Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

Does anyone else have more pains, etc. upon physical activity? I can be fine, then as soon as I start house work the pains come. Had all the heart tests and they check out fine.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else have more pains, etc. upon physical activity? I can be fine, then as soon as I start house work the pains come. Had all the heart tests and they check out fine.

[/quote

Yes! I have definitely noticed surprisingly severe aches and pains that get worse whenever I do any activity. Makes things really difficult. I have heard this referred to as the "Benzo Flu". I struggle to do any exercise at all between the palps, tachycardia and aches and pains. A hot bath and Mg glycenate helps me a bit,  but I think we just have to get through it. In the mean time I do as much as I can and also rest up as much as I can.

Hope you feel better soon!

Mo

I can't tell if my chest pains are worse during physical activity,  but the amount of my arrhythmia definitely does.  I do however also get pain when not under any kind of physical activity.

If my arrhythmia would get better I'd call myself 95% healed and be writing my success story in short order.

My heart issues, and by extension my disautotonamia-like symptoms do a number on me mentally.  They are a constant source of worry.

Hi heart buddies,

I agree with you that, without this heart racing and palps, I'd be writing my success story.  Unless the cortisol surging and anxiety are still with me.  Then I'd have to wait.  Four symptoms to go.  Ugh!

I can't tell if my chest pains are worse during physical activity,  but the amount of my arrhythmia definitely does.  I do however also get pain when not under any kind of physical activity.

If my arrhythmia would get better I'd call myself 95% healed and be writing my success story in short order.

My heart issues, and by extension my disautotonamia-like symptoms do a number on me mentally.  They are a constant source of worry.

Hi,

Due to Palps, tachycardia and fluctuating blood pressure, in consultation with my wonderful cardio doc, I have ended up on a low dose of extended release metoprolol (a beta blocker) taken every day, and fast acting propranolol (another beta blocker) taken as needed, and it seems to have helped me quite a bit, although I am still micro tapering. The disadvantage is that I will have to taper of off these, too, over a few months, but I have done it before and it's NOTHING like Benzo tapering! Plus, I'm at very low doses. And, not everyone feels good on beta blockers, although there are some interesting studies suggesting they may work well at very low doses for dys autonomic pts.

Another thing that my cardio doc suggested is that I do "seated" cardio exercises, like rowing or stationary biking and that I break the sessions up into smaller (or in my case very small) sessions throughout the day. Sitting while exercising puts less stress on your autonomic nervous system as it tries to maintain your BP when you are standing upright, while shorter sessions is also less depleting and gives your body time to recover between sessions rather than wiping you out all in one session. I do 5 minutes at a time about 2  - 3 times a day AND I have to rest a day in between, but I started this taper journey with existing hear issues so you're going to be way ahead of me there! However, I find this strategy has allowed me to at least exercise some during the w/d.

The beta blockers seem to both slow or regulate the heart rate for me, plus they can help with dysautonomia by affecting adrenal and cortisol surges. BUT, do your homework before taking them...I see them as a necessary "evil" right now that is helping me through this ordeal and not something I would choose to take lightly!

Other things I have read are good for these sorts of sxs are a mitochondria supporting diet. You can google this and see the various suggestions.

Good luck!

Mo

Any body have a faster heart rate with any movement? My resting hr is great in the 60s but as soon as I get up its 130-150......Will this end? Is it dangerous?

I took a beta blocker and it brought it down but also took my resting hr to the 40s and didn't feel good there..

Stopped the bb two days ago (3mg) atenolol) and now wonder if part of the increase is from stopping it

. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks

Nomne

To answer your first question......

Your describing POTS.  It's kind of a disautotonamia.  I had it very bad for months 1-9.  Only in the last week or 2 has it started to settle down. 

In the last week I'm noticing some improvements in my cardiovascular system responses.  Hope it continues to calm down.  It was quite debilitating for a while.

not sure.

If you have a decently high resting HR and good blood pressure, a low dose beta blocker can supposedly help with mild pots.

POTS is also treated a few different ways....

Make sure to stay very hydrated with a decent amount of sodium intake to help you retain water.

Exercise

Nomne,

You don't have POTS.  You are in WD.  Withdrawal mimics POTS symptoms, but you didn't have POTS before WD and you won't have it after WD.

Love, Sofa

Nomne,

I've had a fast heart since I jumped CT.  It's my worst most predominant symptom.  When this is over, I expect to have a good strong slow heartbeat.  I took 1/2 a beta blocker two times when I couldn't get my heart rate down, but I don't anymore because my BP is always low normal and I don't want to screw up something that actually works right these days.

You just got up too fast.  Your heart rate goes up when you do that.  My heart rate goes up when I poop, so there ya go.  Some things aren't WD. 

You'll be okay.  Worrying about your heart rate will give you a fast heart rate.  Trust me.  I know from experience.

Love, Sofa

My worst symptom was heartpalps... I will be 2 years free Dec 4th... my palps are now less and less, it has taken 2 years to get to this point. Msg, gluten, gmo, are some things I had to stay away from... I lost allot of weight and slowly i am getting to fat. I say I'm still healing but heart palps for me were the.worst... I took attenol as needed per my dr.. only the bad episodes, stay hydrated 4 sure... I'm here if u wanna chat. I'm not on here much but stop here now and again in hopes to write my success story.. best of luck try.to refrain from more meds time is the healer.

Sorry nomne3. 

I've been on these boards so long that sometimes I forget to give the, it's due to W/D disclaimer.

nomne, you likely don't have POTS that associated with common causes of said syndrome.  Your POTS type symptoms are common to, and probably from W/D.

I don't like to say "It's not such and such, it's withdrawal".    I think this W/D truly does cause certain conditions and side effects.  What I don't believe is that it's permanent.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you have POTS as a W/D symptom.  It's no different than saying you have diarrhea as a w/d symptom.  Sure your diarrhea isn't caused by any of the most common triggers to the general population, but you have it all the same.

We don't say, you don't have diarrhea it's w/d, do we?  Of course not.  You got the runs dude!  It is what it is.

Same with POTS as far as I'm concerned.    I didn't have it before withdrawal.  I do now, confirmed by tilt table test by my EP. 

Do I think it's permanent?  No. 

Thanks for the reply....i was left feeling rather discouraged.....had to go away for a while.....this heart stuff gets me... I just cannot tolerate the beta blockers and wish I had never taken any of them... the propranolol was fantastic about totally stopping the twitches and jerks but landed me in er twice.. ..the atenolol. Leaves me nervous.. and the metoprolol chest pains... I am disgusted with myself for ever putting them in my body, the palps were just so  bad I couldn't stand it...

The bb can stop the increased rate but takes my resting rate too low, even at only 3mg...getting off of them is apparently real easy for some... and not so easy for others...

The morning surges are back with a vengeance... the bb had those stopped also...

16 months yesterday.........

It's just so damned hard to distract when you can hardly get up...

nomne,

I totally get the heart stuff.  I really really do. 

Anxiety and fear over my benign and minimal pvc's are what got me into this mess with z-drugs and benzos.

The amount of crap my heart does now, in w/d, has really done a number on me mentally. I'd give anything to go back to the levels of arrhythmia I had before all this crap.

If you want to vent about the heart sx's message me anytime.  Misery loves company.    :sick:

My worst symptom was heartpalps... I will be 2 years free Dec 4th... my palps are now less and less, it has taken 2 years to get to this point. Msg, gluten, gmo, are some things I had to stay away from... I lost allot of weight and slowly i am getting to fat. I say I'm still healing but heart palps for me were the.worst... I took attenol as needed per my dr.. only the bad episodes, stay hydrated 4 sure... I'm here if u wanna chat. I'm not on here much but stop here now and again in hopes to write my success story.. best of luck try.to refrain from more meds time is the healer.

Happy, I remember you've had a hard time with these palps for a long time. I'm so happy to hear they're finally fading for you. Thanks for updating us too. We need as much hope as possible. I still have had no relief. Other stuff is better, but not the heart stuff.

I've mentioned before but I'll say it again....

I absolutely avoid chamomile tea like the plague.  I drank so much in the beginning but never made the connection until months later. 

Aside from the fact that it does interact with gaba,  it gives me terrible pounding heart within about 30 minutes.  It is a vaso-constrictor which tightens up blood vessels.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine happens most when I need to pass a stool- feels like Im about to have a heart attack and have to breath slowly.

I know piles (hemeroids) can do this too.

Every day you think your gonna die with this thing and then you don't..you keep living!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else had this?

Anybody know why we randomly have "storms" of palps during WD? In a usual day I get about 30-50. Then for seemingly no reason I get 1000s of them in a 24 hour period. It's been like this for 2 years with no pattern. Anyone know what causes this?

Nova,

I have no idea, but I've had the no apparent pattern of palps since my jump 13 months ago.

Ah, thanks for the reply. This is such a torturous sx. It is slightly reassuring that I'm not the only one though. But I'm sorry you have it.