Menopause/Hormonal Support

[Di...]

Dana, thanks so much for sharing that!  I do know a few women on benzos and hormones and doing well.  And those tapering as well. 

I didn't know that about Estradiol so thanks so much for easing my mind.  Let me tell ya when my levels drop I have the same sxs you do including tinnitis which took me forever to figure out which decline in hormone was responsible for that.  I also get bad leg pains...like I have the flu and some hand joint pain.  All that goes away when I take more Estradiol.  And you don't have to sell me twice on how bad we women need hormones...bioIdentical ones that is.  Doctors are finally getting on board with the Bios...they've all been frightened by that awful WHI study of 2002 which was synthetic hormones.  Women need to be informed. 

I also take Estradiol twice a day...maybe I'll look into the sublinqual.  Also I do T once a day in the a.m.  But it seems to wear off me in the late pm. so will try another dose.  Testosterone withdrawal isn't fun for me. 

So sorry you had to have a hysterectomy.  Many in my hormone group have.  I was on BC pills for so many years that it just shut me down.  My FSH goes up to 175!!  Now it's at 39 and trying to get it down more. 

No way I could do a benzo taper without hormones in me...it's why I put it off for so long.  Still trying to find my magic delivery method with these Bios!  Oh those patches are awful!  I got huge surges then crashed by Day 2 1/2.  Never again. 

thanks again for sharing your story with me.  Good luck in your taper! 

Valiumnomore...YES, it would be so much easier to be a man!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Sm...]

• [...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Libr, I'm 51 and wondering, if I still have my period normally, every month, would I still need hormones as I'm 50? After reading you I'm wondering if my taper is more difficult due to some hormone imbalance.

Libr, I'm 51 and wondering, if I still have my period normally, every month, would I still need hormones as I'm 50? After reading you I'm wondering if my taper is more difficult due to some hormone imbalance.

I'm 51 too (won't do hormones) and I definitely think the craziness of the hormones are impacting me.

Valiumnomore.....hi!  so you have regular periods a month then?  I wouldn't be starting hormones then.  The stress of a benzo taper can throw them outta wack and if you add in hormones it will eventually stop the production of your own plus your nervous system is very fragile right now and adding in hormones may make it worse at this stage. 

If I knew that I'd be tapering off a benzo I'd get back on my birth control pills as I never felt any flucs from them and and I could have made it where I wouldn't have to take that last week of pills and move on to another packet therefore avoiding any E and P fluctuations.  On these Bios I feel them awful...guess cause I'm on creams and they cause a rapid rise and then a bottom out within 8 to 10 hrs.  I felt less flucs on the pellets but I burn through those too fast so not worth it.  Many people do great on hormones but many don't.  I personally wouldn't risk it for you right now.  the flucs are so bad for me that I can't taper down off my benzo.  It's my own fault cause I'm scared to up them.  It's been a crazy wild ride for me but that's a longer story. If my body made it's own hormones I wouldn't be on them.  But 18 years on BC pills shut me down bad. 

I do feel for the women going through bad hormone flucs during benzo WD.  Makes it even more difficult I can imagine.  It's hard to tell what is what! 

Take care! 

Oh I'm sorry...but were you directing your question to Libr...I know there is a gal on here that goes by that name.  But I don't see her comment. 

Lib thank you! I was directing my question to you  :). Then I won't start the hormones because yes I have my period once a month. You start when it starts being less regular or when it stops altogether? I wonder if I'd be better on bc pills, as I'd skip all this pms.

Valiumnomore....well it's probably hard to find a doc to give you BC pills at the age of 50.  I swear as soon as I turned 50 my GYN took me off BC pills for 3 weeks to do labs...I felt awful...of course my levels were non-existent.  I quickly got back on them.  Then he pushed the pellets on me so got off them during Day 3 of Pellet hormone therapy.  that was a huge rollercoaster ride for me!  I had my first panic attack ever and had to go the ER...my Testosterone rose up to 238...never made that much when I made my own!! 

Yes, when your periods get irregular and once they stop completely for 12 months that's considered meno.  Hard to tell whether BC pills would be helpful to you or not as some don't tolerate them.  I luckily did well on them but they did give me high cholesterol, high trigs and gallbladder disease.  Tho it would have been an ideal situation to be on them during benzo WD for sure.  Now I'm stuck on the benzo and just pray for the best.  I had the worst bleeding after my son was born and became severely anemic so I got on the BC pills which helped a lot. 

Sounds like the taper isn't messing with your hormones much at all for now...that's good.  The only way to avoid the flucs is skipping the last week on a BC packet which I had done a few times..those were back in the good ole days....lol.  It also decreased the metabolism of my Benzo (Librium)...had no clue it was doing that...I wondered why I felt so dang good with zero jaw pain..now I know I guess cause when doc pulled me off it was no fun.  It like put me in Benzo WD.  I've stabilized tho but it took a long time. 

Sorry I'm rambling on here.  Just know that BC pills are also cross tolerant to benzos...it's all madness for a woman to go through this!  Not fair! 

Lib you really went through a lot with the BC pills and the hormones  :(. I don't know what cross tolerant to benzos means but I'm guessing it means that BC pills could mess up my taper even more? I know PMS is really an issue for me and now in bwd it even makes things worse. I was wondering then if the BC pill would eliminate the PMS as I think it does, because some women take it just for that. But if they are cross tolerant to benzo then I guess it wouldn't work that way? I could ask my psychiatrist and see what he thinks. He always wants me on more meds so maybe he'd love the idea  :laugh: Not that I'm going to do it just because he says so but it's another opinion.

valiumnomore...I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to highlite anything...lol. I'm not compuer savvy. 

I learned about cross tolerance in the menstrual group.  I  still had some PMS sxs a little on the BC pills but not near as bad (btw I was on a low dose one as I couldn't handle the higher dose BC pills).  BUT, had I not taken the last week of my packet (the colored ones) and just continued on to a new packet every 3 weeks I wouldn't have felt any flucs at all..meaning no PMS.  And I sometimes did that to avoid bleeding...but that's not a good thing to do.  I took Mircette brand BC pills and they worked great on me. 

A lady on here...Summer Breeze I think her name is... well she was on BC pills in her 50's and tapering off K...well her GYN pulled her off the BC pills cause of her age...50something and it totally screwed up her taper (hence the cross tolerant issue).  She was a mess.  She went back on the BC pill and took it like I said above (3 weeks and onto a new packet) to avoid any flucs.  She ended up having to updose on her taper for quite a while and then tapered down while on the BC pills and she said it was a whole lot easier.  Now she is on Bio Identical hormones and doing well!! 

I also know of someone unfortunately that was rapid tapered off her benzos (she was on 2).  Of course she was put in hell but she was eventually having some windows.  she had been on BC pills for a long time...she was in her 40's. Well she thought maybe her BC pills were causing her hairloss due to the androgenic affects of the Progestin (they are Testosterone derivatives) so she wanted to switch to another BC pill that has less androgenic affects.  So I told her about mine and how it has less androgenic affects.  Well she switched and was thrown into another horrible wave that she didn't survive through.  It was so heartbreaking to me as she helped me out a lot that I swore I'd never get off this shit benzo.  She was Red Sky on here...I miss her! 

So those are examples of cross tolerance.  It all just sucks!!  We take a gamble no matter what we do.  If you were to react to the BC pills then getting off may set you back some.  Or even getting on them.  I wish I could tell you something more positive!!  You could do very well on them and get off the benzo but then you'd need to wean off the BC pill...yep you can actually wean off them...I had no idea you could.  Read Summer Breeze's posts and you may find some answers...she also messaged me as well.  Very nice lady.  I'd also check out the menstrual support group on here and see if anyone has started BC pills while in Benzo WD. 

Haha on your psychiatrist....well at least you don't have to fear him cutting you off your V!  I have a neuro for my supplier.  Looks like we've both been on benzos long term.  I wonder if it's even possible to withdraw after that long a time.  idk.  Too scared to try!! 

Hi Lib18,

If you'd like to highlight (quote) another persons post, you can hit 'quote' instead of reply when you want to respond.  Just scroll down the quoted area to just below the

at the bottom of the post and put in your own response, then hit post.  It's really quite easy and you can click on preview to see if you did it correctly, I use preview all the time to make sure I've done things right.

Pamster

P.S. Sorry to interrupt.  :)

Lib, the story about the second woman in her 40s breaks my heart. I understand she passed? OK I think I won't risk taking anything at all. I think by what you say, that the danger with bc and benzos is coming off bc while still in bwd due to taper or CT or recent taper. Maybe if you start on bc to help reduce your pms while tapering, it would be OK, as long as you wait a long time after your taper is over to come off the bc. But this is just my guess of course so I wouldn't risk it without more info. I'll check out that pms group.  You wonder if we can still come off. Well lib, I wonder too and I'm a single working mom so I have to stay functional, there's no other option. I'm holding for as long as it takes because I had a really, and I mean really bad crash. If I ever stabilize, I'll try cutting a very tiny percentage and see what happens. That's my aim  :)

Hi Lib18,

If you'd like to highlight (quote) another persons post, you can hit 'quote' instead of reply when you want to respond.  Just scroll down the quoted area to just below the

at the bottom of the post and put in your own response, then hit post.  It's really quite easy and you can click on preview to see if you did it correctly, I use preview all the time to make sure I've done things right.

Pamster

P.S. Sorry to interrupt.  :)

Thanks Pamster...let's see if this works!

Pamster....Ugh...I tried!  lol.  thank you!

Valiumnomore....we are alike as I was able to cold turkey off my Librium years ago and I was on 10 mgs!!  But I had only been on it a little over a year.  I was still taking my AD...started tapering that then got pregnant and stopped it C/T for the most part..no issues.  No way I could do that now!!  the pregnancy hormones took care of everything...relaxed all my muscles...wish I could just have those high hormones again! 

Yes, we have to function.  I hear of way too many people bedridden so it all terrifies me.  I hope you can stabilize and try again some time.  Had I known now what I knew just 3 years ago I would have stayed on the BC pills and tried to taper down but now it's too late and I can't chance taking them again...who knows what they would do to me...and getting off Bio's is no fun at all.  I didn't realize I was C/T'ing off 2 hormones that potentiate the GABA A receptor...had no clue!!  It really messed me up!  I'm still not the same and don't think I ever will be. 

Yes, that lady took her life...very tragic.  Hormones are just so powerful no matter what kind we take..synthetic or otherwise.  I've felt so awesome on every psych med I've been on but these Bio hormones are kickin' my arse.  But I don't function without so I'm stuck...now where have I heard that before? 

Take care and I wish you the best! 

You did great, you're almost there!

Just make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom of the post, keep trying, you're going to love the sense of accomplishment, your benzo brain can do this!  ;D

Omg, that is so sad. That poor lady.  I was taking hormones. Hrt for probably 7 mos. I didnt feel anything from them. I was not sure what was wrong with me. I just did not feel right and f8gured ir must be hormones. I took them and nothing. I eas on 2 mg x st the time switched from k. I was in interdose wd. Bad tremors and mental stuff. I was told no it is not the benzo. I believe itvwas. I am sure i was having periemenopuse sx but 8 dont know because I was going thru both at the same time. I just stopped them ct. I didnt feel anything. I wonder if i am hav8ng menopause sx. I dont know. Benzo wd seems to have alot of the same sx. I w8sh i could take het but I am afraid too now. I am so sensitive and afraid to add more pills to the mix. It makes m9re confusion. I took a statin and it practically killed me.  Made me sick and stopped. I have muscle pain. I dont know if its the statin or benzo or it was both. I just feel like a few years ago all meds stopped working.  Pretty scary. Maybe in perimenopase pills dont work. I dont know. I am much better though. Not like I was.

Lib, I got so sad reading about that buddy who left. I will pray for her as I do for all who have left us due to this drug. We will make it though, one way or another. OK so after reading your last post I understand it's safer to not start taking absolutely anything during benzo wd as far as hormones are concerned. I won't run risks then. I've had enough adventures in my life lately. Suzy, maybe part of your sxs were a consequence of the HRT cold turkey?

Hi Janice,

I felt pretty much the same before and after. It 8s as if I took norhing at all. It is strange. I stipped becuz I yho7ght they would help and did nothing. ugh

Those statins do cause muscle pain.  My doc wanted me on one 2 years ago but I was going through hormone withdrawal and my legs were aching so bad.  Freaked me out!  I then started one hormone back atta time to figure out if it was in fact a hormone deficiency or if I was going in tolerance to my benzo.  Once I got back on Estradiol it all went away.  It comes back in the evening when the cream runs out then I reapply.  Right now I think it's too high cause I have no leg pains at all..no joint pain but my jaw is killing me!!  I have a love/hate relationship with these dang hormones just like my benzo.  And you are right, menopausal sxs or hormone deficiencies can be a lot like benzo Wd so hard to tell what is what. 

I just think that if one is doing a taper they probably shouldn't add in hormones to the mix or take them out if they've been on them before tapering. 

I applaud you both for trying to get off after long-term use.  I was reading in the Long Term users support group and it terrified me!  God help us!

Pamster...thank you!  I'm in too much pain to try and do much of anything today.  I'll get it eventually.  BTW, I'm amazed that you got off your benzo and are now feeling so good...gives others hope!

Ugh I've never been to that group. I won't go there today then. I'm a bit sensitive already. I'll take a look when I feel stronger. Lib, why do you rule out a slow slow slow extra slow taper?

Valiumnomore....I tried to do a liquid titration with zero hormones in me back in 2017.  I put my 5 mgs of Librium in 150 mls of water and took out .25 mls the first day, .50 the next and .75 the next.  Got slammed with jaw/face pain, pain behind the eyes, shoulder pain.  I think that was a 5% cut rate.  I then decided to get back on hormones cause I was still suffering some with that.  I then thought once I got balanced on those I'd taper down. Well it's been 2 years and I can't get these hormones balanced for nothing!  And I have to have them or I suffer so much.  And I'm very worried that starting a taper would make me sensitive to the Bio hormones and I'd have to get off them which would be hell for me.  Dana knows how bad it is to have our levels go down.  We get awful sxs. 

I just can't deal with the pain every day for who knows...5 years?  Then a jump after that?  Plus I believe the meds still work for me well...except when my hormones go down so I'm too scared to rock the boat.  Maybe I would succeed with a VERY slow taper but I hear of peeps suffering even with that!  And I just read more in the Updosing group...this all scares the crap outta me.  I'm perfectly fine when I don't get my hormone levels up too high or too low.  It's madness!  I can't start a taper with these crazy hormone flucs.  I may need to find another delivery method at this point. 

L8b,

I know it is awful. You dont know what is from what.  I drives me crazy. Iwas pretty bwd back then

No pain but was so not right.  I hope this muscle stuff stops. I would have never taken the statin. Bit i did feel the extreme muscle pain ans pins and needles from a bad co to v from x. Omg my body was wrecked. Plus i was still taking the dam statin. I stopped. That was back in April. The pain is alot better. But still there. I wish i could take hormones i am just to terrified of the wwy my body might react. Im sure hormones are def making our moods crazy too. I am not going to that group either Janice.  We dont need any thing else scaring us. We will all be ok.

Valiumnomore....I tried to do a liquid titration with zero hormones in me back in 2017.  I put my 5 mgs of Librium in 150 mls of water and took out .25 mls the first day, .50 the next and .75 the next.  Got slammed with jaw/face pain, pain behind the eyes, shoulder pain.  I think that was a 5% cut rate.  I then decided to get back on hormones cause I was still suffering some with that.  I then thought once I got balanced on those I'd taper down. Well it's been 2 years and I can't get these hormones balanced for nothing!  And I have to have them or I suffer so much.  And I'm very worried that starting a taper would make me sensitive to the Bio hormones and I'd have to get off them which would be hell for me.  Dana knows how bad it is to have our levels go down.  We get awful sxs. 

I just can't deal with the pain every day for who knows...5 years?  Then a jump after that?  Plus I believe the meds still work for me well...except when my hormones go down so I'm too scared to rock the boat.  Maybe I would succeed with a VERY slow taper but I hear of peeps suffering even with that!  And I just read more in the Updosing group...this all scares the crap outta me.  I'm perfectly fine when I don't get my hormone levels up too high or too low.  It's madness!  I can't start a taper with these crazy hormone flucs.  I may need to find another delivery method at this point.

Lib I completely agree that being functional is the aim unless you're rich and you have a wife or husband to pay the bills for a few years. Not my case. I really hope you can stabilize hormone wise and then start a 2% cut and wait three months. I'm not stable at all. Updosed in July and holding with a lot of glutamate damage still causing very bad waves. IF I EVER stabilize, I'll cut 5% and hold three months. That's my plan. I do know it'll take me a long time to stabilize. The crash was brutal. Too many cts in the past have taken a toll on my brain. But I didn't know 😢

Janice dont go. You will scare yourself. We are already scated enough.  :o

OK Suzy sweetie I won't go. Have you been there already? I do learn a lot in the protracted section, those people really teach coping skills and we never know what our future will be anyway. But today I feel weak. I've been reading too much stuff. On the bright side, this condition has made me live every moment with my daughter as if it was the last, as if it was the most precious thing, which is true anyway. I keep making beautiful experiences for us because now I really know that I have no idea how long I'll be here. I hope you have a beautiful or at least tolerable new years eve.

I just dont want you to get triggered. I am sorry you are ferling weak. You probably exhausted. I have been treasuring moments alot too. Things mean so much more. You will make it through this. It is just going to take a long time. For both of us. We never know how paws will be. Omg..i cant even think of it. I hope we go through ok. I do want to check out the coping skills. Seriously, can you believe we are going thru this shit! I cant believe anything like this exists. I hope you feel better and gave a nice Nrw years with your daughter!! Ly Suzy

I just dont want you to get triggered. I am sorry you are ferling weak. You probably exhausted. I have been treasuring moments alot too. Things mean so much more. You will make it through this. It is just going to take a long time. For both of us. We never know how paws will be. Omg..i cant even think of it. I hope we go through ok. I do want to check out the coping skills. Seriously, can you believe we are going thru this shit! I cant believe anything like this exists. I hope you feel better and gave a nice Nrw years with your daughter!! Ly Suzy

🐘🐘🎊💖

• Popular Now