Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

Nova,

Never heard it called "storms" of palps before but that's a good description..I too get hundreds some days and very few others with no reasoning or pattern to it. I have seen great improvements over the last few weeks and only can pray it holds.. Today... maybe two palps all day....for me they not only vary in number but also in intensity..and today are very weak..

Geek, I also drank chamomile tea in the beginning and now avoid it totally... My fast hr has slowed.. still fast sometimes but bearable.. the palps come and go

Wishing all could be rid of this nasty symptom.. it is by far my worst...

Nomne

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys and Gals on this thread.  I feel for you greatly.  My palps are fewer and heartrate is in the 60s and 70s now, used to be 85 to 100.  It was pointed out to me by my massage therapist the what I feel many others would not even notice because of my sensitivity to my body functions.  I thought about it, she is right from the standpoint that I do feel everything that "cranks up" or "surprises me".  I suspect it is the autonomic nervous system just trying to figure out what to do.  My BP still spikes between 2 and 4 pm everyday, can't pin it on anything in particular.  I don't always have an irregular heartbeat at that time, just can "feel" a  pounding in my chest that isn't there all of the time.  Thanks for all of the info imparted to us, I file it away for more understanding about what affects the body.

Sweet pea

Nova,

Never heard it called "storms" of palps before but that's a good description..I too get hundreds some days and very few others with no reasoning or pattern to it. I have seen great improvements over the last few weeks and only can pray it holds.. Today... maybe two palps all day....for me they not only vary in number but also in intensity..and today are very weak..

Geek, I also drank chamomile tea in the beginning and now avoid it totally... My fast hr has slowed.. still fast sometimes but bearable.. the palps come and go

Wishing all could be rid of this nasty symptom.. it is by far my worst...

Nomne

I'm very happy to hear the palps are easing up for you! I hope it only gets better!

I've been experiencing severe palpitations while tapering off ativan. Does anyone of you try to take

propranolol as a temporary solution for this kind of racing heart? It is recommended on the benzo.org.uk website. Heart palpitations can be very scary for me especially in the morning may lead to panic attack. Any thoughts about getting rid of these nasty palps?

Hey Rick. Welcome to the club no one wants to be a part of! Sorry you're having these nasty things. It seems to be a pretty common sx. I've personally chosen not to take any medication for them, but there are others around here who are taking something and I'm sure someone will share their experience.

The panic attacks faded away for me a few months after I was done with my taper. If you haven't already, I would recommend visiting a cardiologist to rule out any serious problem. Just getting the knowledge that these palpitations are normal for withdrawal, and harmless goes a long way towards easing the anxiety.

Last week I would have sworn that the benzos had turned me loose. I was happy and my old self again. This week, depression has returned along with the anxiety and heart palps. How do you figger out these benzos? There is no rhyme or reason to the madness!

Hello Rick

I have taken propranolol both for palpitations and fast heart rate.

It worked but had side effects I couldn't handle. the only thing I learnt was a little goes a long way for myself and quite a few other folks here..

I could take a quarter of a pill  or 2.5 mg and it stopped the palps and slowed my heart rate. I did at first take more than that. the first time was fine but there after was not. I ended up in er twice .. apparently only 5 mg would slow my heart rate so low that my blood pressure would jump to try  and make up for it which gave me severe chest pain.. took a little while to figure out.. especially since more than 150 mg is frequently prescribed for high blood pressure...  so I was taking an incredibly low dose... I have been off beta blockers just over  2 weeks... my hr still jumps up sometimes, a problem I never had before the beta blockers.. I just had really bad palpatations.. and I suspect it is from stopping the beta blocker.. they say you must wean off of it.. some folks do this really easily and some have a hard time with rebound problems.. I did find at 2.5 mg it also took all the shakes and tremors away..which was really nice..

some people have great luck with bbs and some don't, I think it is a very individual thing..

just be careful

Nomne

One interesting thing I've noticed with my pots symptoms and tachy/pounding heart.....   

I've started taking my blood pressure when my heart is pounding away and noticed that it's actually low a lot of the time. 

I think for some of us unlucky ones with the cardiac sx's, our vascular system gets a little confused during this process.  I have read that there are a high concentration of gaba receptors in your heart and related smooth muscle systems.   

I will say that when I'm getting better sleep ( ie, NOT in a wave) my heart sx's are 85% reduced.    I have to accommodate my sleep patterns right now to keep my sx in check.  I'm now a year off z drugs and mid january will be a year off benzo's.  My sleep is still wonky.  I have to be in bed reading by 8 and lights out by 9 because I'm awake at 5 and 6 and 7 am usually.  If I can keep that level of sleep up then I'm in a better place with my heart SX.

Hello Rick

I have taken propranolol both for palpitations and fast heart rate.

It worked but had side effects I couldn't handle. the only thing I learnt was a little goes a long way for myself and quite a few other folks here..

I could take a quarter of a pill  or 2.5 mg and it stopped the palps and slowed my heart rate. I did at first take more than that. the first time was fine but there after was not. I ended up in er twice .. apparently only 5 mg would slow my heart rate so low that my blood pressure would jump to try  and make up for it which gave me severe chest pain.. took a little while to figure out.. especially since more than 150 mg is frequently prescribed for high blood pressure...  so I was taking an incredibly low dose... I have been off beta blockers just over  2 weeks... my hr still jumps up sometimes, a problem I never had before the beta blockers.. I just had really bad palpatations.. and I suspect it is from stopping the beta blocker.. they say you must wean off of it.. some folks do this really easily and some have a hard time with rebound problems.. I did find at 2.5 mg it also took all the shakes and tremors away..which was really nice..

some people have great luck with bbs and some don't, I think it is a very individual thing..

just be careful

Nomne

Hi Nomne!

So, according to your experience the propranolol is really scary drug (you have been in ER).

You suggest to take it in low doses otherwise it can be dangerous... Yeah, I have to be cautious, maybe

there are milder medications or any herbal solutions for my morning palps/racing heart.

Thanks a lot for sharing your propranolol story. Take care of yourself.

Rick

I guess its like any drug now in a post benzo body.. it may be scary or may be fine.. everyone and their reactions are individual..for me its a very different reaction than pre benzo..

best of luck

Nomne

Heart Buddies,

These racing heart palps are brutal.  I can't figure out a pattern either.  I took a fish oil supplement.  Could that be it?

Sofa

Heart Buddies,

These racing heart palps are brutal.  I can't figure out a pattern either.  I took a fish oil supplement.  Could that be it?

Sofa

Hey Sofa!

We're on the same boat, unfortunately. This palps are I guess the worst thing, because they can easily trigger your anxiety/panic attack and cause your irregular sleeping pattern. Well, I do really know what you've been going thru. I think we need other medications to conquer these nasty palps. Keep it up with your recovery :).

I just made a connection which taking melatonin more than a couple of nights in a row, with an increase in palps.

confirmed by a quick google.

ARGH  so frustrating.....  I've been taking melatonin on and off all through my WD

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Thanks for the info g33k.  I look occasionally at that bottle of melatonin I purchased about 15 months ago.  Needing restful sleep but too afraid to try it because of what else it might cause.  Now I know a possibility.  Keep it for later when I am more healed.  Heart palp causes are just so varied.  If our bodies came with an instruction manual it would be soooooo much easier, we are stuck with the trial and error method in the meantime.

Sweet pea

Ya

I'm starting to realize that I have to acknowledge the pattern that is, nothing will likely work except time.

Too sensitive to many things.

Ya

I'm starting to realize that I have to acknowledge the pattern that is, nothing will likely work except time.

Too sensitive to many things.

There is a purpose for all this!! I just wish I knew what it is!!

Try hot milk before bed for sleep.  It makes me groggy.  I still wake up at 2:30am though and can't get back to sleep, even if I drink another cup of hot milk.  I just burp a lot.

Hi guys first time posting in this group , nice to meet you all! Ive had heart palps on and off during my taper for 1/2 hour to an hour every now and then but not enough to worry about today and yesterday had them flat out all day so strange all of a sudden firing up like that also getting really bad derealisation along with it  . Is this normal? Im quite worried

I'm 24 months free my worst symptom hands down... its allotmless than it was I'll tell u that. Msg, gluten can also trigger palps, alcohol, sugar and salt!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

It's my first time posting here, but need your input.  I have been in withdrawal for 17 months and just the last month I have seen an increase in skipped beat episodes.  I had this once or twice before during the entire withdrawal, but in the last month and a half I have had it 4 times.  I get a series of skipped beats, less than 10, then 10 or so minutes later I feel weak and a little shaky.  I called my doctor on this last one and I'm still waiting to hear back, but my wife asked me to see if you guys have any input.  Going to the doctor used to be no problem, but earlier this year I lost my job and our new insurance is pretty horrible.

As a background, a year and a half ago I got my heart checked and they said there wasn't a problem.  I'm thinking it is probably electrolyte related, but I do eat a diet high in magnesium and potassium (vegan), so I just don't understand why this is going on.  Anyone else have this start this far out?

It is a great idea to get checked by a Dr. for anything heart related, but benign skipped beats are so common for us.

It is a bit strange for them to start so far out but I have a theory. I've had them every day since my tapering days at varying degrees. November and December I had one of my worst waves of palps ever. (This is my 18th month). When I'm at my baseline I have less than 50 per day, during waves I have 100s of them. So maybe when you're at your baseline they remain under the surface because it's not as bad a sx for you as it is for some people? Maybe they "surface" in a really bad wave? That's the only theory I can come up with. Does that make sense?

I hope you feel better soon. This heart stuff is no fun whatsoever.

try and not panic about them. Wait for your doctor to investigate.

I have had holter monitor results of 5-6 k a day.  I can feel every single one lucky me.

Thanks wonder,

I have an appt. on Monday.  I don't remember feeling these except for a few times throughout this "adventure."  I can definitely feel them and the wave I feel comes after them, but it's happening too often for comfort now, so we'll see what the doctor says. 

Sorry you're dealing with these as well... as you said, heart stuff is not fun!