panicking that holding what if I end up in hospital one day and they CT me, what if this and that happens... I guess the fear is a mix of wd plus knowing now after the crash, what the lack of drug can actually do to me. Anyway I digress. I agree with you. I'm not risking ANYTHING that could make this even worse. No way.

I totally had those same fears.  Hopefully you can store up as much as you can so you can be in control of your taper if God forbid some doc tries to CT you. 

Saige yes, I have a stash for one year on my current dose. That'd give me time to find a new doctor. My main fear is ending up in hospital for something unrelated to bwd and losing control of my taper in the hospital.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not been on here in a long time!!!  I'm currently not tapering down my 5 mgs of Librium.  Still too scared. I'm also on BioIdentical hormones as I make nothing and can't walk without them.  I become bedridden.  Plus I want to avoid osteoporosis down the road and heart disease, etc.  which hormones help.  I've been in hormone groups for 2 years and I've learned a lot.

My question is I keep hearing that Estradiol increases glutamate activity...is that true?  And if so, that can't be a good thing in benzo Withdrawal as we want to avoid excess Glutamate.  I was just wondering cause when my levels get too high I suffer with dang jaw pain and tension in my muscles but it happens when my levels drop too.  I don't know if I'm doing the right thing here. 

Also it's very clear that oral Progesterone is a positive modulater of the GABA A receptor but I do take 100 mgs of it...don't dare C/T off that one again.

What I'm learning now is that Testosterone is also a positive allosteric modulater of the GABA A receptor...wth?!  No wonder it makes me sleepy!  I do T cream.  did pellets too at one point. 

Big question is will taking Testosterone and Progesterone cause my receptors to down regulate even more?  Can't say they have as I still do well on my benzo ....well I guess.  Hard to tell as i crash on hormones every night and feel awful till I get more in me. 

Can peeps take these kinda hormones through withdrawal, stay on these hormones and actually heal those Gaba receptors?  You would think not.  Any input!  This is all terrifying me now.

Magnolis...hey there friend...off Facebook for awhile so not in the hormone group.  Got to be too much for me.  I really think that upping the Estradiol is what is causing you the issues.  We get serious flucs on the creams...I feel it daily.  I'm just waiting for it to all put me into tolerance.  And Saige is right...for some Estradiol can cause anxiety..it does for me at higher doses but it also causes anxiety at a very low dose.  It's so hard to mange my friend!!  But I think that's your culprit.

Estradiol helps protect from glutamate toxicity. I have been on the compounded bio identical bi est and testosterone since 1999. I had a total hysterectomy in 1997 which started the whole mess with Klonopin. Did not need the surgery. Ended up on a Vivelle patch and it made me so sick. I was in the hospital for a week and discharged on the K. Long story. I then was on Premarin which was awful.

Finally I found a great GYN who specialized in HRT. I take a fairly high dose of Estradiol/Estriol sublingual, along with 1mg of Testosterone. I feel great when my E level is 200 and higher. If it drops, I feel like I am in withdrawal. I too, am bedridden. It helps with the brain, heart, bones and so many other areas of the body.

I take the E twice a day and the T at night. It does help with sleep and I get sleepy after taking it. I take .25mg in the morning and the .75mg at night. I could not function without my hormones.

When my levels fall, I get anxious, jumpy, short of breath, weak, tinnitus, and the list goes on.

It is a challenge trying to maintain balance, especially when dealing with the Benzo withdrawal

Hystersisters is a good site for info and reading what other women are dealing with.

I hope and Pray that everyone here will heal.

Dana

Dana you're not bedridden now I hope 🙁. If I knew of a good doctor I'd try what you're doing when my time comes, but I'm scared of going to a doctor who prescribes something like the first meds you got. It's scary. My pms is horrible though, added to bwd, I'm having a great time with my anxiety and depression and trying to guess if it's all bwd. This is all so much fun isn't it? Couldn't we just be men?