Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Menopause/Hormonal Support

[Di...]

[ea...]

Im experiencing the same, Rach.  Periods coming every 14 days then 28 with HUGE increase in inner vibrations, crying spells and body pain.  Horrid.Decided to give the patch a try; will let you know how it goes.

Ss

Oh that would be so great!  Let me know.  Do your WD symptoms increase during your cycle as well???  Mine seem to magnify by 10!!!  I’m always available by PM’s too!

Thank you, thank you for responding!

Rach

Yes!  They're magnified, alright.  Begin about 5 days before my period and about 3 days into and then will lift to my baseline yuck. Ive experimented with not cutting at all 2 weeks prior to and its the same rodeo.  Truly awful.

Are your symptoms any better now under 1mg?

Yes, PM anytime,

Some symptoms have gotten more tolerable since below 1 mg, but some not.  As with everything benzo, it’s always unpredictable, but my cycle has always been horrendous from the start of my taper.

I am ok before my cycle, then sick from day 1 until about two weeks after.  I then have a week of ok, then it starts all over.  I have tried progesterone cream and it was horrible so I know that won’t work.  I too have tried not to taper around my cycle, but like you, it doesn’t matter, so I push forward.

You are almost under 1 mg as well...it’s nice to be so low, but I had hoped things would get better but they haven’t.  :(

Good luck and let’s pray and hope the patch helps, even if a little!

Rach

Was really hoping to see improvements on these lower dosages; but alas, not to be. I’m getting hit with some nasty physical ones making me gunshy to keep pushing forward at a reasonable pace but know off is needed.

What are your 2 toughest symptoms under 1?

Ss

My two toughest symptoms are headaches/migraines, that are daily to varying intensity and then this weird dizziness/pressure/concrete/hangover feeling in my head!!!  I hate it and it’s bad.

I have a host of other symptoms too, but the head stuff is horrible!  Oh, plus this mentrual stuff. Argh!

What are yours???

So strange how these poisons hit people differently.

Mine is all physical: akasthesia, inner vibrations, trash compactor muscles and these nighttime blasts of cortisol/adrenaline that leave me vibrating and burning for hours. 😕

We need off, Rach, and begin the healing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Sm...]

• [...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Im experiencing the same, Rach.  Periods coming every 14 days then 28 with HUGE increase in inner vibrations, crying spells and body pain.  Horrid.Decided to give the patch a try; will let you know how it goes.

Ss

Oh that would be so great!  Let me know.  Do your WD symptoms increase during your cycle as well???  Mine seem to magnify by 10!!!  I’m always available by PM’s too!

Thank you, thank you for responding!

Rach

Yes!  They're magnified, alright.  Begin about 5 days before my period and about 3 days into and then will lift to my baseline yuck. Ive experimented with not cutting at all 2 weeks prior to and its the same rodeo.  Truly awful.

Are your symptoms any better now under 1mg?

Yes, PM anytime,

Some symptoms have gotten more tolerable since below 1 mg, but some not.  As with everything benzo, it’s always unpredictable, but my cycle has always been horrendous from the start of my taper.

I am ok before my cycle, then sick from day 1 until about two weeks after.  I then have a week of ok, then it starts all over.  I have tried progesterone cream and it was horrible so I know that won’t work.  I too have tried not to taper around my cycle, but like you, it doesn’t matter, so I push forward.

You are almost under 1 mg as well...it’s nice to be so low, but I had hoped things would get better but they haven’t.  :(

Good luck and let’s pray and hope the patch helps, even if a little!

Rach

Was really hoping to see improvements on these lower dosages; but alas, not to be. I’m getting hit with some nasty physical ones making me gunshy to keep pushing forward at a reasonable pace but know off is needed.

What are your 2 toughest symptoms under 1?

Ss

My two toughest symptoms are headaches/migraines, that are daily to varying intensity and then this weird dizziness/pressure/concrete/hangover feeling in my head!!!  I hate it and it’s bad.

I have a host of other symptoms too, but the head stuff is horrible!  Oh, plus this mentrual stuff. Argh!

What are yours???

So strange how these poisons hit people differently.

Mine is all physical: akasthesia, inner vibrations, trash compactor muscles and these nighttime blasts of cortisol/adrenaline that leave me vibrating and burning for hours. 😕

We need off, Rach, and begin the healing.

Yeah so weird how each person is affected differently!  I used to have those cortisol/adrenaline surges as well, but I also had a horrible bout of depression for which I desperately needed on something. I took Remeron and it helped my appetite, those rises, my sleep and I feel lessened the intensity of wds.  But it came at a price, I’ve gained all my weight back, plus 20 lbs and I’m only taking 1.75 mg’s.

I’ll deal with that beast when I’m done tapering my benzo.

Yes, we for sure need off and begin truly healing!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,  I finally got my labs done for hormone issues.  It seems they are in the low normal range, but nothing too bad.  However, due to my long issues surrounding my cycle, the severe PMS issues, and the biggest factor in which I’ve been having my period every two weeks, my GYN wants me to start a continuous low dose birth control (I’ll only have my period every 3 months).

Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone has started birth control during their tapers and what their  experiences were.

I am really nervous as I have been reading through old posts and notice progesterone acts on GABA, I just am not sure where to go from here with that info.

Thank you-

Rach

Rach, I wish I had an answer but my issue is I haven't had a period in four months. I took Ativan from 12/8 to 2/26 less than prescribed and not every day.

Am I reading your signature right that you too a Benzo for one month and have been tapering for three years? Or am I reading it wrong?

Rach, I wish I had an answer but my issue is I haven't had a period in four months. I took Ativan from 12/8 to 2/26 less than prescribed and not every day.

Am I reading your signature right that you too a Benzo for one month and have been tapering for three years? Or am I reading it wrong?

FakeItTilYouMakeIt-

Lol, yes, you are reading it right!!!  I took it, like you, as prescribed on a lower dose, for only a month and have been tapering for 3 years!  Amazing, right!!!  I am super, super sensitive, had no idea for a long time what was happening and had never been on anything before, so I didn’t realize how these could be addicting until it was too late.

Do not get discouraged by my time line, I finally found a pace and a micro taper that worked for me, but for a year and a half I was clueless as to why I was so sick.  Many people do year or maybe a bit longer (or shorter) to complete.  I figured if I had a clue what I was doing it would have taken me a year or year and a half.  I’m also a ultra rapid metabolizer of benzos so my body doesn’t use or metabolize them like others, which they think is due to my celiacs disease.  That was diagnosed 6 years ago.

Anywho, don’t be discouraged!

Rach

I am at least four years out and doing better in many ways. I have had a lot of abdominal and back pain for the past two years and many non-invasive tests to check it out. All has come back fine. The suggestion now is that I might have endometriosis and the only way to check for that is through laparoscopic surgery. It is and isn't a little thing. But I don't want to go down this road if it could still just be benzo hold over. So, has anyone ever had suspected endometriosis turn out to be nothing? Can benzo symptoms mimic endometriosis type symptoms? Is that a thing?

Thanks,

Peace

• 2 months later...

I'm in such bad shape. I can barely type. I've been taking low-dose progesterone cream (I am postmenopausal) through most of withdrawal. Yesterday morning I decided to try reducing it, as I thought it might be causing the depression. I lowered it by one fourth and after a few hours the depression lifted, then anxiety started and got bad. Before bed I took my usual progesterone dosage, but anxieity, fear, insomnia, myoclonic jerks, pain, muscle spasms and more all sx from earliest days returned all night. Have I traded benzos for progesterone? I prayed to die all night. I can't stand this any more. Can anyone please help me?

MirandaJane

I'm in such bad shape. I can barely type. I've been taking low-dose progesterone cream (I am postmenopausal) through most of withdrawal. Yesterday morning I decided to try reducing it, as I thought it might be causing the depression. I lowered it by one fourth and after a few hours the depression lifted, then anxiety started and got bad. Before bed I took my usual progesterone dosage, but anxieity, fear, insomnia, myoclonic jerks, pain, muscle spasms and more all sx from earliest days returned all night. Have I traded benzos for progesterone? I prayed to die all night. I can't stand this any more. Can anyone please help me?

MirandaJane

I don't know if I can help but I can tell you my experience.  When I was on the cream, quite a while before benzo's, I couldn't get a level dose each time and it being level was very important for my migraines, so I had to switch to the pills.  Once I did that, everything settled down.  I take the pills still and have no problems.  Try going back to your normal dose and talk to your Dr if you want to lower your dose.  I have never noticed mine causing any depression.  Good luck..🍀

Mary, thank you so much for your response. Did you stay on progesterone while tapering from benzos, and if so, did it cause a problem? Would you mind telling me what brand you took and what dose? You can PM me if you wish. I'm so scared of making any small change because I am so sensitive, but I understand the importance of consistency in dosage. I feel like I'm dependent on another drug! Thank  you again.

MirandaJane

Mary, thank you so much for your response. Did you stay on progesterone while tapering from benzos, and if so, did it cause a problem? Would you mind telling me what brand you took and what dose? You can PM me if you wish. I'm so scared of making any small change because I am so sensitive, but I understand the importance of consistency in dosage. I feel like I'm dependent on another drug! Thank  you again.

MirandaJane

Progesterone 100mg cap, yes, have taken them all through tapering, np problems.  My guess it's your benzo's causing the depression but still talk to Dr about it ;)

• 2 months later...
Hi. Dont know what I do wrong but I was suppose to post a new thread here. If you are postmenopausual since 4 years (Im 60) can benzo or w /d benzo make any problems with your hormones? I stopped benzo about 1.5 ago with horrible w/d during taper. But for three weeks its better. Well I got  urinarythracht problems last week (more peeing pain over bladder) , like an infection but it went away 4 days ago. I guess my question is : when you are thru menopause as I am can benzostop make any problems with hormones. Sorry for my swinglish..

I take testosterone injections as a result of testicular cancer.  I feel like everytime I have the shot it gives me a major setback on my Ativan withdrawal.  Is this related or just in my head?

I take testosterone injections as a result of testicular cancer.  I feel like everytime I have the shot it gives me a major setback on my Ativan withdrawal.  Is this related or just in my head?

I AM SO SORRY YOU ARE HAVING A TIME OF IT. 

A bit of info, you may already know - Testosterone often stimulates the brain and most certainly affects various neurotransmitters and thereby affecting your w/d. It is not just in your head.

Hormone therapy plays a huge role in our tapering, symptoms, and healing. As you have your testosterone level monitored for a safe and therapeutic level, I would also wonder if a different form of testosterone might be better tolerated by your body and brain.

some Hormone therapies are greatly affected by a benzo in that it causes rapid metabolism of HRT for many.  This can also be documented by regular blood labs.

Perhaps your body would better tolerate T therapy on in smoother and a bit more even dose daily. Have you noticed that when shortly after you get your injection that you have an increase in testosterone levels and then over time, days, weeks, it slowly tapers down to less level and then you get a boost after the shot.  so you are experiencing a swing of levels over the course of 4 weeks. this can be hard on a fragile brain that is striving to recover and heal.

These are just a few thoughts, i know there are others who have a great deal more than can contribute.  :smitten:

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the following:

I am perimenopasue (cycles gone from 28 days five years ago to anything from 19-32; also missing the odd period) and have been off drugs for a couple of years (have taken rescue doses).

I was wondering if anyone gets buzzing, twitching and chronic insomnia without the hot sweats.

I have no idea if this is WD or peri.

I am a mess but cannot take HRT as hormones make me extremely unwell.

Thankyou

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the following:

I am perimenopasue (cycles gone from 28 days five years ago to anything from 19-32; also missing the odd period) and have been off drugs for a couple of years (have taken rescue doses).

I was wondering if anyone gets buzzing, twitching and chronic insomnia without the hot sweats.

I have no idea if this is WD or peri.

I am a mess but cannot take HRT as hormones make me extremely unwell.

Thankyou

Hey Rubikscube, couple questions

Did you have a rough time after end of taper or smooth?  Insomnia and night sweats definitely peri, explain just a little better buzzing and twitching  :)

Hi Mary,

Thank you for replying. I've been rough for over twenty years as I was constantly on and off benzos and sleeping pills. I have been ill for two decades which I am convinced is due to taking so many drugs (all prescribed for chronic fatigue and insomnia...due to the pills!)

I Buzz and vibrate a lot which could be thyroid, peri or withdrawal. I think I have a double whammy!

X

I was wondering if anyone could let me know if my cycles would be seen as irregular. I know people talk about irregular cycles but I can't actually find any details on how irregular they have to be to be classed irregular in peri!!!

Five years ago, I was regular (28 days). Every year since then they have been getting a day or two shorter. Three years ago they were approximately every 24 days with the odd 28 or 19.

The last two years I will have cycles similar to this:

Etc etc

Then this year I have missed one period and have slightly more irregular cycles (24,19,24,24, 32 etc)

I never really have large swings between each period (i seem to have 24 days for a couple of months and then a short or long one),

Are these irregular enough to constitute perimenopause?

I am 45.

Apologies if this seems like a really stupid question.  :idiot: but I thought perhaps every period had to be at least six or seven days difference from the one before and i do not have that every month.

Most of your symptoms imo sound peri and you really have such broken sleep from night sweats, that could be making you toss and turn.  The buzzing and twitching I can't answer because I don't understand exactly what you mean.  But your periods again in my opinion, sound peri.  But if you are worried, go to the Dr just to relax your mind.  You don't have to take hurt, they have other thing to help.  Good luck  ;). Mary ☮️🙏💜

[90...]

For me it was the other way around. My menopause symptoms were harder to deal with and my hormonal (progesterone induced) insomnia doesn't respond to sleep aids as easily. Also, at least with the benzo stuff I know the end is in sight - hormones not so much...... :(

Ditto on managing hormones being harder to understand than tapering benzos.  My insomnia issues were definitely caused more by hormonal imbalance than benzo withdrawal.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Same here!!!! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I am almost eighteen months past jumping, after a two and a half year taper from benzos, and I'm worse than when I started tapering, worse than acute. Does anybody know why? Does this mean I will never recover? I have all the symptoms: terrible nerve and burning pain, fear, panic, depression, despair, agoraphobia, and more. Also, I have been on progesterone since my first year of tapering (I am postmenopausal), recommended by my therapist. I did not know it acted like a "soft" benzo. Am I in tolerance withdrawal from the progesterone? I have tried tapering, and the symptoms ramp up to intolerable. I feel trapped. I have no life. Can anyone please help.

MirandaJane

I am almost eighteen months past jumping, after a two and a half year taper from benzos, and I'm worse than when I started tapering, worse than acute. Does anybody know why? Does this mean I will never recover? I have all the symptoms: terrible nerve and burning pain, fear, panic, depression, despair, agoraphobia, and more. Also, I have been on progesterone since my first year of tapering (I am postmenopausal), recommended by my therapist. I did not know it acted like a "soft" benzo. Am I in tolerance withdrawal from the progesterone? I have tried tapering, and the symptoms ramp up to intolerable. I feel trapped. I have no life. Can anyone please help.

MirandaJane

Following

MirandaJane

I can't really help, only to tell you I'm in the same boat. I'm so sorry you suffering too.

I'm 30 months out benzo and 10 months  out remeron, stoped 4 mg projesterone cream 2 weeks ago

I have terrible burning head/ scalp pain, neuropathy pain all over my body, muscles spasm left side of my body, heart feels like getting heart attack any minute, chest pain fair, severed anxiety, toxic sleep, night sweats, depression....

I was not doing good on projesterone cream and my doctor told me to stop and I wanted to see if the cream is blocking my healing too.

Now my anxiety more severe and have no idea should I go back on it or suffer trough. I don't know if my heart will able to. Is non stop shaking.

I will be 1 year in December with no period. All my hormonal is very very low and my DHEAS is very high and my cortisone is very high.

Is it menapouse or still a withrawl?

Anybody find some good supplements what is helping in this hell?

Can we die with severe anxiety?

Love and healing

Vica