Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

Has anybody had issues with Atrial Flutter during withdrawal? I am thinking that may be what I am experiencing - had an ablation for afib about 9 years ago but no symptoms of that since - just PACs and tachcardia (flutter?) since...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's the latest on my heart issues....

Have an appt with cardiologist next week, but over the last couple of days - very stressful and busy, family visiting and lots of tooling around all over - my irregular beats and pain/soreness/under my ribcage got to be too much, and I went to my PDoc for an EKG. She said all good: bp low, pulse steady (she could not catch even one ectopic beat) blah blah. I left, and she called me back an hour later to say that she'd compared my ekg with my last one, and found an inverted T wave that might indicate ischemia, infarction, coronary artery disease, etc. The cardiologist has called to have me come in today to get an echo and a Holter. But the two have also talked, and cardio told her he has a very low index of suspicion that I have any heart damage - on paper at least I am too healthy. I eat Paleo, high good cholesterol and all inflammation markers are good, exercise and feel fine while doing so, etc. I also feel absolutely fine this morning. Has anyone else had a T wave issue with an EKG during withdrawal - caused by withdrawal?? My stomach has been awful since the beginning of w/d from gabapentin, so could it still just be stomach/anxiety/w/d??

• 2 weeks later...

Callydex-I too had the same symptoms and somehow had an inverted T wave which I never had before about two years post jump. Scared the hell out of me and had all the tests done.  Everything came back good. I think it’s called a non specific inverted T wave.  I asked the doc what that meant and he said “there’s no specific reason for it”. Lol. It’s just the wonders of withdrawal.

Just so everyone knows I’m approaching 4 years off and unless I do something really physically taxing my palps and all other heart stuff is 95% gone.  I had really bad chest and heart stuff.  I figure soon enough I’ll be able to exercise fully again.  This whole process really took a toll on me physically too.

I’m still dealing with crap but I’m way improved. Almost always functional and most of the stiff I have left is at a lower level of shitiness.  I still have way too migraines and head stuff(all pressure gone though), exercise intolersnce(trying to push through), muscle/joint pain, and food sensitivities(still have trouble drinking decaf..wtf).  This drug is complete garbage how it wallops us.

• 2 months later...

I’m still dealing with crap but I’m way improved. Almost always functional and most of the stiff I have left is at a lower level of shitiness.  I still have way too migraines and head stuff(all pressure gone though), exercise intolersnce(trying to push through), muscle/joint pain, and food sensitivities(still have trouble drinking decaf..wtf).  This drug is complete garbage how it wallops us.

Hi there, congrats on your quit. I take 3.5 mg klonopin, (scripted 4, sometimes waver)gradually increased over 8 years. Have had some periods on other benzos, Xanax, Librium, but it’s been mostly klonopin. I know it’s really having a negative impact on me and want off ASAP, but just removed nicotine patch recently so holding for a bit longer. I’m always interested in others experiences that have come off or are coming off clonazapam in similar amounts over similar time spans. I know we are all different, but can’t help but be interested. Do you mind telling me what percentage rate you reduced at and how you did it, when if you get the chance? You’ve been in paws for 3.5years? Has it been months of suffering at a time? Any good feelings emerge for you? Best wishes Thanks

I have a blog that I listed the whole taper on one post to help others.  I now only update about every six months so it will take some searching on the blog link.  It also lists all of my struggles and small victories along the way.  It has been a most horrific journey.  If I didn't have a super flexible schedule and understanding group of friends I would have lost everything.  even with all that I almost did. 

• 2 weeks later...

Really struggling with withdrawal induced bradycardia and what seems to be PVCs.

I often wake up to huge thuds or hollow feelings in my chest - feeling like my heart has stopped for 3 seconds or so.

When I feel this and dizziness I will often gasp and jump out of bed, trying to my heart beating again.

I also notice that when I lie still, my heart rate will start to drop towards 40, then PVCs will start automatically. It's super disconcerting and makes it extremely hard to fall asleep.

It's like ... trying to relax ... hearts beats slower ... sleepy .... heart beats slow .... massive PVC .... jolts me awake with adrenaline and anxiety ... I get panicked and get upright and try to get my heart rate up ... takes a while to come back down and try to sleep again .... then it repeats.

I'm finding it to be a nightmare. I'm hypersensitive to my own heart  beat in the same way that I'm hypersensitive to external noises. It startles me and causes huge anxiety.

I now have a 7 day heart monitor on to check everything because it's so damn disconcerting.

I'm afraid to keep tapering lower and off because every small reducation makes me heart symptoms much much worse.

Mr Eggplant :(

• 4 months later...

Hi.

Pvc'c have made a comeback after 5-6 weeks. I was so happy when this horrible symptom went away. Went to the ER saturday and i have them every 4 beats, it is super scary!! The told me it was not harmful, but i have to use a Holter monitor for 48 hours this week to be sure. My concern is that i did not feel them the same way there as i do at home, i hardly felt the pvc's at the ER, but they could See them anyway. I am afraid that there might be something else wrong. Any other pvc victims who can describe what you are feeling when you get them? I get pvc's when I'm laying on my back.

-Jann

• 2 weeks later...
I’m nervous, I recently started getting episodes of racing pounding heart that doesn’t slow down without a beta blocker. Weird thing is they always start right at bedtime ( though not every night thank God). Even with the beta blocker calming my heart I’m still too wired to fall asleep. I kept feeling hot then cold too. Anyone else have this?

Interesting that Grapejuice.. im 16monthe off and still having issues at night a few times a week. Wake up with thudding heart beat and indigestion and need the bathroom. Am hating this as it kicks up the old health anxiety. Now I wake myself up properly and have a hot drink , until I calm down .. very disruptive to sleep but not a lot I can seem to do to avoid it. Fortunately not every night ...

• 3 months later...

Hi.

I'm new. Short of short term user of ativan. I'm trying to stabilize at 0.75 mg ativan. Last night I think I slept 6 hours and I have less DP and akathisia. I'm so tired but my Heart rate has been 90 to 120 for 4 days non stop while I'm in bed. If I do anything in jumps even higher. My heart hurts. I have a phone heart rate monitor so I can check it and it never goes under 90.

Any advice? Is this normal?

Hi.

I'm new. Short of short term user of ativan. I'm trying to stabilize at 0.75 mg ativan. Last night I think I slept 6 hours and I have less DP and akathisia. I'm so tired but my Heart rate has been 90 to 120 for 4 days non stop while I'm in bed. If I do anything in jumps even higher. My heart hurts. I have a phone heart rate monitor so I can check it and it never goes under 90.

Any advice? Is this normal?

I think it is very common. It happened a great deal to me when I was trying to reduce Gabapentin and then Ativan usage, and still happens when I go down even a tiny bit with Valium. I find that Magnesium helps it a great deal.

Palps were an issue for me before the k and have gotten worse even though I'm trying to stabilize.

Was on 25 of troprol in my 20s, eventually got it down ton12m5...now back up to 25

Had a halter done other day. Doc is looking into med that decreases hr but not no too much. See him in Feb

Hope I can start tapering soon with minimal sxs 🙏

I've had heart paps and unstable blood pressure from Day one. They got better after around month 7 or 8. Needless to say they are back the past 2 weeks and wake me up at night. It is worse at night and thank God it is not every night. I usually have 4 good days and 2.5 bad ones. Be so glad when this mess is over and my cortisol, glucose, dheas, adrenals, internal tremors,ear pain and everything else balances out.

It may not be for everyone and I don't want to set anyone back but I found omega 3 fish oil at high doses (2400mg)helped calm my palps a bit. Not much but a bit. It also lowers bp too so if you're having issues with low bp please be careful!

Im also on toprol as well but can't go higher

This story is still unfolding as I type. Yesterday while at urgent care for chest pain(thought it was reflux benzo belly)I was rushed to the hospital for a heart attack. This is not an attempt to scare or convince you this isn't benzo wd, this is a warning that there can be serious problems and should be checked out by medical professionals.

2 weeks ago I got a cold from my family. At the same time I had chest pain that hurt in my back, neck, right shoulder, right arm, through my elbow into my fingers. The pain in the elbow and fingers almost made me throw up it was so bad. After a day and a half it went away. 2 weeks later(now) I'm laying in a hospital bed connected to a bunch of electronic monitoring equipment.

Could I have averted this? Maybe, maybe not. This isn't classic blockage of an artery, but a blood clot. The belief of the doctors is A-Fid and hypertension or possibly a genetic predisposition. Wont know until later.

My blood pressure sometimes when checked was high, but for the most part was 124/80 60 hr. Yesterday in urgent care it was 150/100 hr 68. All the pain I had 2 weeks prior was more and lasted 3 days straight. I took me that long to finally check it out.

The clots are in 2 places, 1 in the heart and 1 in an artery. They can't stint these, so it's a medication approach right now.

Its almost a year ago I became benzo free. It's been pretty rough the whole way. I worked so hard to be med free and healthy, now I'm on 4 or 5 meds I can't spell or pronounce. Please get checked out.

Onward and upward

• 1 month later...

Lots of heart pain lately.

Can't get out if bed without hr jumping into the 120s

Its so frustrating!

I'm getting some magnesium glycinate and hoping that helps. I can't live like this

I’m posting because I’m not sure if I have heart palpitations or not. My heart just beats really hard so I can feel it and it’s worrisome and annoying. Are these considered heart palps? I looked online and I’d tend to say yes but curious if you all are experiencing this.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone found they don't have a faster heart beat but just a stronger one? Mine is really strong and I'n not sure what's causing it. I never had this issue but went back on benzos last July for 11 days and then stopped. I think it was since then but it could also be from lyrica WD after doing a pretty quick taper off in 1 month. The thing that is worrying me is that after I eat it gets a lot worse. Even if I eat just healthy food like even a salad my heart rate quickens and gets a lot stronger. I have a beta blocker but I don't really wanna use them if it's gonna act like a band-aid because Last time I took 60mg propronol my tinnitus spiked for a few days.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone found they don't have a faster heart beat but just a stronger one? Mine is really strong and I'n not sure what's causing it. I never had this issue but went back on benzos last July for 11 days and then stopped. I think it was since then but it could also be from lyrica WD after doing a pretty quick taper off in 1 month. The thing that is worrying me is that after I eat it gets a lot worse. Even if I eat just healthy food like even a salad my heart rate quickens and gets a lot stronger. I have a beta blocker but I don't really wanna use them if it's gonna act like a band-aid because Last time I took 60mg propronol my tinnitus spiked for a few days.

What is a strong heart rhythm?

My heart has done every trick in the book and it hospitalized me several times. I know which heart feelings are benign and which need emergency medicine after all this. 

I am guessing you are referring to a simple pounding heart.

I'm not sure but I get mild, moderate even severe at time heart pain and palpitations.  Very uncomfortable!!!.  But I did get it checked out and everything, EKG and Echo came back normal.  I do have a fast rhythm sometimes or a bit slower but nothing structurally wrong with my heart.  It's just alarming and takes my breath away!!! It is one of my most prominent SX's. 

Wow, you're brave, dealing with congenital heart defects, that many PVC's, seizure migraine disorder and benzo wd on top of it all. My heart goes out to you. You're awesome  :smitten:

I may have gotten an occasional palp prior benzo use, but was basically a non-event for me. Didn't care one bit. Even when I was on 0.5mg lorazepam, it was a non-issue. What changed things big time for me is getting into that regular lorazepam dose of 2.5mg a day. That's when BP and HR started to really fluctuate between the dosing. Since I am a newbie and wasn't spreading doses out correctly, I'd get these frequent episodes of resting HR being around 105-107. I still get around 100, but it is better now. Worried about the fast HR, I asked the Dr. for beta-blocker and that did the trick, but slowing the pulse down (my normal resting pulse when taking 0.5mg Lorazepam was around 86) started the PVC's. I was also trying to do too much on that day, and started doing 5mg of valium and knocking down lorazepam to 2.0. Well, this led to 2 sleepless nights and an ER visit where they did and EKG, Chest X Ray and gave me to 2mg of lorazepam. Wish I never went, as they just destabilized my dosing.

A week later, I decided to cut valium ct, as it seems to have been lowering my HR and my systolic BP, while diastolic was staying border-line. So, I was ending up with type of 120/90 BP, 81 HR and a bunch of PVC's (I guess that's it since my BP monitor calls it "irregular heartbeat detected"). Going back to lorazepam alone, since it's easier for me to tolerate the HR changes than the PVC's. I think I am staying off the beta-blocker, too, as the way it lowers my HR also triggers PVC's. Plus, one of the side effects of diazepam. Then, I read something about Omeprazole potentiating Diazepam, which may have caused me more trouble. So, from now, I am keeping it simple: just straight lorazepam taper without any beta blocker (unless it's an emergency where my HR gets to 150 or something) or second benzo. The benzo fluctuations are bad enough, and I am now realizing that adding more stuff to the mix is just bound to destabilize things even more.

LorazepamFree2015, (very positive screen name, I like that!)

Thank you for that detailed information on your experiences! It is so hard to figure this stuff out since benzos are so different for everyone and my docs, while good are not that experienced with it. Reading about your experiences makes me think more about my own situation, which is helpful since it broadens my data base.

In re the Omeprazole, I was not aware of it potentiating the Diazepam, but as a cardiac patient, it is on the list of drugs I'm not encouraged to take because it has been shown to cause palps and arrhythmia in some patients. Also, some people experience more palps when they have digestive disorders and Omeprazole seems to help some, but make others worse.

It is really interesting to me that you felt more PVCs with the beta blocker slowing your HR, since I think that has been the case with me as well. This fast heart rate may not be good for me (might be okay for little awhile, I will have to see what the doc says) but I am really LOVING not having debilitating PVCs all day, every day! Not really brave — I have had my share of frightening times and panicky feelings, but I AM lucky in that I have always been okay!

It is also interesting that you associate HR sxs with Valium usage. I will have to think about that more...I just want off this stuff, but I would rather have as few sxs as possible!

BTW, my BP monitor says "Irregular Heart Beat Detected" all the time, which in my case it usually is, but my husband, who is in such good shape that he has a naturally low resting heart rate (around 55-60) gets the same message a lot, too...

Thanks again for taking the time to share that information with me! I hope you are soon feeling better. One of the things a cardiologist from Brigham & Womens Hospital told me recently was that, "With palpitations and PVCs they come and then they go...we don't know why, but they do!" So, it's highly likely you WILL get relief from these.

Regards,

Mo

Hi,

your from Boston too!!! Do you have a doc that is using the Ashton Method with you? I did to find a doctor and can't and am half way thru my taper.

Thanks in advance!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m nervous, I recently started getting episodes of racing pounding heart that doesn’t slow down without a beta blocker. Weird thing is they always start right at bedtime ( though not every night thank God). Even with the beta blocker calming my heart I’m still too wired to fall asleep. I kept feeling hot then cold too. Anyone else have this?

Yes. The exact same thing. Laying on my back, I can watch my chest quiver with a thump, blip, or skip. It's been rough the past 5 days. Big increase in palpitations,, chills then hot. And wave after wave of panic. I wish you health, and peace of mind. I feel so sleep deprived, I am losing perspective.

What is a strong heart rhythm?

My heart has done every trick in the book and it hospitalized me several times. I know which heart feelings are benign and which need emergency medicine after all this. 

I am guessing you are referring to a simple pounding heart.

I have been feeling skips and blips for 5 days. Very frequent.  Adrenaline and cortisol surges. Like a nonstop panic attack from the minute I get up until I collapse from exhaustion.  Does anything help? My beta blocker doesn't  seem to be doing  jack.